2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance here (IS). It was a very difficult decision for me, but I hope someone else hears something soon! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance here (IS). It was a very difficult decision for me, but I hope someone else hears something soon! Good luck everyone!
I also withdrew it here a few days ago. It was probably the toughest decision I’ve ever made. Congrats on your acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your reply!!

I sent a letter of interest. And I have no other acceptances, so unless something happens, I am committed to and very excited to start at UTRGV.
Did they respond to your letter?

I sent them an email asking if they were open to LOI in March and never heard back.

how are all my fellow waitlisted people doing post-April 30th? i've been having so much anxiety and stress hoping for movement :(

im wondering if anyone has any clue how movement works. like do people get off the waitlist every day? or is it like a few people a week? i guess its hard to know, but im just curious.
Feeling very disheartened. Going through old waitlist threads and other threads through last year I’m seein a lot less movement this year, at least in this point of time. And UTRGV has such a small class size that I have no idea if our odds are even anywhere near good at this point :/ I think spots here will be filled as needed on a rolling basis. stressed and anxious right there w ya

i feel you!! plus the class of 2024 FB page has 52 members now (not including admins). as people have said on this thread, i'm sure that there are probably upperclassmen and group moderators in there too, so the actual number of new students is likely fewer. BUT its still not helping seeing that number slowly creep up. im banking so hard on their claim that 60% of the class comes from the waitlist...fingers crossed for all of us.
60%???? Wait really?? When did they say that??? I really hope that is true too, although amidst a pandemic who knows what will happen, these times r just so bizarre and unprecedented sigh

Eh, Betty told us over 50% come from the waitlist when I interviewed last cycle and she said something similar this year. But last year it appeared they barely had any movement and emailed us relatively early June that they had their final class.

I’m not expecting much movement for this school, tbh. It seems like they purposely choose applicants who won’t leave them for another school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
i feel you!! plus the class of 2024 FB page has 52 members now (not including admins). as people have said on this thread, i'm sure that there are probably upperclassmen and group moderators in there too, so the actual number of new students is likely fewer. BUT its still not helping seeing that number slowly creep up. im banking so hard on their claim that 60% of the class comes from the waitlist...fingers crossed for all of us.

I agree. I don’t see how 60% of their class comes from the WL with this minimal movement. But it’s also important to share that not all students use SDN or share on this thread.

Also TMDSAS rules state that by May 15th students can only have one acceptance at Texas schools. By May 15th, I’m sure they’ll be more spots open especially since this cycle has two new medical schools (SHSUCOM and UHCOM)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
how are all my fellow waitlisted people doing post-April 30th? i've been having so much anxiety and stress hoping for movement :(

im wondering if anyone has any clue how movement works. like do people get off the waitlist every day? or is it like a few people a week? i guess its hard to know, but im just curious.
People do not really get off the waitlist. I was in the same position last year. They really just say what you want to hear

People do not really get off the waitlist. I was in the same position last year. They really just say what you want to hear
It's harder for OOS ppl to get off the WL than IS for Texas. Since there are more IS students cause of the 90% law, more get off the WL that are IS than OOS. Since 10% of the class is like 6 OOS students, it is (by comparison) way harder for OOS than IS.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah 60% would imply that 30 of the 50 in-state students come from the waitlist!! so only 20 prematched/matched? who knows. either way, you're right that a lot of people likely dont post on SDN. staying hopeful
Regarding WL at UTRGV SOM. If you go back to much earlier in the cycle you will see that people were referring to whom ever did not pre-match as being automatically on the WL. But the WL is generated after the feb. match. I think no more than a small percentage would be coming from the post match WL. Not much different than other schools in Texas.

Oh so you mean to say that the "waitlist" that UTRGV is talking about is referring to all the people who didn't get an early acceptance (prematch)? But then if that were the case, wouldn't they just say that 60% of our class comes from the match?
Well yes it does. The February match fills the class. Then people get other offers and horizontal movements occur off wait lists.

Feeling very disheartened. Going through old waitlist threads and other threads through last year I’m seein a lot less movement this year, at least in this point of time. And UTRGV has such a small class size that I have no idea if our odds are even anywhere near good at this point :/ I think spots here will be filled as needed on a rolling basis. stressed and anxious right there w ya
Are ya'll gonna reapply just in case you dont get off the waitlist?

Does anyone have idea when the latest batches of waitlist movement happen for UTRGV (based on previous years)? On SDN I can only find mention of waitlist movement in early May...nothing really past that :/
Tomorrow UTRGV SOM is hosting its "Virtual Graduation Celebration" for their first graduating class. Virtual Commencement 2020 (UTRGV School of Medicine) | UTRGV

They won't be doing anything else this week I'm sure and probably not next week either. :cool:

UTRGV SOM is doing virtual Office of Admissions appointments! Might be worth checking for some of you who have questions about the waitlist, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current UTRGV med students give some pros and cons about this school? To help those of us indecisive about med school acceptances? Thanks!

To those who do not have any acceptances yet (like me!), let's hang in there & I sincerely wish the best for you all! I recently contacted UTRGVSOM admissions, and I was told they have had very little waitlist movement so far, but they are planning on sending out invitations in the next two weeks. I hope one of us gets it! :)

Whenever I call, It goes to voicemail. What number are you calling? Did they tell you anything else about the waitlist?
To those who do not have any acceptances yet (like me!), let's hang in there & I sincerely wish the best for you all! I recently contacted UTRGVSOM admissions, and I was told they have had very little waitlist movement so far, but they are planning on sending out invitations in the next two weeks. I hope one of us gets it! :)

Whenever I call, It goes to voicemail. What number are you calling? Did they tell you anything else about the waitlist?

Try using the virtual office posted up there, I think that since they are remote they won't be answering phone calls. The other thing is that they don't use a ranked waitlist, which you all might've already known since a lot of TX schools use waitlist pools.

Try using the virtual office posted up there, I think that since they are remote they won't be answering phone calls. The other thing is that they don't use a ranked waitlist, which you all might've already known since a lot of TX schools use waitlist pools.
Where is the virtual office posted?

Can any current UTRGV med students give some pros and cons about this school? To help those of us indecisive about med school acceptances? Thanks!

Hey, I'm a current student and I'll try to summarize some important points below.

Pros:
  • Small, family atmosphere. You know everyone in your class of 50-55, and you know most underclassmen and upperclassmen. The faculty know you well and it is very easy to develop relationships with them. Dean Krouse knows me well and I think that's hard at other schools when your class is 3x the size. On that same note, you can receive very personalized education because our class sizes are small. There is little competition for student leadership positions and research opportunities.

• NBME exams for almost all modules. This is tremendously valuable for STEP1 prep. Schools that waste your time with their professor written Powerpoints and exams are really putting you at a huge disadvantage for doing well on STEP1 and ultimately residency selection. Most students at UTRGV correlate their studying with Pathoma, First Aid, Boards and Beyond from the get-go. We had our first class match and they surprisingly really well considering it was our 1st year (we had matches at Columbia, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, UTSW, UCLA, WashU, McGovern in a variety of specialities like ENT, orthopedic surgery, etc.)

• Provide care to a really unique demographic in South Texas, the underserved Hispanic population. Get to see cool pathology like TB, metabolic syndromes, etc. You actively get to witness importance of social determinants of health, especially in regards to providing care for people in the colonias of South Texas. We had a Student Run Clinic in Penitas, TX where students get some really awesome exposure to a very very poor and underserved community.
Cons:
  • Speed bumps of being a new school -- changes in curriculum, clerkship schedules, etc. It can be frustrating when you're a stressed medical student. Faculty are generally responsive to changes we propose, but there are definitely times where going to an 30 year old medical school can be nice. The school has definitely ironed out a lot of kinks from the 1st class, but we occasionally have issues that take time to get resolved.

• Lack of home residency programs for certain specialities. This can be challenging if you're interested in a competitive speciality like derm, ortho, ENT, etc. and you need a letter from a department chair and you want to do research in those respective fields. You also don't have the advantage of matching at your home program for those programs and medical schools love to inbreed for residency in competitive specialities.

• McAllen/Edinburg isn't my favorite place to live. I study a lot so it doesn't matter much but for someone expecting it to be like Dallas or Houston, be ready for a change.

Overall, my experience has been positive. I knew that attending a new school would come with its challenges but I definitely feel like I got a good education and frankly, most of medical school in the 1st two years is self-taught at this point. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Class of 55, a medical education system committed to the medical students and a wealth of clinical materials is a recipe for a great medical education. They may not have a residency in Derm. Or ENT yet, but plenty of staff and cases in these fields. To get those residency spots you must be proactive. Research, externships and so on. That is true no matter where you go.

Ok - so this is my first time posting on SDN. I’ve spent a lot of time (unhealthy probably) creeping in this thread but now bit the bullet and made an account!

So, I know I should now probably consider myself rejected, and I have already submitted the TMDSAS primary on the 15th (trying to be super early and on the ball this year).

Now my question is this. Now that May 15th has passed, schools can no longer accept students already accepted by another Texas med school, right? So, for an IS applicant, how could there be any waitlist movement from here on out? The only options that I can think of are: 1). A current accepted student gets accepted at an OOS school and chooses it.
2). A student drops out before classes start (seems unlikely to me, but hey it’s possible).

Is this accurate? Am I right to believe movement to be over?

Ok - so this is my first time posting on SDN. I’ve spent a lot of time (unhealthy probably) creeping in this thread but now bit the bullet and made an account!

So, I know I should now probably consider myself rejected, and I have already submitted the TMDSAS primary on the 15th (trying to be super early and on the ball this year).

Now my question is this. Now that May 15th has passed, schools can no longer accept students already accepted by another Texas med school, right? So, for an IS applicant, how could there be any waitlist movement from here on out? The only options that I can think of are: 1). A current accepted student gets accepted at an OOS school and chooses it.
2). A student drops out before classes start (seems unlikely to me, but hey it’s possible).

Is this accurate? Am I right to believe movement to be over?
There will still be WL movement because there are a number of withdrawals that will be filled. Probably another 3 weeks & we’ll be pretty much wrapped up.

There will still be WL movement because there are a number of withdrawals that will be filled. Probably another 3 weeks & we’ll be pretty much wrapped up.

Thanks you! So, I guess there is still some hope. Are these withdrawals that have already happened and just haven’t been filled or are more withdrawals predicted in general?

Is the cycle over? Has anyone been in communication with admissions?

I understand there's a pandemic+societal uprising, but WHAT IS GOING ON, ANYONE?

Is the cycle over? Has anyone been in communication with admissions?

I understand there's a pandemic+societal uprising, but WHAT IS GOING ON, ANYONE?
I assume the class is locked in and there won't be any waitlist movement. At least, that's what I'm telling myself so that I don't get any false hopes.

The admissions committee is just really unorganized. Always has been

The admissions committee is just really unorganized. Always has been
Admission committee here as organized as any. Over 7000 applicants have been processed this year. You can’t get upset at them if you don’t get the results you wish for. It doesn’t help you. Regroup and reapply. Best of lock.

Class of 55, a medical education system committed to the medical students and a wealth of clinical materials is a recipe for a great medical education. They may not have a residency in Derm. Or ENT yet, but plenty of staff and cases in these fields. To get those residency spots you must be proactive. Research, externships and so on. That is true no matter where you go.
@inform Are you an incoming student EY 2020?