2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it permissible to send an update progress with informing UT RGV that I ranked them #1 in my match offer? Or should I leave the last part out?

Members don't see this ad.

Im still pretty astonished by this school and their lack of communication/organization. Is anyone encountering poor communication and different news every time they call?

Reactions: 1 user
Im still pretty astonished by this school and their lack of communication/organization. Is anyone encountering poor communication and different news every time they call?
I haven’t received any news at all and I interviewed in October. I was told that we would hear something in December but nope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t received any news at all and I interviewed in October. I was told that we would hear something in December but nope.
this is not only unprofessional, its getting ridiculous. I called the admissions, and they said that every medical school is like this. I cant speak for everyone, but all the med schools i have applied to have gotten back to me on the day they claim.

this is not only unprofessional, its getting ridiculous. I called the admissions, and they said that every medical school is like this. I cant speak for everyone, but all the med schools i have applied to have gotten back to me on the day they claim.
Yo, this is something we all signed up for. It's part of the app process. Sure, UTRGV isn't known for their stellar communication, but I can think of very few schools that should be commended in any way for that too. As has been mentioned countless times in this thread, take the dates that UTRGV gives you with a grain of salt. It's all a waiting game at this point post-interview. The match will be here soon enough

When I interviewed, Betty explicitly said if we didn’t hear back after the first week of December, it was safe to assume we were on the waitlist and unlikely to receive a prematch. She also said it is not a flat rejection, and we would receive an email about the waitlist sometime this month. I figured she told us this, so we would not expect frequent communication from them. Take it how you like. I rather not stress it because that’s not gonna change the situation. Just try to enjoy the holidays y’all!

Reactions: 5 users
When I interviewed, Betty explicitly said if we didn’t hear back after the first week of December, it was safe to assume we were on the waitlist and unlikely to receive a prematch. She also said it is not a flat rejection, and we would receive an email about the waitlist sometime this month. I figured she told us this, so we would not expect frequent communication from them. Take it how you like. I rather not stress it because that’s not gonna change the situation. Just try to enjoy the holidays y’all!

I interviewed this month and we were told something similar. They said we could hear back through the December 31 pre match deadline and if we didn’t then it meant we were on the waitlist. Those who are accepted will for sure hear back this month and the rest can assume waitlist rather than rejection.

I haven’t experienced lack of communication
from their admin team. Issues with applicants aside, can current students comment on whether they feel there are communication issues between current students and admin/ staff?

Last edited:
I was heard we'd hear something by halloween lmao!

I interviewed this month and they said the committee would meet for the last time before Match on Dec 16th (yesterday). So I assume some people may hear about acceptances today. Otherwise, no communication means waitlist and we’ll have to wait till Match!

Reactions: 2 users
Email from UTRGV today,

"... As of Thursday, December 19th, all pre-match acceptance offers have been delivered. As I explained during your interviews, at present, our medical school only has 50/55 seats allocated per class; and, as a new school we do not “overbook” as is the practice with older schools..."

That's pretty much the gist of it. I was confused on the wording however. Do they mean they have given up 50 seats, 5 seats or have between 50-55 seats to give in a year. It's Friday and my mind is done for the week so sorry if this is an obvious answer. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Email from UTRGV today,

"... As of Thursday, December 19th, all pre-match acceptance offers have been delivered. As I explained during your interviews, at present, our medical school only has 50/55 seats allocated per class; and, as a new school we do not “overbook” as is the practice with older schools..."

That's pretty much the gist of it. I was confused on the wording however. Do they mean they have given up 50 seats, 5 seats or have between 50-55 seats to given in a year. It's Friday and my mind is done for the week so sorry if this is an obvious answer. Thanks in advance!
I think this means they typically have 50-55 seats per class!

Out of stater here with UTRGV as my first choice. Interviewed in early November.

I appreciate them letting us know before the holidays that we're officially waitlisted. At least I'll stop getting excited/nervous/panicked every time I get a new email!

Best of luck to everyone!

Out of stater here with UTRGV as my first choice. Interviewed in early November.

I appreciate them letting us know before the holidays that we're officially waitlisted. At least I'll stop getting excited/nervous/panicked every time I get a new email!

Best of luck to everyone!
Not the case—UTRGV still needs to participate in the match. It's unlikely that they'll retain all prematches. Applicants will move to the waitlist after the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Email from UTRGV today,

That's pretty much the gist of it. I was confused on the wording however. Do they mean they have given up 50 seats, 5 seats or have between 50-55 seats to given in a year. It's Friday and my mind is done for the week so sorry if this is an obvious answer. Thanks in advance!

I believe this means that their class is 55 seats, 50 of those being in-state and eligible for a “pre-match.” The last 5 will be OOS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the case—UTRGV still needs to participate in the match. It's unlikely that they'll retain all prematches. Applicants will move to the waitlist after the match.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'm confused because they specifically mentioned a waitlist in the email... though I guess it doesn't say explicitly that I have been waitlisted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 3.58.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 3.58.11 PM.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 154
Is anyone in the 1/11 interview group? Is it even possible for us to pre-match? Is being in the last group a lost cause? I am feeling a little discouraged about the timing of it all... :( this is my only TX interview so its kind of do or die

Is anyone in the 1/11 interview group? Is it even possible for us to pre-match? Is being in the last group a lost cause? I am feeling a little discouraged about the timing of it all... :( this is my only TX interview so its kind of do or die
Schools can't send out prematches after December 31st. Don't lose hope! Good luck at your interview:)

Prematch period was over on December 31. You can still match with a January interview, so go there and be enthusiastic and give it your best.
UTRGV is also likely to have Wait List movement later in the spring, so even if you don't match there you could get in off the Wait List.

I am. Give it everything you got! I can help you w tips if you need it.

This interview is very stress free and casual. Absolutely nothing to worry about..

Anyone with a pre-match not have the acceptance listed in the pre-match withdrawal tab? I have no intention of withdrawing but I got the offer in December so I am wondering if there is a miscommunication.

Anyone else without a prematch just receive a text from UTPA (former name of UTRGV) saying we are subscribed to receive alerts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I also received a text! Literally about to post about that! Not sure if it's a sign or not...!!!

Anyone else without a prematch just receive a text from UTPA (former name of UTRGV) saying we are subscribed to receive alerts?

Last edited:
From some news in the Valley, the school may face some issues regarding accreditation due to board scores

I also received a text! Literally about to post about that! Not sure if it's a sign or not...!!!

I’m going to not take it as a sign so I don’t get hurt in case I don’t match lol. Seems like most others that posted received one.

I’m going to not take it as a sign so I don’t get hurt in case I don’t match lol. Seems like most others that posted received one.

I did not pre-match and also got the text.

To add to this list, I received the text as an OOS who interviewed in October, but I have not heard anything since my interview. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN :nailbiting:

Actual image of me trying to figure out why I might have received this text message
great conspiracy.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
UTRGV has FINALLY published their class profile for the class of 2023 (the class that started last year and is halfway through MS-1)

Their "class profile" only includes colleges attended pre-med, ethnic background, and in-state/OOS.
They did not decide to share the mean GPA and MCAT scores of this entering class.
Interpret this as you will.
And OOS applicants, don't hold your breath. Last year only 2 OOS students matriculated.

class-2023-stats.jpg

UTRGV has FINALLY published their class profile for the class of 2023 (the class that started last year and is halfway through MS-1)

Their "class profile" only includes colleges attended pre-med, ethnic background, and in-state/OOS.
They did not decide to share the mean GPA and MCAT scores of this entering class.
Interpret this as you will.
And OOS applicants, don't hold your breath. Last year only 2 OOS students matriculated.

View attachment 294338

So only 12% of their class is not from the RGV area?

So only 12% of their class is not from the RGV area?
No, misleadingly they have kind of listed the locals twice. The 4 counties in the RGV are Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, and Willacy. There appears to be no number in the Starr County box but Cameron + Hidalgo only add up to 41% so either there are a few from the other counties, or, the numbers are inaccurate.
47% of the class came from the RGV. Those students may have gone OOS for college.

No, misleadingly they have kind of listed the locals twice. The 4 counties in the RGV are Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, and Willacy. There appears to be no number in the Starr County box but Cameron + Hidalgo only add up to 41% so either there are a few from the other counties, or, the numbers are inaccurate.
47% of the class came from the RGV. Those students may have gone OOS for college.
Betty told me they accepted 5 OOS, I wonder why they decreased it

Betty told me they accepted 5 OOS, I wonder why they decreased it
Up to 5. Last year only ended up with 2.
I think you’ll see the same at most TX TMDSAS schools. They can take a maximum of 10% OOS but after all the adding and subtracting with WL movement between Match Day and matriculation, it usually ends up less than 10%.

Didn't match, unfortunately (and it was my only Texas interview). I'm hoping there's waitlist movement, but I'm trying not to expect much for fear of being further disappointed.

Didn't match, unfortunately (and it was my only Texas interview). I'm hoping there's waitlist movement, but I'm trying not to expect much for fear of being further disappointed.
I am in the exact same boat as you :( pretty devastated. If ya ever need to talk to anyone about it/share the pain w someone im all ears.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched! I honestly cannot believe it! Congrats to those who matched! And to those who did not, keep your heads up. You've worked too hard and for too long to not get into medical school. Keep believing and keep fighting! Find your weaknesses and work on them!

(In case anyone is curious, I am a Houston resident)

Reactions: 7 users
I am in the exact same boat as you :( pretty devastated. If ya ever need to talk to anyone about it/share the pain w someone im all ears.
Hey keep your chin up my guy. I got too many rejections prior to today. It only takes one acceptance. You still have a shot at a waitlist, and you still have next year. This is my second year applying and I spent an entire gap year doing nothing but retaking the MCAT and doing research. You have an entire year to improve your application. Please don't be devastated... turn it into an opportunity. You'll be a doctor, my guy, don't you worry. Keep pushing!

Did not match either. Good luck everyone and congratulations to all that matched, you earned it!

Matched! I honestly cannot believe it! Congrats to those who matched! And to those who did not, keep your heads up. You've worked too hard and for too long to not get into medical school. Keep believing and keep fighting! Find your weaknesses and work on them!

(In case anyone is curious, I am a Houston resident)
Same!! Congrats! Do you know if they'll be making a FB page for the new class?

Everyone on this thread has probably gone through what you are going through. I got in my third try! Reaching this mountain of a goal is not easy and it will test you in every possible way. When you do get it, and you will, don’t EVER forget how you are feeling right now. It’s because of these moments that you will appreciate every single day of your medical training!

Reactions: 5 users