2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't receive a prematch email offer or a waitlist email, but just checked the TMDSAS prematch offer withdrawal page, and UTRGV is listed! Hoping this is good news

I'd guess it's legit - congratulations!! I'm assuming you hadn't received any other kind of email or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Love this school, but declined today. Hope someone hears good news from them next week!

I didn't receive a prematch email offer or a waitlist email, but just checked the TMDSAS prematch offer withdrawal page, and UTRGV is listed! Hoping this is good news

My pre-match email was in my junk folder if you haven't checked there yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Love this school, but declined today. Hope someone hears good news from them next week!

My pre-match email was in my junk folder if you haven't checked there yet!
I hope i will get your acceptance. But you are the MVP my friend. And if you dont me asking when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd guess it's legit - congratulations!! I'm assuming you hadn't received any other kind of email or anything?

Nope, no kind of email or anything in my junk folder either! Aaaa I hope it's not some kind of mistake lol!
Thank you guys! Keep a lookout on TMDSAS and good luck!

I was waitlisted with a "very favorable position" as well. For those that were accepted, was there any information regarding this class receiving a scholarship for attending the school in your online portal? The inaugural class had 100% of years 1 and 2, while the 2nd class had 50% of first year paid for. On interview day they mentioned that they thought funding would continue for the 2018 class but were not sure just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted with a "very favorable position" as well. For those that were accepted, was there any information regarding this class receiving a scholarship for attending the school in your online portal? The inaugural class had 100% of years 1 and 2, while the 2nd class had 50% of first year paid for. On interview day they mentioned that they thought funding would continue for the 2018 class but were not sure just yet.

I was accepted in October 16. There has been no portal change or even tab added to the portal. Just the email in regards to our acceptance. They will also be sending contingency forms very soon.
No info in regards to scholarships.

Good luck to everyone!

Welp, at least RGV has finally popped up on my rank list lol.

any OOSers receive the "very favorable" waitlist email?

Alright, well I just received a response. I'd say it's probably the best case scenario, though you all can interpret it as you will. This e-mail response was from Ms. Betty Monfort herself.

I won't quote her exactly, but essentially she said that this is a 'waitlist' for a pre-match offer. She specifically said that those who were offered these waitlist spots may have their status changed to 'pre-match' before December 31st, should a seat become available.

In other words, if your spots favorable enough, you could still receive some good news during the pre-match period. I believe this differs (and is a slight upgrade) from last year's pre-match 'waitlist', which essentially equated to "you're not getting a pre-match, sit tight till match day".

Hope this news offers some comfort to you all! Best wishes, and may Ms. Betty look favorably upon us lol.

AHHHHHH!!! Thank you so much for posting this response.
I received my waitlisted "very favorable" email last week, have been somewhat brokenhearted yet again as I'm waitlisted at another school as well...
I feel like I'm SO CLOSE, yet SO FAR away still...
Here's to remaining positive throughout this crazy process! Good Luck yall!

Hi everyone, to others who have heard absolutely nothing since pre-match started I have some information that you may find helpful though not comforting. I interviewed on September 23rd and just received a email saying my application has not even gone for review until November 30th and would hear something December 1st. Yes all things were submitted there was no lag time on my end for a "complete" application. This may be why a good number of us have heard nothing. When interviewing last year something similar happened because one of my interviewers didn't submit their paperwork from our interview so my review was pushed back as well. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone, to others who have heard absolutely nothing since pre-match started I have some information that you may find helpful though not comforting. I interviewed on September 23rd and just received a email saying my application has not even gone for review until November 30th and would hear something December 1st. Yes all things were submitted there was no lag time on my end for a "complete" application. This may be why a good number of us have heard nothing. When interviewing last year something similar happened because one of my interviewers didn't submit their paperwork from our interview so my review was pushed back as well. Hope this helps.

Wait, so, there are interviewees from two months ago that haven't even been reviewed by the adcom? That's so bizarre. Has anyone else received this email?

In other news, it seems RGV has shown a bit of consistency in responses - which is a positive development. For my initial e-mail checking in exactly what the 'waitlist' was, I had cc'd the 'MDAdmissions' email address as well as Ms. Monfort. I *just* now received a response from MD Admissions with a response that was pretty much in line with the response from Betty. Said we could be pulled off of the waitlist during the pre-match period, and that, if not, we'll learn of our status on match day. They also touched on how much they welcome communication of any other questions/concerns, update letters, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you email them asking or did they just send that to you without you saying anything? I’m debating whether to email or call to see when I’ll hear back regarding my 10/27 interview, just being anxious but trying hard to be patient

Did you email them asking or did they just send that to you without you saying anything? I’m debating whether to email or call to see when I’ll hear back regarding my 10/27 interview, just being anxious but trying hard to be patient
I emailed them and that was the repply. Also, I called and was forwarded to Betty. According to her, I was already ranked weeks ago as in line with my September 23rd interview date. HOWEVER, for some reason or another I am going back for some "confirmation" meeting on November 30th. I do not know what this means or entails. When asking why my friend that interviewed with me on the same day heard back sooner she said "Depending on where you ranked you would hear back sooner or later." In my case this happened to be later. Still who knows what this could possibly mean but she said I would be contacted on December 1st so if my situation sounds similar you may be in the same boat. You could speculate why would you get some "secondary" committee meeting and do they do this for all interviews (Most likely not). Hope this helps and comforts, good luck everyone!

I emailed them and that was the repply. Also, I called and was forwarded to Betty. According to her, I was already ranked weeks ago as in line with my September 23rd interview date. HOWEVER, for some reason or another I am going back for some "confirmation" meeting on November 30th. I do not know what this means or entails. When asking why my friend that interviewed with me on the same day heard back sooner she said "Depending on where you ranked you would hear back sooner or later." In my case this happened to be later. Still who knows what this could possibly mean but she said I would be contacted on December 1st so if my situation sounds similar you may be in the same boat. You could speculate why would you get some "secondary" committee meeting and do they do this for all interviews (Most likely not). Hope this helps and comforts, good luck everyone!
I wonder if there may be an interviewer or two who are common denominators

Last edited:

Ngl, it sounds like you're borderline pre-match and they just need to decide whether or not to follow through based on exactly where you're ranked/how initial pre-match offers went. In other words, you're prolly in between pre-match and waitlist. I'm just speculating, but it'd make sense.

edit: I wanna go ahead and add that i'd suspect this is the case for *in-state* ppl who haven't heard back. For OOS, I kind of doubt there's much structure other than to accept the people that they know for sure they want, and to wait to interview the rest of the OOS interviewees before making a final decision on the rest. Since OOS students don't follow the matching system in the first place, the timetable on when you all could hear back is a lot more open.

Last edited:
Happy thanksgiving to you, guys!!

Reactions: 5 users
Ngl, it sounds like you're borderline pre-match and they just need to decide whether or not to follow through based on exactly where you're ranked/how initial pre-match offers went. In other words, you're prolly in between pre-match and waitlist. I'm just speculating, but it'd make sense.
Thanks for your input, I'll update when it eventually happens so we can have a record here. Hopefully it'll help someone down the line.

It is my belief that pre-matched applicants have 2 weeks to accept. Then the ad-com moves onto the next groups to fill in the spots of those who declined. Is this correct? I interviewed on 11/20 and was told that the next ad-com meeting will be on 11/30.

It is my belief that pre-matched applicants have 2 weeks to accept. Then the ad-com moves onto the next groups to fill in the spots of those who declined. Is this correct? I interviewed on 11/20 and was told that the next ad-com meeting will be on 11/30.
When moving onto the next groups to fill the spots, does anyone know if they look at the Waiting List at that time, or strictly move on to other people interviewed who haven't already been rejected or waitlisted?

When moving onto the next groups to fill the spots, does anyone know if they look at the Waiting List at that time, or strictly move on to other people interviewed who haven't already been rejected or waitlisted?

I would imagine that, with their next meeting, they're going to pretty much just be reviewing and extending acceptance/waitlist offers to those who haven't heard back already. So either people who interviewed a while ago and haven't gotten a decision, or people who interviewed after 11/15.

Technically, I suppose that if they have an open pre-match spot that isn't filled by any of the people who haven't gotten decisions yet, they may move someone off the waitlist. But that seems a little soon. Ms. Betty did say 'waitlist' ppl may be accepted during the prematch period, though.

As my previous posts say, I'm still in the group who has interviewed already (September 23rd) and haven't heard back. I called Betty and she informed me I would get some form of communication tomorrow December 1st 2017. I will update with any info I receive here.

As my previous posts say, I'm still in the group who has interviewed already (September 23rd) and haven't heard back. I called Betty and she informed me I would get some form of communication tomorrow December 1st 2017. I will update with any info I receive here.

Best wishes as you await a decision!!!

Probably a little early to be asking, but is there a FB page for accepted students?

Good luck to everyone waiting and everyone who will hear back tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Prematch around 6:30PM. It went to my spam first. I interviewed 11/11. LM 67. URM.

Reactions: 3 users
were yall on the waitlist?

accepted yesterday. was not on waitlist. this is the first I've heard from them since my interview

probably going to decline and will try to do ASAP to keep it moving... i know how stressful this can be so i hope i can help someone else find out sooner

Reactions: 8 users
Im interviewing tomorrow! From what I know the actual interviewing part is two 30 min interviews. Are those open or closed file?

Im interviewing tomorrow! From what I know the actual interviewing part is two 30 min interviews. Are those open or closed file?

For my interviews, one was open and the other was closed.

accepted yesterday. was not on waitlist. this is the first I've heard from them since my interview

probably going to decline and will try to do ASAP to keep it moving... i know how stressful this can be so i hope i can help someone else find out sooner

You are a wonderful person! Congrats on your acceptances!

Can confirm that it's one open, one closed. Both were very laid back for me, though, and that seems to be the case across the board. Best of luck!!!

I've been documenting the process in my case (and for others in my scenario). Interviewed Late September, have not received any wait list email. Another poster detailed what my situation and others maybe for not hearing anything as of yet such as being between pre-match and waitlist. I called Betty before thanksgiving and she said I should have heard back today. Its 7pm on a Friday and I haven't heard anything and have checked my email religiously to no avail. Since no one else has posted it may just be that they are behind. I will call Monday or Tuesday to clarify and will update here. Everyone stay hopeful!

I've been documenting the process in my case (and for others in my scenario). Interviewed Late September, have not received any wait list email. Another poster detailed what my situation and others maybe for not hearing anything as of yet such as being between pre-match and waitlist. I called Betty before thanksgiving and she said I should have heard back today. Its 7pm on a Friday and I haven't heard anything and have checked my email religiously to no avail. Since no one else has posted it may just be that they are behind. I will call Monday or Tuesday to clarify and will update here. Everyone stay hopeful!

I've got two friends that are in the same boat as you. A September and October interviewer. Bizarre - idk what the hold up is, especially since Betty explicitly told you that you'd hear back by today.

Please do keep us updated :) I’m OOS so I’m not part of the match, I interviewed in October. I was so disappointed to not hear Nov 16th or 17th like we were told and now I’m getting more anxious with time lol

I've got two friends that are in the same boat as you. A September and October interviewer. Bizarre - idk what the hold up is, especially since Betty explicitly told you that you'd hear back by today.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Be sure to share my info with them! It appears everyone is in fact in the same boat which I would interpret as being on the positive rather than negative. Hopefully all us restless folk living in limbo aren't here for much longer.

Please do keep us updated :) I’m OOS so I’m not part of the match, I interviewed in October. I was so disappointed to not hear Nov 16th or 17th like we were told and now I’m getting more anxious with time lol
Of course any updates I acquire I immediately post it here as I know everyone is considering getting anxiety medication at this point.

I am sorry to say this about UTRGV but take every date with a big grain of salt (preferably on the edge of a margarita glass) and add about a week to what they told you.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
I am sorry to say this about UTRGV but take every date with a big grain of salt (preferably on the edge of a margarita glass) and add about a week to what they told you.:rolleyes:
If there is anything I appreciate it's honesty and bluntness thanks for the insider info!

Thanks for the speedy reply. Be sure to share my info with them! It appears everyone is in fact in the same boat which I would interpret as being on the positive rather than negative. Hopefully all us restless folk living in limbo aren't here for much longer.

Ok, correction: One of my friends got in! He interviewed in September. Had previously been in silence, as I said earlier. So, pretty much it seems like the silence squad peeps are most likely sitting in between pre-match and waitlist. Looks like they've sent pre-match offers to a really good chunk of those who hadn't heard anything. The rest of you in this group may just have to wait out until subsequent adcom meetings. Worst case scenario, ya'll may end up waitlisted, but can take an educated guess that you truly are in very favorable position lol.

As for the rest of us, here's to hoping that we also see some movement off of the 'waitlist' later in the pre-match period!

Edit: just wanna note, this would most likely only apply to TX ppl. OOS applicants likely have their own separate rank list. So, ya'll may want to touch base with Betty or someone, and maybe they'll give you an idea as to where they're at when it comes to OOS peeps.

Another edit: My other friend (who interviewed in October), received an email this (Saturday, 12/2) morning that he's been placed on the waitlist. Again, in a "very favorable" spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted for a pre match in a "very favorable spot". I think the worst part was the email said "we are happy to inform you" followed with telling me in on the pre match waitlist. Got my hopes up there for a second :(.

Waitlisted for a pre match in a "very favorable spot". I think the worst part was the email said "we are happy to inform you" followed with telling me in on the pre match waitlist. Got my hopes up there for a second :(.
They sent that today? And keep your hopes up, you’re still in the running!

Yea I got the email this morning at around 10:30.

Yea I got the email this morning at around 10:30.
Keep your head up, I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get another email with “we are happy to inform you” :)