2020-2021 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone written a loi? If so, who did you send it to?

Members don't see this ad.

For those on the waitlist, do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously think Ms Betty copied and pasted this email from last year. COVID pushed back deadlines. Students have until April 30th, really May 15th to make a decision about which school they want to attend. If there is “movement” from the waitlist, it will not be until May. By May, I will have already submitted another applicant for the upcoming year. Ugh 🙄

Reactions: 1 user
I seriously think Ms Betty copied and pasted this email from last year. COVID pushed back deadlines. Students have until April 30th, really May 15th to make a decision about which school they want to attend. If there is “movement” from the waitlist, it will not be until May. By May, I will have already submitted another applicant for the upcoming year. Ugh 🙄
can we still submit another app if we are on waitlists?

The UTRGV "Commit to enroll" date is by May 15th, according the the MSAR information.
@Hdoran and @cristian325 the EY 2022 TMDSAS app will open up to begin working on it on May 3rd or 5th 2021 (their official timeline is not yet published).
So it is technically possible that you could start work on your next year's app before you have heard back from every wait list you are on.

If you decide to do this, BE SURE when you log on to your TMDSAS portal that you select "EY2022" to begin work on next year's app.

And as many advisors on SDN and elsewhere recommend, be sure that your application or experiences have improved in some way since last year, or wait out a cycle while you make some improvements.

The UTRGV "Commit to enroll" date is by May 15th, according the the MSAR information.
@Hdoran and @cristian325 the EY 2022 TMDSAS app will open up to begin working on it on May 3rd or 5th 2021 (their official timeline is not yet published).
So it is technically possible that you could start work on your next year's app before you have heard back from every wait list you are on.

If you decide to do this, BE SURE when you log on to your TMDSAS portal that you select "EY2022" to begin work on next year's app.

And as many advisors on SDN and elsewhere recommend, be sure that your application or experiences have improved in some way since last year, or wait out a cycle while you make some improvements.
I am 37, so my time is ticking...literally. Sitting out a cycle is not feasible for me as a non-traditional applicant. Currently, I am in pharmacy school, so that is my only “improvement.” Shadowing, clinical experience, volunteering, internship, etc, I have done all of that. Nowadays, I focus on pharmacy school and being a single mom to a toddler. One more round for me then I am moving forward.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
quick question: do med schools know if an individual on the waitlist matched at another school? Or is that a violation of the match?

quick question: do med schools know if an individual on the waitlist matched at another school? Or is that a violation of the match?
Since Texas Match has already happened, TMDSAS schools will know whether you have matched.
You are still allowed to be on WLs, both in TX and OOS.

Anybody who's a current UTRGV student have this year's complete residency Match List? I'd love it if you sent it to me by DM, thanks
Not a list but my interview told me 99% of them matched into residencies

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So when do y’all think there will actually be waitlist movement?
The email says April but I don’t think we’ll see movement until mid May. If there truly is movement. Only 2 people from the waitlist were accepted last. Year 😔

The email says April but I don’t think we’ll see movement until mid May. If there truly is movement. Only 2 people from the waitlist were accepted last. Year 😔
Is that just people that said they moved off waitlist from this forum or actually only 2 people move? Drastic difference from the waitlist email lmao 😅

Is that just people that said they moved off waitlist from this forum or actually only 2 people move? Drastic difference from the waitlist email lmao 😅
I think a current student said only 2 people moved off the waitlist. Idk if they were in the forum. In fact, I haven’t noticed many people in this forum who were accepted this year. Maybe 2 or 3 by responses

just got a call from betty, got off the waitlist!! good luck to everyone else!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Anyone else seeing the word substitution going on today from SDN? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Any updates when we could hear from utrgv?

Idk in general I think we should see movement after May 15th for the texas schools? Because then people with at least one TMDSAS acceptance are removed from waitlists. Those are just my thoughts, I haven't spoken to any admissions officers about this.

Idk in general I think we should see movement after May 15th for the texas schools? Because then people with at least one TMDSAS acceptance are removed from waitlists. Those are just my thoughts, I haven't spoken to any admissions officers about this.
So April 30th is for which deadline exactly?

So April 30th is for which deadline exactly?
on April 30 those with more than one AMCAS acceptance are supposed to narrow it down to one school.
If someone chooses their AMCAS spot over a TMDSAS acceptance they also hold, it could create openings in TMDSAS school rosters.

Did anybody receive an email from "incomingmd@utrgv" to schedule your vaccine appointment? There's some wording about returning to campus on the Fall and I'm not too sure what this entails.

Did anybody receive an email from "incomingmd@utrgv" to schedule your vaccine appointment? There's some wording about returning to campus on the Fall and I'm not too sure what this entails.
I am assuming you received an acceptance?

Did anyone else receive a phone call from a number associated with UTRGV? I missed the call due to work and there was no voicemail left. I tried calling back but I only hear a busy tone. Currently on the waitlist btw

Did anyone else receive a phone call from a number associated with UTRGV? I missed the call due to work and there was no voicemail left. I tried calling back but I only hear a busy tone. Currently on the waitlist btw
How do you know it was associated with UTRGV btw?

Looks like TX schools been active today based on other forums. Hopefully we here updates here soon!

Anyone else preparing to submit another application?

Think it’ll be a bit neurotic to try and call to see if we can at least expect any movement? Eating me alive the silence from them

Think it’ll be a bit neurotic to try and call to see if we can at least expect any movement? Eating me alive the silence from them
You will get a generic answer from the receptionist probably. :nod:
I think most of the WL offers at UTRGV will happen after May 15th. Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
What happens on May 15th?
That's when offers can only go out to those with no match or no other Texas spots, and by then all the people who did have 2 offers will have probably decided and picked one. Nothing magical about that date otherwise. It will be hard to compare this year to past years in terms of WL offers because the cycle was a bit delayed compared to other years.

Reactions: 3 users
May 15th has come and gone. Has anyone heard anything? I am about to submit a new application tomorrow. 😬

May 15th has come and gone. Has anyone heard anything? I am about to submit a new application tomorrow. 😬
I’m in the same boat, I’m waiting until after 5pm to submit tomorrow just to give it at least 1 full business day.

For those that started a new application, does this school offer like a workshop for reapplicants like others or have I missed it? Can’t seem to find it on the site

For those that started a new application, does this school offer like a workshop for reapplicants like others or have I missed it? Can’t seem to find it on the site
I don’t believe so. Look at TMDSAS pages to see if they still have some applicant workshops coming up.

Sssoo I called UTRGV this morning and I was strongly encouraged to submit my application for the next cycle. I took it for code there were no more spots in the incoming class. I also looked at the number of members in the class of 2025 fb group and they are 59. I guess this was a bad year for waitlist spot as well. Cheers to next year.

• Care