2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The interview day itself was very long, but both the interviews were very friendly and conversational. All of the faculty and medical students were very cordial and I truly felt that they were a family. The facilities were brand new and their curriculum was impressive. Also their whole notion of community-based medicine and serving the underserved in the valley is truly a special thing IMO. You get clinical exposure working in Colonias your MS1. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that their clinical partnerships were strong all over the valley and the medical school is actually newer than the residencies rather than the other way around. They're doing a lot for a baby medical school and I fell in love

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview day itself was very long, but both the interviews were very friendly and conversational. All of the faculty and medical students were very cordial and I truly felt that they were a family. The facilities were brand new and their curriculum was impressive. Also their whole notion of community-based medicine and serving the underserved in the valley is truly a special thing IMO. You get clinical exposure working in Colonias your MS1. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that their clinical partnerships were strong all over the valley and the medical school is actually newer than the residencies rather than the other way around. They're doing a lot for a baby medical school and I fell in love
Thank you!! I heard much of the same from someone else who interviewed same day. I'm super excited about this school. As a super non-trad, the family feel and community service element is huge.

Got my II today! First II and my first cycle. IS URM LizzyM ~65 SMP grad, been freaking out since I submitted all my TMDSAS secondaries by 8/21 and hadn't heard anything back yet.
Timeline:
Primary Submitted: 6/26
Secondary received: 7/21
Secondary Complete: 8/21
Interview Invitation: 9/13
Interview Scheduled for: 10/2

If anyone else is interviewing that day hit me up. I'll be driving down from DFW, I can maybe grab someone from the airport and would be willing to split a hotel room.
Can any current students speak to how the schools overall feel is as its a fairly new program. Also when will they receive full accreditation? Very interested in the school because of its focus on health disparities and dealing with minority populations.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my secondary app to UTRGV about two weeks ago. I haven't heard back from them about a II :(. Anyone have to wait this long after submitting a secondary app?

I submitted my secondary app to UTRGV about two weeks ago. I haven't heard back from them about a II :(. Anyone have to wait this long after submitting a secondary app?

I was complete August 10 at UTRGV. So over a month ago. And still silence for me as well :/ ORM, LIZZM 72-74.

I was complete August 10 at UTRGV. So over a month ago. And still silence for me as well :/ ORM, LIZZM 72-74.

It seems as if some people received and II a couple of days or even a week after submitting secondaries. Makes me anxious haha :(

It seems as if some people received and II a couple of days or even a week after submitting secondaries. Makes me anxious haha :(

Yeah tbh I am really interested in border health and am bilingual in Spanish so I thought I was a good fit for the school and the area. However, it has been quite some time and they've already started filling November interviews. It's hard for me to hold out hope for this one but we all just gotta stay strong and hope for the best. Adcoms have their ways that we will never know, and we just gotta pray they bless us with good news. Other than that there's nothing we can do! Hang tight my friend.

Yeah tbh I am really interested in border health and am bilingual in Spanish so I thought I was a good fit for the school and the area. However, it has been quite some time and they've already started filling November interviews. It's hard for me to hold out hope for this one but we all just gotta stay strong and hope for the best. Adcoms have their ways that we will never know, and we just gotta pray they bless us with good news. Other than that there's nothing we can do! Hang tight my friend.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing the wait. It could be that the people getting an II submitted their secondary much earlier? It does state that they have interview dates all the way up to Jan. If I'm not mistaken I believe that they only pick a couple hundred people to send secondary invites to. I'm guessing around 300-350 and they maybe interview about 200-250? Who knows?

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing the wait. It could be that the people getting an II submitted their secondary much earlier? It does state that they have interview dates all the way up to Jan. If I'm not mistaken I believe that they only pick a couple hundred people to send secondary invites to. I'm guessing around 300-350 and they maybe interview about 200-250? Who knows?

Oh wow! I didn't know their secondary was so selective!? I had no idea how many people got their secondary. I did know they screen but didn't know how much they really screen. I got my secondary very quickly, like the very next day my app transmitted so I thought there must be a computer auto screen for stats. Idk how they really screen or if it's not an auto screen if someone looked over my app in one day to send it manually.

I'm not sure either. I heard that they do screen. I'm not too sure how intense the initial screen is. But it makes sense that there would be an auto selection system for people who have certain stats? On the TMDSAS website it said that we will be notified if we were selected to receive a secondary app. I think it's even stated on their website. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It took over two months for me to get my II, so no need to fret after waiting two weeks

I'm sick of hearing these words as well but, be patient. My II's have not remotely come in the order I submitted the secondaries. For example, I was complete at one school mid July and received an interview yesterday but I was complete at another school mid august and received the invite the last week of august. Schools go through their own processes and it is still only mid-september.

I wouldn't worry to much about when you submitted your secondary and how many interview days are left. It took me over a month to hear back about an II and I picked the 10/13 interview date, which was the earliest available they had at the time. I saw someone on here who recently picked an earlier date. So they will open as people shuffle around! Stay the course, it's all good!

I doubt they only send 350 secondaries. It doesn't seem like the screen is too tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

+1 URM average stats .. complete mid august.

Woah! Congrats! Now you've received love from literally every texas school lol. must feel really great!

What dates are available?
Haha thank you very much! And only date in October was the 13th, but there were a couple in November!

Just received II and scheduled for November 13th!! I literally screamed when I got the email. I am incredibly excited!!!!! I absolutely love this school and its mission. I can't believe this! My file was complete August 10th. LM 72-74.

They had November 13 and 17 available and I choose 13. If anyone is going that day and wants to share a hotel with me, please PM me. If anyone is driving from the Dallas area, please PM me as well so we can maybe carpool.

Reactions: 15 users
Just received II and scheduled for November 13th!! I literally screamed when I got the email. I am incredibly excited!!!!! I absolutely love this school and its mission. I can't believe this! My file was complete August 10th. LM 72-74.

They had November 13 and 17 available and I choose 13. If anyone is going that day and wants to share a hotel with me, please PM me. If anyone is driving from the Dallas area, please PM me as well so we can maybe carpool.

Congrats! Hoping to hear from them soon. I was complete around August 15.

CONGRATS!!! This is the one MD school that I think might give me a chance. Im deeply committed to their mission as well.

Reactions: 2 users

You've literally congratulated every single person who got an II in this thread for two months.Now its your turn! Happy you were able to get one as well! Congrats!

Reactions: 5 users

u go girl =)

You've literally congratulated every single person who got an II in this thread for two months.Now its your turn! Happy you were able to get one as well! Congrats!

Awe thank you so much for your kind words :) :):love::highfive:

Amazing positivity, definitely need this type of attitude under such stressful circumstances. CONGRATS!!!

Received an II today as well, complete late July!

that is a long drive, @biochemgirl22 o_O. Not the longest across Texas, but 8+ hours I would guess

Grats. I have an II scheduled that day too. See you there!

Dude I'm so excited for you!! I swear I get more excited when I see your IIs than my own haha. Can't wait to see how this all pans out for you. Congratulations, TMDSAS resident cheerleader!!!! =) =) =)

Reactions: 3 users
Dude I'm so excited for you!! I swear I get more excited when I see your IIs than my own haha. Can't wait to see how this all pans out for you. Congratulations, TMDSAS resident cheerleader!!!! =) =) =)

Awe:love:Reading your post made my day and I couldn't stop smiling.....can't believe the incredible amount of support you guys give me. we are all each other's rock in this is process. Thank you so much for your well wishes and I wish the best for you as well!!:highfive:Can't wait to see where we all end up and where we will interview!!!

Reactions: 3 users
that is a long drive, @biochemgirl22 o_O. Not the longest across Texas, but 8+ hours I would guess
Yeah I think I might be too overly ambitious with my driving stamina. I think I may look into flying...it would be 8.5 hours for me so you're right on the dot!

Awe:love:Reading your post made my day and I couldn't stop smiling.....can't believe the incredible amount of support you guys give me. we are all each other's rock in this is process. Thank you so much for your well wishes and I wish the best for you as well!!:highfive:Can't wait to see where we all end up and where we will interview!!!

That’s awesome that you got yours! I was complete on the 21st of August. Hopefully mine comes in a little later than yours! Keeping my fingers crossed!:D

That’s awesome that you got yours! I was complete on the 21st of August. Hopefully mine comes in a little later than yours! Keeping my fingers crossed!:D

Yes it looks like they are making their way through August! You'll get it soon!

Is it too late to submit a secondary here?

ORM male 512 4.0