2020-2021 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - RGV

Members don't see this ad.

UTRGV SOM is doing virtual Office of Admissions appointments, might be useful for some of you starting on the new application cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
aye secondary invite, nervous for that video portion. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
The prompt is pretty big with a bunch of instructions, I want to say medschool HQ has the accurate secondary in their secondary library. Here is the URL The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Secondary Application
Now that I look at it, there is a slight difference. In Part 2, you can choose to make the 2 minute video about one of the 2 questions:

1)
Our Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?

2)
Becoming a physician is a very hard and a “life-long” learning career. What and when was the instant that you knew this was going to be your chosen career and why?

and also in part 2, there is an added scenario so the new instructions are to pick 2 out of 4:

Here is the extra scenario added( the other scenarios are correct on MedHead HQ)

We are all experiencing life under a pandemic – COVID-19. As an aspiring physician, please tell us three (3) things you would do to educate and assist your community with relevant COVID-19 information.

Now that I look at it, there is a slight difference. In Part 2, you can choose to make the 2 minute video about one of the 2 questions:

1)
Our Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?

2)
Becoming a physician is a very hard and a “life-long” learning career. What and when was the instant that you knew this was going to be your chosen career and why?

and also in part 2, there is an added scenario so the new instructions are to pick 2 out of 4:

Here is the extra scenario added( the other scenarios are correct on MedHead HQ)

We are all experiencing life under a pandemic – COVID-19. As an aspiring physician, please tell us three (3) things you would do to educate and assist your community with relevant COVID-19 information.

Thanks for sharing these updates! Good luck with this application cycle!

1)

2)

@TheDataKing secondary prompts posted

+1 secondary recieved

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received the secondary, but I adapted this from the above descriptions of the changes this year and the prompts available from previous years on Medical School HQ. Can someone who received the secondary please confirm that this is correct?

UT Rio Grande Valley:

Prompts:
List three adjectives that characterize the community in which you grew up.

Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency. (100-word max)

In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the “best fit” for you. (150-word max)

The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind: Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving. Choose TWO (2) of these values and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education. (300-word max)

DESCRIBE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD UNRELATED TO SCIENCE OR MEDICINE.

PART 1: Required

A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (150 words)

Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. Submit a 2-minute video that answers one of the questions below. To submit a video of your response, please upload the video to YouTube as either Public or Unlisted. Do not upload it as Private. Enter the URL of the uploaded video into the text box below.

• Our Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?
  • Becoming a physician is a very hard and a “life-long” learning career. What and when was the instant that you knew this was going to be your chosen career and why?

PART 2: Select 2 out of the 4. Briefly describe the experience, state the circumstances of the experience (why you participated), what you learned about yourself through that experience.

• A community service experience. (150 words)
  • A position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction. (150 words)
  • A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, such as fine arts, computer programming, web design, writing, etc. (150 words)
  • We are all experiencing life under a pandemic – COVID-19. As an aspiring physician, please tell us three (3) things you would do to educate and assist your community with relevant COVID-19 information. (150 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've received my secondary app earlier today. Did anybody else apply EDP?

Last edited:
Currently pre-writing secondaries, and I have a question about the COVID-19 prompt. Do they mean, "What would you do as a student who wants to be a physician?" or "What would you do as a physician?" I'm leaning toward the first, but I just want to make sure that this is correct. (PS, Sorry if this sounds obvious, but I just really wanna make sure I'm answering the question correctly!)

Currently pre-writing secondaries, and I have a question about the COVID-19 prompt. Do they mean, "What would you do as a student who wants to be a physician?" or "What would you do as a physician?" I'm leaning toward the first, but I just want to make sure that this is correct. (PS, Sorry if this sounds obvious, but I just really wanna make sure I'm answering the question correctly!)

I didn't answer this prompt but personally I read it as the former. "As an aspiring physician" = as someone who wants to be a doctor.

For this prompt, does the "describe experiences unrelated to science or medicine" still apply? It seems like UTRGV wants an answer about my research/medical experiences to show how I align with their mission. If we still can't use science or medical experiences, does anyone have any advice on how to answer this question?

For this prompt, does the "describe experiences unrelated to science or medicine" still apply? It seems like UTRGV wants an answer about my research/medical experiences to show how I align with their mission. If we still can't use science or medical experiences, does anyone have any advice on how to answer this question?

I considered the other prompt, "Becoming a physician is a very hard and a “life-long” learning career. What and when was the instant that you knew this was going to be your chosen career and why?", which cannot be answered well without relating your answer medicine. I think this is a good indication that in these video prompts it might be acceptable to relate your answers to medicine or science.

Good god why did they make this secondary so long

Reactions: 6 users
i received this secondary 6/15 & still have yet to start.
mainly because it is extremely long and very daunting... lol

how screwed am i?

how screwed am i?

You’re not screwed. Just try to get it back ASAP!

UTRGV has just started their orientation for EY 2020. Via ZOOM.

The school hasn't posted much on the incoming class profile so far, except to say that the EY 2020 cohort is 55 students and 25 consider the RGV their home, and 17 graduated from UTRGV undergrad. This doesn't mean that folks from elsewhere in TX don't have a chance, but that the school is serious about getting students who might want to stay and practice in the Rio Grande Valley.

Reactions: 3 users

how screwed am i?
As @Hzreio said, you're not screwed. But don't procrastinate. But it goes without saying (so why is he saying it?) that the more complete an application is when an AdCom member or 2 look at it, the better. It's always been important to get all Letters of Support *and* a completed Secondary in ASAP, but given the MCAT craziness I'm guessing it's even more important this year. And please note, every UTRGV SOM AdCom member with whom I've spoken is very sensitive to how the COVID-19 business will be affecting applicants throughout this year's admissions cycle and are working to make things go as smoothly as possible.

When does UTRGV usually send the first wave of interview invites?

When does UTRGV usually send the first wave of interview invites?
First they are going to deal with their small number of early decision applicants, then move on to regular applicant pool.
In 2018/19 first invite was 7/10
In 2019/20 it was 7/26 (that was the 1st year they offered ED)
We’ll see this year.

Does UTRGV tend to favor students who are interested in rural medicine? Or is there no such leaning?

Is anyone's secondary portal unavailable? I can't access mine cause of some errors ?

Anybody have problems submitting? I completed the learning experiences but It still says I have to choose 2 of the essay topics. I noticed the word fill bar is not red. I submitted an email for admissions to do a force submit.

Anybody have problems submitting? I completed the learning experiences but It still says I have to choose 2 of the essay topics. I noticed the word fill bar is not red. I submitted an email for admissions to do a force submit.

Did you enter N/A into the boxes for the essay questions that you chose not to answer?

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't submitted my secondary app, and It was sent to me mid- June. Is this concerning to Adcom in anyway?

I haven't submitted my secondary app, and It was sent to me mid- June. Is this concerning to Adcom in anyway?
It will be okay. They are probably focusing on getting their new MS1 class settled in and doing the review/interview for their small number of Early Decision applicants.

My secondary portal now says "Select 3 out of the 4" for Part 2. Anyone else seeing this?

Further down, it says "please put N/A in the text box for the 2 questions you chose not to answer before you submit"

My secondary portal now says "Select 3 out of the 4" for Part 2. Anyone else seeing this?

Further down, it says "please put N/A in the text box for the 2 questions you chose not to answer before you submit"

I see that within my portal as well, however, it was only 2 when I submitted my secondary. This must have been a change they made today. Anyone who already submitted should be grandfathered into the "select 2 of the 4" prompt so it shouldn't be an issue. You can always call the admission office if you have questions though!

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, I see the same thing. You should email them and ask about it. This is a change that doesn't make sense.
1596485824656.png

Has anyone heard back about the 3/4 question for part 2? I barely emailed them today but was worried cause I already submitted my app this past weekend.

For anyone wondering, admissions emailed me back & stated it is TWO out of FOUR questions not three. It was an error.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone had their video submission viewed yet? Sitting at 2 weeks with no views... :dead:

Mine was viewed 5 times but I submitted 6/2!