2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! Interviewed on January 9th and TX Resident

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are fast turnarounds haha. Still waiting back from the Fall, OOS and hoping for good news after match day. You all are killing it!!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, those are fast turnarounds haha. Still waiting back from the Fall, OOS and hoping for good news after match day. You all are killing it!!

Dang. I think utsw release acceptances by interview batches. Hopefully they only filled 25% of their class

Why do you say it like this? Did a notification go out today?

If you didn't prematch yesterday (or before), you likely aren't getting matched and thus will probably go on the waitlist afterwards.

If you didn't prematch yesterday (or before), you likely aren't getting matched and thus will probably go on the waitlist afterwards.
If you didn't get a prematch by yesterday, it only means you didn't get a prematch.
Rank your schools how you like 'em and see on Match Day.

Reactions: 3 users
And if we are OOS, however, this doesn't necessarily have a bearing, right? We could still get accepted after match day?

Reactions: 1 users
Match day opens up slots if people have multiple admissions and are forced to settle on a single one. It also allows schools with some open slots to rank students who can match into any additional open positions they have not released as well as those that open up. However this is pretty much instate process.

OOS positions are opened if they are retaining some slots that have not been given out or if some people start declining positions offered to them.

If you didn't get a prematch by yesterday, it only means you didn't get a prematch.
Rank your schools how you like 'em and see on Match Day.

Out of curiosity from your past experience, is there more than a handful that end up matching to UTSW @wysdoc? It seems that most people who get in that don't prematch come in May from the waitlist.

Out of curiosity from your past experience, is there more than a handful that end up matching to UTSW @wysdoc? It seems that most people who get in that don't prematch come in May from the waitlist.
There's not really a way for me to know the answer to this. Even if some SDN peeps announced a UTSW match on Match Day, did they already have a pre-match, or not?
I can only see what people share here. This year's batch of applicants has been especially silent about sharing news compared to past years.

You are probably right that after Match, the next significant number of offers will come after April 30th when people have to narrow their acceptances down to one. This year is odd enough due to the pandemic that I don't want to make many predictions!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not really a way for me to know the answer to this. Even if some SDN peeps announced a UTSW match on Match Day, did they already have a pre-match, or not?
I can only see what people share here. This year's batch of applicants has been especially silent about sharing news compared to past years.

You are probably right that after Match, the next significant number of offers will come after April 30th when people have to narrow their acceptances down to one. This year is odd enough due to the pandemic that I don't want to make many predictions!
I am guessing it might be because UTSW is doling out admits a little more selectively early on this year.

They did a prematch this week which they never had in previous years in January. I remember last year (2019) they did multiple batches of admits in November and December but they did only one per month (?) in 2020.

I am guessing it might be because UTSW is doling out admits a little more selectively early on this year.

They did a prematch this week which they never had in previous years in January. I remember last year (2019) they did multiple batches of admits in November and December but they did only one per month (?) in 2020.
Do you think that this means that more people will be admitted on Match Day than in the past? I know that UTSW is a historically pre-match heavy school, but do you think COVID changed their admissions process to have less pre-matches for this cycle?

Do you think that this means that more people will be admitted on Match Day than in the past? I know that UTSW is a historically pre-match heavy school, but do you think COVID changed their admissions process to have less pre-matches for this cycle?
I was speculating that there will be a prematch round in January. However, I dont know anything about how many seats if any they still have not released. Based on the pecking order of Texas schools and ranking, lot fewer people choose to give up UTSW admission to attend another Texas school (BCM is the exception but not part of match) and historically match had much higher impact on other Texas schools.

To anyone who is wondering about current acceptances, our admitted student FB group has 463 members currently (including some upperclassmen and other people in admissions). I'm OOS so idk how the Match works, but thought that information might be helpful to some of y'all still waiting.

To anyone who is wondering about current acceptances, our admitted student FB group has 463 members currently (including some upperclassmen and other people in admissions). I'm OOS so idk how the Match works, but thought that information might be helpful to some of y'all still waiting.
How many OOS on that group right now?

Not sure... I know they only accept 10% of their class from OOS, so I anticipate a similar ratio in the accepted groups at the moment.
It would be good to do an analysis on admitted vs current students/administrators to pin down actual admit numbers (this is still not a full list since not everyone joins FB).

I was speculating that there will be a prematch round in January. However, I dont know anything about how many seats if any they still have not released. Based on the pecking order of Texas schools and ranking, lot fewer people choose to give up UTSW admission to attend another Texas school (BCM is the exception but not part of match) and historically match had much higher impact on other Texas schools.
They did have a Prematch wave this past week, Tuesday I believe.

463 people... wow

How many are newly admitted students and how many are current students and UTSW staff, I wonder?

463 people... wow

How many are newly admitted students and how many are current students and UTSW staff, I wonder?

I agree. That’s too much. I understand not all applicants are SDN members and even if they are some won’t post but to basically fill up your class with prematches does not seem like something utsw will do.

Heard through the grapevine that about 300 students have been admitted so far.

And how many do they accept in total?
Spreadsheet says 388 last year accepted total (including those who gave it up). Non prematches are looking pretty bleak as of now.

They did have a Prematch wave this past week, Tuesday I believe.
Right, that was the only guess I was willing to make based on reduced number of times in November and December.

Someone with access to facebook site should count actual admits in that FB group.

Spreadsheet says 388 last year accepted total (including those who gave it up). Non prematches are looking pretty bleak as of now.
Which spreadsheet? Could you please link it here? However, that does sound like right.

Is UTSW still offering interviews this late? Is there a chance I could get a last-minute interview? I don't know how far back things are pushed because of COVID.

Is UTSW still offering interviews this late? Is there a chance I could get a last-minute interview? I don't know how far back things are pushed because of COVID.

Interviews ended two weeks ago, much less interview invites.

Got a Pre-II R today, which makes sense considering they are done interviewing any hahaha.

• Care
If they are done interviewing, why hasn’t every pre-ii applicant been rejected?

Pre-II R. Was kind of expecting it heading into this cycle to be honest...

I got that pre-II R and thought "I wrote y'all off 4 months ago but thank you"

• Haha
Got that big R today. Happy with my options but woulda loved a shot at SW. To that person who interviewed on their last interview date and prematched the very next week.... Clutch.

edit: @drakesfanclub

• Love
  • Care
Late to post here, but I am an MS1 at UTSW. Down to answer any questions y'all have.

Late to post here, but I am an MS1 at UTSW. Down to answer any questions y'all have.
Are you aware of any students that didn't prematch but still received a scholarship after match day?

Hi, can you speak to the culture at UTSW? I am particularly interested in understanding your perspective regarding the culture across three dimensions:

1. the culture between students on the gunner/competitive/collaborative spectrum,

2. the student body's relationship with the administration (e.g. whether the admin model is legit student-centric or more adversarial/aloof/uninterested in student concerns), and

3. the overall culture between students, residents, and attendings (which I realize may be hard to assess as this is your first year).

Thank you so much!!!

MS0 here. What are best/most common apartment options people use? Aside from on campus housing.

I was looking at the UTSW match data for 2020 and I noticed that no one matched into neurosurgery. Does anyone know why that might be? Is neurosurgery really that competitive to get into or is it just because no one wants to do it?

I was looking at the UTSW match data for 2020 and I noticed that no one matched into neurosurgery. Does anyone know why that might be? Is neurosurgery really that competitive to get into or is it just because no one wants to do it?
Hard to say because we don’t know if anyone in that cohort applied

AFAIK no one applied. I think there were some this year and the MS3 class is looking to have around 5 applicants.

MS0 here. What are best/most common apartment options people use? Aside from on campus housing.
Each year they send a housing survey to students, which should get sent to admitted students at some point in the future but here is last years version

Attachments

• 2020 UTSW Student Housing Survey_For Posting.pdf
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 163