2020-2021 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my understanding, having your video viewed has no real bearing on II. Mine was viewed multiple times and I haven’t received anything from them!
Same! I have 8 views on mine and haven’t heard anything since I submitted

Members don't see this ad.

Quick update on my video, it now has a view post-interview although it was only for 15 seconds

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know the odds of matching in March? This school is very heavy on pre-match right? If we didn’t pre-match is it safe to assume we probably won’t match?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, happy new year everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew whether we had to submit our transcripts through tmdsas and email them to the office based on the contingency form or if the tmdsas alone would suffice? I plan on sending both if needed, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Hi, happy new year everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew whether we had to submit our transcripts through tmdsas and email them to the office based on the contingency form or if the tmdsas alone would suffice? I plan on sending both if needed, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!
Once you are certain about where you will attend Med school (in Texas wait until after Match Day), a school wants an official transcript sent directly to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Once you are certain about where you will attend Med school (in Texas wait until after Match Day), a school wants an official transcript sent directly to them.
This clears things up. Thank you!!

What is the typical timeframe post-interview to receive a decision? I interviewed in early December, and it's almost been a month.

What is the typical timeframe post-interview to receive a decision? I interviewed in early December, and it's almost been a month.
Based on what I’ve seen it seems kind of random tbh. They fill all their seats prior to match, so if you’re accepted you will for sure hear back before rankings are due. But even if you don’t prematch, you can match still!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS1 at UTRGV, if y'all have any questions about the process or school at all, please feel free to ask me :giggle:

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1 at UTRGV, if y'all have any questions about the process or school at all, please feel free to ask me :giggle:
I'm curious which MS3-MS4 rotations are in the RGV and which you have to leave town for. Are there any elective rotations available in things like Derm, ENT, Ophthalmology, Radiology?

Is the school planning to return to in-person learning in June, or is it still up in the air? What has been most challenging about online-learning this year for you and your peers?

Hey y'all, I got an interview email yesterday night and am having a little issue. I followed the link to scheduled my interview but the calendar that you're supposed to use to select your interview date had none available. I was going to email utrgv but I saw that they're hard to get in contact with. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue? or maybe they didn't mean to send me an interview lol.

Hey y'all, I got an interview email yesterday night and am having a little issue. I followed the link to scheduled my interview but the calendar that you're supposed to use to select your interview date had none available. I was going to email utrgv but I saw that they're hard to get in contact with. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue? or maybe they didn't mean to send me an interview lol.
I heard from someone else who got an interview invitation by email last night as well.
Try during office hours today and call if no reply to your email.

They’re actually really easy to get in contact with, at least in my experience. Every time I’ve emailed them both this cycle and last cycle they have responded very quickly so I would go ahead and email them. U could always try calling too

They’re actually really easy to get in contact with, at least in my experience. Every time I’ve emailed them both this cycle and last cycle they have responded very quickly so I would go ahead and email them. U could always try calling too
They already responded to my email and opened up some slots so you're definitely right!!

• Love
They already responded to my email and opened up some slots so you're definitely right!!
Congratulations on receiving an interview! How many dates were available to choose from?

I interviewed here in November, but UTRGV is the only program missing from my TMDSAS rank list. Should I email them, TMDSAS, or wait closer to the deadline?

How does it work if you interview at the end of Jan? For match on February 1st ?
Match has been moved to March 5th this year - watch to see that all your interviewed schools show up on the rank list in your TMDSAS portal by the end of January.

I interviewed here in November, but UTRGV is the only program missing from my TMDSAS rank list. Should I email them, TMDSAS, or wait closer to the deadline?
Send a polite email letting them know that they do not show up on your portal for ranking, and follow up in 2 weeks if you don't see it.
Wait until Tuesday (probably not working 1/18/2021 on Martin Luther King Day).

Just fyi I interviewed in December, and they showed up on my rank list this past week.

If anyone has any feedback or tips for what to expect for the interview please let me know! I'd greatly appreciate it.

If anyone has any feedback or tips for what to expect for the interview please let me know! I'd greatly appreciate it.
One of my interviews was extremely chill with the schools librarian but in my other interview they asked me a lot of ethics questions that caught me off guard so I would say prepare for the general questions but also know some issues in healthcare like health disparities

One of my interviews was extremely chill with the schools librarian but in my other interview they asked me a lot of ethics questions that caught me off guard so I would say prepare for the general questions but also know some issues in healthcare like health disparities
thank you so much!!

Based on what I’ve seen it seems kind of random tbh. They fill all their seats prior to match, so if you’re accepted you will for sure hear back before rankings are due. But even if you don’t prematch, you can match still!
do you know when is the last day theyll send out prematches (ex. no more matches after January)? looks like im headed straight to the WL if thats the case lol

Did

you match or prematch? Is the school pre-match heavy?
Hi! Yes I matched and I don't believe UTRGV is super pre-match heavy like some of the other Texas schools. There's good odds for matching on Match Day and many of the people I know didn't pre-match

do you know when is the last day theyll send out prematches (ex. no more matches after January)? looks like im headed straight to the WL if thats the case lol
uhhhhhhhh I would assume the last day to prematch is the 29th of Jan as per TMDSAS timeline. Just based, on previous forums I've read I saw someone post that they fill all their seats prior to match and then let the match add in people to fill the spots that people left to go to another school. Hope that helps! Don't count yourself out yet!!

uhhhhhhhh I would assume the last day to prematch is the 29th of Jan as per TMDSAS timeline. Just based, on previous forums I've read I saw someone post that they fill all their seats prior to match and then let the match add in people to fill the spots that people left to go to another school. Hope that helps! Don't count yourself out yet!!
Yeah, I definitely don't think this is how it works. I talked to many of the students at an open house and most said they matched rather than pre-matched. So I think only the most competitive students pre-match and the rest are matched.

Yeah, I definitely don't think this is how it works. I talked to many of the students at an open house and most said they matched rather than pre-matched. So I think only the most competitive students pre-match and the rest are matched.
Correct, but @AlturaAmor is still correct too. UTRGV does, historically, make pre-match offers that roughly equal their full class size. However, those applicants tend to matriculate to other higher-ranked TX schools come Match Day so there are plenty of pre-match positions that become available for other applicants to secure.

It makes sense when you think about how the match system works. Like the user above said, match fills any seats that the prematch people gave up to go elsewhere. Betty, who works on the admissions board, is the one who said they fill all seats prior to match and then the multiple people who gave up their seats to go elsewhere get their seats filled by the match system, hence a lot of ppl matching there on match day. So, those students you talked to filled the spots the pre-matched students gave up for the match. Regardless, none of this really matters, as long as you get accepted. Prematch, match, acceptance off the waitlist, all of that is the same. An acceptance is an acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It makes sense when you think about how the match system works. Like the user above said, match fills any seats that the prematch people gave up to go elsewhere. Betty, who works on the admissions board, is the one who said they fill all seats prior to match and then the multiple people who gave up their seats to go elsewhere get their seats filled by the match system, hence a lot of ppl matching there on match day. So, those students you talked to filled the spots the pre-matched students gave up for the match. Regardless, none of this really matters, as long as you get accepted. Prematch, match, acceptance off the waitlist, all of that is the same. An acceptance is an acceptance.
I'm just tryna matchhhhhhhhhh 😭

Reactions: 5 users
I just finished my interview and I was asked where else I've been interviewed/accepted. Is that normal? I thought you dont talk about that in an interview

I just finished my interview and I was asked where else I've been interviewed/accepted. Is that normal? I thought you dont talk about that in an interview
Same! My interviewer here asked me that exact question at the end of our conversation. He seemed genuinely curious with no malice behind it. I felt weird talking about it only cause I've never been asked before

I had my interview Saturday. Today, I received an email to join the Facebook group foe Class of 2025. However, I have not been accepted. Does everyone who is interviewed receive an invitation to join the Facebook group? Thank you and good luck!

I had my interview Saturday. Today, I received an email to join the Facebook group foe Class of 2025. However, I have not been accepted. Does everyone who is interviewed receive an invitation to join the Facebook group? Thank you and good luck!
Yup!!

Same! My interviewer here asked me that exact question at the end of our conversation. He seemed genuinely curious with no malice behind it. I felt weird talking about it only cause I've never been asked before
Ah okay he just seemed curious too. It just threw me a little off guard cause I never expected it