2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
UTSW this year will begin to use CA$Per

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's so weird how they have auto-interviews based on MCAT/GPA. Then have a separate way of reviewing apps to invite people who don't meet that threshold. Hoping I make the cut for an autointerview haha.

It's so weird how they have auto-interviews based on MCAT/GPA. Then have a separate way of reviewing apps to invite people who don't meet that threshold. Hoping I make the cut for an autointerview haha.

LizzyM 77.5 and URM? Dont worry, you'll get into Harvard. Not sure why you are applying DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Stats only do so much for a person lol but thank you

Having just gone through this, they do "so much" is probably around 90% of this process. Interviews, dependent on the school, are generally formalities. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Having just gone through this, they do "so much" is probably around 90% of this process. Interviews, dependent on the school, are generally formalities. Good luck!
That makes me feel really happy about my chances. Thank you so much!!

Does anyone know what the cutoffs are for the "auto interview" category?

In their Appendix for admissions, they dont clearly state it. I assume it for sure a 515 or higher. It has to be higher than their avg MCAT's for matriculants I would assume. For GPAs, Im sure it is like a 3.85 or something maybe even higher. Im not sure if you just need one high category to get the auto invite. Guess we shall see!

Is it true that UTSW does closed-file interviews? I've heard that rumor before but IDK if it's true

Members don't see this ad :)
Go here to last year's thread for a discussion of this topic. #243

and my response to what @texasvandy was able to find on the UTSW policies statement : #249
"Strict numerical cutoffs are not available to us, the common man.
All we can know is that high stat superstars get the benefit of the doubt for an interview"

@jjones98 and @AlturaAmor I know you are super excited about applying, but please be careful about speculating on the boards about "I'm sure it's this number" because pretty soon other newbies will be quoting these numbers as fact even if they don't know where they saw the numbers.

The take-home lesson for UTSW, though, is: They like high stats for their first interviewees, AND they like people who submit EARLY in the season. Think submitting June-July, not August.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if OOS are included in the first interviewees? Or is there a separate review process for them?

@TheDataKing Secondary prompts this year.

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective?
Current Character Count: 0 /2500

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

3. Describe an example of a very difficult assignment, task, or situation that you did not think you could accomplish. Consider the following in your response: How did you approach it? If you were tempted to quit, why did or didn’t you? What made you stay the course despite obstacles? What did you learn from the experience?

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (Optional)

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do we submit this secondary when they prompt us?

How did you submit it without an invitation?

Secondary received. OOS. I had to check my junk mail to find the email from UTSW. Good luck to everyone applying here!

Last edited:
Secondary received. OOS. I had to check my junk mail to find the email from UTSW. Good luck to everyone applying here!

+1 was in my junk folder too

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys answer the public service question? What are some examples? I'm not sure if anything I do is considered "public service."

Did you guys answer the public service question? What are some examples? I'm not sure if anything I do is considered "public service."

Examples are listed in the prompt. Americorps, teach for america, essentially one of those full time volunteerism things. What are you considering putting?

I did something like Teach for America but it was part of my undergrad coursework so I wrote not applicable for mine.

I have withdrawal in my freshman year from Calculus. This is the only real "academic discrepancy" on record, and I got an A in the same course the next semester. I feel like this isn't worth writing about for the optional prompt because I have no explanation other than "I didn't belong in a calculus course during my first semester of college." Is this a situation where I should bite the bullet and write it?

I have withdrawal in my freshman year from Calculus. This is the only real "academic discrepancy" on record, and I got an A in the same course the next semester. I feel like this isn't worth writing about for the optional prompt because I have no explanation other than "I didn't belong in a calculus course during my first semester of college." Is this a situation where I should bite the bullet and write it?
Withdrawals don't need any comment unless you use them repeatedly. Carry On!

@wysdoc I had one semester where I got a C in a class and had to withdraw from another class, but got A's in two other classes. I had a lot of personal problems back home w the parents during that semester. Is that something they would want me to write about? I had a stable trend in A's over my undergrad career until that semester. I ended up getting a 4.0 on the next semester, which was my final semester

@wysdoc I had one semester where I got a C in a class and had to withdraw from another class, but got A's in two other classes. I had a lot of personal problems back home w the parents during that semester. Is that something they would want me to write about? I had a stable trend in A's over my undergrad career until that semester. I ended up getting a 4.0 on the next semester, which was my final semester
If it’s something you feel you need to explain and not just a small blip in your college life, you may. Be matter-of-fact and explain briefly how you got past it.

For the group project/activity secondary prompt, could I write about an experience in high school? Our physics teacher made a crazy final project where we had to build a trebuchet (~7 ft tall) and we were graded based on its performance. I spent crazy long nights on that with my group, and none of us had any woodworking experience. Alternatively, if high school experiences are a no go, I was thinking about writing about a project in a neuroscience class senior year where we designed our own behavior task and had our classmates participate in the experiment.

How long did it take for you to get an email after submission to TMDSAS?

How long did it take for you to get an email after submission to TMDSAS?

UTSW was the first school to send me an email after my app transmitted. Be sure to check your spam folder

I released my score on 5/16, and my app was transmitted to schools 6/5 so hopefully it's coming soon :( it's not in my spam folder but thanks for the heads up!
I haven’t gotten mine either and I submitted 5/20 :( I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the UTSW portal for secondaries? I was able to open it up yesterday and read it, but not anymore.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the UTSW portal for secondaries? I was able to open it up yesterday and read it, but not anymore.

Its working fine for me, check your browser?

Try resetting your password. That worked for me.

For this prompt "Describe an example of a very difficult assignment, task, or situation that you did not think you could accomplish", would it be OK to talk about a leadership position you served in and some of the struggles faced and how i learned from them? Or should I just stick to just one situation?

For this prompt "Describe an example of a very difficult assignment, task, or situation that you did not think you could accomplish", would it be OK to talk about a leadership position you served in and some of the struggles faced and how i learned from them? Or should I just stick to just one situation?
Personally I feel like the leadership example is fine. Just my opinion though.

My rec letter status on the portal says it hasn't been received, but TMDSAS has all my letters and my portals for other schools say they have received them. Anyone else have this issue?

My rec letter status on the portal says it hasn't been received, but TMDSAS has all my letters and my portals for other schools say they have received them. Anyone else have this issue?
It is no doubt an issue of office staff working from home & not having the supporting documents logged in yet. You know that TMDSAS has sent them, so just wait.
Write some essays

There's a document upload tab on the secondary application - should I upload my CV or just ignore it?

I'm trying to pre-write my secondaries and I'm a bit confused by the term of "public service". I was in leadership for a national nonprofit but it isn't the likes of TFA and I wasn't paid. Does that count?

I'm trying to pre-write my secondaries and I'm a bit confused by the term of "public service". I was in leadership for a national nonprofit but it isn't the likes of TFA and I wasn't paid. Does that count?
It is leadership or volunteer work, but you didn't have to go devote 100% of your time to it like the examples they gave, so I would say it isn't the same thing. Would it fit in prompt #1 or #3?