2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Overall gpa: 3.59
Science gpa: 3.17
MCAT: 485 (extremely low, I plan to retake)
- academic honor society member
- tutor for chemistry
- EC/ leadership : a lot of orgs that I joined and eventually became an exec board member for a club
- Volunteering: 300+ hours

I know my MCAT is most likely the reason why I haven’t received anything yet but I heard they screen holistically so I just gave it a shot

Members don't see this ad.

- tutor for chemistry
- EC/ leadership : a lot of orgs that I joined and eventually became an exec board member for a club

I know my MCAT is most likely the reason why I haven’t received anything yet but I heard they screen holistically so I just gave it a shot

Even if you don't get through the stat screen I believe they still do a personal check on your app to see if you would be a good fit so you still have a shot.

- tutor for chemistry

I do believe they have a couple cut offs given in this document...

Attachments

• UTRGV Flowchart.pdf
    548.2 KB · Views: 133
Members don't see this ad :)
Video viewed yesterday. Submitted 8/20. For those with II's, how long after your video was submitted/viewed did you receive your II?

Video viewed yesterday. Submitted 8/20. For those with II's, how long after your video was submitted/viewed did you receive your II?
Submitted video secondary 8/1, viewed and received II 8/6

- tutor for chemistry

I've spoken with some AC members [this is no secret]: An pplication/applicant is automatically moved into a pool to be screened by a real live AC member *if* MCAT ≥ 500 [and all sub-tests ≥ 122] *and* GPAoverall ≥ 3.0 and GPAscience ≥ 3.2. The screeners conduct the holistic review. If any one of the GPA thresholds is not met, the application is referred to a "Special Review Committee," who examine the app for acute or transitory circumstances [e.g., illness or injury that demolished a semester or year, etc.] that might have contributed to the lower GPA or something else in the app that "rescues" it. For the MCAT: any app for which the highest score < 495 is not considered further.

I've spoken with some AC members [this is no secret]: An pplication/applicant is automatically moved into a pool to be screened by a real live AC member *if* MCAT ≥ 500 [and all sub-tests ≥ 122] *and* GPAoverall ≥ 3.0 and GPAscience ≥ 3.2. The screeners conduct the holistic review. If any one of the GPA thresholds is not met, the application is referred to a "Special Review Committee," who examine the app for acute or transitory circumstances [e.g., illness or injury that demolished a semester or year, etc.] that might have contributed to the lower GPA or something else in the app that "rescues" it. For the MCAT: any app for which the highest score < 495 is not considered further.
I just saw Morty c137's link to the PDF file from the UTRGV SOM site that includes this info. Sorry to have repeated it.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a long shot, but For any of you interviewing on the 10th, if you're arriving at the MFE airport, would y'all be interested in sharing a ride from the airport? Like splitting costs for a car rental and gas. If you're not renting a car, how are you guys getting from the airport to the hotel? I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of renting a car lol. But if I really need to I will.

This may be a long shot, but For any of you interviewing on the 10th, if you're arriving at the MFE airport, would y'all be interested in sharing a ride from the airport? Like splitting costs for a car rental and gas. If you're not renting a car, how are you guys getting from the airport to the hotel? I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of renting a car lol. But if I really need to I will.
There are a few hotels in walking distance of the airport, you could stay at one of those then cab or Uber to the interview. It’s only about 10 miles from airport to med school.

My video got a couple of more views since it was originally viewed a week ago. Should I take this as a good sign?

Interviewing this Friday, does anyone have any tips? TYIA!

Interviewing this Friday, does anyone have any tips? TYIA!

Its going to sound generic, but really just be yourself, its all very conversational. Read through your application as a refresher. Talk to the other applicants too, I found that to actually really help ease the interview jitters. The day was long so be well caffeinated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They cancelled the Friday and Saturday interviews due to “heavy rain” but knowing the valleys its not gonna rain lmao

Any recent interviews? I really love this school's mission, but it's been radio silence.

Reactions: 2 users
Flash Flood Watch in Southern Texas
The ground is already saturated from rainstorms this week so more rain will lead to areas of flooding

It had just started raining heavy at the end of our interview 9/10. The street next to the air bnb I stayed at was completely flooded and stayed underwater until we left the next day. I think the ground was so dry that the water was soaking up quick, but there was so much water that everything was flooded. Hope everyone down there stays safe and dry!

Still scratching my head on UTRGV. Stats are more than competitive (greater than 90th percentile for their matriculants), application reflects a heavy service commitment, letters were obviously good (based on the # of invites I've received + an acceptance). I actually turned this secondary in 2nd because I thought I would have an exceptional shot an getting an early interview. Yet my video hasn't even been viewed yet even though I've been complete here since the first week of July.

Still scratching my head on UTRGV. Stats are more than competitive (greater than 90th percentile for their matriculants), application reflects a heavy service commitment, letters were obviously good (based on the # of invites I've received + an acceptance). I actually turned this secondary in 2nd because I thought I would have an exceptional shot an getting an early interview. Yet my video hasn't even been viewed yet even though I've been complete here since the first week of July.
I think its because you're a really competitive applicant and they know you will probably go somewhere else! Which in my own opinion is a good thing!!

@esob, you have better options ;)

Last edited:
I think its because you're a really competitive applicant and they know you will probably go somewhere else! Which in my own opinion is a good thing!!

Above the 90 percentile of matriculants though, not applicants. I wouldn’t say he/she is way above the pack that the school would yield protect. I also haven’t been watched or gotten an II..

Hoping to get a surprise email from them late in the cycle, but maybe that’s hopeful thinking.

Above the 90 percentile of matriculants though, not applicants. I wouldn’t say he/she is way above the pack that the school would yield protect. I also haven’t been watched or gotten an II..

Hoping to get a surprise email from them late in the cycle, but maybe that’s hopeful thinking.

Actually greater than 90th for GPA of applicants as well, though you are right, my MCAT is only a bit above their median for applicants, which would make one think they wouldn't be as likely to skip me for the sake of yield protection.

I've had a couple friends who interviewed here that really liked the school and tbh, one of my overarching goals in life is to raise my younger children in a culturally rich environment (one of the reasons PLFSOM is at the top of my list). I also like the small class size and the idea of being part of something new. I guess my point is, I felt like I put a solid effort forward in my secondary, both in getting it in early, as well as in expressing a genuine interest in the school. I imagine that some applicants applied to UTRGV as a "safety school" and that it likely reflected as such in their secondary. I actually spent more time and effort on my UTRGV secondary than any other, particularly because I also felt that as a new school, they would be more likely to welcome a non-traditional.

Anyway, I know we will all face disappointment in not getting invited to schools but I guess I was just puzzled by this one. The cycle isn't over though, so who knows :D I think applying to medical school is like a 6-month long episode of the "twilight zone." For those not familiar with the classic sci-fi masterpiece, here is the intro :D

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Similar to the other posters above, I have been complete since July without any video views. Should I call them and see what's going on?

Similar to the other posters above, I have been complete since July without any video views. Should I call them and see what's going on?

If you end up calling, please report back!

I have friends in the Inaugural class at this school. Out of 50, 1 dropped out, 1 was kicked out for drinking on rotations. and 5-7 have failed first attempt at Step 1. Curriculum is an absolute mess with an admin incapable of acting on constructive feedback from their own students. My advice is ask the students for more info if you’re interviwing and/or matriculating here and willing to take all of the aforementioned risks

I have friends in the Inaugural class at this school. Out of 50, 1 dropped out, 1 was kicked out for drinking on rotations. and 5-7 have failed first attempt at Step 1. Curriculum is an absolute mess with an admin incapable of acting on constructive feedback from their own students. My advice is ask the students for more info if you’re interviwing and/or matriculating here and willing to take all of the aforementioned risks

Interesting information. I'm not too shocked from the drop out (every medical school sees a few of those), but what admissions said about Step 1, 4 students failed, and have to retake it, and the rest past with an average higher than the national (I'd be interested in the stats just for numbers sake though). The story of expulsion is unfortunate, but the vibe I got from the current students seemed the exact opposite of your criticism. Admin seemed really receptive to making student suggested changes and focused on building a strong curriculum. Did your friend have any specific examples of issues within the curriculum?

Interesting information. I'm not too shocked from the drop out (every medical school sees a few of those), but what admissions said about Step 1, 4 students failed, and have to retake it, and the rest past with an average higher than the national (I'd be interested in the stats just for numbers sake though). The story of expulsion is unfortunate, but the vibe I got from the current students seemed the exact opposite of your criticism. Admin seemed really receptive to making student suggested changes and focused on building a strong curriculum. Did your friend have any specific examples of issues within the curriculum?

Yes, in general I’ve heard that a couple students had specific issues with the biochem (and immuno?) module and when they raised alarms over curriculum, were consistently shot down and told, “We have a handle over this, you don’t know anything about Med education, just trust us on this.” And with subsequent concerns, admin got even more defensive.

The other thing that’s important to know is that the preclinical curriculum posted online is actually an outright lie. It is not taught in that order/timeline or in that manner. I can’t say specifics since I don’t actually know but I’m assuming the students are afraid to say anything in fear of retaliation from admin. In addition, admin reportedly refuses to consult with other new or established schools to help fix glaring errors in knowledge distribution (and seems to have a supercilious disregard for more established schools).

Last edited:
The students who have failed are given till Dec to retake and given no time away from rotations or administrative help to rectify errors in their studying habits or knowledge gaps. No policies are currently in place to address the issue of failed board attempts.

Last edited:
Lastly, and this is full extent of what I’ve heard, EVERY student from inaugural class is uneasy with way things have been handled past 2 years and anxious over how much cohesive help they’ll receive while applying for residency.

The rotations are **** and not at all actually what is stated outright on the website.

Don’t confuse interview day PR with what’s actually going on.

How they’re treating you as applicants is a fair warning of how unorganized things are for actual students.

Disclosure: I’m a student at TCOM who previously interviewed at UTRGV and have 4-5 friends in inaugural class, 1 in current first year class. No disdain for the school, I wish them the best and believe their current PR pitch of training physicians to be competent* at healing a disadvantaged population is admirable, but far from what they are currently able, though possibly willing, to do.

Lastly. During internal student admin meetings they’ve said “90% pass rate is pretty close to average 96% pass rate everywhere else. Things will get better left as is.” That’s NOT normal. Wasn’t the case with first classes at Tech El Paso, nor for Dell Med (where average Step 1 is in 240s and 100% pass rate, with comparable entry stats to RGV), or even with Rocky Vista COM. A competent school has 1) a much higher passing rate, even for inaugural class, and 2) the balls to look honestly at what’s going wrong and willingness to fix it and help push their students to excel

Last edited:
Sorry I’ve got just couple more things to say.

Those who have passed (41 of them or so) passed with scores BELOW normal, according to internal reports. If they’re saying it’s above normal, that’s also a lie, and they prob did not or will not say an exact Step 1 average during your interview day.

Don’t feel trapped if this is your only acceptance. Just study with First Aid RX questions alongside your modules CONSISTENTLY and know First Aid and Pathoma COLD before passing on to subsequent modules. Then in months before start doing UWorld questions. 8 weeks of dedicated (from what I hear) should be plenty of time to do well, and hopefully by that time they’ll be more receptive to constructive feedback and your curriculum will be stronger. basically treat school as if you’re at a disadvtage as large as being at the Carribean (but DEFINITELY go to RGV over Carribean if that’s your current option)

If you want to give up your acceptance, I know of an N=1 scenario from my original class of 2020 (taking research year now), where a friend matched to TCOM, didn’t matriculate, applied again, and got into McGovern the following year. TMDSAS schools won’t count it against you if you apply again after an acceptance if you have or can make up a reasonable reason for reapplying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, @navigator. I hadn't heard any report about the Step 1 results and this percentage of fails is pretty high. I wonder if they averaged the fail grades in with the pass grades?

Thanks for the update, @navigator. I hadn't heard any report about the Step 1 results and this percentage of fails is pretty high. I wonder if they averaged the fail grades in with the pass grades?
Doubt it, but I would love to get my hands on that data. Do they publish it anywhere publically?

Lastly. During internal student admin meetings they’ve said “90% pass rate is pretty close to average 96% pass rate everywhere else. Things will get better left as is.” That’s NOT normal. Wasn’t the case with first classes at Tech El Paso, nor for Dell Med (where average Step 1 is in 240s and 100% pass rate, with comparable entry stats to RGV), or even with Rocky Vista COM. A competent school has 1) a much higher passing rate, even for inaugural class, and 2) the balls to look honestly at what’s going wrong and willingness to fix it and help push their students to excel
@gonnif @Goro @gyngyn If the step 1 fail rate is 10% as @navigator has heard, how sharply will this hurt UTRGV as it is still under provisional (correction: preliminary) accreditation?

Last edited:
@gonnif @Goro @gyngyn If the step 1 fail rate is 10% as @navigator has heard, how sharply will this hurt UTRGV as it is still under provisional accreditation?
@Med Ed is the wise one to ask!!!

I suspect that graduation rates and the ability of graduates to find jobs IE the match rate are the things lcme will be looking for, not Step 1 Pass rates

@gonnif @Goro @gyngyn If the step 1 fail rate is 10% as @navigator has heard, how sharply will this hurt UTRGV as it is still under provisional accreditation?

@Med Ed is the wise one to ask!!!

I suspect that graduation rates and the ability of graduates to find jobs IE the match rate are the things lcme will be looking for, not Step 1 Pass rates

UTRGV is currently listed as having preliminary accreditation on the LCME website, it looks like the site visit/deliberations for provisional accreditation are underway (aka "pending").

A higher-than-expected Step 1 failure rate absolutely will raise the eyebrows of the LCME. However, this is a small, mission-based medical school in a very underserved, relatively undesirable place to live. The 10th percentile MCAT is noted in the MSAR to be 502, and may be even a bit lower for the inaugural class. There may be a lot of first-generation, first-to-graduate-from-HS/college, EO1, FAP students enrolled. Very different than Dell, a school that can basically handpick class after class of overachievers.

But I am speculating. The AAMC general meeting is in less than two months, perhaps some RGV gossip will be floating around.

Reactions: 4 users
UTRGV is currently listed as having preliminary accreditation on the LCME website, it looks like the site visit/deliberations for provisional accreditation are underway (aka "pending").

A higher-than-expected Step 1 failure rate absolutely will raise the eyebrows of the LCME. However, this is a small, mission-based medical school in a very underserved, relatively undesirable place to live. The 10th percentile MCAT is noted in the MSAR to be 502, and may be even a bit lower for the inaugural class. There may be a lot of first-generation, first-to-graduate-from-HS/college, EO1, FAP students enrolled. Very different than Dell, a school that can basically handpick class after class of overachievers.

But I am speculating. The AAMC general meeting is in less than two months, perhaps some RGV gossip will be floating around.
Thanks @Med Ed - I should have checked my terminology before posting, yes they are still on preliminary accreditation status.

I would also add as an initial class of only 55 students, it only takes 6 students "failing" to STEP 1 to get below a 90% pass rate. Additionally, with a median MCAT of 502 (about 26-27 on old MCAT), data indicates eventual STEP pass rates nearer 97%-99%

Thanks, @gonnif - I didn't know that there was a table showing "eventual" pass rate!

Additionally, with a median MCAT of 502 (about 26-27 on old MCAT), data indicates eventual STEP pass rates nearer 97%-99%

I'm not sure if this was deliberate on your part, but 502 is UTRGV's 10th percentile MCAT according the most recent MSAR. The mean is 508, which is about 2 points below the national average for matriculants.

I'm not sure if this was deliberate on your part, but 502 is UTRGV's 10th percentile MCAT according the most recent MSAR. The mean is 508, which is about 2 points below the national average for matriculants.
That is the accepted, the matriculant is 505

That is the accepted, the matriculant is 505

Mistakes all around!

I do wish the default setting on the MSAR was matriculants rather than accepted applicants. This is not the first time I have been tripped up.

But yes, the actual mean for matriculants is 505, with a 10th percentile of 498. This means that about 5 people in the most recent class have sub-498 MCATs, which increases the likelihood of academic troubles and Step failures commensurately. In that light I don't see a higher-than-average failure rate as an unexpected outcome.

Since the sky is falling I might as well chime in. @navigator
First, the "kicked out for drinking" has more backstory than that which I will not air out on sdn since that's a student's personal matter.
Second, there's only 3 confirmed fails and maybe up to 5 so that number is a little off.
Third, just because you hear from a few people of the unease they are feeling does not mean that extends to the entire class.
Fourth, I know of 8+ people who got 240+ so no, not everyone got below average.
Fifth, my rotations have been wonderful so stop generalizing. Please, stop speaking for my school when you don't even go here and experience it yourself.

Reactions: 11 users
Since the sky is falling I might as well chime in. @navigator
First, the "kicked out for drinking" has more backstory than that which I will not air out on sdn since that's a student's personal matter.
Second, there's only 3 confirmed fails and maybe up to 5 so that number is a little off.
Third, just because you hear from a few people of the unease they are feeling does not mean that extends to the entire class.
Fourth, I know of 8+ people who got 240+ so no, not everyone got below average.
Fifth, my rotations have been wonderful so stop generalizing. Please, stop speaking for my school when you don't even go here and experience it yourself.
Thank you! I am interviewing here tomorrow and i really love the mission of UTRGV. Reading that post was a bit discouraging so thank you for this comment

Thank you! I am interviewing here tomorrow and i really love the mission of UTRGV. Reading that post was a bit discouraging so thank you for this comment

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. I have no problems stating both the good and bad, however what has currently been stated is exaggerated at best or just plain wrong.