2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is more interesting is that if you use your normal youtube account, your likes and any other videos posted can be viewed depending on your account settings. That is worse than the video itself being viewable.
I do not have a Youtube or Google account. Is it possible to upload as a guest?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have a Youtube or Google account. Is it possible to upload as a guest?
Honestly its not that big a deal. I think you do have to make a google account, but you can 1) make the video unlisted 2) make all your other account info private. Well informed applicants have nothing to freak out about lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Fairly certain they’re looking at secondaries. My video views have jumped quite a bit. Unlisted. I’m at 11 and only 4 of those are me viewing from other devices lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fairly certain they’re looking at secondaries. My video views have jumped quite a bit. Unlisted. I’m at 11 and only 4 of those are me viewing from other devices lol.

Interesting. When did you submit? Stats? Mine hasn't changed, only my views are on it, and I submitted the first day.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. When did you submit? Stats? Mine hasn't changed, only my views are on it, and I submitted the first day.

Ruh Roh, maybe it’s not as unlisted as I thought. I submitted only last Friday, LizzyM ~65, ORM, Non-Trad....seems very interesting indeed, especially if you submitted the first day.

I've watched like 12 videos. What is your name, maybe I can tell you if its unlisted ;) (KIDDING, MODS!)

I've watched like 12 videos. What is your name, maybe I can tell you if its unlisted ;) (KIDDING, MODS!)
Yep, it’s definitely unlisted. YouTube needs to explain where these phantom 7 views are coming from.....PRONTO.

They probably have started. According to the very helpful pdf posted by wysdoc on page 1, they assign the app randomly. Maybe your assigned person is viewing them sooner or something. I wouldn't stress, man. It'll happen or it won't, for all of us.

I cringed so hard watching my video

I cringed so hard watching my video

Me too. I also cringed when I watched my own video.

(KIDDING. I have no idea who you are. I'm new here and know there are weird rules about doxing.. I am not doxing anyone, just joking around to lighten the mood. I know zero people's true identity from SDN.)

(KIDDING. I have no idea who you are. I'm new here and know there are weird rules about doxing.. I am not doxing anyone, just joking around to lighten the mood. I know zero people's true identity from SDN.)

I made sure mine was unlisted lol

Wait......Are you not a suit? This whole time.

Yep, it’s definitely unlisted. YouTube needs to explain where these phantom 7 views are coming from.....PRONTO.

You know, it just occurred to me, you can dig deeper into the watch statistics and see if they came from an external viewer, when the views happened, and even the state (maybe city, which is more helpful?) they came from. Might wanna mess around with the view stats if you're really curious. Mine still hasn't been viewed for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, it just occurred to me, you can dig deeper into the watch statistics and see if they came from an external viewer, when the views happened, and even the state (maybe city, which is more helpful?) they came from. Might wanna mess around with the view stats if you're really curious. Mine still hasn't been viewed for sure.

So this is embarrassing. I checked the analytics like you suggested, so those views came from Tennessee and New York. Places where my best friends live.... who i had sent the link to, instead of the actual video from my phone, like I thought. Umm sorry for the false alarm everyone. I’ll go ahead and go hide for a few days now.

I wouldn’t say it’s ineptiude. They do provide instructions to say that the video can be uploaded as unlisted, in which case it’ll never show up in search. I think with any new system, things are going to be a bit slow to catch up to the level of sophistication we all expect in 2018. However, this doesn’t and shouldn’t dissolve any responsibility we have as applicants to ensure our application is submitted the way we see fit. I think it’s really on us to ensure that our video is uploaded as unlisted. After all, we’re all trying to enter a career where people’s lives literally depend on us, so we have to share some of the responsibility in this whole process. So while I agree, it’s not ideal to upload to YouTube, those guys should’ve double checked their settings. Heck, they might not care that others can view their videos.

Tho did anyone realize they spelled "adjective" wrong in the first question haha. Definitely evokes feelings of confidence.

Something just occurred to me. The learning experiences section of the secondary says to describe experiences unrelated to science or medicine, which is easy enough for everything except the video. The video is asking us to describe how we align with their mission, which has everything to do with science and medicine. I've recorded my video (in which I talked about science and medicine) but have yet to submit the secondary.

In some of the ones I saw publicly listed on YouTube, people mentioned science/medicine. What do you guys think? Perhaps they put the video prompt in the wrong section? I don't see how to do the video without talking about science/medicine...

Something just occurred to me. The learning experiences section of the secondary says to describe experiences unrelated to science or medicine, which is easy enough for everything except the video. The video is asking us to describe how we align with their mission, which has everything to do with science and medicine. I've recorded my video (in which I talked about science and medicine) but have yet to submit the secondary.

In some of the ones I saw publicly listed on YouTube, people mentioned science/medicine. What do you guys think? Perhaps they put the video prompt in the wrong section? I don't see how to do the video without talking about science/medicine...

Yeah I noticed that as well, but decided to just submit my video as it was anyways

Did you guys read off a script or just wing it?

I read off a script, but I made sure I was making "eye contact" with the webcam.

Saaame. :rolleyes: I did maybe 10 takes because I kept blanking out or stumbling over words. Embarrassing, I know. Editing subtitles was kind of fun, though. (minus putting up with the sound of my voice over and over ew)

Last edited:

I noticed that when I did my video too. On the advice of dodolol21 I just briefly mentioned I was in research without getting into any of the science. Then I focused on the non science and medicine parts of mission statement and talked about traveling experiences/character traits that make me a good custodian to uphold it. I definitely think (at least I hope) there’s more leeway on that question than any of the other since A. It’s a video and awkward AF. B. Everyone’s video I’ve seen (myself included) is super cringey to watch. C. The statement speaks specifically about science and medicine to carry out x,y,z kind of health care.

Hi!

So my application was transmitted June 20th, but my comittee packet was uploaded to TMDSAS on June 25th. Still haven't received the secondary though...509 MCAT and 3.7 GPA...should I be worried? Or is it just processing time? UTRGV is actually one of my top choices because I really like their mission and campus.

Hi!

So my application was transmitted June 20th, but my comittee packet was uploaded to TMDSAS on June 25th. Still haven't received the secondary though...509 MCAT and 3.7 GPA...should I be worried? Or is it just processing time? UTRGV is actually one of my top choices because I really like their mission and campus.
Give it some processing time

Hi!

Probably just processing time. I was transmitted 5/24 and didn’t receive an invite till 6/7. My stats are lower than yours so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a secondary without transcript/letters in? TMDSAS just got my transcript on Monday but my letter won't be in for another month most likely (my school's committee kind of sucks tbh, they don't release letters until July 1 at the absolute earliest). I know this kills my chances with any Texas school but I know some (A&M I think) even send out interview invites without letters so just wondering if I might get a secondary from here since I should pass the GPA/MCAT screen now that my transcript's in

Has anyone gotten a secondary without transcript/letters in? TMDSAS just got my transcript on Monday but my letter won't be in for another month most likely (my school's committee kind of sucks tbh, they don't release letters until July 1 at the absolute earliest). I know this kills my chances with any Texas school but I know some (A&M I think) even send out interview invites without letters so just wondering if I might get a secondary from here since I should pass the GPA/MCAT screen now that my transcript's in
I got the secondary before my letter was uploaded.

Don't worry about the letters being sent in July, some of the schools formally start reviewing the entire application in August. Texas Tech this year is rewarding applicants who are complete early with interview invitations. I haven't seen anyone announce interview invitations yet from other Texas schools.

FYI, my video has definitely been viewed, so they are at least reviewing apps.

FYI, my video has definitely been viewed, so they are at least reviewing apps.
I jinxed myself by thinking it was viewed last week, lol. That analytics thing you told me about is pretty nifty though!

I'm not willing to post a screenshot, but it was viewed this week from an external player and I am unlisted. I have not shared the video with anyone and I've never viewed it from an external viewer, like the one on the secondary app.

Mine was likely in the first batch because I submitted the first day, and very early the first day. I may have been the first submitted.

I'm probably doxxing myself to UTRGV but I'm new and haven't posted anything terrible. Love you, UTRGV!

I'd post a screenshot of my analytics but don't want to 100% dox myself.

ugh i'm still waiting on the secondary email

I'm not willing to post a screenshot, but it was viewed this week from an external player and I am unlisted. I have not shared the video with anyone and I've never viewed it from an external viewer, like the one on the secondary app.

Mine was likely in the first batch because I submitted the first day, and very early the first day. I may have been the first submitted.

I'm probably doxxing myself to UTRGV but I'm new and haven't posted anything terrible. Love you, UTRGV!

I'd post a screenshot of my analytics but don't want to 100% dox myself.

Just checked and mine was viewed also! For sure this time!

uploading the video on youtube is so unprofessional and it invades applicants' privacy good gosh.

uploading the video on youtube is so unprofessional and it invades applicants' privacy good gosh.
It really isn't that bad... as long as you have a separate Google account for apps/professional matters (as you should), it isn't an invasion of privacy. My video is unlisted and hasn't been viewed by anyone who doesn't have the link.

Just make it unlisted and make sure it is an account that isn't crazy with other weird stuff on it.

Edit: @treesnm3s beat me to it.

Just checked and mine was viewed also! For sure this time!

So I got 1 view a couple of days ago, but I can't remember if I accidentally clicked it or it was an actual view. My video is unlisted, and only 41 seconds was watched.

If yall's were actually viewed, how many did it go up by? and was the whole thing watch? God, I hope they watch the whole thing. We deserve at least that after this cringe-worthy experiment, lol.

So I got 1 view a couple of days ago, but I can't remember if I accidentally clicked it or it was an actual view. My video is unlisted, and only 41 seconds was watched.

If yall's were actually viewed, how many did it go up by? and was the whole thing watch? God, I hope they watch the whole thing. We deserve at least that after this cringe-worthy experiment, lol.
Mine only went up by 1. And all of it was watched. Check out the YouTube analytics thing, maybe you can figure out if it was you or not. It’ll tell you if it was watched on the computer or a phone. Assuming you’re in Texas, the geo distribution might not be helpful but maybe you can figure it out from other things on there. Shout out to Suiture for this handy dandy little tool.

Mine was watched in full. The analytics is a cool tool in general. If we become classmates I can show you lots of little tips and tricks - I taught myself how to program over the last two years for a project I was working on, and it has increased my skills in stuff like figuring out youtube analytics.

How long did it take before you guys for the secondary invite?

I just got the secondary and now they are asking students to upload the video unlisted and not public.

Hah! They must be watching this thread...

Hah! They must be watching this thread...

Great, now I'm neurotic AND paranoid :dead: