2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a waitlist email or heard of any movement happening?
I received an email regarding my post match waitlist status.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How important is it for me to get a car for med school activities

Members don't see this ad :)
So did I! I hope we can get some good news soon. Does anyone know how many students get accepted off of the waitlist?

At my interview, they said half of last year's matriculating class came off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Got in off the waitlist today! God is so good!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us still on the waitlist, would we have to re-apply when the med school apps open next month? Or wait for a response to do so?

For those of us still on the waitlist, would we have to re-apply when the med school apps open next month? Or wait for a response to do so?

If you’re re-pplying this cycle, you’ll still want to apply ASAP. Obviously it sucks cos you could hypothetically end up wasting money, but there’s no grace period or anything for those waiting on responses from the prior cycle.

I’m personally skipping a cycle if it comes to it.

If you’re re-pplying this cycle, you’ll still want to apply ASAP. Obviously it sucks cos you could hypothetically end up wasting money, but there’s no grace period or anything for those waiting on responses from the prior cycle.

I’m personally skipping a cycle if it comes to it.
I'm skipping as well. Going to retake my MCAT :(

Any more updates? Is May 1st an actual date where movement will happen again? I keep reading different. Got waitlisted around December and got an update on the whole Waitlist status on March I believe.

Any more updates? Is May 1st an actual date where movement will happen again? I keep reading different. Got waitlisted around December and got an update on the whole Waitlist status on March I believe.
What was the update on the waitlist status in march?

What was the update on the waitlist status in march?
It was basically an "encouragement" not to feel discouraged about still being on the waitlist. Also stated that some movement has been happening, received it on March 13. However, it didn't even mention my name. At least in the first email (the one where i was "pre-matched waitlisted") it included my name. The second email was more of a mass email (in my opinion) as they didn't even bother addressing me by my name.

It was basically an "encouragement" not to feel discouraged about still being on the waitlist. Also stated that some movement has been happening, received it on March 13. However, it didn't even mention my name. At least in the first email (the one where i was "pre-matched waitlisted") it included my name. The second email was more of a mass email (in my opinion) as they didn't even bother addressing me by my name.
Interesting, I didn’t get that email and my waitlist email didn’t have my name but “ DEAR FIRSTNAME”

Oh okay then yeah, I received the same email. In all honesty, I think it's bogus with the whole waitlist for UTRGV. Just like you and I, I wonder how many other people received the same email. It is frustrating. But as for me, I am not really paying too much attention to being on the waitlist. In the meantime, I'm just preparing myself for when I reapply, finishing up the semester with good grades and studying for an MCAT retake. What do you think?

There's actually been some movement in the list. During second look weekend, I had a friend who got accepted that Friday

Interesting, I didn’t get that email and my waitlist email didn’t have my name but “ DEAR FIRSTNAME”

I wouldn't read into that too much. When I pre-matched my acceptance offer just said "dear applicant" and not my name. Its just the mailing system.

Oh okay then yeah, I received the same email. In all honesty, I think it's bogus with the whole waitlist for UTRGV. Just like you and I, I wonder how many other people received the same email. It is frustrating. But as for me, I am not really paying too much attention to being on the waitlist. In the meantime, I'm just preparing myself for when I reapply, finishing up the semester with good grades and studying for an MCAT retake. What do you think?
Betty said it has been very slow this year in terms of movement off of the waitlist.

I'm sure it's slower than past years with them becoming significantly more established at this point. But, also, there will likely be at least a slight uptick in spot openings come May.

I'm sure it's slower than past years with them becoming significantly more established at this point. But, also, there will likely be at least a slight uptick in spot openings come May.

Don’t fret! There are several of us on waitlists. But you’re right, don’t expect as much movement as last year, people are falling in love with this school. The faculty is invested and infrastructure is coming together.

I'm hoping it will be enough for us to get in. Fingers crossed lol

It is the 2nd of May, Good luck fellow Pre-Med peeps :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist! Got the call yesterday, still in shock.

Not for me either. Tried messaging Betty but no reply. In-state.
Ahhh how are you all handling the stress?
Paranoidly checking my email every day multiple times a day, and doing everything possible to keep my mind busy lol

Reactions: 1 users
Paranoidly checking my email every day multiple times a day, and doing everything possible to keep my mind busy lol

Definitely obsessively checking my email, occasional emotional breakdown, then just trying to focus on my other plans

Just took myself off the waitlist. Best of luck to you guys still in the running!