2021-2022 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know how it works for out of state students? Are we notified later than Texas residents? I interviewed mid-December and was trying to figure out when I will hear back! Super excited about this school. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how it works for out of state students? Are we notified later than Texas residents? I interviewed mid-December and was trying to figure out when I will hear back! Super excited about this school. Thanks in advance :)
OOS students can be offered admission any time after October 15th. There should be decent WL movement after March-April in case you are placed on WL status. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
March 5th I believe is match date, so rank your TMDSAS schools and you’ll know if you’re accepted or rejected or waitlisted.

March 5th I believe is match date, so rank your TMDSAS schools and you’ll know if you’re accepted or rejected or waitlisted.
This year Match Day is Friday March 4, and the date by which you need to rank all the schools where you interviewed, on your TMDSAS portal, is February 18th before 5 pm.

This year Match Day is Friday March 4, and the date by which you need to rank all the schools where you interviewed, on your TMDSAS portal, is February 18th before 5 pm.
So true, thank you for the correction!

I interviewed in mid-December too and I cannot even rank this school. I am an IS applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Can you send me a pm too? I tried to pm you but I received an error message. Thank you
No problem, I realized I had my messaging off. Messaged you

I'm not able to access your profile for some reason. I received an error message as well.
I realized my messaging was turned off and I had to update it under privacy. Yours seems to be off as well so I couldn't pm you

Quick question. Is it common for people to get interviews during lets say September/October from schools and not hear back until match day? Does the large gap in time (in this case 5 months between interview time and match day) allude to the idea that the school is no longer considering? Or has there been matches for students months after their interview dates? Thank you!

Quick question. Is it common for people to get interviews during lets say September/October from schools and not hear back until match day? Does the large gap in time (in this case 5 months between interview time and match day) allude to the idea that the school is no longer considering? Or has there been matches for students months after their interview dates? Thank you!
It's pretty common, especially in the schools with small class sizes and schools which have said they will fill their class mostly via Match Day.
The large gap doesn't mean they aren't still considering you.
When you make your rank list you will rank all the schools where you have interviewed according to which you prefer.

Hopefully not. I interviewed early October and haven’t heard back. This is my top choice so hopefully I get in!

Nothing yet :( I interviewed on 10/14. Not really sure what the rolling admission timeline should look like
Ah, I feel your pain. The waiting period has been tough, but I hope we both hear good news soon!

• Care
OOS here, too. Not having any answer up till now has been really stressful! I saw on the admissions site FAQ that they'd start accepting waitlisted applicants from Feb till July. Could that mean that anyone that hasn't gotten any update, is in the waitlist?

OOS here, too. Not having any answer up till now has been really stressful! I saw on the admissions site FAQ that they'd start accepting waitlisted applicants from Feb till July. Could that mean that anyone that hasn't gotten any update, is in the waitlist?
OOS also, I called admissions yesterday and they told me exactly that. After match on March 4, they would reach out to OOS and waitlisted students. When asked what was the case for those with no mention of waitlist or anything, he said we are on the same list.

Does UTRGV send out waitlist or rejection emails if u don’t match? If not is it just a silent R?

Does UTRGV send out waitlist or rejection emails if u don’t match? If not is it just a silent R?
Neither…just silent…either you will receive a call off the waitlist or a silent rejection if July comes and you haven’t heard anything (first day of class is in July)

Congrats on those who matched! Pray for us OOS peeps 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I got the waitlist email today as well. I’m IS.

Also waitlisted today. Interviewed back in October, OOS applicant. Should I consider this a glimmer of hope?

Spoke to admissions on the phone and they said that there's already some waitlist movement and they'll send out emails in the next week or so.

Reactions: 1 users
Spoke to admissions on the phone and they said that there's already some waitlist movement and they'll send out emails in the next week or so.
So some people have already receive the email or are they gonna send them all at once

Got the A about an hour ago!!! First of the cycle, I could die happy rn... OOS applicant, interviewed mid-October. Put on waitlist this past Monday.

@wysdoc - there were 54 matriculants but 43 matched. Any idea what happened to the other 11?
No, and the school won't usually publicly specify this.

The following is a "Differential diagnosis" and based in speculation, not fact.
Some could have tried to match in specialties they were under-qualified for, or didn't apply to enough programs.
Some may have not matched and could be delaying graduation, taking a research year, and planning to try again.
There are always leaves of absence, remediation needed, and just plain failing out or quitting.

The inaugural class of 2020 only matched 35
Class of 2021 matched 50,
and this year 43.

In conclusion, there were a good number of graduates who were able to hustle, do their research, and match to some very good programs.

I'm stressed af. Retaking the MCAT April 9th so I can re-apply next cycle but I desperately want to hear something positive this week 😭

Last edited: