2020-2021 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you @D.Watson and @Spybil for your help! Best of luck with the season

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing tomorrow and still haven't received an interview day schedule. I only have my interview times available in the portal with no information about other events (other schools have had general meetings, Q&As, curriculum info). Have I missed something or is the interview day just our 2 interviews? Thanks in advance!
Did you ever hear back? I am interviewing tomorrow and I haven't received anything :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you all receive the timing of your interviews the day before, or sooner?

Did you all receive the timing of your interviews the day before, or sooner?
The day before. When I hadn't received an email by 6pm, I went to the portal and all the information was there.

So no presentation lol? How we supposed to learn anything about the school?

no presentation, i'm not sure why they didn't create an interview day. They just update the AMP portal with your interview times around 4pm the day prior. there is one open-file and one closed-file interview. just had mine, and I don't feel too confident. my first interviewer seemed uninterested in hearing my responses, and that was the open-file one :/

no presentation, i'm not sure why they didn't create an interview day. They just update the AMP portal with your interview times around 4pm the day prior. there is one open-file and one closed-file interview. just had mine, and I don't feel too confident. my first interviewer seemed uninterested in hearing my responses, and that was the open-file one :/
No good. This is the only school I’m interviewing at that doesn’t have a presentation and based on your experience that doesn’t look good either.

thank you so much. Also do you know if the interviews here are in person or virtual?
They are virtual (at least for EDP they were). Specifically, there were 2 30-minute long interviews (they have a timer in the corner so you know exactly how much time is remaining). Out of the two interviews, one is blind.

Just some words of encouragement - since the interview is virtual it may appear the interviewer is uninterested but is simply looking away from the screen to take notes. Don't let it shake your confidence :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
They are virtual (at least for EDP they were). Specifically, there were 2 30-minute long interviews (they have a timer in the corner so you know exactly how much time is remaining). Out of the two interviews, one is blind.
Could you elaborate if its like MMI or just two long individual interviews? Also do you know if its more straightforward manner or “tricky”

Could you elaborate if its like MMI or just two long individual interviews? Also do you know if its more straightforward manner or “tricky”
It's 2 individual interviews but the tone/manner of the interview will depend on your luck of the draw in which interviewer you get.

Members don't see this ad :)
long individual interviews. one open and one closed file. so for the closed file really try to showcase yourself and your experiences, they only know your name! my second interviewer was the closed file and they were very friendly and genuinely wanted to know about you. from mine, i feel that they just want to hear more about what you included on your app as well as a few ethical questions.

My interviewers both didn't have too much information about the school of medicine since they were professors of UTRGV from different fields. I wish they had more unique things to say about the school but I'm sure it was hard to because they weren't directly affliiated with the program. Both great interviewers nonetheless!

Last edited:
long individual interviews. one open and one closed file. so for the closed file really try to showcase yourself and your experiences, they only know your name! my second interviewer was the closed file and they were very friendly and genuinely wanted to know about you. from mine, i feel that they just want to hear more about what you included on your app as well as a few ethical questions.
Thank you for elaborating. By ethical did you mean it was like a situational based question?

Any tips to prepare for those?
Just answer the way you think a physician should in terms of actions. I watched a few youtube videos on how to approach ethical questions! this one and usually whatever is recommended after :) good luck!

Interview invite just now. But can’t find any dates on the portal. Anyone having the same trouble?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite just now. But can’t find any dates on the portal. Anyone having the same trouble?
Send a quick email to them today to ask, but also check for dates tomorrow morning. I think it happened once before that they didn't update the portal until the next day.

Send a quick email to them today to ask, but also check for dates tomorrow morning. I think it happened once before that they didn't update the portal until the next day.
Thanks wisedoc, I sent an email already. I’d check it again tomorrow.

This whole waiting game is rough. I wonder if we will be included in the second wave of prematches.

is this school prematch heavy considering the fact that they do ED? does anyone have an idea of when the next batch of prematches will be sent out? sorry for being neurotic lol i know i barely interviewed last week

We got this y'all! I agree that it's tough waiting, but I think it's great for the ADCOM to take their time to holistically review our files! Fingers crossed for us all :)

when were you complete?
I do not think they are interviewing based on the completion date of your application. Because they just started interviewing, they are probably focusing on snagging applicants who have a super-strong mission fit or live in the Valley. Hopefully, you get an II from them soon! :)

Last edited:
Has UTRGV appeared on anyone's TMDSAS ranking list after they've interviewed? I interviewed on 10/23 and it still hasn't shown up on there yet. Does it normally take a while?

Has UTRGV appeared on anyone's TMDSAS ranking list after they've interviewed? I interviewed on 10/23 and it still hasn't shown up on there yet. Does it normally take a while?
They appeared on mine last week! I interviewed 10/23 as well

I interviewed around the same time and it also hasn't showed up yet. I wouldn't be concerned!

Has anyone who is watching their video activity, had it watched a couple more times after an interview?

Did anyone else get an email with their Class of ‘25 FB page? I’m wondering if they send this to all their interviewees... from the looks of it, I think they do, but I just wanted to make sure!

Did anyone else get an email with their Class of ‘25 FB page? I’m wondering if they send this to all their interviewees... from the looks of it, I think they do, but I just wanted to make sure!
Just got it too. i thought it was a prematch offer :( lol oh well!

I was literally about to yell until I continued reading lol....I was like wow they didn’t even say congratulations on the email header

• Haha