2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's just a little bit worrying that some people heard back when the school said they would and others haven't. It makes it seem like we weren't chosen or something. But at our interview they said everyone would hear back with either an acceptance or wait list...

I'm going to email them today just to see what's going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a link that I read today about the Zika virus spread that is currently happening in Brownsville: http://abcnews.go.com/US/cdc-warns-travel-texas-city-spread-zika/story?id=44205952

Is anyone else having concerns or reservations about attending medical school in this particular location?
This Zika virus cluster was first found in one patient and as I recall, the others were all neighbors within a 4-8 block radius. I am hoping for a cold spell long enough to kill mosquito larvae and I know the city has sprayed in that locale.

Members don't see this ad :)
This Zika virus cluster was first found in one patient and as I recall, the others were all neighbors within a 4-8 block radius. I am hoping for a cold spell long enough to kill mosquito larvae and I know the city has sprayed in that locale.

Hopefully the winter snuffs out the virus, but it still would be a little nerve-wracking to have to go to Brownsville to interview anytime soon.

Hopefully the winter snuffs out the virus, but it still would be a little nerve-wracking to have to go to Brownsville to interview anytime soon.
I agree the Zika virus is pretty worrisome, and hope there will be a vaccine developed for it before long. But luckily for you, interviews are in Edinburg, which is 60 miles away and lacks the mosquito-friendly small waterways that Brownsville has.

I live in the RGV and I will say that it never really gets cold enough to kill all the mosquitoes. As far as the zika virus is concerned, usually after it rains here in the valley, there are a ton of mosquitoes everywhere. I live in weslaco, which is the middle of the valley but across the valley after it rains it's usually hard to avoid mosquitoes. Now if they have the zika virus that's another thing

Just sent them an email inquiring about when we can expect to hear our admission decisions. Hopefully they reply today o r early next week even...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone from the 12/12 interview date heard back?

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew from my interview here after being accepted to one of my top choice schools. Hopefully one of you gets my invite, and good luck to everyone who's either going here or hoping to go here!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 12/10 as an out of stater. They didn't send me anything until I emailed them asking what's up.

Waitlisted.

I interviewed 12/10 as an out of stater. They didn't send me anything until I emailed them asking what's up.

Waitlisted.

So here is my honest thinking about your wait-list situation. I'm confident that Rio Grande Valley was pretty conservative with handing out their pre-match acceptance offers, so there is good reason to hope that their will be movement from the wait-list and on February 1st you will get matched to this school...However, if you're an Out-of-Stater I wouldn't get my hopes up. Only 5 OOS will get the acceptance offer, and I'm guessing that a few, if not all, have already received their pre-match offers. So basically it's up to other OOS applicants to drop their acceptance offers to this school for you to get off that particular OOS wait-list.

Wait list hasn't been made yet according to an email they sent last month. What they said they meant by wait list was you wouldn't get a prematch offer but you could still match

Welp, looks like no match for me here :(

Welp, looks like no match for me here :(
Same here. Looks like wait list for us. Just keep praying. It's what I do. When I went for my interview, I talked to a student who was accepted from the wait list. They also said last year they had to get about 14 or so people from the wait list so we'll see

Same here. Looks like wait list for us. Just keep praying. It's what I do. When I went for my interview, I talked to a student who was accepted from the wait list. They also said last year they had to get about 14 or so people from the wait list so we'll see

+3. Haha, it definitely makes you rethink about how your interview went.

+3. Haha, it definitely makes you rethink about how your interview went.
LOL yeah honestly though my second interview was fine. I didn't like the lady from my first interview. She tried discouraging me from going to medical school even though I have the grades and I've interviewed before at other medical schools

Let's see how long it takes them to notify us of the wait list, since their admissions office is notoriously slow

LOL yeah honestly though my second interview was fine. I didn't like the lady from my first interview. She tried discouraging me from going to medical school even though I have the grades and I've interviewed before at other medical schools

That's really strange! I wonder why she did that. At least it's over (kinda). Ha, I guess I wasn't excited enough about border medicine!... the whole medical school process is way too long and complicated. DO schools definitely have a better system with rollling admissions.

Let's see how long it takes them to notify us of the wait list, since their admissions office is notoriously slow
I think the other medical schools I had interviewed at in past years take about a week or so

True true! This school likes the slow burn!

That's really strange! I wonder why she did that. At least it's over (kinda). Ha, I guess I wasn't excited enough about border medicine!... the whole medical school process is way too long and complicated. DO schools definitely have a better system with rollling admissions.
She asked me if I had thought about the post bacc programs but honestly I don't even need it. Even one of my professors who did interviews there was surprised UTRGV didn't interview me last year even after interviewing in Galveston and San Antonio. I mean if my grades are bad why interview me

She asked me if I had thought about the post bacc programs but honestly I don't even need it. Even one of my professors who did interviews there was surprised UTRGV didn't interview me last year even after interviewing in Galveston and San Antonio. I mean if my grades are bad why interview me
I concur.

I would say both of my interviews went really well, but I guess they thought I wasn't a good fit. Honestly, living in the RGV isn't my ideal situation, but I just really want to be a doctor. Hoping for significant wait list movement! (And that 50 % scholarship was nice :()

I concur.

I would say both of my interviews went really well, but I guess they thought I wasn't a good fit. Honestly, living in the RGV isn't my ideal situation, but I just really want to be a doctor. Hoping for significant wait list movement! (And that 50 % scholarship was nice :()
I'm from and live in the RGV so I felt like I would be a good match since I know the whole community and their needs but we'll see if I get accepted of the wait list.

I concur.

You could still be accepted from the wait list so don't give up

You could still be accepted from the wait list so don't give up
Not giving up hope just yet, but now I have this nagging feeling that this school just isn't for me...? But they're my only viable option right now until the OOS schools communicate with me.

I'm from and live in the RGV so I felt like I would be a good match since I know the whole community and their needs but we'll see if I get accepted of the wait list.
I am from the area as well, and was confident in my interview! No match :/

Reactions: 2 users
I am from the area as well, and was confident in my interview! No match :/
Did you go to UTRGV as an undergrad? Hopefully we get into medical school off the wait list

Not giving up hope just yet, but now I have this nagging feeling that this school just isn't for me...? But they're my only viable option right now until the OOS schools communicate with me.
Well all we can do is wait and pray. Were you interviewed anywhere else here in Texas?

Did you go to UTRGV as an undergrad? Hopefully we get into medical school off the wait list
Yes I did, I performed well and got great feedback from both of my interviewers .

Yes I did, I performed well and got great feedback from both of my interviewers .
Oh ok. Same here as far as undergrad. But I went when it was still UTPA and then it changed. My second interview went well and lasted longer than she thought but my first was ok. We'll see what happens

Well all we can do is wait and pray. Were you interviewed anywhere else here in Texas?
Nope, Texas has shown me no love outside of UTRGV. I guess I'll continue to play the waiting game

It doesn't sound like anyone was accepted through the match, do y'all think that they just waitlisted everyone that didn't prematch and will just round out the class through the waitlist?

It doesn't sound like anyone was accepted through the match, do y'all think that they just waitlisted everyone that didn't prematch and will just round out the class through the waitlist?
I hadn't thought about that. They could have said forget the match and we'll put who we want on a wait list and go from there.

I hadn't thought about that. They could have said forget the match and we'll put who we want on a wait list and go from there.
Yeah I think that sounds more plausible since no one has posted an acceptance on the thread

No it doesn't work like that. All the schools must accept the results of the match. UTRGV was probably ranked lower than other Texas schools by most applicants and thus did not garner many matches today. Remember too that an applicant may not be on SDN or may not be announcing their match. I am surprised how quiet the boards are today actually