2021-2022 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just prematched!! First A!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Good evening all, I was wondering if this school is still scheduling interviews? Or if they given most out already, thanks in advance!
Last year I received an interview invite to this school in the middle of December and interviewed a few days before Christmas. From what I remember from last cycle, they interviewed all the way into January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from last year know if they actually send rejection emails? Or is this just another one of those if you don’t hear anything post interview then just assume.

Last edited:
Anyone from last year know if they actually send rejection emails? Or is this just another one of those if you don’t hear anything then just assume.
Last year most heard of their acceptances through the Match, with few pre-matches offered. 8 were accepted early decision in EY 2021.
Last year some people who didn't match were placed on a WL about a week after match day.
This year there is a new med school dean, so the way things are handled might change. I can't predict.

Generally for TMDSAS, if you have not interviewed at a school by Feb 18th, the day students have to rank the schools they have interviewed at, it is a rejection.

Starting to feel hopeless.. interviewed more than two months ago with still no response.

I interviewed on Oct 12 and haven’t heard anything back. Does that mean I won’t get a pre match?
Prematch window goes all the way to January 31. You can absolutely match in TMDSAS with no prematch offers at all. There will also be WL action at this school after match day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Prematch window goes all the way to January 31. You can absolutely match in TMDSAS with no prematch offers at all. There will also be WL action at this school after match day.
So if someone interviewed after you and got a prematch and not you, is there still a chance for a prematch or just regular match at this point

Does anyone know if you can still receive a pre-match offer if you haven't done any ranking yet on TMDSAS?

Does anyone know if you can still receive a pre-match offer if you haven't done any ranking yet on TMDSAS?
Anyone who has already interviewed could be eligible for a pre-match offer.
Applicants are free to switch around their rankings in the TMDSAS portal as many times as they want between now and the ranking deadline on February 18th. Be sure to hit the submit button of your final list before 5pm on the 18th.
Schools cannot view your list in your portal and will not know what order you ranked them in.
TMDSAS system takes those rankings from each applicant and processes them along with preference info from the schools to come up with a Match school. On Match Day you will end up with 1 school, or "no match."

For a full explanation of match & pre-match there are some good videos on Texas Health Education Service YouTube channel.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who has already interviewed could be eligible for a pre-match offer.
Applicants are free to switch around their rankings in the TMDSAS portal as many times as they want between now and the ranking deadline on February 18th. Be sure to hit the submit button of your final list before 5pm on the 18th.
Schools cannot view your list in your portal and will not know what order you ranked them in.
TMDSAS system takes those rankings from each applicant and processes them along with preference info from the schools to come up with a Match school. On Match Day you will end up with 1 school, or "no match."

For a full explanation of match & pre-match there are some good videos on Texas Health Education Service YouTube channel.
Thank you very much! I appreciate the response and details! 😊

That survey email gave me a heart attack

Reactions: 6 users
Is there no opening presentation for the interview day? All I see is my 2 specific interview times.

Is there no opening presentation for the interview day? All I see is my 2 specific interview times.
There’s none. You’ll later receive an email invite to join the Facebook group that has a couple videos on curriculum and a welcome from the dean.

When did you interview? And did they send out emails on weekends?
I interviewed 10/22 and received an email today at 1 pm. I didn’t expect to get an email on a Saturday to be honest

Would it be unprofessional to call and ask for an update post-interview? Only because I got an offer from another program but UTRGV is currently my number one choice, and deposits are due soon. I interviewed mid-September.

Would it be unprofessional to call and ask for an update post-interview? Only because I got an offer from another program but UTRGV is currently my number one choice, and deposits are due soon. I interviewed mid-September.
If you call, you will just get whatever secretary is answering the phone, and they won't give you any information, even if they knew the information.
Making a deposit on your current offer the day before the deadline is the best you can do for now. If you get another offer you prefer you might lose that deposit, which may be worth it to you should you get accepted somewhere else later.

If you call, you will just get whatever secretary is answering the phone, and they won't give you any information, even if they knew the information.
Making a deposit on your current offer the day before the deadline is the best you can do for now. If you get another offer you prefer you might lose that deposit, which may be worth it to you should you get accepted somewhere else later.
Thank you for your advice!

If my application was reviewed (the committee met that day) on 11/11 would I not be eligible for a prematch by now?

If my application was reviewed (the committee met that day) on 11/11 would I not be eligible for a prematch by now?
Yes you would. They have given out only a few this year though, not sure if they will do more or not. Remember the class size is only 55, and some spots were filled by ED applicants.

Yes you would. They have given out only a few this year though, not sure if they will do more or not. Remember the class size is only 55, and some spots were filled by ED applicants.
Yes I am not eligible, or yes I am?

Yes I am not eligible, or yes I am?
Yes if you have interviewed, you are eligible for a pre-match offer.
Most TMDSAS applicants end up getting their acceptances on Match Day, though. Rank all the schools where you interviewed in the order you like before the rank order deadline of February 18th. Even if you only got 1 interview, rank it number one!

Just received an II from them. Any needed information/advice? Is it MMI or a traditional interview?

Just received an II from them. Any needed information/advice? Is it MMI or a traditional interview?
Like the post previous to mine said, it is two interviews (30 min each). One interview is open (interviewer has your file and knows everything in it), so make sure you know your application inside and out. The other interview is closed (interviewer knows nothing about you), so just be yourself and have a conversation with them.

The only preparing I did was googling common medical school interview questions and having a response or at least a direction I’d want to take for that specific question. That and reviewing my app. Good luck on your interview! And remember you are there to have a conversation, just relax and be yourself :)

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out prematches or just match at this point? Thanks!

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out prematches or just match at this point? Thanks!
Prematch time window goes until January 31. With a small class size of 55, not sure how many more prematches they will offer.
If you like the school, show your love in your rank list!

Reactions: 1 users
Two things:

1. How often does the admission committee meet? Are there set dates?
2. I interviewed for this school last year, but can’t remember how long it takes them to update tmdsas for rankings. Does anyone know?

For those who have interviewed and attended the "Thursday Ambassador Tours" of the campus, how was the overall experience? What did you get to see and learn?

How do you know the dates the committee meets?

Last edited: