2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish they would conduct a file review... It would be helpful when submitting a new application. Has anyone gotten a file review yet??

I agree and I haven't heard back from them about the review of my file. It appears that they did a good job recruiting people with the "right" metrics and are a good fit for the school and its mission. I recall Betty say they weren't looking for the "brainiest" students during my interview. I'm certainly not the brainiest and I know my metrics need work. It'll be interesting to see how much WL movement they've had this cycle compared to previous cycles.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree and I haven't heard back from them about the review of my file. It appears that they did a good job recruiting people with the "right" metrics and are a good fit for the school and its mission. I recall Betty say they weren't looking for the "brainiest" students during my interview. I'm certainly not the brainiest and I know my metrics need work. It'll be interesting to see how much WL movement they've had this cycle compared to previous cycles.

How will we know how much WL movement they have had? Barely any has been posted here by users.

I remember Betty saying that they only interviewed 375 applicants and they have A LOT of movement, so if someone doesn’t match, the likelihood of them getting accepted from their waitlist is almost guaranteed. I believe she said something like this, “If you don’t match on Match Day, do not worry. You’re going to be a doctor if you interviewed here. If you don’t match elsewhere, you will be accepted here off the waitlist.” This was after she said she knows they probably aren’t as attractive as the other schools, but they’re looking for the people that align with their mission and values. I believe she also said that “brainest” comment then.

How will we know how much WL movement they have had? Barely any has been posted here by users.

I remember Betty saying that they only interviewed 375 applicants and they have A LOT of movement, so if someone doesn’t match, the likelihood of them getting accepted from their waitlist is almost guaranteed. I believe she said something like this, “If you don’t match on Match Day, do not worry. You’re going to be a doctor if you interviewed here. If you don’t match elsewhere, you will be accepted here off the waitlist.” This was after she said she knows they probably aren’t as attractive as the other schools, but they’re looking for the people that align with their mission and values. I believe she also said that “brainest” comment then.
These statistics make no sense

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

SAME. In my interview day, she said that they are interviewing 350 students and will increase their number of seats from last year from 50 to 70 taking in a couple more OOS. She said that she would be calling us late December with an answer (which never happened). She also mentioned the "brainiest" comment to me, and assured us that they DO NOT reject students right away, rather they waitlist them, and a lot of them will become accepted as there is A LOT of waitlist movement. Hearing her say this was really reassuring at the time, but it seems like it didnt work out that way at all.

SAME. In my interview day, she said that they are interviewing 350 students and will increase their number of seats from last year from 50 to 70 taking in a couple more OOS. She said that she would be calling us late December with an answer (which never happened). She also mentioned the "brainiest" comment to me, and assured us that they DO NOT reject students right away, rather they waitlist them, and a lot of them will become accepted as there is A LOT of waitlist movement. Hearing her say this was really reassuring at the time, but it seems like it didnt work out that way at all.

I remember her mentioning increasing their class size too! I wonder if they did or not?
I also remember her saying they have only flat out rejected 2-3 ppl post-interview, and then she went on talking about their waitlist movement. It re-assured me too, but oh well.

These statistics make no sense

They didn’t make sense to me then, and they don’t make sense to me now. But that is a summary of what she said.

She made it sound like they have a large amount of WL movement, but, based on this thread, we’ve barely seen any! I wish more people used SDN or were willing to post.

I called them on Wednesday about conducting my file review (which i requested early April). They said they would email/call me in an hour (after our phone call) about scheduling an appt for the file review. No emails or calls came. Today, I just called them again, and asked about my file review and they said they never got any request for it, and the person I spoke to said that they did not know what was happening either. Like, what is going on??! Seems totally disorganized over there

• Wow

Yeah I'm confused as well, because she said said pretty much the same thing at my interview. I wonder if they are done for this cycle.

They didn’t make sense to me then, and they don’t make sense to me now. But that is a summary of what she said.

She made it sound like they have a large amount of WL movement, but, based on this thread, we’ve barely seen any! I wish more people used SDN or were willing to post.

A member of the incoming EY 2019 class has messaged me anonymously to say that there have been 4 new people added to the closed class FaceBook page since the last week of April, as well as 2 who were added after the Welcome Back Week for accepted students. Some didn't know about the Facebook group before the WBW. Also, orientation begins at UTRGV on July 1.

P.S.
No, you can't join the Facebook Group if you are on the WL.
Yes, I will keep the person anonymous because Texans are true to their word.
Yes, their disorganization is inexplicable.
Yes I have seen 1 announcement of admission from the WL, OOS, on 5/3 but nothing since.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear any updates? or some new information? been quiet on here lol

I called them yesterday. They told me their class is currently full. Then they asked me my name and then told me to check my TMDSAS status frequently (whatever that means).

So I guess there's no hope/still some hope?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I called them yesterday. They told me their class is currently full. Then they asked me my name and then told me to check my TMDSAS status frequently (whatever that means).

I don’t see how checking the TMDSAS status would indicate anything. I’m only able to access the current application at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t see how checking the TMDSAS status would indicate anything. I’m only able to access the current application at this point.
Whoever said this doesn't understand how the TMDSAS app works and that last year's app is no longer accessible. I think all you can do is check for any emails from UTRGV.

Yeah, that’s what they’ve been saying all cycle and it didn’t make sense. They told me that they don’t expect any movement after the end of the month/first week of June. So if the class is filled I think that’s a wrap for this cycle :/ unless by some miracle someone decides to go OOS or decides that med school isn’t for them this year. But if that is the case, I think they are going to pick someone from the RGV area. This year class had a higher percentage of students from the area, which I think contributed greatly to the lack of movement. :/

Accepted via phone call today, I have until tomorrow to decide but I'm probably going to call back and give up my spot today. Betty does an amazing job of personalizing the achievement so I know one of y'all will be thrilled when you hopefully get my spot. Best wishes

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted via phone call today, I have until tomorrow to decide but I'm probably going to call back and give up my spot today. Betty does an amazing job of personalizing the achievement so I know one of y'all will be thrilled when you hopefully get my spot. Best wishes

Oh my gosh! There’s actually movement?

Jokes aside, congratulations!!! It is an awesome achievement! If you do give it up, hopefully the person getting that spot informs us on here!

Congratulations!!!!! Can I ask IS or OOS?

For what it’s worth... despite the early growing pains and disorganized admissions office, UTRGV has been killing it lately. They just hired a bunch of really top notch clinical faculty and opened up a bunch of new institutions and departments. They also hired a lot of good basic sciences faculty. A new building is also being built that should be done in 6-10 months that’s going to feature more classrooms, a coffee shop, etc. Dean Krouse has a clear vision and he’s really receptive to student input. Some students in my class/SGA worked with faculty and they got the school to pay for UWorld subscriptions (worth $500). Future classes are gonna have it good.

Reactions: 5 users
100% agree. I can’t speak on admissions dept, but I feel obligated to speak on the actual academic experience here. There are way more reasons to come here than “it’s cheap.” First and foremost, especially after going through this last semester I can proudly and with absolute certainty say I’m getting a world class education. Many of our professors I’d put on par with the Pathoma/Boards and Beyond people. Also, whether you know them or not, every single member of the faculty knows your name and they’re extremely receptive to feedback. This is a school that seems very centered around the student’s experience and to that extent I always feel like I have a say in shaping my experience for the better, even if something goes wrong.
Thanks for checking in, @Watah What year are you in now?

Hi long time lurker checking in!:hello: I interviewed back in mid fall, and a friend with some reliable connections told me I was in a good spot on the wait list. I've read countless threads, and I have been going back and forth on re-applying (this would be my third cycle) or just waiting it out. At this point, I think we all need to have a back up plan and start working on a new app or doing activities to strengthen your app for the following cycle. Yeah, UTRGV pretty much ghosting us hurts, but hey c'est la vie. Lick your wounds and keep going! One of us may even be lucky enough to be like @Watah and just pulled off the wait list in June mid re-app!

Reactions: 4 users
So is the school going to send out rejection letters for those of us on the waitlist?

So is the school going to send out rejection letters for those of us on the waitlist?
I don’t think so lol, we haven’t even gotten our financial aid and acceptance letter lol

• Wow
Called them yesterday, and they told me that the waitlist movement is over.

Called them yesterday, and they told me that the waitlist movement is over.

Well that’s a load off my shoulders. Has anybody here met with admissions for their file review? I’ve called and emailed them twice and still haven’t heard back.

Here's the 2019 entering class at UTRGV: Work hard, everyone, and take command of your education!

Will the school send out rejection letters? I haven't heard from them since being waitlisted