2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UTRGV in my opinion is making a mistake. They boast about how it would be great for students from the valley to stay here and become doctors. It sounds great and all but they only accepted about 11 students from the RGV. It makes no sense since they want more people from the valley to become doctors

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah he is/was. He is a great guy, I've gotten to know him since I was a freshman. He really helped me out a lot.
Yea he is. He gave me advice as well during an undergrad and when I was reapplying to medical school

Could you elaborate on that? I'm a first generation college/future med student so I'm not 100% in the know. I figured once we started classes we would be bound to staying. Especially since we would have paid for the courses already.
Don't drop off of waitlists cause you never know... Start your SMP and stay on the Tech waitlist cause you could matriculate there.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you elaborate on that? I'm a first generation college/future med student so I'm not 100% in the know. I figured once we started classes we would be bound to staying. Especially since we would have paid for the courses already.

Definitely not. I know of one person personally who started Med Sci with us then got into TCOM and left the program. Other students were admitted to other schools during the summer semester as well.

Don't drop those waitlists until they drop you. There's not a single administrator in Med Sci who would encourage you to stay if you got into a school.

Definitely not. I know of one person personally who started Med Sci with us then got into TCOM and left the program. Other students were admitted to other schools during the summer semester as well.

Don't drop those waitlists until they drop you. There's not a single administrator in Med Sci who would encourage you to stay if you got into a school.

Good luck @swaggydoc13 ! Hope you get in

Thank you guys!

UTRGV in my opinion is making a mistake. They boast about how it would be great for students from the valley to stay here and become doctors. It sounds great and all but they only accepted about 11 students from the RGV. It makes no sense since they want more people from the valley to become doctors

11 out of 50 from the valley is a significant amount. Make no mistake about it, the primary mission for a state medical school is to keep about 50% of their graduates in state, having some of those be from the valley is just a bonus. Some of the students not from the valley will do their residency at UTRGV and end up serving the valley.

Also, UTRGV is not fully accredited yet so they have to balance their mission of accepting valley residents with attracting competitive students from all over Texas. Based on the stats in their news release, the current class seems extremely competitive. It is even possible the administration didn't expect to get this much interest from non valley residents.

Anyways, good luck to everyone still waiting.

11 out of 50 from the valley is a significant amount. Make no mistake about it, the primary mission for a state medical school is to keep about 50% of their graduates in state, having some of those be from the valley is just a bonus. Some of the students not from the valley will do their residency at UTRGV and end up serving the valley.

Also, UTRGV is not fully accredited yet so they have to balance their mission of accepting valley residents with attracting competitive students from all over Texas. Based on the stats in their news release, the current class seems extremely competitive. It is even possible the administration didn't expect to get this much interest from non valley residents.

Anyways, good luck to everyone still waiting.
11 of 50 isn't a lot. The goal for the UTRGV SOM is to have students become doctors and stay in the RGV. It's what they have said all along. It's the whole reason the medical school was built since it is an underserved area. Most people who would stay in the RGV once they finish medical school are people from the RGV. Most people would want to go back home or at least go to a school with a well known residency program for whatever area they are interested in.

Not sure if everybody knows this but June 1st is the deadline for accepted students to notify the medical school if they will attend there or not.

Not sure if everybody knows this but June 1st is the deadline for accepted students to notify the medical school if they will attend there or not.

No? May 1 is the day that accepted students with multiple acceptances have to pick one.

June 1 is the last day a Texas school can take an in-state applicant holding a seat at a Texas school off the waitlist.

No? May 1 is the day that accepted students with multiple acceptances have to pick one.

June 1 is the last day a Texas school can take an in-state applicant holding a seat at a Texas school off the waitlist.
Well that's what an article said from the UTRGV website. You can find it on the Facebook page

Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know anything about people moving off the wait-list lately??

So does anyone know anything about people moving off the wait-list lately??

Like I had said before, I have a pretty good source that said they feel confident that they found their 50. That being said who knows what the shift could be. I know three spots are locked because my friends got into UTRGV only.

Like I had said before, I have a pretty good source that said they feel confident that they found their 50. That being said who knows what the shift could be. I know three spots are locked because my friends got into UTRGV only.

This "source's" confidence thing doesn't seem to make sense to me. Every school thinks they have found their next class of students when they do the match. That's what the whole point of a wait-list is, because some accepted students ALWAYS drop out. Just b/c the school thinks they have found their 50 students doesn't necessarily mean that those same 50 students have found their school. Could you honestly say that if another offer came yesterday from a more prestigious medical school, (Due to the May 1st deadline), that you wouldn't immediately jump the UTRGV bandwagon and head out to green pastures? Let's face the fact that UTRGV isn't the most ideal or desirable place to live or go to medical school for a lot of people, (I'm not saying that it's bad in any way, it looked like a great campus with a lot of perks, but I'm also sure that more people would be interested in going somewhere else more established or with a bigger city if given the chance)... I'm sure that there will definitely be some significant movement from students, (Unless this medical school was their only acceptance or if they live close by.)

This "source's" confidence thing doesn't seem to make sense to me. Every school thinks they have found their next class of students when they do the match. That's what the whole point of a wait-list is, because some accepted students ALWAYS drop out. Just b/c the school thinks they have found their 50 students doesn't necessarily mean that those same 50 students have found their school. Could you honestly say that if another offer came yesterday from a more prestigious medical school, (Due to the May 1st deadline), that you wouldn't immediately jump the UTRGV bandwagon and head out to green pastures? Let's face the fact that UTRGV isn't the most ideal or desirable place to live or go to medical school for a lot of people, (I'm not saying that it's bad in any way, it looked like a great campus with a lot of perks, but I'm also sure that more people would be interested in going somewhere else more established or with a bigger city if given the chance)... I'm sure that there will definitely be some significant movement from students, (Unless this medical school was their only acceptance or if they live close by.)
Not really it's a fit thing. It may be a desperation thing for some but a lot of people go there because the school offers its students quite a bit. Don't project your feelings onto others. At least we know how you feel.

Not really it's a fit thing. It may be a desperation thing for some but a lot of people go there because the school offers its students quite a bit. Don't project your feelings onto others. At least we know how you feel.

So let me get this straight, if you get offers from Texas A&M, UT-Houston, or Baylor would you turn them down for UTRGV?? Only 11 out of 50 are from the Valley, so do you happen to be 1 of them? What does this school offer that other schools don't? Like I said before, this isn't a bad school, but it's unrealistic to not predict that there will be some significant movement.

So let me get this straight, if you get offers from Texas A&M, UT-Houston, or Baylor would you turn them down for UTRGV?? Only 11 out of 50 are from the Valley, so do you happen to be 1 of them? What does this school offer that other schools don't? Like I said before, this isn't a bad school, but it's unrealistic to not predict that there will be some significant movement.
Yes I would...Not from the Valley...School is unique, you either get it or you don't...

It was a very tough decision, but I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope one of you gets the spot. Good luck!

My friend just got the spot that was withdrawn! Just got the call from her now! UTRGV does move quickly in that regard then...!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Did they mention anything else about how many people they are getting from the waitlist
Depends how many people withdraw? But don't be discouraged. My friend that's an M1 got a call around the last few days. It was cutting close to June.

Also, one of my friends texted me that they got off the waitlist. Idk if it may be a duplicate to the ones posted though.

Depends how many people withdraw? But don't be discouraged. My friend that's an M1 got a call around the last few days. It was cutting close to June.
Thanks! Close to June or July? I know that utrgv starts orientation in July

Thanks! Close to June or July? I know that utrgv starts orientation in July
hmmm. When ever the deadline for Texas is to notify students. It was super close to that deadline.

Where will you go instead?

A pretty competitive out of state school. I'm a TX resident and I loved UTRGV, but I had to take the best offer on the table.
Glad to hear a few people got off the waitlist today!!

UTRGV med school gets almost all the funding they asked for. May the financial administrator manage it wisely!

Attachments

• Brownsville_Herald_20170523_A03_2.pdf
    393.5 KB · Views: 71
Is there anybody like me who matched to their second choice school since match day on Feb 1st, but who ranked UTRGV #1?

UTRGV admissions committee will be meeting with an admissions expert with a lot of experience. They will teach them how to choose the best students to accept. I talked to an undergrad professor who does interviews for the medical school, and it seems they are disappointed in their 1st year students. During the selection process for their 1st class, in the professors words "frankly speaking a lot of them were lucky to get in". So for anybody reapplying for next year, good luck and hopefully they give you all interviews instead of trying to fill their class as quickly as possible.

To all of you valiant and faithful students on the waiting list for 2016-2017 cycle of UTRGV, it looks as if they have finalized their class selection. UTRGV posted this photo of 2017 incoming class today:
19657487_1372361096132845_2101089121602076056_n.jpg

Sorry I'm late to respond, but I called UTRGV on 2/3 to see if I was in consideration for the waitlist, and the receptionist put me through to Betty Montfort. She said that those who didn't match or prematch are on the waitlist, and it is ranked. She told me that she expects movement off the waitlist, and that it is likely that students will be getting calls from UTRGV inviting them to the first year class within the coming months. For those on the waitlist (like myself) who would love to attend UTRGV, she told us to not get discouraged, and there is still a lot of time left for people to get off the waitlist.
I am on the waitlist as well but I have been seeing responses of people who also have “in a very favorable position”. I just got an email saying I’m on the waitlist. Should I be worried?