2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who already had the virtual interview gotten an email about the in person one?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!!! IS. Complete 8/30. However, there didn't appear to be any available dates in the admissions portal. Anyone know how regularly the schedule gets updated?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
II just now!!! IS. Complete 8/30. However, there didn't appear to be any available dates in the admissions portal. Anyone know how regularly the schedule gets updated?
I would recommend you call them Monday & ask them to schedule you a date.

Reactions: 1 user

II yesterday and there were no dates as well for me

I believe the admissions director said they were going to send pre matches today . Anyone pre match?

For those who’ve gone to the in person interview, what’s it like?

Also, any advice about the attire? This is my first in person interview and I’m freaking out. I do not own a blazer.

Also, any advice about the attire? This is my first in person interview and I’m freaking out. I do not own a blazer.
Yeah bud, it's business professional. If you don't have a suit, maybe you can borrow one from one of your buddies or find one cheap online. You're going to need one though. Also don't sweat it, this school is pretty selective with their II's, so they really are interested in you. You got it for a reason. You got it.

Reactions: 3 users

Goodwill has a pretty decent selection for cheap professional clothes. If you have an H&M nearby, they also have some good options

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometime in August. The only date available is next Tuesday 11/29 and I already have a work trip planned that I cannot get out of. That being said I hope some open up for me in Dec/Jan but since there are no dates available and Im the only one that had reported an II today so I imagine they are close to being done sending IIs.

Last edited:
Sometime in August. The only date available is next Tuesday 11/29 and I already have a work trip planned that I cannot get out of. That being said I hope some open up for me in Dec/Jan but since there are no dates available and Im the only one that had reported an II today I imagine they are close to being done sending IIs.
I think they only open up interview spots one week at a time. They are pretty selective with interview invites, but I bet we’ll have some dates open up throughout December!

Sometime in August. The only date available is next Tuesday 11/29 and I already have a work trip planned that I cannot get out of. That being said I hope some open up for me in Dec/Jan but since there are no dates available and Im the only one that had reported an II today I imagine they are close to being done sending IIs.

I also received an II today! Submitted my primary in early June. When I looked, Monday 11/28, Tuesday 11/29, and Wednesday 11/30 were all available. I didn’t look beyond that because Tuesday worked for me.

How does this school rank for others? Gotta admit I’m torn because I’ve already been admitted elsewhere and love that program other than location. It’s also osteopathic which I personally prefer but I understand it’s more uphill for residency seats. UTRGV is closer to home and definitely cheaper but maybe not as good of a fit (not a bad fit but the one I’ve already been accepted to so far feels like a better fit). But it’s hard to say as the website doesn’t go super in depth. The deposit for my acceptance is due 12/14, is non refundable, and $1250. Probably premature freaking out on my end as I don’t know if this will turn into an acceptance but not sure how I want to move forward.

Can others share what drew them to this program?

Last edited:
I also received an II today! Submitted my primary in early June. When I looked, Monday 11/28, Tuesday 11/29, and Wednesday 11/30 were all available. I didn’t look beyond that because Tuesday worked for me.

How does this school rank for others? Gotta admit I’m torn because I’ve already been admitted elsewhere and love that program other than location. It’s also osteopathic which I personally prefer but I understand it’s more uphill for residency seats. UTRGV is closer to home and definitely cheaper but maybe not as good of a fit (not a bad fit but the one I’ve already been accepted to so far feels like a better fit). But it’s hard to say as the website doesn’t go super in depth. The deposit for my acceptance is due 12/14, is non refundable, and $1250. Probably premature freaking out on my end as I don’t know if this will turn into an acceptance but not sure how I want to move forward.

I don’t really understand why you’d pass up an interview for a cheaper MD program that’s closer to home. I’d go ahead and pay that deposit then take the interview.

You do your interviews, make the best effort, see what pans out and then figure out where you want to go in February. Dont be stuck on one program because you are already admitted there.

You should read up on why DO or MD before doing your match list and not now.

I don’t really understand why you’d pass up an interview for a cheaper MD program that’s closer to home. I’d go ahead and pay that deposit then take the interview.

The biggest reason is probably that the school I was accepted to has a combined DO/MBA program while UTRGV doesn’t have a combined MBA degree.

As far as DO vs MD, the only reason I’d go MD over DO is to open doors for residency. As far as personal goals, my interest is lifestyle wellness/kinesiology/nutrition, sports med, and PM&R. Osteopathic medicine seems to align more closely with those interests.

The biggest reason is probably that the school I was accepted to has a combined DO/MBA program while UTRGV doesn’t have a combined MBA degree.

As far as DO vs MD, the only reason I’d go MD over DO is to open doors for residency. As far as personal goals, my interest is lifestyle wellness/kinesiology/nutrition, sports med, and PM&R. Osteopathic medicine seems to align more closely with those interests.
The MD match rate for PM&R is 86% while the DO rate is 64%. That’s a huge difference if PM&R is your goal, the MD program would be much stronger.

Reactions: 2 users

Hang on a second. How can a deposit be due before Match Day in March...? That doesn't seem correct. I would contact them about that. I am also accepted and it says deposit due 01/28/2016 LOL.

Edit: My bad, you must have been talking about the DO admission right?

Hello everyone. I did my in-person interview here on 11/4. I still dont see it updated on my TMDSAS. Is anyone else having this problem? I have sent an email but no one has responded.

Hello everyone. I did my in-person interview here on 11/4. I still dont see it updated on my TMDSAS. Is anyone else having this problem? I have sent an email but no one has responded.
I did my interview before that. Still nothing on TMDSAS. They mentioned having issues on their end with TMDSAS on my interview day.

It showed up on my portal recently following my late October in person interview. I would just give it time, and it will pop up eventually.

Did anyone else have UTRGV pop up on their rank list even after withdrawing their app from consideration? I cancelled before my in-person interview. Is this something I should contact the school about?

Did anyone else have UTRGV pop up on their rank list even after withdrawing their app from consideration? I cancelled before my in-person interview. Is this something I should contact the school about?
The individual schools are in control of these rank list things, so yes, you need to ask them to remove you.

Just wondering, are they finished sending II? Or do they typically send them through January?

Has anyone else's pre-match period ended and you still wake up everyday praying for a prematch from here? or is it just me

Has anyone else's pre-match period ended and you still wake up everyday praying for a prematch from here? or is it just me
Haha yes. Less than 3 months to match day though. Wish we didn’t have to wait so long.

Hang on a second. How can a deposit be due before Match Day in March...? That doesn't seem correct. I would contact them about that. I am also accepted and it says deposit due 01/28/2016 LOL.

Edit: My bad, you must have been talking about the DO admission right?
Sorry, seeing this late, but yes, the DO school's deposit is due Dec. 14th. They're out of state so no match day

Happened to me. Saw them in my rank list and was so confused. I formally withdrew from the interview, but it seems like I should contact them so there is no confusion.

Happened to me. Saw them in my rank list and was so confused. I formally withdrew from the interview, but it seems like I should contact them so there is no confusion.
I ended up emailing them, just in case it messes up the match algorithm somehow

Has anyone who went to the in person interview 11/18 heard anything? The end of that pre-match window they gave is quickly approaching (,:

Has anyone who went to the in person interview 11/18 heard anything? The end of that pre-match window they gave is quickly approaching (,:
I also interviewed on 11/18 and haven't heard back. Not sure if "the 2nd week in December" means 12/09 or 12/16, though.

I also interviewed on 11/18 and haven't heard back. Not sure if "the 2nd week in December" means 12/09 or 12/16, though.

Gotcha. Yeah, I’m not sure either. I was kind of thinking today, but I’ll keep my hopes alive until the 16th!

to those have done the in-person interview: did the director of admissions state that the match list and waitlist are different?

Last edited by a moderator:
to those have done the in-person interview: did the director of admissions state that the match list and waitlist is different?
Could you explain that? They usually won't create a WL until some period of time after Match Day.
This contrasts to many DO schools (on AACOMAS app) which may WL people all along, and then change that WL into an offer later.

Last edited:
Could you explain that? They usually won't create a WL until some period of time after Match Day.
This contrasts to many DO schools )on AACOMAS app) which may WL people all along, and then change that WL into an offer later.
I think that answers my question. This school offers 55 pre matches exactly so I was wondering if they kept a separate match list for match day, and if they go through that then they would pull from the waitlist. I’m not even sure if that logic is correct.

Also might be something that no one would know the answer to

I think that answers my question. This school offers 55 pre matches exactly so I was wondering if they kept a separate match list for match day, and if they go through that then they would pull from the waitlist. I’m not even sure if that logic is correct.

If the 55 students they made offers to for Match Day didn't rank them highly enough, the Match algorithm will fill in the class of 55 with other folks who interviewed at UTRGV.
In other words, not everyone they like best will rank them #1.

If the 55 students they made offers to for Match Day didn't rank them highly enough, the Match algorithm will fill in the class of 55 with other folks who interviewed at UTRGV.
In other words, not everyone they like best will rank them #1.
I guess my question is essentially: do they reject and/or waitlist before match day

Wait what had they said about the 2nd week of December? I’m out of the loop

Wait what had they said about the 2nd week of December? I’m out of the loop
Based on my understanding, it’s the “pre-match window” described by the UTRGV SOM Director of Admissions on interview day. Like, once this pre-match window’s closed (ie after 2nd week of Dec), you can kinda assume you didn’t pre-match.

I wonder how often the admissions committee meets to review the applicants. I had my in person interview on the 2nd.

Good question. I’m not sure. I’ll bet you could do some back of the envelope math and get fairly close, though.

Any prematches here recently? I interviewed in person 12/2 and I'm wondering when that prematch window will close.

Not sure that I really have an answer to this question, but during my interview, admissions said everyone in the room had at least made the waitlist. So anyone who is interviewed either gets a pre-match offer, matches on match day, or is on the waitlist. He also explained that should we receive a pre-match offer, it would be non-binding if we accepted. The way he said it made it sound like they still had pre-match spots but also planned on having spots open for match day. Not sure how separate these lists are from each other though.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how successful students are coming out of UTRGV? I have been trying to find any sort of info on pass rates or match rates and can't find anything. I'm not sure if I am just looking in the wrong place or if this is something they don't want to publish for whatever reason.