2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
secondary submitted on 6/25, primary submitted a month before that

edit: primary submitted with LORs and MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
No specific ties to the area beyond being IS applicant, nor am I fluent in Spanish.
Well good for you. Quite the turnaround for you too. I was complete 6/18, so I hope I hear something. Did you receive an email?

Well good for you. Quite the turnaround for you too. I was complete 6/18, so I hope I hear something. Did you receive an email?
Thanks, it was a pleasant surprise this morning. Did not expect to hear back so soon.
I did receive the invite via e-mail. Hope you hear something soon as well!

Thanks, it was a pleasant surprise this morning. Did not expect to hear back so soon.
I did receive the invite via e-mail. Hope you hear something soon as well!
Thank you! The waiting game is on.

II at 11 am. IS LM 73. Excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last year there were 2 formal interviews and a “secret test”; hopefully the following information will be of some help.

First, my advice is to come as a single; this is not the “White Coat Ceremony”. When you arrive, try to make an effort to meet as many people as you can. Practice a couple of conversation starters. Nothing rude or offensive, the safest thing to say is “Hello”. Try not to talk about yourself; keep the other person talking. If you see someone standing off to the side with their parents, your job is to walk over and introduce yourself; if you want to make the parent’s smile, just say “you must be so proud”. Talk to all the singles, and singles with parents/spouse/dates first, because it will be easy and can be done quickly. Next, go to the women who have circled into a pack. Introduce yourself to the group of women by saying “Hi, my name is”. Less than half of the woman will tell you their name; do not ask for their name again. You should approach the groups of men last.

A physician must have the ability to meet people quickly, bond and build trust.

When they assign you to your group, you can relax and be yourself because you should have already met most of them.

Last year they provided a t-shirt and requested that you bring a change of clothes and complete a group assignment. You should take this seriously. A change of clothes does not mean putting the t-shirt on over your suit. The group assignment is a test. If you have the personality to pull it off, I would suggest before the test starts, when you see the evaluators come in with their clipboards, you tell your group one joke. You can safely tell any joke about Lawyers. Demonstrate your ability to get along with others.

Most Texas schools will give you the opportunity to complete a Spanish immersion course before match. This might be something for you discuss during your interview.

Congratulations and Good Luck

Reactions: 1 user
Last year there were 2 formal interviews and a “secret test”; hopefully the following information will be of some help.

First, my advice is to come as a single; this is not the “White Coat Ceremony”. When you arrive, try to make an effort to meet as many people as you can. Practice a couple of conversation starters. Nothing rude or offensive, the safest thing to say is “Hello”. Try not to talk about yourself; keep the other person talking. If you see someone standing off to the side with their parents, your job is to walk over and introduce yourself; if you want to make the parent’s smile, just say “you must be so proud”. Talk to all the singles, and singles with parents/spouse/dates first, because it will be easy and can be done quickly. Next, go to the women who have circled into a pack. Introduce yourself to the group of women by saying “Hi, my name is”. Less than half of the woman will tell you their name; do not ask for their name again. You should approach the groups of men last.

A physician must have the ability to meet people quickly, bond and build trust.

When they assign you to your group, you can relax and be yourself because you should have already met most of them.

Last year they provided a t-shirt and requested that you bring a change of clothes and complete a group assignment. You should take this seriously. A change of clothes does not mean putting the t-shirt on over your suit. The group assignment is a test. If you have the personality to pull it off, I would suggest before the test starts, when you see the evaluators come in with their clipboards, you tell your group one joke. You can safely tell any joke about Lawyers. Demonstrate your ability to get along with others.

Most Texas schools will give you the opportunity to complete a Spanish immersion course before match. This might be something for you discuss during your interview.

Congratulations and Good Luck

Wow thanks for the heads up. Thats some great information!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should use strategies similar to a rush at BYU. Do not drink any alcohol before or during the interview day. If they have a mixer, drink, but drink seltzer water. If wine is offered at lunch drink tea.

You should prepare an index card with each step listed and what you are going to say. When you panic, and you will, use a lifeline and go to the bathroom and read the index card, try to do this only one time.

Do not take your phone to the interview. However, you cannot rely on sheer willpower to keep you from nervously checking your phone during the day. Therefore, take a small cardboard box and 3 rolls of duck tape, put you phone in the box and tape the box horizontally, vertically and horizontal. Leave the taped up phone in your luggage or car.

During your interview, do not talk about your qualifications, if your there, your qualified. You should do your best to have a conversation where you spend at least half of your interview time listening. At the end of the interview, be sure and get the interviewers name and email to send a thank note sometime that evening. (Prepare your thank you note before the interview, on your index card write yourself a note to get the interviewers name and email, you will forget to do this)

Finally, follow these steps to get immediate feedback on how you did.

First go the schools website and memorize the names and faces of the Doctors and the admissions staff. If possible, have your family help you learn the names and faces.

When Interview day ends do not be in a hurry to leave, take 15 to 20 minutes, after the official end of interview day, to say goodbye and thank the Doctors and staff (especially the staff by name) .

Then you should leave the building.

Wait at least one hour and the return to the school, preferably with your mother. (As previously posted, go to the official interview day as a single.) You should be in the building around 6 :30 to 7 at night.

Give your mom a tour of the school and when you see someone you know, and you will, say the following:

Dr X I wanted to give my mom a tour of the school before we headed home, I hope that’s okay.

You will get one of the following responses.

1. That’s great, but you can tell they have no clue who you are.

2. They know who you are, and there is quick polite conversation with you and your mom.

3. You are invited to sit down in his office.

If #3 happens, they want you, and will hard sell the school. You are the kind of person they want to be around for the next 4 years, someone who can stand on their own feet but are courteous and respectful of their parents. After 10-15 minutes be sure to say “this is my first choice school, and if accepted I will attend.”

Be sure and post back how the interview goes, this year may not be like last year.

You should use strategies similar to a rush at BYU. Do not drink any alcohol before or during the interview day. If they have a mixer, drink, but drink seltzer water. If wine is offered at lunch drink tea.

You should prepare an index card with each step listed and what you are going to say. When you panic, and you will, use a lifeline and go to the bathroom and read the index card, try to do this only one time.

Do not take your phone to the interview. However, you cannot rely on sheer willpower to keep you from nervously checking your phone during the day. Therefore, take a small cardboard box and 3 rolls of duck tape, put you phone in the box and tape the box horizontally, vertically and horizontal. Leave the taped up phone in your luggage or car.

During your interview, do not talk about your qualifications, if your there, your qualified. You should do your best to have a conversation where you spend at least half of your interview time listening. At the end of the interview, be sure and get the interviewers name and email to send a thank note sometime that evening. (Prepare your thank you note before the interview, on your index card write yourself a note to get the interviewers name and email, you will forget to do this)

First go the schools website and memorize the names and faces of the Doctors and the admissions staff. If possible, have your family help you learn the names and faces.

When Interview day ends do not be in a hurry to leave, take 15 to 20 minutes, after the official end of interview day, to say goodbye and thank the Doctors and staff (especially the staff by name) .

Wait at least one hour and the return to the school, preferably with your mother. (As previously posted, go to the official interview day as a single.) You should be in the building around 6 :30 to 7 at night.

Give your mom a tour of the school and when you see someone you know, and you will, say the following:

Dr X I wanted to give my mom a tour of the school before we headed home, I hope that’s okay.

2. They know who you are, and there is quick polite conversation with you and your mom.

If #3 happens, they want you, and will hard sell the school. You are the kind of person they want to be around for the next 4 years, someone who can stand on their own feet but are courteous and respectful of their parents. After 10-15 minutes be sure to say “this is my first choice school, and if accepted I will attend.”

Be sure and post back how the interview goes, this year may not be like last year.
Lol

Haha that would be a dream come true scenario. Very nicely laid out, and you have some really good tips!

Haha that would be a dream come true scenario. Very nicely laid out, and you have some really good tips!
I really couldn't tell if it is a prose in sarcasm or actual advice or a daydream. The best thing to do is keep the stress level down. Good luck to anyone trying to orchestrate the "Perfect" interview day.

Yes they want people to help the RGV community, that's a big deal for them. Another big thing is they'll be doing problem based learning instead of lecture style. Your first interview is open book where the interviewer has your stuff and the second one is blind I.e. The interviewer knows nothing about you. And I got the info yesterday from an admissions dean that Dr. Fernandez was calling the first people accepted himself

I didn't find much in last year's thread. Good luck to y'all!

II about 20 minutes ago (6:30 pm).

II about 20 minutes ago (6:30 pm).

Would you mind sharing your stats? :) Should get my MCAT score tmmrw and then hopefully get some II love.

Would you mind sharing your stats? :) Should get my MCAT score tmmrw and then hopefully get some II love.

Good for you! Any connections to the area? And would you mind me asking if you are a URM? Congrats!

I posted my stats and ECs on the GW thread. GPA is nothing impressive (not remotely) but my ECs are.

Yes URM but it didn't help me last time I applied the new MCAT (512) surely helped.

I posted my stats and ECs on the GW thread. GPA is nothing impressive (not remotely) but my ECs are.

Yes URM but it didn't help me last time I applied the new MCAT (512) surely helped.

Good for you! I hope you get in this time! And I did think I recognize your profile pic! Two IIs is not too bad!! Hopefully you get in this time around! Praying for you.

Good for you! I hope you get in this time! And I did think I recognize your profile pic! Two IIs is not too bad!! Hopefully you get in this time around! Praying for you.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I pray your cycle goes very well.

Two is definitely not bad. Hopefully I can add on a few more. It's so early.

Friend received II here yesterday. LizzyM around 67. He didn't complete the secondary either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend received II here yesterday. LizzyM around 67. He didn't complete the secondary either.

I hate asking this, because I don't want to seem rude, but was your friend URM? The only reason I'm asking is that I have a sub 70 LizzyM and I would get my hopes up when people got a II with sub70 and they were URM. Nothing wrong with that, but i'm not.

I hate asking this, because I don't want to seem rude, but was your friend URM? The only reason I'm asking is that I have a sub 70 LizzyM and I would get my hopes up when people got a II with sub70 and they were URM. Nothing wrong with that, but i'm not.

He's Spanish and had interviewed there last year. So I guess they sent him an invite automatically. And plenty of people get interviews sub 70 that aren't URM. Just gotta make sure the rest of your app is balanced imo.

Do yall think they will be interviewing more than 220 people this year?

The website says they interview about 250 per year. Obviously there has only been one year, but this seems to indicate that it'll be within that range until the class size is increased.

Hey guys, so I received a secondary, and while in the email it says "we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected to receive a secondary" is it sent out to everyone? Thanks and good luck guys:)

The website says they interview about 250 per year. Obviously there has only been one year, but this seems to indicate that it'll be within that range until the class size is increased.
is accepting 50 from 250 a normal ratio for medical schools? i thought once you got a interview you had a 50% chance more or less

is accepting 50 from 250 a normal ratio for medical schools? i thought once you got a interview you had a 50% chance more or less

They don't accept 50. 50 matriculate.

Big difference, at least that should be everyone's hope if they want to consider an interview a 'good shot'.

Hey guys, so I received a secondary, and while in the email it says "we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected to receive a secondary" is it sent out to everyone? Thanks and good luck guys:)
Really no way to answer this question because last year ( the first application year for UTRGV) there was not a secondary application. I woul guess they will not invite everyone to complete a secondary. Take the questions one by one and give thoughtful answers.

Really no way to answer this question because last year ( the first application year for UTRGV) there was not a secondary application. I woul guess they will not invite everyone to complete a secondary. Take the questions one by one and give thoughtful answers.

I spoke to the admissions office and they don't give secondaries to everyone! The screening may not be as rigorous as Dell (or it may be..honestly I have no idea. I'm just guessing) but they definitely do more than a minimum MCAT/GPA screen!

Not sure about the rigor of the screen though

I spoke to the admissions office and they don't give secondaries to everyone! The screening may not be as rigorous as Dell (or it may be..honestly I have no idea. I'm just guessing) but they definitely do more than a minimum MCAT/GPA screen!

Ahhh that's super exciting!!! I sent my app back in June, but my MCAT score just was sent yesterday so this is my first "invitation based secondary". I was worried bc I have a 3.4 sgpa, and no ties to the valley so I wasn't sure if it was a mistake. Do you know how stringent Dell screens?

Ahhh that's super exciting!!! I sent my app back in June, but my MCAT score just was sent yesterday so this is my first "invitation based secondary". I was worried bc I have a 3.4 sgpa, and no ties to the valley so I wasn't sure if it was a mistake. Do you know how stringent Dell screens?
Dell doesn't send out many secondaries, I believe. If you get one, then that's a really good, sign in my opinion.

I don't think Dell has just a stat screen either because mine aren't a 4.0/39 MCAT or something but I still got one about a week ago. I know people with lower and higher stats than me that got one.
Last year, out of 4528 applicants, only 1127 got secondaries so that's ~25% of the applicants got a secondary.
http://dailytexanonline.com/2015/11...d-of-students-using-unprecedented-application

This article has a breakdown. The number of people they give secondaries to may change this year but I doubt it would change drastically.

As long as you have good EC's, passion and decent stats overall, you should be fine especially for Texas schools because of the huge in state advantage. I'm trying to remain somewhat optimistic throughout this whole process mostly for my sanity.

Dell must not have a stat screen because i had an mcat in 90th percentile and i have gotten no secondary and its been almost a month

I know this is not a WAMC forum- but besides UTSW and Baylor, what schools will pretty much screen me out for my 3.4 sgpa? I know UTMB seems to toss apps under like 3.7, and take lower MCAT scores.

Last edited:
II! In state, LizzyM 68. Secondary submitted 3 weeks ago

Last edited:
II yesterday! In state, 513 MCAT ~3.5 GPA, ORM. Secondary submitted 3 weeks ago

Congrats!! That's so exciting :) ORM...over represented minority? or did you mean to put URM?