2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They do say on their website that the in-person days will be on a Friday or Saturday. The past two they scheduled have been towards the end of the month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How heavy is this school on pre matching? I had a great experience interviewing online and in person and I got a really good vibe from this school. I’d probably go with this school over others if I got an offer

How heavy is this school on pre matching? I had a great experience interviewing online and in person and I got a really good vibe from this school. I’d probably go with this school over others if I got an offer
Not sure but I do get that sense that they value students who really want to be in the RGV.

Members don't see this ad :)
The way to show your preference is to rank it #1 in the match.

II today!! Incredibly excited!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
For anyone who has done the virtual and in-person interview, how is the in-person group interview like? Is it similar to the virtual interview? Or by group-interview will we be in the same room interviewing with other applicants?

II just now! IS, ORM, no ties to the region. Complete late Sept, LM 73. Only interview dates available are next week (Oct 17-20)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a confirmation for their in person interview yet? Have everything by booked and ready to go, so I’m hoping everything went through when I reserved my spot.
They don't sent a confirmation but you can call just to double check!

Did they ever send instructions or anything? I know there’s stuff on the portal and there was a schedule on the google form.
Yeah I believe a couple days before

Has anyone received a confirmation for their in person interview yet? Have everything by booked and ready to go, so I’m hoping everything went through when I reserved my spot.
how soon will I get invited to Interview in person if I had my virtual one this week?

how soon will I get invited to Interview in person if I had my virtual one this week?
It varies. I don't think it has any correlation with how your virtual interview went, it's just that UTRGV doesn't have the dates all planned out beyond one month.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first in-person batch was at the end of last month and the second batch is during the last two weekends of this month. Maybe mid-late November?

I just finished my virtual interview here. I must say I am so impressed with UT RGV. I have never in my life met another disabled medical student and one of the people who did my interview was one. It gave me so much hope and so much respect for this school. It was nice to finally do a traditional interview because my last two were MMIs. Cant wait for the in person portion!

Reactions: 9 users
For all applying to UTRGV, President Guy Bailey and Dean Michael Hocker have published a statement regarding the teaching hospital affiliation that you should read and consider carefully as you rank your TMDSAS schools.
Read about it over here #1
I will update information on that thread when I am able to learn more.
I don't have more details at the moment, but will add them to that thread when available.

Reactions: 4 users
For all applying to UTRGV, President Guy Bailey and Dean Michael Hocker have published a statement regarding the teaching hospital affiliation that you should read and consider carefully as you rank your TMDSAS schools.
I don't have more details at the moment, but will add them to that thread when available.
This is actually very far from ideal. Losing the ability to do clinical rotations at Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance, the only Level I trauma center in the RGV, is a big blow. Thank you for the heads up Wysdoc.

Reactions: 6 users
This is actually very far from ideal. Losing the ability to do clinical rotations at Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance, the only Level I trauma center in the RGV, is a big blow. Thank you for the heads up Wysdoc.
True indeed. I won't withdraw my app, but this is a really big deal and truly something to keep in mind as we finalize rank lists.

What's crazy is, in spite of the lack of full accreditation, UTRGV's match lists have looked incredibly solid. I know we're not supposed to be able to properly understand match lists, but 2022 IM looked like this:

INTERNAL MEDICINE:
Massachusetts General – Harvard – Boston, MA
Vanderbilt University Medical Center – Nashville, TN
Duke University Medical Center – Durham, NC
Cornell Medical Center – New York City, NY
UT Health Science Center – San Antonio, TX
UT Rio Grande Valley – DHR – Edinburg, TX
UT Medical School – Houston, TX

Pretty amazing from where I'm sitting, especially considering the accreditation issue and still being a relatively new school.

EDIT: They matched IM students to Vanderbilt in each of the last three cycles, and Mass Gen the last two cycles. Sounds like there might be a connection/relationship there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
True indeed. I won't withdraw my app, but this is a really big deal and truly something to keep in mind as we finalize rank lists.

What's crazy is, in spite of the lack of full accreditation, UTRGV's match lists have looked incredibly solid. I know we're not supposed to be able to properly understand match lists, but 2022 IM looked like this:

INTERNAL MEDICINE:
Massachusetts General – Harvard – Boston, MA
Vanderbilt University Medical Center – Nashville, TN
Duke University Medical Center – Durham, NC
Cornell Medical Center – New York City, NY
UT Health Science Center – San Antonio, TX
UT Rio Grande Valley – DHR – Edinburg, TX
UT Medical School – Houston, TX

Pretty amazing from where I'm sitting, especially considering the accreditation issue and still being a relatively new school.

EDIT: They matched IM students to Vanderbilt in each of the last three cycles, and Mass Gen the last two cycles. Sounds like there might be a connection/relationship there!
UTRGV is a minority majority school and most of the big name programs push to have diversity and equity in their residency programs. They like to recruit from programs like UTRGV where they can find quality minority students. They especially want to find people who might be first gen and received Pell grants.

I saw this being mentioned in GI fellowship applicant thread although they didn't link any article, saying isn't the fellowship pretty much at this hospital and if it is not available where do we practice..

I saw this being mentioned in GI fellowship applicant thread although they didn't link any article, saying isn't the fellowship pretty much at this hospital and if it is not available where do we practice..
I know that DHR recently interviewed a bunch of people for the DHR GI fellowship and accepted 2 of them.
Their happy announcement about this happened about 2 weeks before this new announcement about DHR leaving its UTRGV collaboration.
I hope the people accepted to this fellowship and others will be allowed to serve out their fellowships.

I know that DHR recently interviewed a bunch of people for the DHR GI fellowship and accepted 2 of them.
Their happy announcement about this happened about 2 weeks before this new announcement about DHR leaving its UTRGV collaboration.
I hope the people accepted to this fellowship and others will be allowed to serve out their fellowships.
They already accepted fellows? This question was being asked only last week where people were wondering about ranking the fellowship.

They already accepted fellows? This question was being asked only last week where people were wondering about ranking the fellowship.
I saw an announcement on Twitter that they had interviewed 36 and selected 2. Perhaps it's too early for the announcement of whom they selected.

Those of you who have interviewed at UTRGV, how was the in-person group interview? I have no idea what it consist of and the information is lowkey limited on what to expect. I am interviewing this Friday so any help is appreciated!

Are there any current MS3 or MS4 UTRGV students following this thread?
If so, could you inform us whether you do rotations at DHR, or are your clinical rotations in the Rio Grande Valley all in outpatient clinics?
Getting more information will help current applicants judge how much of an impact the teaching hospital changes will have.
You can DM me if you would like to stay anonymous.

Those of you who have interviewed at UTRGV, how was the in-person group interview? I have no idea what it consist of and the information is lowkey limited on what to expect. I am interviewing this Friday so any help is appreciated!
+1

Hi guys, current UTRGV med student here to address a few things regarding the DHR situation.
  1. UTRGV and DHR have separate GME and UME contracts. Only the GME contract was severed, meaning MS3/4s are still rotating at DHR.
    1. Depending on the rotation, a portion may be spent in the outpatient setting. The majority of clerkship, however, is spent in the hospital setting.
  2. DHR is not the only teaching hospital we are contracted with. The charter for the medical school specifically stipulated a presence at both Cameron and Hidalgo counties leading to DHR as the teaching hospital in Hidalgo with Valley Baptist Medical Center as the teaching hospital in Cameron county. Barring outstanding circumstances or reasons, MS3s are assigned to either location by chance.
  3. Although DHR is the only trauma level 1 facility in the Valley, it doesn't mean that it is the only facility that will see trauma level 1 activations. Since VBMC is a level 2 trauma center, students will see traumas of various levels regardless of which site one is assigned to.
Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, current UTRGV med student here to address a few things regarding the DHR situation.
  1. UTRGV and DHR have separate GME and UME contracts. Only the GME contract was severed, meaning MS3/4s are still rotating at DHR.
    1. Depending on the rotation, a portion may be spent in the outpatient setting. The majority of clerkship, however, is spent in the hospital setting.
  2. DHR is not the only teaching hospital we are contracted with. The charter for the medical school specifically stipulated a presence at both Cameron and Hidalgo counties leading to DHR as the teaching hospital in Hidalgo with Valley Baptist Medical Center as the teaching hospital in Cameron county. Barring outstanding circumstances or reasons, MS3s are assigned to either location by chance.
  3. Although DHR is the only trauma level 1 facility in the Valley, it doesn't mean that it is the only facility that will see trauma level 1 activations. Since VBMC is a level 2 trauma center, students will see traumas of various levels regardless of which site one is assigned to.
Thanks @irumeanie for your information as a current student.

I officially withdrew my application here today (post virtual interview). A little bittersweet because everyone here was so nice and I love the school’s mission. Good luck to everyone doing their in person interviews tomorrow and next week!!

• Care
Just finished the drive down. Think my car hit about 100 migrating butterflies :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
@irumeanie are you in your 3rd or 4th year? Have you done any clinical rotations yet?

Just finished my in-person component today. Few points I thought were worth sharing about admissions:
  • Initial prematch offers were sent on Monday. Students are voted on within a week of their in-person date. If selected for prematch, they will be notified the first Monday after a full week has passed. If not selected for prematch, they stay in the ranking list until match day. ~40% of matriculating students had a prematch offer but it varies by year.
  • They accept and encourage updates, even letters of intent.
  • They are having a problem with TMDSAS not having the school appear on applicant portals for ranking post-interview.
As for curriculum:
  • The school uses NBME questions for all exams and quizzes, which is excellent
  • There are weekly quizzes, which the students seem to find frustrating
  • Anatomy lab does not do dissections, everything is precut.
  • School provides UWorld and Pathoma to all medical students
  • P/F preclinicals with graded clerkships

Reactions: 2 users
@irumeanie are you in your 3rd or 4th year? Have you done any clinical rotations yet?
I asked a medical student today if clerkships were affected by the announcement. They said that the DHR rotation sites are not changing with the announcement and that for now it is only affecting residency programs.

Just finished my in-person component today. Few points I thought were worth sharing about admissions:
  • Initial prematch offers were sent on Monday. Students are voted on within a week of their in-person date. If selected for prematch, they will be notified the first Monday after a full week has passed. If not selected for prematch, they stay in the ranking list until match day. ~40% of matriculating students had a prematch offer but it varies by year.
  • They are having a problem with TMDSAS not having the school appear on applicant portals for ranking post-interview.
As for curriculum:
1 comment on your list of things-
Each individual medical school is responsible for updating their portal after interviews so the school appears in the rank list.
If UTRGV admin doesn’t know how to do this, they should ask for instructions from TMDSAS, but it’s not the fault of TMDSAS.

As for curriculum:
I appreciate that they're so transparent about how/when prematches are sent!

The admissions director was incredibly nice, even offering to give application feedback at the end of the cycle.

The admissions director was incredibly nice, even offering to give application feedback at the end of the cycle.
I assume you are referring to Mayra Martinez and yes she is awesome! By the way, who told you that uworld and pathoma are provided? I knew about pathoma but not uworld, that’s great!

I assume you are referring to Mayra Martinez and yes she is awesome! By the way, who told you that uworld and pathoma are provided? I knew about pathoma but not uworld, that’s great!
Yes it was Mayra.
It was our tour leader who said UWorld was included

Nice, that was a really impressive group. I wasn’t expecting everyone to do so excellent.