2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder how often the admissions committee meets to review the applicants. I had my in person interview on the 2nd.
During my interview they said admissions committee meets weekly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure that I really have an answer to this question, but during my interview, admissions said everyone in the room had at least made the waitlist. So anyone who is interviewed either gets a pre-match offer, matches on match day, or is on the waitlist. He also explained that should we receive a pre-match offer, it would be non-binding if we accepted. The way he said it made it sound like they still had pre-match spots but also planned on having spots open for match day. Not sure how separate these lists are from each other though.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how successful students are coming out of UTRGV? I have been trying to find any sort of info on pass rates or match rates and can't find anything. I'm not sure if I am just looking in the wrong place or if this is something they don't want to publish for whatever reason.
You can see that last year's class landed some very good residencies in the match UTRGV

They will not address the question, though, of why a class that started with 55 students has only 43 listed in the Match list.
There seems to be a good amount of attrition and students remediating/repeating a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure that I really have an answer to this question, but during my interview, admissions said everyone in the room had at least made the waitlist. So anyone who is interviewed either gets a pre-match offer, matches on match day, or is on the waitlist. He also explained that should we receive a pre-match offer, it would be non-binding if we accepted. The way he said it made it sound like they still had pre-match spots but also planned on having spots open for match day. Not sure how separate these lists are from each other though.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how successful students are coming out of UTRGV? I have been trying to find any sort of info on pass rates or match rates and can't find anything. I'm not sure if I am just looking in the wrong place or if this is something they don't want to publish for whatever reason.
when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can see that last year's class landed some very good residencies in the match UTRGV

They will not address the question, though, of why a class that started with 55 students has only 43 listed in the Match list.
There seems to be a good amount of attrition and students remediating/repeating a year.
I have a friend who graduated from UTRGV 2 (perhaps just one, I'm not sure) years ago who did not match into an ophthalmology residency. She got in on her second try after doing a year of research !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have a friend who graduated 2 (perhaps just one, I'm not sure) years ago who did not match into an ophthalmology residency. She got in on her second try after doing a year of research !
Ophthalmology is one of the tough ones and their residencies fill 100%, some people have to try again as you say.

Almost Doogie Howser. :)
I think a typical student in this program would be matriculating at age 20 or 21, but this student also attended a magnet HS in Brownsville called MSA (Math Science Academy) which includes so many dual enrollment classes they graduate with their HS diploma + 2 years college credit.
It's a lot of responsibility to take on at his age, I don't think I would have been ready for it myself.

Wondering how many seats are left to offer during the match day. Any insight will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think they’re done sending out prematches?

Thank you. This is my first choice. If I rank UTRGV as 1 and if this school doesn't rank me 1, and another school X ranks me as 1, will I get X as match or ?
You will match to the other school if this school doesn’t rank you high enough, but the other one does. High enough to be accepted that is

Thank you. This is my first choice. If I rank UTRGV as 1 and if this school doesn't rank me 1, and another school X ranks me as 1, will I get X as match or ?
I recommend you (and everyone going through this process for the first time) go and watch the videos on the THES YouTube Channel about how the match works.
The videos are listed/linked on the TMDSAS guide as well. Next Steps After Submitting Your Application

To answer your question, @steps1234, the possible results you will get on Match day are:
1. Match to a school where you interviewed
2. No Match

If someone has not had interviews at all by February 17, you are sadly done for this application cycle at TMDSAS schools.

I wonder how many actual acceptances this school offers to fill 55-60 seats. I know those numbers are probably internal but do they double their seats as AMCAS schools do?

I wonder how many actual acceptances this school offers to fill 55-60 seats. I know those numbers are probably internal but do they double their seats as AMCAS schools do?
Director of admissions stated they offer 55 pre matches and about 55% ish accept. So they fill the rest of the 45% through the match

Do people who get Prematch offers also end up getting ranked on the match list for schools? So someone with a Prematch offer from X school can potentially rank higher than someone without a Prematch?

Do people who get Prematch offers also end up getting ranked on the match list for schools? So someone with a Prematch offer from X school can potentially rank higher than someone without a Prematch?
When you have PreMatch offers, you can rank those intermixed with other schools where you didn't get a prematch offer.
You might match to any of the schools you ranked.
The only difference is, if you have a PreMatch, you will NOT get a "No Match" message on Match Day. You will be going to med school, at your prematch school or somewhere else.

To answer your specific question, (or what I think you're asking, @MedAmbition005) Yes each school ranks a large number of candidates.
If you have a prematch offer to school A, you can never fall completely off their rank list.
If you rank them #1, that's where you're going.
If you rank another school higher and match to school B, that's the only way to "lose" your Prematch spot at school A. But you didn't lose, you are still going to med school, at a school you ranked higher.
It might happen that you rank a school above your PreMatch school but they didn't rank you so high, then you will end up matched to your PreMatch school A.

Last edited:
When you have PreMatch offers, you can rank those intermixed with other schools where you didn't get a prematch offer.
You might match to any of the schools you ranked.
The only difference is, if you have a PreMatch, you will NOT get a "No Match" message on Match Day. You will be going to med school, at your prematch school or somewhere else.

To answer your specific question, (or what I think you're asking, @MedAmbition005) Yes each school ranks a large number of candidates.
If you have a prematch offer to school A, you can never fall completely off their rank list.
If you rank them #1, that's where you're going.
If you rank another school higher and match to school B, that's the only way to "lose" your Prematch spot at school A. But you didn't lose, you are still going to med school, at a school you ranked higher.
It might happen that you rank a school above your PreMatch school but they didn't rank you so high, then you will end up matched to your PreMatch school A.
I’ve seen wysdoc explain this 100x on 100 different threads. You’re the real MVP, wysdoc

Prematched! Interviewed 12/2

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
sounds like they're not sticking to their "2 week prematch period"!

I interviewed as a EDP applicant, but did not receive an offer. As I can still submit a rank preference, just wanted to know if there was still a chance that I may receive an admission offer on or after match day?

I interviewed as a EDP applicant, but did not receive an offer. As I can still submit a rank preference, just wanted to know if there was still a chance that I may receive an admission offer on or after match day?
Yes, as long as you have interviewed and you have not been formally rejected by a school, you can still rank it.
There is a good number of WL offers from this school later if you don’t match.

Did the school communicate with you at all after the EDP round? If you have heard absolutely nothing, I encourage you to confirm with them directly, in writing, that you are still under consideration for the match.

Yes, as long as you have interviewed and you have not been formally rejected by a school, you can still rank it.

Did the school communicate with you at all after the EDP round? If you have heard absolutely nothing, I encourage you to confirm with them directly, in writing, that you are still under consideration for the match.
Thank you for that information! The only notice I received was from TMDSAS, when they informed me that I have been released from the EDP and may add other schools to apply to.

Last edited:

Where did you see there’s a good amount of WL offers?

Makes sense. MSAR says 20 ppl come off the waitlist but i believe that just means coming from the match.
Match is not equivalent to WL.
People who get UTRGV on match day often leave if offered a spot from a WL at other TMDSAS schools.

does anyone know if this school is done sending II?

does anyone know if this school is done sending II?
They have a two part interview, a virtual and an in person session which are scheduled about 3-4 weeks apart. My guess is that they have finished sending IIs.

Reactions: 3 users
Will UTRGV send a waitlist email or if we didn't match & didn't get an email should I assume I am rejected?