2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Disclaimer: I am speaking as a RGV community member here, so the following is tinged with opinion. I really try to be an objective voice here on SDN. Keep reading to the end though.

The issues with UTRGV undergrad campuses are indeed concerning. The process of taking two separate colleges which are 60 miles apart (the former UTPA and the former UTB) and creating the Frankenstein UTRGV has not been working well. The impetus for the creation of UTRGV was to get access to state funds so they could A) call their new entity a major research university and B) create a medical school. The process has brought in new administrators who don't understand the needs of the local students (fact) and who have treated existing faculty rather dismissively (my opinion). Some great teachers have decided to leave, have been demoted, or have been replaced with temporary lecturers. Students who have chosen to stay in Brownsville for college because they can live at home and afford to go, have not appreciated being told that their class is only available at the "other campus" or online. They need in-person teaching and support to make the transition to college. But back to the topic...

Fortunately, the accrediting body for medical schools (LCME) is separate from the accrediting body for colleges. UTRGV School of Medicine holds a Preliminary Accreditation status from the LCME, as do the other new schools UT Austin (Dell), UNLV, CUNY School of Medicine, Washington State University College of Medicine, and California Northstate. The next survey/site visit to determine progress toward Provisional Accreditation status will be in 2017-2018. So, the UTRGV School of Medicine is NOT ON PROBATION along with the undergrad college.

Unfortunately, the funding of the two institutions is intertwined. The probation of the undergrad component will be a major source of distraction, uncertainty, and extra work for the deans and provosts. The president of the undergrad school, Guy Bailey, has said that the specifics of the reason for probation will not be made public until mid-January. Hey! What else is happening in mid-January? You have to turn in your ranked list of medical schools to TMSDAS. Oh.

I hate that you, the applicants, are being thrown this curve ball right now as you are trying to make important decisions. The best you can do is keep abreast of the news. It also puts those of you with upcoming interviews in an awkward position because, well, when they say "Do you have any questions for me?" you will want to know about this issue but you won't want to be seen as challenging them or putting them on the spot. Maybe if they have a group orientation/meeting before the individual interviews would be the best time to ask, not in your 1:1 time. Be prepared to hear the non-answer of, "We just don't know".

I will keep posting any news updates (from reputable sources) here as I find them.
Won't most research come out of the hospitals and the STDOI? Are those affiliated with the undergraduate institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I am speaking as a RGV community member here, so the following is tinged with opinion. I really try to be an objective voice here on SDN. Keep reading to the end though.

The issues with UTRGV undergrad campuses are indeed concerning. The process of taking two separate colleges which are 60 miles apart (the former UTPA and the former UTB) and creating the Frankenstein UTRGV has not been working well. The impetus for the creation of UTRGV was to get access to state funds so they could A) call their new entity a major research university and B) create a medical school. The process has brought in new administrators who don't understand the needs of the local students (fact) and who have treated existing faculty rather dismissively (my opinion). Some great teachers have decided to leave, have been demoted, or have been replaced with temporary lecturers. Students who have chosen to stay in Brownsville for college because they can live at home and afford to go, have not appreciated being told that their class is only available at the "other campus" or online. They need in-person teaching and support to make the transition to college. But back to the topic...

Fortunately, the accrediting body for medical schools (LCME) is separate from the accrediting body for colleges. UTRGV School of Medicine holds a Preliminary Accreditation status from the LCME, as do the other new schools UT Austin (Dell), UNLV, CUNY School of Medicine, Washington State University College of Medicine, and California Northstate. The next survey/site visit to determine progress toward Provisional Accreditation status will be in 2017-2018. So, the UTRGV School of Medicine is NOT ON PROBATION along with the undergrad college.

Unfortunately, the funding of the two institutions is intertwined. The probation of the undergrad component will be a major source of distraction, uncertainty, and extra work for the deans and provosts. The president of the undergrad school, Guy Bailey, has said that the specifics of the reason for probation will not be made public until mid-January. Hey! What else is happening in mid-January? You have to turn in your ranked list of medical schools to TMSDAS. Oh.

I hate that you, the applicants, are being thrown this curve ball right now as you are trying to make important decisions. The best you can do is keep abreast of the news. It also puts those of you with upcoming interviews in an awkward position because, well, when they say "Do you have any questions for me?" you will want to know about this issue but you won't want to be seen as challenging them or putting them on the spot. Maybe if they have a group orientation/meeting before the individual interviews would be the best time to ask, not in your 1:1 time. Be prepared to hear the non-answer of, "We just don't know".

I will keep posting any news updates (from reputable sources) here as I find them.
You are exactly correct and I went to UTPA as an undergraduate. Even before the merger, man did they have incompetent workers. My first semester in college I was dropped mid semester from Biology lab for absolutely no reason. I had paid for the whole semester even before college started. Another time when signing up for bio seminar and biological writing I was told online that my major was not specific enough even though I was listed as premed Biology

Even after the merger, they had so many problems. Classes that you ended up choosing were from different subjects altogether. My friend signed up for a chemistry class and the code it had changed it to a creative writing class

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, this probation deal sounds a little frightening. UTRGV is the only interview I've attended, and therefor the school I'm most likely to matriculate in to. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there and hope this probation won't hamper my experience there...or the funding. I would love to attend med school for free (or almost free!).

BTW, TODAY IS D-DAY (hopefully) FOR THOSE OF US WHO INTERVIEWED WITHIN THE LAST MONTH. One of the adcoms said decisions should be out to day. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Yikes, this probation deal sounds a little frightening. UTRGV is the only interview I've attended, and therefor the school I'm most likely to matriculate in to. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there and hope this probation won't hamper my experience there...or the funding. I would love to attend med school for free (or almost free!).

BTW, TODAY IS D-DAY (hopefully) FOR THOSE OF US WHO INTERVIEWED WITHIN THE LAST MONTH. One of the adcoms said decisions should be out to day. Good luck to everyone!

Anyone hear anything yet? :(

I haven't heard anything. Here's to Monday I guess...

Reactions: 1 users
The disparity between what this school says and actually does with regard to decision dates is mildly infuriating.
Is anybody here choosing between here and TCOM? Which do you think is the better choice and why?

Reactions: 1 user
The disparity between what this school says and actually does with regard to decision dates is mildly infuriating.
Is anybody here choosing between here and TCOM? Which do you think is the better choice and why?
I would always choose the MD over a DO, imo

OMG, why tell us the 9th and then not say anything?! It makes the program look disorganized!

I share your frustration. Like, I understand that it's a pre-match PERIOD, and they can tell us anytime before match, but they shouldn't give us a specific date if we won't be told then. Hopefully we'll know by next week, hang in there y'all :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I share your frustration. Like, I understand that it's a pre-match PERIOD, and they can tell us anytime before match, but they shouldn't give us a specific date if we won't be told then. Hopefully we'll know by next week, hang in there y'all :(
I'm sure Monday or Tuesday you'll hear back. Just wait and keep praying

Anybody else get that weird wait list email they just sent?
Dear Applicant,

On or about November 30th we sent you an email advising that the Admissions Committee had finalized its review of your application and that you had been placed on our waitlist. I understand this may have caused some confusion. Basically, what this email meant to say is that at this time you will not receive a “Pre-Match” offer from UTRGV School of Medicine. This determination in no way reflects your credentials and/or ability to get “Matched” or receive an acceptance offer at a later date. Simply, our school has had a banner year with hundreds of exceptional applicants, such as yourself, applying for only 50 seats. The previous email, sent to all interviewed applicants who had not yet been offered acceptance, was our way of letting you know where you stood on our admissions process. We hope this clarifies the matter and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience it may have caused. We greatly value your interest in UTRGV School of Medicine.

As always, if you have any questions and/or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or (956) 296-1600.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Betty

Dear Applicant,

On or about November 30th we sent you an email advising that the Admissions Committee had finalized its review of your application and that you had been placed on our waitlist. I understand this may have caused some confusion. Basically, what this email meant to say is that at this time you will not receive a “Pre-Match” offer from UTRGV School of Medicine. This determination in no way reflects your credentials and/or ability to get “Matched” or receive an acceptance offer at a later date. Simply, our school has had a banner year with hundreds of exceptional applicants, such as yourself, applying for only 50 seats. The previous email, sent to all interviewed applicants who had not yet been offered acceptance, was our way of letting you know where you stood on our admissions process. We hope this clarifies the matter and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience it may have caused. We greatly value your interest in UTRGV School of Medicine.

As always, if you have any questions and/or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or (956) 296-1600.

Betty
Yep, just got that too. I guess some people thought they were actually waitlisted, when in reality they're just "waitlisted" until the Match, so the school felt the need to send an additional email. Whatevs

Yep, just got that too. I guess some people thought they were actually waitlisted, when in reality they're just "waitlisted" until the Match, so the school felt the need to send an additional email. Whatevs
People probably complained as to the confusion since schools don't wait list until after match day

Dear Applicant,

Betty

This institution continues to display a lack of organization - from interview day on - I did not receive a prematch offer or a waitlist email and interviewed in October. Although the underlined portion of the update would indicate otherwise, at this point it is a bit comical.

Additionally, a friend of mine was sent the prematch offer email twice on Nov. 15.

Reactions: 1 users
This institution continues to display a lack of organization - from interview day on - I did not receive a prematch offer or a waitlist email and interviewed in October. Although the underlined portion of the update would indicate otherwise, at this point it is a bit comical.

Additionally, a friend of mine was sent the prematch offer email twice on Nov. 15.
That's weird considering I got waitlisted and I was interviewed Nov 4th

Made an account just to also voice my concerns. I am on the same boat as you, I have yet to hear back from this school, in fact this was the first email I've gotten post interview on 10/21. My friend was also on the same boat and he ended up getting accepted last week and he interviewed on 10/13.

Everyone needs to RELAX about 2 things on here:

1.) Things change due to unforeseen circumstances in life (especially in medicine). The admissions committee probably didn't tell anyone here a specific date by which everyone would hear back. If they did and you haven't heard back by that date, it's a fair concern to ask why. So don't sit around and speculate and talk about the school being "disorganized," but call and ask why it happened or what's happening. If you truly believe that the school is disorganized and if that's going to be a big issue for you, then don't go to the school. It's a new institution and you're going to encounter many hurdles in being part of a cohort that really sets precedent (that every new school deals with), so being bothered by something as simple as not being called or notified (when you can be pre-matched all the way until Dec 31) in a constantly changing admissions environment is not going to fare you well. And what I mean by constantly changing is that they're interviewing a new group of students pretty frequently, which changes the entire list or rank of students they have written down.

2.) The probation issue has nothing to do with the medical school. The medical school is accredited through the LCME, not through the SACSCOC. Many great medical schools (Baylor, UTHSCSA are a few of the many examples) have been on probation from the LCME, which is an even bigger deal and shows a flaw in the medical school itself. Also, accreditation bodies work very closely with the schools to work through the issue they are being placed on probation for. It will not be an issue and it shouldn't be a deciding factor for you.

Overall, just sit back and relax. If you have a genuine concern, get up and call instead of coming on here to voice your concerns. Nobody here is going to be able to fix that for you. Only you are able to fix it. From what I've heard from close contacts, this school has hit the ground running and nobody is looking back. Those of you who have interviewed here probably know that. Good luck everyone!

1.) Things change due to unforeseen circumstances in life (especially in medicine). The admissions committee probably didn't tell anyone here a specific date by which everyone would hear back. If they did and you haven't heard back by that date, it's a fair concern to ask why. So don't sit around and speculate and talk about the school being "disorganized," but call and ask why it happened or what's happening. If you truly believe that the school is disorganized and if that's going to be a big issue for you, then don't go to the school. It's a new institution and you're going to encounter many hurdles in being part of a cohort that really sets precedent (that every new school deals with), so being bothered by something as simple as not being called or notified (when you can be pre-matched all the way until Dec 31) in a constantly changing admissions environment is not going to fare you well. And what I mean by constantly changing is that they're interviewing a new group of students pretty frequently, which changes the entire list or rank of students they have written down.

2.) The probation issue has nothing to do with the medical school. The medical school is accredited through the LCME, not through the SACSCOC. Many great medical schools (Baylor, UTHSCSA are a few of the many examples) have been on probation from the LCME, which is an even bigger deal and shows a flaw in the medical school itself. Also, accreditation bodies work very closely with the schools to work through the issue they are being placed on probation for. It will not be an issue and it shouldn't be a deciding factor for you.

Overall, just sit back and relax. If you have a genuine concern, get up and call instead of coming on here to voice your concerns. Nobody here is going to be able to fix that for you. Only you are able to fix it. From what I've heard from close contacts, this school has hit the ground running and nobody is looking back. Those of you who have interviewed here probably know that. Good luck everyone!
It is disorganized. When I was interviewed, they gave us a specific date of November 16th to hear back. We had to wait until a few days later to actually hear back. Calling did absolutely nothing. They kept giving people different answers.

It's not speculative - this institution is disorganized. It was displayed during throughout my interview day and consistently since. They set expectations for applicants and I will not commit myself to an institution that fails to meet my own. When a school is unable to complete simple objectives efficiently and properly, then it should raise a red flag and make you ask questions. Don't walk through life blindly.

It's not speculative - this institution is disorganized. It was displayed during throughout my interview day and consistently since. They set expectations for applicants and I will not commit myself to an institution that fails to meet my own. When a school is unable to complete simple objectives efficiently and properly, then it should raise a red flag and make you ask questions. Don't walk through life blindly.
How were they disorganized on your interview day? Just wondering

Like I said, if you're not okay with an institution whose workings are not completely set in stone, then this school isnt for you. Part of being a student at this school will be working through situations like this and developing the school's culture. Good luck!

It is disorganized. When I was interviewed, they gave us a specific date of November 16th to hear back. We had to wait until a few days later to actually hear back. Calling did absolutely nothing. They kept giving people different answers.
On my interview day, they even told us that we would all hear either an accept, waitlist, or reject on October 15th. Someone raised their hand and said something like "I thought in-state people can't hear until November 15th...?" and the lady said "NOPE lol October 15th you'll hear back!! :))" And you're right- calling only made things more muddled.

I get the whole "its a new school" argument, and I don't disagree- but something tells me Dell isn't really having these same problems to this degree. I'd still love to go to RGV no matter how disorganized their admissions team is- it's just an extra frustration to deal with during the application process

They are trying to not discourage people but are inadvertently causing confusion.
They've said that it is a real waitlist, not exactly a waitlist till the match. Theoretically they have have enough acceptances to fill their class, which is why they are using the pre-match period to get people with multiple prematch offers to withdraw their acceptances so they can offer it to someone else on their acceptance list. those of you that haven't heard back are probably in the accepted pool. It is very possible that many people on the waitlist will move up into their accepted list during the match. there is no way for us or for them to know since they are new to this.

They have to be very conservative in their offers, last year's process is probably not representative of how their match will go this year. if they throw out 182 offers this year their class will end up twice the size they want.

Anyways...back to waiting

I get the whole "its a new school" argument, and I don't disagree- but something tells me Dell isn't really having these same problems to this degree.

Dell has less factors that will disqualify them in the eyes of an applicant. Dell can easily predict their expected yield and not use UTRGV's trial and error approach to try and get the best commitments without over accepting students.

They are trying to not discourage people but are inadvertently causing confusion.
They've said that it is a real waitlist, not exactly a waitlist till the match. Theoretically they have have enough acceptances to fill their class, which is why they are using the pre-match period to get people with multiple prematch offers to withdraw their acceptances so they can offer it to someone else on their acceptance list. those of you that haven't heard back are probably in the accepted pool. It is very possible that many people on the waitlist will move up into their accepted list during the match. there is no way for us or for them to know since they are new to this.

They have to be very conservative in their offers, last year's process is probably not representative of how their match will go this year. if they throw out 182 offers this year their class will end up twice the size they want.

Anyways...back to waiting
Yea I do wonder how many people they accepted already will end up going elsewhere, which I hope is everybody lol. The thing I don't understand is the ones they accepted have about 2 weeks to get some paperwork done so their seat can be saved. What happens if these students they accepted and finished the paperwork end up getting matched or prematched to another medical school and end up choosing to go elsewhere?

Yea I do wonder how many people they accepted already will end up going elsewhere, which I hope is everybody lol. The thing I don't understand is the ones they accepted have about 2 weeks to get some paperwork done so their seat can be saved. What happens if these students they accepted and finished the paperwork end up getting matched or prematched to another medical school and end up choosing to go elsewhere?

That student doesn't go there and they offer that spot to someone else. TCOM, at least, has us do the same thing just to say we are accepting their offer, but it by no means forces us to attend there if we get an offer from a higher ranked school.

Whatever paperwork they have student do is somewhat of an attempt to game the match system because it will influence how some students do their final rankings even though it is not a binding agreement. the paperwork is akin to submitting the fee to reserve seats at non TMDSAS schools even though one is not obligated to attend.
I am sure many students with only one prematch offer will complete the paperwork regardless of whether UTRGV is their preferred destination.

We can all play with hypothetical numbers but no way to really predict how things will work out since we are the guinea pigs. I still stand by my previous assumption that it will take 100 acceptances to fill their class.

Their prematch yield will be much less than their overall yield, there should be decent waitlist movement. I can't see them matriculating more than 15-20 (including OOS) students from the prematch.

Last edited:
Whatever paperwork they have student do is somewhat of an attempt to game the match system because it will influence how some students do their final rankings even though it is not a binding agreement. the paperwork is akin to submitting the fee to reserve seats at non TMDSAS schools even though one is not obligated to attend.
I am sure many students with only one prematch offer will complete the paperwork regardless of whether UTRGV is their preferred destination.

We can all play with hypothetical numbers but no way to really predict how things will work out since we are the guinea pigs. I still stand by my previous assumption that it will take 100 acceptances to fill their class.

Their prematch yield will be much less than their overall yield, there should be decent waitlist movement. I can't see them matriculating more than 15-20 (including OOS) students from the prematch.

How would it affect the final rankings? If I only received one pre-match and it was to a school that was on the bottom of my list (just in general- not this school in particular lol) I would be inclined to rank the school last, because I would say no matter what, even if I don't get into the top choices, I have this fall back option. Even if I didn't get a pre-match from the school I would still rank it last. Just curious haha

Did anyone get UTRGV on their preference rank for TMDSAS (which means I got in?) but got an email saying that the waitlist email they sent was not meant to confuse anyone? But I also never got a waitlist email or an acceptance email...

Did anyone get UTRGV on their preference rank for TMDSAS (which means I got in?) but got an email saying that the waitlist email they sent was not meant to confuse anyone? But I also never got a waitlist email or an acceptance email...
And its also showing up in my withdrawal list

It should be on your preference rank list, all schools you interview at will show up there so you can rank them. As for the Pre-Match offer page, that sounds confusing. I would perhaps call them and clear that up.

And its also showing up in my withdrawal list

If it showing up on your withdrawal list you email should be coming soon. every school you interview at shows up on your preference match-list. A scool showing up on the withdrawal list means they've ranked you for acceptance.

How would it affect the final rankings? If I only received one pre-match and it was to a school that was on the bottom of my list (just in general- not this school in particular lol) I would be inclined to rank the school last, because I would say no matter what, even if I don't get into the top choices, I have this fall back option. Even if I didn't get a pre-match from the school I would still rank it last. Just curious haha

I went to an undergrad at an AMCAS school that switched their strategy of interviewing and accepting students very early and their yield improved dramatically. it must be some psychological factor.

Maybe the accepted students had more time to do their due diligence on the school that accepted them early and that lowered their desire to go elsewhere. I only have one specific example but seems like a wise strategy.

Whoops, wrong forum. Trying to delete my comment but I cant.

Last edited: