2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everybody here gets on the WL ala McGovern right? So it doesn't mean anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I may have asked this in the past, sorry in advance.

@wysdoc OOS who have not heard till now post-II means WL? Or possible A?

I may have asked this in the past, sorry in advance.

@wysdoc OOS who have not heard till now post-II means WL? Or possible A?
Both IS and OOS will be getting WL emails soon if UTSW selects you for their WL. I believe OOS students might still get accepted too, but I have no information on how many OOS people have been made offers of admission currently.

Human nature being what it is, OOS applicants are not forced to narrow their acceptances down to 1 until April 30, so that's when most of the OOS WL action will begin.

WL. IS. Got it around 8:30 am

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, I was at the MS0 event this weekend for out of state admits. Including the handful of current medstudents there (I think about 3-4) and, there was 24-26 people present in total. I imagine a handful of OOS did not attend the event, as well, so you can do the math--knowing that OOS is capped at ten percent of the entire class.

Also, looks like I'll be headed to UTSW this fall. Hope to see the rest of you there, but good luck wherever you might end up!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
For what it's worth, I was at the MS0 event this weekend for out of state admits. Including the handful of current medstudents there (I think about 3-4) and, there was 24-26 people present in total. I imagine a handful of OOS did not attend the event, as well, so you can do the math--knowing that OOS is capped at ten percent of the entire class.

Also, looks like I'll be headed to UTSW this fall. Hope to see the rest of you there, but good luck wherever you might end up!
Thanks for that info

Members don't see this ad :)
In order for 23 to matriculate, they probably need to accept 40+.
I'm not an adcom, but I think this might be false or at least in poor form. If they accept more people than they are legally allowed to and even one more than there is a spot for says yes then they'll have the same problem that A&M did a couple years ago with offering more spots than they have. The safe bet is to go ahead and accept the maximum amount of OOS and then offer spots as people turn them down in a "1 out 1 in" sort of way. I imagine this will lead to most of the waitlist movement happening in/after April.

I'm not an adcom, but I think this might be false or at least in poor form. If they accept more people than they are legally allowed to and even one more than there is a spot for says yes then they'll have the same problem that A&M did a couple years ago with offering more spots than they have. The safe bet is to go ahead and accept the maximum amount of OOS and then offer spots as people turn them down in a "1 out 1 in" sort of way. I imagine this will lead to most of the waitlist movement happening in/after April.
What you just described is what they were already implying I believe. The initial round of acceptances have already went out and then people on the WL will began to trickle in until the class is confirmed. The total amount of OOS accepted than becomes that larger number they referred to.

That number of 40, if correct, is probably over the entire year of offering spots. It may involve as you suggest, offering another for each OOS person who turns away an acceptance. It might mean that they offer a max of 23 spots at the most at any one time and offer more as people turn down offers.
The school knows its own system and is allowed to keep deliberations confidential and internal.

Reactions: 1 users
What you just described is what they were already implying I believe. The initial round of acceptances have already went out and then people on the WL will began to trickle in until the class is confirmed. The total amount of OOS accepted than becomes that larger number they referred to.
That number of 40, if correct, is probably over the entire year of offering spots. It may involve as you suggest, offering another for each OOS person who turns away an acceptance. It might mean that they offer a max of 23 spots at the most at any one time and offer more as people turn down offers.
The school knows its own system and is allowed to keep deliberations confidential and internal.
Those make sense, thank you both for weighing in. I understood what they wrote to mean 40 all at once but what you are saying sounds more accurate and realistic. Seeing the number 40 threw me for a loop and in that shock I misconstrued what they meant. Best of luck to all my fellow waitlisters, may the odds be in our favor!

I would be shocked if any state school admits to account for yield for OOS (ensuring they will have 23 so they admit 40 or 50 upfront) since I have never seen any school close to 10% in their final outcomes. I agree that they admit some number closer 23 than 40 and keep adding more when students decline.

At some point they do start ignoring OOS waitlist since it is a cap and not a quota they must fill. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much variance in the final outcomes as a percentage.

Hey, everyone. I saw the name and shame thread on Reddit and SDN about how UTSW admin is pretty malignant towards residents and medstudents.

I was initially set on UTSW, but now I'm having second guesses. Everyone I talked to at interview day and the subsequent events said it was a supportive environment, but I'm worried that they've just been selected by admin to talk good about the school.

Any students or residents at UTSW willing to comment on the culture there?

People aren't selected by admin on the student side for events. It's all voluntary and students will recruit other students if they need more facilitators. Admin at med school is admin at med school. However, our school admin works really well with us and makes changes according to student feedback. Multiple things have changed this year as a result.

As for residency, it depends no the program.

Congratulations to all those who were matched this past week! Does anyone have any idea how the waitlist works? Any idea how many students get off the waitlist? Or even when most of the waitlist offers go out?

I got accepted off the waitlist during the first round in May whenever I applied! Many folks get in from the WL.

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know what MSAR says about UTSW's waitlist movement?

100% derm match rate, 10/12 for ortho!
General question, not really specific to UTSW but is the applicant pool to specialties like those usually self-selected? Like would everyone who applied be fairly confident in securing a match? I'm assuming that if someone doesn't have a competitive application, the faculty/advisors would probably have pointed that out earlier and prevented them from applying in the first place.

General question, not really specific to UTSW but is the applicant pool to specialties like those usually self-selected? Like would everyone who applied be fairly confident in securing a match? I'm assuming that if someone doesn't have a competitive application, the faculty/advisors would probably have pointed that out earlier and prevented them from applying in the first place.
Lot of the competitive fields have expected scores and other credentials based on the type of the program. One can be self selective but one also has to know where to apply or broadly apply when applying to very competitive specialty. The advisors are not always best positioned to predict how well someone's interviews go even if they can map a person to possible locations and also can't predict their competition at those locations.

Anyone know if the no update letters rule also applies to MD/PhD applicants?

when do u think we would hear about the waitlist movement? may 3rd?

Do you think writing in an update letter or something resembling a letter of intent might hurt? I really wanted to send one in but I was told not to before match day and after I received that waitlist email I am kinda worried.

Hey so I’m a little confused about Commit to enroll dates at utsw. I’m on a few Amcas WLs I’d pref over utsw but I doubt they’d move before April 30. However, I’m not seeing an official commit to enroll date in utsws welcome materials, so I’m unsure how the timeline would work out wrt waitlists (a couple said I couldn’t be CTE anywhere if I want to get an offer).
Are you an OOS applicant to UTSW? You can PM with your questions

@wysdoc I'm also on a couple waitlists and confused regarding the CTE date for UTSW. Could you clarify how the deadline works for IS/OOS applicants?
On May 1st, you are allowed to have only one medical school admission nationwide.

You can be on waitlists anywhere but some schools have a commit date also (you need to drop all waitlists at these schools).

In Texas, you can be on waitlists in other Texas schools only until May 15th. After that no school can keep you on a waitlist if you are holding another Texas admission. If you are not holding an admission in Texas you continue to be on waitlist until they say the class is full.

As far as I know, a Texas school does not force you not to be on a waitlist outside of Texas if you are holding an admission there, even beyond May 15th.

Hi all, I'm trying to pre-write the secondary for the upcoming application year. Regarding the 2nd prompt:

"Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect. (2,500 characters)"

Does anyone know if "harassment" has to be the type that meets the legal definition commonly used at the workplace? Or can I write about a situation that meets the dictionary definition of the word?

My understanding is that some situations can described as harassment without being seen as unlawful harassment. If anyone can shed some light on how to interpret this particular aspect of the prompt, it would be much appreciated.

Hi all, I'm trying to pre-write the secondary for the upcoming application year. Regarding the 2nd prompt:

"Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect. (2,500 characters)"

Does anyone know if "harassment" has to be the type that meets the legal definition commonly used at the workplace? Or can I write about a situation that meets the dictionary definition of the word?

My understanding is that some situations can described as harassment without being seen as unlawful harassment. If anyone can shed some light on how to interpret this particular aspect of the prompt, it would be much appreciated.
I was in a similar boat, where I was bullied throughout school because of my race...that's the only way I related to the prompt at all so I just wrote about my experience and how it made me a better person...I think at the end of the day if you can express that in a meaningful way you'll be just fine! Make sure to address all parts of the prompt too!

Withdrew my acceptance here (IS). Good luck to everyone, rooting for yall!

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my other As yesterday. UTSW here I (OOS) come! Hope to see the rest of you there in a few months!

WL offer yesterday afternoon! Am an IS applicant

Reactions: 2 users
Just Got an A. IS. Interview Nov.