2020-2021 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not hearing any news from any ED applicants, I searched the UTRGV site today and see that they have silently and retroactively changed the text on their page about ED applications.

Now it says:
  • Applications via TMDSAS start on May 1, 2020, for the Class of 2025, entering July 2021.
  • Students applying to this program are restricted to UTRGV SOM only – no other application may be made until UTRGV releases the student. Admissions decisions are binding.
  • Process and review of credentials will begin immediately by a special admissions sub-committee, upon receipt of application – August and September.
  • The Admissions Early Decision Sub-committee (EDSC) will review and conduct interviews in September.
  • If accepted, the offer may be made with or without contingencies, at the discretion of the admissions committee. The acceptance offer is a binding contract.
  • If a student is not accepted, he or she is then released to the general application pool, on or before October 15th. The applicant is then able to apply to other medical schools before the end of the admissions cycle.
Well heck, the admissions cycle ends on October 30; so lame, UTRGV. I had high hopes for you when you made your ED decisions by the end of July last year.

Any idea on when they'll begin interviewing regular decision applicants? I guess there's no chance for anyone to prematch in October at least...

Members don't see this ad.

I received my acceptance less than 5 minutes ago via email. I’ve been admitted for early decision. This is insane!
Good to hear!
I just confirmed with TMDSAS that the ED notification deadline is indeed October 1, and that UTRGV is in the process of releasing their decisions to TMDSAS and to the ED applicants today. And that the October 15 date on UTRGV's page "was an error".

Any of you ED applicants who are being "released" (not accepted), please note that the TMDSAS portal is going to be offline for a short time tonight for maintenance, so if you were planning to go on the portal today to submit your app to the other TMDSAS schools, avoid this time period and save your work before then.

"The TMDSAS Application will be down at 6:00pm CT for 5-10 minutes on Thursday 10/1. All users should save their work and wait to make any changes to their application until the portal update has been completed. Users may experience payment issues until this time."

Reactions: 2 users
I got my EDP acceptance email today as well!! Can't wait for this upcoming year :) Good luck to everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my EDP acceptance email today as well!! Can't wait for this upcoming year :) Good luck to everyone!!
@littlemarley and @D.Watson, did they let you ED applicants know how many were accepted ED or do you have any idea how many they interviewed? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks and congrats!

Their EDP "rejection" email didn't say how many were accepted either.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Any idea on when they'll begin interviewing regular decision applicants? I guess there's no chance for anyone to prematch in October at least...
Hmmm, I wonder this as well! Has any regular decision applicant received an II since the EDP applicants got their acceptance?

Hmmm, I wonder this as well! Has any regular decision applicant received an II since the EDP applicants got their acceptance?
i currently attend undergrad here. i haven’t heard anything, and i haven’t even gotten a view on my video :(

• Sad
My video is 02:04 min long. Are they super stringent on the 02:00 min to be exact?

Not sure if anyone might be worried about this...

My video is 02:04 min long. Are they super stringent on the 02:00 min to be exact?

Not sure if anyone might be worried about this...
From last year’s thread, people still got II with videos over 2 min, so you are okay

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a collection of videos over the last few years. Some are over 2 minutes, some are not and I've interviewed in the past. I had one view on my video this cycle as an EDP (reject)and haven't had any views since early September. I did receive an email saying that my app would now be part of the general pool but that's about it. As per their timeline, it states "medical schools begin extending offers of acceptance" but UTRGV may start doing this later. In the past, pre-match offers were made in December just before the holiday break.

I have a collection of videos over the last few years. Some are over 2 minutes, some are not and I've interviewed in the past. I had one view on my video this cycle as an EDP (reject)and haven't had any views since early September. I did receive an email saying that my app would now be part of the general pool but that's about it. As per their timeline, it states "medical schools begin extending offers of acceptance" but UTRGV may start doing this later. In the past, pre-match offers were made in December just before the holiday break.
Thanks for the update

Just got an II this afternoon! 3.9+ , 512.

Reactions: 7 users
Can I ask for when you are interviewing or what days you got to choose from?
The dates that I got to choose from were all of next week (Oct 12-16?). I can't remember if all the week days were included, but it was just next week.

Reactions: 3 users
The dates that I got to choose from were all of next week (Oct 12-16?). I can't remember if all the week days were included, but it was just next week.
Thank you! I received an II yesterday and there was only one day available and that was for Tuesday.

II rn! Complete 8/28, LM 67 :) They are interviewing the week of the 19-23!

Reactions: 4 users
II at 4:30pm! Complete 9/11. LizzyM 65 is/urm! Scheduled my interview for next week which I wasn't expecting to be that quick haha

Reactions: 3 users
For those who are interviewing next week, did the school say there would be events other than just the interviews? I have not receive any information on that and its not in my portal either.

For those who are interviewing next week, did the school say there would be events other than just the interviews? I have not receive any information on that and its not in my portal either.
nope, i’m hoping for more info during the week

Hi guys, anyone whose video still has no views? :(

Hi guys, anyone whose video still has no views? :(
lol ME. But I heard people getting Invited to interviews w/o any views, soo.... idk how that works. Maybe YouTube doesn't capture when they view the video with the program they use to look at our secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
ii! complete mid-july

II today! LM 64, URM, IS with service-oriented EC's. Video was posted "unlisted" per directions, had zero views before receiving invite. Secondary complete end of August.

Last edited:
As of 10/20, there were no open interview slots. I sent an email and they responded they will be adding more slots this week.

do y'all have your interview times set up yet on the website?

II! LM 67/URM/IS. Complete 8/26.

Edit: The scheduling interface only gave me the option of next Monday 10/26 as an interview date.

Interviewing tomorrow and still haven't received an interview day schedule. I only have my interview times available in the portal with no information about other events (other schools have had general meetings, Q&As, curriculum info). Have I missed something or is the interview day just our 2 interviews? Thanks in advance!

Interviewing tomorrow and still haven't received an interview day schedule. I only have my interview times available in the portal with no information about other events (other schools have had general meetings, Q&As, curriculum info). Have I missed something or is the interview day just our 2 interviews? Thanks in advance!
I heard from someone who interviewed on Monday that they only have the two interviews. There is no other programming.

I interviewed for EDP and my situation was identical the day before. In my case the interview times were exactly as stated in the portal where you submitted the secondary. Each interview was 30 minutes. One interviewer had looked over my application and the other was only supposed to know my name (blind interview). My anxiety was high the night before but the interviews were very low pressure. Looking back there was nothing I could have done to prepare. My impression is they just want to know who you are at this point. I didn’t mention my stats at all and they didn’t ask me either. I hope I’ve been helpful.

Reactions: 9 users