2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has UTRGV popped up on anyone's rank list? I interviewed on their first day and still nothing
Has not shown up on mine yet

Members don't see this ad.

Mine showed up the day after my interview in August

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any suggestions for hotels/accommodations near the school?

Accepted!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congratulations!!!!

Sad cuz it basically means OOS who did not hear back today were probably waitlisted. Oh well. I had high hopes for this one cuz I've been kinda obsessed with this school for over a year but asi es la vida. Good luck TX residents... one more month.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!!!!

Sad cuz it basically means OOS who did not hear back today were probably waitlisted. Oh well. I had high hopes for this one cuz I've been kinda obsessed with this school for over a year but asi es la vida. Good luck TX residents... one more month.

Thank you so much. Really am honored to have been picked as an OOS for this school. I absolutley loved the school and it’s mission.

Hey loves. Just wanted to share some info that was put out during our very long (and awesome) interview day:

- They have made 16 selections so far for the entering class. I assume the rest have been waitlisted. But the waitlist moves quickly, so they say. If you call, they can't tell you anything until after pre-match. And even then, they may just give you a generic answer.
- The next committee meeting will be 10/12. So if you're OOS you MAY hear back as early as next week. Or not.
- They are accepting 50 in state and 5 OOS students this year. They plan to interview around ~450 of the 4500+ applicants (til January).
- There will be scholarships, which may be up to 50% for all students. Scholarships are not merit-based. I.e. if they have $500,000, then divide that by ~50 and that's how much each person gets in scholarship. Pretty sweet.
- OOS students in the past have gotten scholarships to reduce their tuition down to IS rate. They anticipate the same for this class.
- Clerkships are held in either Harlingen (Valley Baptist or the VA) or McAllen (DHR, which you will tour while there)

Ummmm I think that's the important stuff. One thing I noticed: a lot of interviewees were 2nd or 3rd time applicants, so it seems they don't look down on that. Students I talked to seemed to think that MOST of the current students are non-trad (at least 1-2 years since graduation). Everyone there is super nice. But since they're such a small, family-like program, they want to make sure students that matriculate are comfortable in that close-knit, non-competitive environment. Oh, and ASK QUESTIONS. They love questions. Buena suerte!! :)
Did they have any kind of night before interview social?

FYI to other OOS rejects (lol), I called and asked about if we would be notified if waitlisted and they stated "all acceptance and waitlist emails will go out by the end of the day today." Which, based on the fact that an acceptance went out yesterday, I think means just the waitlisted ppl will receive their sad news today. So at least we'll have an answer. :(

Uh, I've never actually posted on sdn before, but I got an II from here today. Just thought I'd let anyone lurking like I was know that there's still hope!

Reactions: 3 users
FYI to other OOS rejects (lol), I called and asked about if we would be notified if waitlisted and they stated "all acceptance and waitlist emails will go out by the end of the day today." Which, based on the fact that an acceptance went out yesterday, I think means just the waitlisted ppl will receive their sad news today. So at least we'll have an answer. :(
Hang in there, @GhostFollower there is a 4th possibility of neither accepted, rejected, nor waitlisted and that is : still in the running. Did you interview here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there, @GhostFollower there is a 4th possibility of neither accepted, rejected, nor waitlisted and that is : still in the running. Did you interview here?
Thanks, I'm holding on to hope for as long as is feasible. Yes I interviewed a few weeks ago.

Thanks, I'm holding on to hope for as long as is feasible. Yes I interviewed a few weeks ago.
Maybe you interviewed too recently to hear back? I.e., maybe they haven't even voted on you yet. I feel like, if you interviewed in October, it is totally possible that they haven't gotten to your app for review yet, even if they've had a committee meting. I'm just remembering seeing ppl that interviewed late October last year not hearing back about acceptance/waitlist until December.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you interviewed too recently to hear back? I.e., maybe they haven't even voted on you yet. I feel like, if you interviewed in October, it is totally possible that they haven't gotten to your app for review yet, even if they've had a committee meting. I'm just remembering seeing ppl that interviewed late October last year not hearing back about acceptance/waitlist until December.
Thanks for all the pep talks, loves. I appreciate it. I have other schools I'm considering, but this was definitely at the top of my list because of the small class size, community focus, study time for Step 1, and the area/population it serves (and not having to cut open cadavers for anatomy lab isn't a bad thing in my book either lol). I'm still holding on to hope. <3 Y'all are the best.

Has UTRGV popped up on anyone's rank list? I interviewed on their first day and still nothing
I interviewed the first day as well, and still have not gotten a rank list .

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! This is my Alma Mater!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! Does anyone know how receptive they are to post-interview updates? Not necessarily a LOI, just an email touching on stuff I've done recently that wasn't on my app. I'd assume they're cool with it, but not sure.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how receptive they are to post-interview updates? Not necessarily a LOI, just an email touching on stuff I've done recently that wasn't on my app. I'd assume they're cool with it, but not sure.

I'm just gonna answer my own question here in case anyone was wondering as well. Called the office yesterday - they're definitely down with update letters. You just email it to the MDadmissions address and they attach it to your file to consider at the following adcom meeting.

Also asked about them not being on the ranking tab on the TMDSAS app portal. They said that, for TX rezzies, they'll be popping up there on pre-match day. OOS who have already interviewed should be able to see it already, though.

I'm just gonna answer my own question here in case anyone was wondering as well. Called the office yesterday - they're definitely down with update letters. You just email it to the MDadmissions address and they attach it to your file to consider at the following adcom meeting.

Also asked about them not being on the ranking tab on the TMDSAS app portal. They said that, for TX rezzies, they'll be popping up there on pre-match day. OOS who have already interviewed should be able to see it already, though.

Just to piggy back. I sent them an email with some updates and they got back to me on the same day telling me that they were adding it to my file. Definitely very receptive.

I already have it on my TMDSAS tho so they may have gotten lazy with updating it... Thanks for getting back to the rest of us

I already have it on my TMDSAS tho so they may have gotten lazy with updating it... Thanks for getting back to the rest of us

say whuuuuuu? When did you interview? I interviewed the first date and it still hasn't popped up. When I called, I wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally withdrawn or anything lol, and they said my app is still there.

say whuuuuuu? When did you interview? I interviewed the first date and it still hasn't popped up. When I called, I wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally withdrawn or anything lol, and they said my app is still there.

As far as I am aware
, ONLY TX in-state applicants will have the school show up on the school rank preference page. If you are in-state, have interviewed, and it still does not show up, email admissions and let them know.

If you are an out-of-state, I don't think you will have a TMDSAS' ranking page. If an OOS applicant can verify that they have or don't have the "School Rank Preference," listed below, it will clear up any confusion.

upload_2017-10-26_13-40-17.jpeg

As far as I am aware, ONLY TX in-state applicants will have the school show up on the school rank preference page. If you are in-state, have interviewed, and it still does not show up, email admissions and let them know.

If you are an out-of-state, I don't think you will have a TMDSAS' ranking page. If an OOS applicant can verify that they have or don't have the "School Rank Preference," listed below, it will clear up any confusion.

View attachment 224780

That's the thing. I'm in-state, and I spoke with them about this on the phone yesterday. The person I talked to explicitly said that in-state applicants will not see UTRGV on the rank preference tab until after the pre-match date. I thought that maybe she was confused with the offer tab, but she clarified and said that she was indeed talking about the rankings page. I have seen almost all other in-state applicants say that they too don't see UTRGV on their application post-interview. I also know someone who has only interviewed with UTRGV, and who doesn't see that tab at all. I'm not 100% sure what the case is for OOS applicants, but the person said they should actually already see UTRGV on the tab if they've already interviewed from OOS.

edit: lol, I called yesterday to get clarification, and now since posting their response on here I've only gotten more confused than before.

That's the thing. I'm in-state, and I spoke with them about this on the phone yesterday. The person I talked to explicitly said that in-state applicants will not see UTRGV on the rank preference tab until after the pre-match date. I thought that maybe she was confused with the offer tab, but she clarified and said that she was indeed talking about the rankings page. I have seen almost all other in-state applicants say that they too don't see UTRGV on their application post-interview. I also know someone who has only interviewed with UTRGV, and who doesn't see that tab at all. I'm not 100% sure what the case is for OOS applicants, but the person said they should actually already see UTRGV on the tab if they've already interviewed from OOS.
edit: lol, I called yesterday to get clarification, and now since posting their response on here I've only gotten more confused than before.

That's weird. Since it shows up on Ortho's, he is probably not too far off in assuming that they have not updated TMDSAS or you spoke to someone who is confused with the rank page and the pre-match offer page on TMDSAS.

As far as I am aware, ONLY TX in-state applicants will have the school show up on the school rank preference page. If you are in-state, have interviewed, and it still does not show up, email admissions and let them know.

View attachment 224780
No rank preference for OOS since we don't participate in the match. I interviewed at more than one TX school as OOS and have no tab there at all.

That's weird. Since it shows up on Ortho's, he is probably not too far off in assuming that they have not updated TMDSAS or you spoke to someone who is confused with the rank page and the pre-match offer page on TMDSAS.

Lol. I might have made a mistake and confused UTRGV and another school. I've not even interviewed there yet.. sorry for throwing a wrench into the thread

Lol. I might have made a mistake and confused UTRGV and another school. I've not even interviewed there yet.. sorry for throwing a wrench into the thread
Thank you for correcting your post. Best of luck at the schools you did interview at!

haha tbh I had a feeling this could be the case. thanks for clarifying!

I recieved no tab at all. Even prior to acceptance. I believe ranking is only for TX applicants.

Did anyone who sent a thank you letter after their interview get an email back? Just curious because I added some updates and such

FYI: My friend, who interviewed Friday, said they will be *calling* 30-40 people with pre-match offers on November 16 (so, a day late relative to the official pre-match date). Not sure if anyone else who was there can confirm that this was what was communicated.

Edit: Also, they're looking at matriculating a class size of 54.

Last edited:
Yup I can confirm the same thing! She told our interview cohort that we would find out our decision on Nov 16th, and the admissions committee would meet exactly 1 week after our interview date! She also said that very few people will receive rejections (last year they "only rejected 4 people total"). Most people will either get an acceptance or waitlist. Her implication was not to worry if we get waitlisted because it does move quite a bit.

Also, they have had a significant increase in applications from last year. They plan on interviewing ~350 people for a class of 50-55 ish. Another thing they noted was that although they can't guarantee any scholarships for the incoming class, they are trying their best to get tuition reduced.

I'm interviewing November 10. There is no chance I would hear back as soon as November 16, right?

I'm interviewing November 10. There is no chance I would hear back as soon as November 16, right?

They'll let you know at your interview date. Not likely, but maybe they'll have an adcom meeting between your date and the 16th.

If I remember Mrs. Monfort correctly, when I interviewed 10/27, she said the adcom was next meeting 11/11

If I remember Mrs. Monfort correctly, when I interviewed 10/27, she said the adcom was next meeting 11/11
I wonder if they will only discuss your interview cohort or every group that has interviewed up to that date.

I wonder if they will only discuss your interview cohort or every group that has interviewed up to that date.
That would be a crazy turn around. But regardless it’ll be worth the wait :) it’s an amazing school and the interview day was fantastic

Finally made an account but I received an II back in October! Will be interviewing here on Dec 4th, this is my alma matter

I will be staying in the valley the night of the interview as well because it's a lot cheaper to fly out the next day for some reason. It's still saving me money even accounting for extra night of hotel costs. If anyone else is staying the night of nov 13 pm me so we can hangout! What are some reccomendations for things to do in the area?

I will be staying in the valley the night of the interview as well because it's a lot cheaper to fly out the next day for some reason. It's still saving me money even accounting for extra night of hotel costs. If anyone else is staying the night of nov 13 pm me so we can hangout! What are some reccomendations for things to do in the area?

Hey! I'm actually a Valley native! I recommend Khans Grill, Taco Palenque, Taqueria Mary, Costa Mesa (amazing margs/food), 17th street is where the "nightlife" is, but I try to avoid most bars there.

I'd check out the convention center, they just opened a few attractions there as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I'm actually a Valley native! I recommend Khans Grill, Taco Palenque, Taqueria Mary, Costa Mesa (amazing margs/food), 17th street is where the "nightlife" is, but I try to avoid most bars there.

I'd check out the convention center, they just opened a few attractions there as well!
I second Khan’s Grill, I went twice while there it was so good