2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any mentioned whether they skip the video altogether? I was complete early July and, apart from my views, there aren't any new views on my video.

They never looked at mines.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you hear some good news soon
So, right after I read your comment, I went to check my views just for the heck of it, and there were two new views within the last hour. Not gonna get my hopes up or anything, but are you some sort of magician? Can I take you with me if I happen to get any interviews please? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is this school so bad at communication? Either no one is available or do not know answer to something.

Reactions: 1 users
So, right after I read your comment, I went to check my views just for the heck of it, and there were two new views within the last hour. Not gonna get my hopes up or anything, but are you some sort of magician? Can I take you with me if I happen to get any interviews please? Thanks.

Hahaha let’s turn those views into an ii ;)

do yall think there's gonna be pre-matches at midnight today? (12 am Friday Nov 15?)

I interviewed on 11/4 and Betty Monfort told us that we would hear back on 11/18 (today) if we got accepted and hear back on Dec 1st if we got R or W.

Has anyone heard back today? I'm getting so anxious

Hello everyone!

I have an interview coming up and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on this specific school. Thank you in advance! :)

I interviewed on 11/4 and Betty Monfort told us that we would hear back on 11/18 (today) if we got accepted and hear back on Dec 1st if we got R or W.

Has anyone heard back today? I'm getting so anxious

I'm in the same situation. I interviewed 10/18 and was told we'd hear back by halloween. I called last week and they said my app was still being reviewed. But another one of the applicants that interviewed on the same day with me already heard back with an acceptance. So idk whats going on tbh. I probbably got waitlisted

I'm in the same situation. I interviewed 10/18 and was told we'd hear back by halloween. I called last week and they said my app was still being reviewed. But another one of the applicants that interviewed on the same day with me already heard back with an acceptance. So idk whats going on tbh. I probbably got waitlisted

Ill probably call sometime tomorrow. Do you know around what time the other applicant heard back lol i just dont wanna sit paranoid all day

Members don't see this ad :)
Looked at my YouTube channel and saw that I had a view. Submitted my secondary 19th of September. It’s pretty late in the game at this point and I don’t have any ties to area or much volunteer work, so I doubt they’ll send me an interview invite. At least it was viewed.

+1
complete 8/25

1 view on my video from utrgv.edu on 11/14

edit: OOS but raised next door and went to high school in Mission and McAllen, TX.

Last edited:
Looked at my YouTube channel and saw that I had a view. Submitted my secondary 19th of September. It’s pretty late in the game at this point and I don’t have any ties to area or much volunteer work, so I doubt they’ll send me an interview invite. At least it was viewed.
+1
complete 8/25

1 view on my video from utrgv.edu on 11/14

How much of y’alls videos did they view?

Have any mentioned whether they skip the video altogether? I was complete early July and, apart from my views, there aren't any new views on my video.
AdCom members at this and all SOMs are expected to keep all details about reviews, comments, applicants, what happens in meetings, decisions, etc. confidential -- i.e., not share *information* with anyone outside their committees. So no, none with whom I've spoken would have mentioned that to an "outsider." Because I've been a member of AdComs [graduate and SOM] at other universities the past, I respect this rule and would I never would ask a specific question like that of a member of an AdCom on which I did not sit.

PSA: Everyone who interviews gets put on the waiting list if not accepted. If you don’t get accepted after your interview, you should automatically assume you are on the waitlist, and that you will never be taken off of it. UTRGV never lets you know when the cycle ends once their class is full. It’s just silence after the interview. It’s like this every year. They are still a new school so still figuring things out I guess. Very annoying school. Only thing that kept me sane last year was that this wasn’t my first choice school.
Good luck to all this year. Hope you have eggs in other baskets.

Reactions: 4 users
PSA: Everyone who interviews gets put on the waiting list if not accepted. If you don’t get accepted after your interview, you should automatically assume you are on the waitlist, and that you will never be taken off of it. UTRGV never lets you know when the cycle ends once their class is full. It’s just silence after the interview. It’s like this every year. They are still a new school so still figuring things out I guess. Very annoying school. Only thing that kept me sane last year was that this wasn’t my first choice school.

Agreed. I don’t understand how they can be so bad at communication. It’s not only stressful for applicants but also quite unprofessional.

Isn’t that pretty much what all other Texas schools do if you don’t prematch? Proceed to match day, maybe match, and if not, continue to be on the WL. Seems like there are rare occasions when people get off waitlist after school has already been in session for a week.

I guess if you are toward the bottom with no realistic shot at getting it, it would be nice to know. Do other schools flat out reject the bottom half of their waitlist applicants after match day?

Isn’t that pretty much what all other Texas schools do if you don’t prematch? Proceed to match day, maybe match, and if not, continue to be on the WL. Seems like there are rare occasions when people get off waitlist after school has already been in session for a week.

I guess if you are toward the bottom with no realistic shot at getting it, it would be nice to know. Do other schools flat out reject the bottom half of their waitlist applicants after match day?
No, most Texas schools will let the applications ride for quite a while.
Around February (after Match) some schools will start sending out rejections "you didn't make our wait list". You may need to be offered a spot on a wait list and say you want to be on it, or not.

After a long time, my application video was finally viewed four times in one day last week. All viewers watched the complete video. It would be awesome if I could take that as good news, but of course I don't know what it means, other than it's nice to see some activity.

Reactions: 2 users
how
After a long time, my application video was finally viewed four times in one day last week. All viewers watched the complete video. It would be awesome if I could take that as good news, but of course I don't know what it means, other than it's nice to see some activity.
how do you know somebody viewed it?

how

how do you know somebody viewed it?
Each video on Youtube has a counter directly under the video that shows number of times viewed. I was careful to watch it only once myself to make sure it uploaded properly, so any other views had to come from the school. If you are logged into the youtube account where you uploaded it, there is a statistics view you can find that will also show you dates viewed and percent complete, so you can see if people only watched the first 20 seconds or something. So 100% means they watched the entire video.

Hello! I have an interview on Monday but have not received any updates on the student host accommodations. I expected it to come this week and forgot to call on Wednesday since I was traveling. The school is not picking up due to the holiday so does anyone know how I can get in contact with a student or a different way to get in contact with the school?

Hello! I have an interview on Monday but have not received any updates on the student host accommodations. I expected it to come this week and forgot to call on Wednesday since I was traveling. The school is not picking up due to the holiday so does anyone know how I can get in contact with a student or a different way to get in contact with the school?
Hotels in Edinburg are plentiful and cheap, end your worries and just make a reservation. Or if you are flying in for the interview, you might prefer a hotel near McAllen airport.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this coming Friday, 12/6! I am interviewing that day as well :)

Video viewed by RGV on 11/14, but radio silence. :)

Any thoughts on letter of interest will they be helpful

Any thoughts on letter of interest will they be helpful

Pre-II: absolutely not and will come across as desperate.
Post-II: depends on the school, although most schools nowadays don't accept them
Waitlist: sure.

Pre-II: absolutely not and will come across as desperate.
Post-II: depends on the school, although most schools nowadays don't accept them
Waitlist: sure.

Implying we're not desperate...

But in all seriousness, yeah probably not a good idea if you haven't received an II

Sooo, i called Betty Monfort about a month ago, and she told me that decisions would come out the first week of december. Has anyone heard anything?! I interviewed early September.

Sooo, i called Betty Monfort about a month ago, and she told me that decisions would come out the first week of december. Has anyone heard anything?! I interviewed early September.
Radio silence for me still

Last edited:
Applying to medical school has taught me to set my expectations at rock bottom (or perhaps even lower) when it comes to people updating me.

• Haha
Just cancelled my interview here! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted to RGV about an hour ago! Received the message from Betty Monfort. This was my first acceptance and I was beyond excited for this

Reactions: 8 users
Just got accepted to RGV about an hour ago! Received the message from Betty Monfort. This was my first acceptance and I was beyond excited for this
Congrats! are you OOS or in state?

Pre-matched this morning as well! Received both phone call and email

Reactions: 5 users
Have January interview invites been sent out yet?