2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It doesn't sound like anyone was accepted through the match, do y'all think that they just waitlisted everyone that didn't prematch and will just round out the class through the waitlist?

I think we are just lurking. I got accepted through the match but no email confirmation from the school yet.

Members don't see this ad.

No it doesn't work like that. All the schools must accept the results of the match. UTRGV was probably ranked lower than other Texas schools by most applicants and thus did not garner many matches today. Remember too that an applicant may not be on SDN or may not be announcing their match. I am surprised how quiet the boards are today actually
I stand corrected... it is weird though

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't sound like anyone was accepted through the match, do y'all think that they just waitlisted everyone that didn't prematch and will just round out the class through the waitlist?

I don't think that's how Match Day works and I don't think UTRGV could get around doing it the TMDSAS way just like all of the other Texas schools.

But I do think there will be some movement off the waitlist, especially if more prominent OOS schools coming calling.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you planning on attending utrgv?

Not 100% sure yet. Interviewed at two OOS schools in January one of which is my favorite school. I like UTRGV and the cheap tuition might make their acceptance hard to turn down.

I'll say I am a strong lean towards UTRGV as of this morning.

Not 100% sure yet. Interviewed at two OOS schools in January one of which is my favorite school. I like UTRGV and the cheap tuition might make their acceptance hard to turn down.

I'll say I am a strong lean towards UTRGV as of this morning.

Stay away from the utrgv lol jk. Well wherever you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it

On their website it says 50% of first year tuition will be covered for the 2017 entering class.. soooo :shrug:

On their website it says 50% of first year tuition will be covered for the 2017 entering class.. soooo :shrug:
Yea that sounds like a pretty good deal! I think I speak for everyone that this waiting process ( uncertainty ) is dreadful .

Reactions: 1 user
They mentioned that at the interview day but they said it could be more depending on donations and anything else. If it's only first year tuition that still leave the rest of the 3 years to pay for. I wonder what the total cost would be

Has anyone who didn't match today, gotten an email regarding their status ?

Yea that sounds like a pretty good deal! I think I speak for everyone that this waiting process ( uncertainty ) is dreadful .
Correct me if I'm wrong but for their first class was EVERYTHING paid for for all 4 years? I thought that's what they made it sound like unless I misunderstood

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but for their first class was EVERYTHING paid for for all 4 years? I thought that's what they made it sound like unless I misunderstood
Yes that's what she said during the interview . I believe she even said that that's where this class was heading

Yes that's what she said during the interview . I believe she even said that that's where this class was heading
Oh ok that's what I thought I heard. I guess we'll see what happens

There have been no similar promises for this year's class- though they might put out some $$ support as an inducement if having trouble filling the class later.

They mentioned that at the interview day but they said it could be more depending on donations and anything else. If it's only first year tuition that still leave the rest of the 3 years to pay for. I wonder what the total cost would be

Medical school is extremely expensive. As a new Texas resident I think many Texans don't realize how great they have it as far as cost of education. I'll gladly pay the 18-20k in Texas versus the 40-50k in other state schools.

There have been no similar promises for this year's class- though they might put out some $$ support as an inducement if having trouble filling the class later.
I know there were no promises made but they mentioned some would be paid for. Didn't know how much

Medical school is extremely expensive. As a new Texas resident I think many Texans don't realize how great they have it as far as cost of education. I'll gladly pay the 18-20k in Texas versus the 40-50k in other state schools.
Yea I've seen the tuition in other states and it's crazy

BTW who else will be attending here? No FB page for class of 2021 :(

Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone accepted!
We're very excited to meet you.
For those of you wanting to be added to the Facebook page for Class of 2021, PM me.

Sorry I'm late to respond. I matched at UTRGV. I also think there will be a lot of movement off the waitlist based on feedback from MS1s.

Sorry I'm late to respond. I matched at UTRGV. I also think there will be a lot of movement off the waitlist based on feedback from MS1s.
I wouldn't doubt it. In my opinion, I think it looks like utrgv would be a last resort for people who were interviewed elsewhere and aren't from the area

Anyone hear anything back yet about a wait-list?

they are either going for a smaller class this year or the waitlist will move by 5 even if those that matched hold on to their spots.
Yea but I doubt all 50 will accept. They could have matched to other schools and decide to go there.

Wow, the class is already full? This wait list is going to be torturous! Idk if I should give up hope...?

At this point, I think I'd have a better chance at getting an II from the 5 schools I still haven't heard from rather than getting off this wait list.

Wow, the class is already full? This wait list is going to be torturous! Idk if I should give up hope...?

At this point, I think I'd have a better chance at getting an II from the 5 schools I still haven't heard from rather than getting off this wait list.
They have matched people but those students aren't guaranteed to go there. They could decide to go to another medical school

Technically every TMDSAS school has a full class now. That's the beauty of the match. I would imagine this school will have pretty strong waitlist movement though.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry I'm late to respond, but I called UTRGV on 2/3 to see if I was in consideration for the waitlist, and the receptionist put me through to Betty Montfort. She said that those who didn't match or prematch are on the waitlist, and it is ranked. She told me that she expects movement off the waitlist, and that it is likely that students will be getting calls from UTRGV inviting them to the first year class within the coming months. For those on the waitlist (like myself) who would love to attend UTRGV, she told us to not get discouraged, and there is still a lot of time left for people to get off the waitlist.

I have been notified via email that I am on the waitlist and "in a favorable position" as of 2/6 & have been informed that the waitlist remains in effect until the first day of orientation which is July 5th
(Not too sure how much weight I'd give that positive phrase, but know there is still hope yet)

Has anybody received a waitlist email? Most schools send them around the 2nd week of February. UTRGV seems to be slow.

Anybody else already been matched to another Texas medical school, but is still holding on to the possibility of being moved off the UTRGV waitlist?

Just called and was notified that I am on the waitlist. They said they have a solid class, but I still think they will get people off their waitlist

Just called and was notified that I am on the waitlist. They said they have a solid class, but I still think they will get people off their waitlist

Baylor is what's going to get things rolling for you guys (and OOS schools). Once Baylor starts accepting people, those people will drop their current acceptances, and then people that got into UTRGV will have the choice to accept Baylor (if they got in it) or another TX school that someone dropped for Baylor. Then the waitlist will move for you guys.

Baylor is what's going to get things rolling for you guys (and OOS schools). Once Baylor starts accepting people, those people will drop their current acceptances, and then people that got into UTRGV will have the choice to accept Baylor (if they got in it) or another TX school that someone dropped for Baylor. Then the waitlist will move for you guys.
Yea I've been thinking that too with the other medical schools. I mean I expect some people who were accepted to UTRGV to either get accepted elsewhere or be chosen off the waitlist for another school and go to that school since it's more established

Sorry I'm late to respond, but I called UTRGV on 2/3 to see if I was in consideration for the waitlist, and the receptionist put me through to Betty Montfort. She said that those who didn't match or prematch are on the waitlist, and it is ranked. She told me that she expects movement off the waitlist, and that it is likely that students will be getting calls from UTRGV inviting them to the first year class within the coming months. For those on the waitlist (like myself) who would love to attend UTRGV, she told us to not get discouraged, and there is still a lot of time left for people to get off the waitlist.
So does this mean that everyone who interviewed is technically on the waitlist since there were little if any post-interview rejections prior to match day?

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

I received a waitlist email today. I think the way they went about it was unprofessional

"Dear FIRSTNAME

Congratulations! The Match is now concluded and you have been selected and officially placed on our Waitlist. As you know, we do not disclose the exact order on the list however, suffice to say, we value your commitment and interest in UTRGV SOM and know you are a great "fit" for our School of Medicine; our only restraint is our small class size of 50 students. Please do not get discouraged, the Waitlist remains active until the first day of Orientation, July 5, 2017. We will keep you posted via email on the movement every few weeks.

If, for whatever reason, you decide not to remain on the Waitlist, please send us an email to [email protected] confirming your decision. This will permit us to maintain an accurate roster for use when class seats become available later this spring.

Once again, on behalf of our faculty and staff, our sincerest gratitude for your commitment and interest in our UTRGV School of Medicine!

Thank you and have a great day!

Betty Monfort

Sr. Assistant Dean for Admissions & Enrollment"

No, I didn't censor my name from the email, it literally just said FIRSTNAME. Also the first line after that is a bit misleading up until it says "Waitlist".

I wish you all the best of luck with the waitlist, but I'm glad to be done with these ridiculous processes and administrations for medical schools.

I received a waitlist email today. I think the way they went about it was unprofessional

"Dear FIRSTNAME

Congratulations! The Match is now concluded and you have been selected and officially placed on our Waitlist. As you know, we do not disclose the exact order on the list however, suffice to say, we value your commitment and interest in UTRGV SOM and know you are a great "fit" for our School of Medicine; our only restraint is our small class size of 50 students. Please do not get discouraged, the Waitlist remains active until the first day of Orientation, July 5, 2017. We will keep you posted via email on the movement every few weeks.

If, for whatever reason, you decide not to remain on the Waitlist, please send us an email to [email protected] confirming your decision. This will permit us to maintain an accurate roster for use when class seats become available later this spring.

Once again, on behalf of our faculty and staff, our sincerest gratitude for your commitment and interest in our UTRGV School of Medicine!

Betty Monfort

No, I didn't censor my name from the email, it literally just said FIRSTNAME. Also the first line after that is a bit misleading up until it says "Waitlist".

I wish you all the best of luck with the waitlist, but I'm glad to be done with these ridiculous processes and administrations for medical schools.
Said the same for me. They went with a mass email instead of personalized

"Dear FIRSTNAME

Betty Monfort

I agree, an awkward and amateurish letter :eyebrow: