2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @FarmHand for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UTRGV Secondary Essay (and a video) Prompts (questions have changed from last year)

1. The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind:
Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving.

Choose TWO (2) of these values
and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education. (300 words)

2. Describe how you decide if a person or source is trustworthy. (300 words or less)

3. Describe a time when the awareness of your own limitations resulted in a favorable outcome for you or someone close to you. (350 words or less)

4. In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (150 words max; bullet points are acceptable)

5. Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency: (100 words or less)

Part 2: Essays (Optional)

1. Is there any personal characteristic, capability, or experience that you believe would be important for us to know in order to assess your potential as a medical student and practicing physician? Note: This must be something you have not covered elsewhere in the primary or secondary application. (optional,150 words or less).

2. Do you have any suggestions for improving medical care and access in the community of the Rio Grande Valley? How can the School of Medicine help to improve the situation? (optional, 300 words or less)

Part 2: REQUIRED [VIDEO Response]

Submit a 2-minute video that answers one of the two questions below.

1. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine has commitments to diversity, inclusion, and health equity. What do these terms mean to you? What is their importance to medical education and practice, as well as to the health of our society in general?
  2. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine's Honor Code requires that medical students live honestly, advance on individual merit, and demonstrate respect for others. UTRGV SOM subscribes to the highest Code of Professional Conduct. Our aim is professional behavior beyond reproach. Briefly explain the relevance of a school of medicine’s honor code to your anticipated development as a future practitioner of medicine.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Texas Rio Grand Valley School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Below are the prompts.

1. The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind:
Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving.

Choose TWO (2) of these values and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education. (300 words)

2. Describe how you decide if a person or source is trustworthy. (300 words or less)

3. Describe a time when the awareness of your own limitations resulted in a favorable outcome for you or someone close to you. (350 words or less)

4. In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (150 word max; bullet points are acceptable)

5. Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency: (100 word or less)

Reactions: 1 user
Part 2: Essays Optional

1. Is there any personal characteristic, capability, or experience that you believe would be important for us to know in order to assess your potential as a medical student and practicing physician? Note: This must be something you have not covered elsewhere in the primary or secondary application. (150 words or less).

2. Do you have any suggestions for improving medical care and access in the community of the Rio Grande Valley? How can the School of Medicine help to improve the situation? (300 words or less)

Part 2: REQUIRED [VIDEO Response]

Submit a 2-minute video that answers one of the two questions below.

1. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine has commitments to diversity, inclusion, and health equity. What do these terms mean to you? What is their importance to medical education and practice, as well as to the health of our society in general?
  2. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine's Honor Code requires that medical students live honestly, advance on individual merit, and demonstrate respect for others. UTRGV SOM subscribes to the highest Code of Professional Conduct. Our aim is professional behavior beyond reproach. Briefly explain the relevance of a school of medicine’s honor code to your anticipated development as a future practitioner of medicine. (300 words or less)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any 1 get a secondary for this school yet??

Last edited:
app transmitted 5/26 and still havent got secondaries

the same thing for me transmitted 5/27 and no secondary

Has anyone heard yet? My primary was transmitted 5/20 and I haven't received anything .

they probably haven't started reviewing apps yet

Reactions: 1 users
UTRGV has an Early Decision phase that they will probably read the applications for first, then turn to reading the Regular Decision ones.
ED is only an option for people living in or originally from the RGV.

In the meantime, we have the secondary prompts posted up in the first post in this thread, so you can work on those and plan a cinematic masterpiece for the upload video.

Members don't see this ad :)
the video section also has a "create a personalized video to introduce yourself" in addition to listing topics to talk about in this video, including:
Here are some things we would like to hear about:

• What is your first name?
  • What are your strengths?
  • How long have you been doing what you do?
  • What kind of projects do you enjoy working on?
  • What companies have you done work for?
  • What relevant education do you have?
  • What do you like to do for fun?
Here are some things you should NOT mention:

• Don't say your last name.
  • Don't share your contact info.
I assume this is separate than the 2 minute video essay? Or would they like that all to be combined ?

Edited to tell future readers of this thread : These instructions are an error, you only upload one video answering one of the two questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the video section also has a "create a personalized video to introduce yourself" in addition to listing topics to talk about in this video, including:

I assume this is separate than the 2 minute video essay? Or would they like that all to be combined ?
are you an ED applicant?

I suspect these instructions are just the default settings of the video recording program in the application. There is only 1 slot for a video upload and seeing that the limit is 2 minutes I don't think we could touch on all of these topics and answer the main prompt.

I suspect these instructions are just the default settings of the video recording program in the application. There is only 1 slot for a video upload and seeing that the limit is 2 minutes I don't think we could touch on all of these topics and answer the main prompt.
I agree with FarmHand's interpretation here- it looks as if they copied some general instructions for uploading a video from some other department or general job application function.

The invite to secondary email did mention briefly mention uploading to YouTube (which they did last year) so I was thinking they maybe wanted that intro video in the upload portal and the essay onto YouTube - but the secondary portal itself has no mention of YouTube , so I feel like that is doubtful

The invite to secondary email did mention briefly mention uploading to YouTube (which they did last year) so I was thinking they maybe wanted that intro video in the upload portal and the essay onto YouTube - but the secondary portal itself has no mention of YouTube , so I feel like that is doubtful
@hopingbutnotexpecting I'm sure there is not more than one video expected.

I challenge you to contact the admissions department to ask for some clarification on these confusing instructions and come back to tell us what you learn.

ED Applicant:

Transmitted 6/13

Secondary received 6/17!

Something I noticed in the secondary FAQ, which is not mentioned on their public site is the following:

This seems sort of odd since it's not mentioned anywhere on their site and I don't know of any other Texas schools that enforce a prereq expiration. I applied ED so I am locked into this process and definitely have older coursework as a non-trad. I do have recent coursework as well but and a recent MCAT.

Thoughts @wysdoc? Thanks!
Have never seen this on the site before and given how many people take 1 or more gap years it seems unlikely that this would keep anyone from applying. MCAT scores have to be within 5 years for most TMDSAS schools including UTRGV

Have never seen this on the site before and given how many people take 1 or more gap years it seems unlikely that this would keep anyone from applying. MCAT scores have to be within 5 years fo

That's what I figured, thanks! I just won't worry about it :)

NonED applicant, transmitted 5/23, secondary received 6/17!

They don't screen for mission fit correct? just by stats? for the secondary invitation.

Transmitted May 25th but no Secondary yet but other friends transmitted later w/o Early Decision have gotten it. Should I be worried?

Transmitted May 25th but no Secondary yet but other friends transmitted later w/o Early Decision have gotten it. Should I be worried?
Transmitted 5/27and still no secondary, I feel your stress 😬

for those with not secondary, have your stats passed their minimum?

I had emailed the admissions office and didn't get a response, but it must've been a common question - they added in red letters "Please disregard the [introductory video], and only answer one of the two questions above!"

@wysdoc

Does anyone know how to upload the file for the video? In previous years we send a youtube link, but this year there are no instructions.....I tried to upload the file as a .mov and it says the file type was incorrect. What file type is it supposed to be? Thanks in advance!

*****Nevermind, I figured it out. I just uploaded my video on YouTube first and downloaded my video from YouTube as a MP4 file.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's me, but the link for the secondary in my email is dead.

"Describe how you decide if a person or source is trustworthy. (300 words or less)" For this prompt, are y'all interpreting as personal relationships or professional relationships? I guess I'm confused if it's asking how we decide if a friend is trustworthy or if it means someone more professional like a doctor or boss? Thanks!

"Describe how you decide if a person or source is trustworthy. (300 words or less)" For this prompt, are y'all interpreting as personal relationships or professional relationships? I guess I'm confused if it's asking how we decide if a friend is trustworthy or if it means someone more professional like a doctor or boss? Thanks!
personally I went the friend/family route. Only wrote a few sentences but elaborated more on the source part of the question.

Does UTRGV usually send emails letting students know that they have at least received their application or do they just send you an email if they invite you to complete their secondary? If it is the latter, has anyone received secondary invites this month? If so, when was your application transmitted and what are your stats?

Does UTRGV usually send emails letting students know that they have at least received their application or do they just send you an email if they invite you to complete their secondary? If it is the latter, has anyone received secondary invites this month? If so, when was your application transmitted and what are your stats?
From what I understand, they automatically send secondary email invites to everyone who passes their stats screen. I believe the minimum stats for an automatic secondary are 3.2 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA, 500 MCAT (do NOT quote me on this though.... I can't seem to find the page with the official screening stats). All applications that don't hit this minimum are screened for mission fit like mentioned earlier in this thread.

From what I understand, they automatically send secondary email invites to everyone who passes their stats screen. I believe the minimum stats for an automatic secondary are 3.2 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA, 500 MCAT (do NOT quote me on this though.... I can't seem to find the page with the official screening stats). All applications that don't hit this minimum are screened for mission fit like mentioned earlier in this thread.
What if I qualify for everything except for the MCAT? I did not do well on my mcat and will be retaking in August, but I'm unsure if they'll wait until my second score comes in before hopefully sending a secondary or send me a secondary but not an interview invite if I don't do well again.

What if I qualify for everything except for the MCAT? I did not do well on my mcat and will be retaking in August, but I'm unsure if they'll wait until my second score comes in before hopefully sending a secondary or send me a secondary but not an interview invite if I don't do well again.

I'm not sure if this will help ease your mind, but I am above their median MCAT and above their 90th percentile GPA and still yet to receive a secondary. It seems to me that they have a careful screen, so if you are a good fit in their eyes, you'll probably be okay. They don't seem to just be handing these secondaries out based on stats alone.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this will help ease your mind, but I am above their median MCAT and above they 90th percentile GPA and still yet to receive a secondary. It seems to me that they have a careful screen, so if you are a good fit in their eyes, you'll probably be okay. They don't seem to just be handing these secondaries out based on stats alone.
Thank you so much for this!

I'm not sure if this will help ease your mind, but I am above their median MCAT and above their 90th percentile GPA and still yet to receive a secondary. It seems to me that they have a careful screen, so if you are a good fit in their eyes, you'll probably be okay. They don't seem to just be handing these secondaries out based on stats alone.
Same - last year, I did not meet the stats screen but received a secondary invitation in the second week of July. This year, my app was transmitted a few days sooner, I easily met the stats screen, and have not received a secondary invitation. It's possible I may not be invited to submit one this cycle, but I think it's more likely that they're performing a more holistic review on the front end.

Reactions: 2 users