2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No. All of my other schools are there though. I think someone mentioned that UTRGV wouldn't be on there for awhile though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyones rank list popped up on TMDSAS?

When I called like last month, they told me they wouldn't show up on the rank list at all until they had started extending pre-match offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called like last month, they told me they wouldn't show up on the rank list at all until they had started extending pre-match offers.
Oh I see. Ok, well thank you for the information. Good luck everyone!

Withdrawn pre interview - good luck on y'all's cycles

Reactions: 3 users
Do y'all know what time tomorrow we should expect pre-matches and waitlists?

Do y'all know what time tomorrow we should expect pre-matches and waitlists?
Zero clue lol, but I think last year's went out in the afternoon. Tbh they'd probably give you an idea/estimate if you called. They're pretty good about answering these kinds of things.

Interview day here was absolutely amazing. I feel in love with the school. They treat you really well. The facilities are top notch and the school has a very unique mission. If you want to serve the underprivileged, this is the place to go. It's an amazing top quality school. The interviews are in the morning which is nice because you will be walking a LOT and you will get a little tired but you're going to be having fun the whole time. The student tour guides were hilarious and made everything so much fun. Quesadillas for lunch unless you are vegetarian (then you eat salad).

Informational presentations are AFTER your interview. Thus, it is very important to do your research on the school BEFORE HAND. There were under 20 ppl at my interview.
ALSO YOU GET FIDGET SPINNERS. :banana:

Reactions: 2 users
Interview day here was absolutely amazing. I feel in love with the school. They treat you really well. The facilities are top notch and the school has a very unique mission. If you really want to serve mankind, this is the place to go. It really aligns with my personal goals and if you interview here they know that. The interviews are in the morning which is nice because you will be walking a LOT and you will get a little tired but you're going to be having fun the whole time. The student tour guides were hilarious and made everything so much fun. Quesadillas for lunch unless you are vegetarian (then you eat salad).

Informational presentations are AFTER your interview. Thus, it is very important to do your research on the school BEFORE HAND. There were under 20 ppl at my interview.
I agree with everything you said, but my day didn’t get quesadillas or fidget spinners! That’s awesome haha. We had pasta for lunch, but the breakfast burritos were great

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everything you said, but my day didn’t get quesadillas or fidget spinners! That’s awesome haha. We had pasta for lunch, but the breakfast burritos were great

Oh nice! We didn't get breakfast burritos! I ate salad for lunch because I was vegetarian. It seems like there is a little bit of variance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day here was absolutely amazing. I feel in love with the school. They treat you really well. The facilities are top notch and the school has a very unique mission. If you want to serve the underprivileged, this is the place to go. It's an amazing top quality school. The interviews are in the morning which is nice because you will be walking a LOT and you will get a little tired but you're going to be having fun the whole time. The student tour guides were hilarious and made everything so much fun. Quesadillas for lunch unless you are vegetarian (then you eat salad).

Happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience! I loved it when I interviewed too, though we got chick fil-a for lunch and a continental breakfast lol. Glad to see they've stuck with the fidget spinner deal throughout the cycle :laugh:

So is the consensus for tomorrow that they're either calling or emailing? I'll be working most of the day tomorrow but it won't be a productive day because I'll be frantically checking my phone for a call LOL

Accepted!

Reactions: 7 users
Email! Good luck to you guys

ACCEPTED!!! Check your spam folder because that's where mine was!!

Reactions: 7 users
So is the consensus for tomorrow that they're either calling or emailing? I'll be working most of the day tomorrow but it won't be a productive day because I'll be frantically checking my phone for a call LOL
When did you interview?

Perhaps I am just going crazy. But just want to double check. To those that were accepted via email, did it say your name in the email? Or just "Dear Applicant"? I just want to make sure it is for real.

Perhaps I am just going crazy. But just want to double check. To those that were accepted via email, did it say your name in the email? Or just "Dear Applicant"? I just want to make sure it is for real.

I was accepted on oct 16 not today. But it said dear applicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Okay awesome. Thank you @abriA0 . I am looking forward to meeting you guys too! :)

To everyone who was accepted yesterday, are y'all IS it OOS?

Any movement for IS peeps? Today is supposed to be the big day!

Any movement for IS peeps? Today is supposed to be the big day!

From their signatures, I think the acceptances above were instate. But I had a later interview date and I was told my date would be notified today, the 16th, and not yesterday.

Also worth noting, based on last years thread it seems as though they released prematch acceptances in waves once a week through until december presumably as people accept other offers and drop off.

From their signatures, I think the acceptances above were instate. But I had a later interview date and I was told my date would be notified today, the 16th, and not yesterday.

Also worth noting, based on last years thread it seems as though they released prematch acceptances in waves once a week through until december presumably as people accept other offers and drop off.

Yeah, that’s unusual. I don’t know why they would tell every interview cohort that they are going to release decisions on Nov 16, if they wouldn’t. When I asked, they said we would know waitlist, rejection, acceptance on this date so let’s see!

Yeah, that’s unusual. I don’t know why they would tell every interview cohort that they are going to release decisions on Nov 16, if they wouldn’t. When I asked, they said we would know waitlist, rejection, acceptance on this date so let’s see!
OOSer here anxiously waiting for a decision today. Wishing everyone good luck!

Yeah, actually if I remember correctly they said we would even be told our actual waitlist rank as well.

When did you interview? I didn't know they sent them out week by week. I was under the impression they'd fill the class on 11/16 and send out more acceptances as people rejected the offer or withdrew their spot. Otherwise, it'd be up to match day to find out.

When did you interview? I didn't know they sent them out week by week. I was under the impression they'd fill the class on 11/16 and send out more acceptances as people rejected the offer or withdrew their spot. Otherwise, it'd be up to match day to find out.

I was an october interview and they basically indicated that their next committee meeting wouldn't be until today. If you look at the 2016-2017 thread they sent out acceptances on 11/16/2016, 11/23/2016, 12/3/2016, 12/8/2016, 12/12/2016, etc you get the point.

Yeah i went to interview in October and they also told us that they would be discussing on the 15th and then either calling or emailing on the 16th at which point we would be told if we were accepted waitlisted, or rejected.

waitlisted... "but in a very favorable spot"

Reactions: 3 users
I assume there is a good bit of movement on UTRGV's waitlist, not due to the email, but I'm sure many of the people accepted here will end up going to a more established program.

I got the same email. I wonder if they tell everyone they are in a favorable position lol

Haven’t gotten an email yet with a decision. Anxiety increasing exponentially

I wonder if they sent out any acceptances yet today. They’ve probably given out 50+ prematch offers I’m assuming and now they are giving out waitlisted?

No email crew right here. Hoping its not an "unfavorable" spot :(:(

@brachialplexus , @JustAddWatah and the rest of y'all. I want to say this in the most nonjudgmental way I can, while still being real. Don't hold your breath or expect promptness from this school. They are still really finding their way in the whole admissions/application game and would benefit from having some team meetings so all the staff, secretaries, etc. could give out a consistent message. There is a new dean this year who will hopefully supply some more direction.
Last year they promised results on the 15th, then the 16th, but eventually gave admission offers on the 23rd. Also, they gave out WL and rejections before they gave out acceptances, which to me seems a disheartening way to go about things :oops:. They seem to leave a good impression with you after your interview/visit, so that part of their process seems to be on point.

Here is what I said about this issue last year :
I will try to explain, in the kindest way possible, the peculiar mindset of people in the Rio Grande Valley. Most people here are kind and good hearted. But they never want to disappoint you, the customer, in any way. So if you ask a question, they will tell you what they think you want to hear. Here is my example using auto mechanics rather than med school applications.
Me: How long do you think it will take to repair my car?
Mechanic: Oh, by this afternoon for sure, no worries.
Me (late afternoon) I'm calling to check on my car, any news?
Mechanic: Oh, so sorry ma'am, we were so busy we were not able to even look at your car yet this afternoon. But first thing tomorrow, for sure.
And so it goes, like this. Now, he did want to make me happy and have it ready, but he really didn't know. So he told me what he thought I wanted to hear. But since I am a pragmatic and matter-of-fact person, I really would rather hear the facts - and if he told me it would be ready in 3 days and it was, this would be a better way for me to hear the same news.

When I first moved here over 20 years ago I really had to learn to cool my jets and dial back my expectations.

So, to finish this up, this kind of thing is typical for the Rio Grande Valley. If you are an urban, fast-paced person, it may drive you bonkers. Take this into consideration along with all the other factors when you choose a school.

Reactions: 4 users