2020-2021 Nevada, Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone place the URL for the secondary application portal? I have already interviewed but for some reason I can't find any of my emails with the application link.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they take a pre-II update? I assume not, but one can hope. Can't find any info either way.
I'm not sure about pre-II. However, during the interview week, we were specifically told no updates.

I'm not sure about pre-II. However, during the interview week, we were specifically told no updates.
Just to confirm, you mean they absolutely don't want post-interview updates? Sorry, I just wanted to be sure!

Reactions: 1 user
Just to confirm, you mean they absolutely don't want post-interview updates? Sorry, I just wanted to be sure!
They gave us a PDF with extra info about the school and what to expect after the interview. In the PDF it said not to send updates. They also told us during the Q&A not to worry about sending updates.

I mean if you think it's crucial, it may be worth it to email them and ask, but from past years it sounds like they prefer no updates unless something big has changed.

They gave us a PDF with extra info about the school and what to expect after the interview. In the PDF it said not to send updates. They also told us during the Q&A not to worry about sending updates.

I mean if you think it's crucial, it may be worth it to email them and ask, but from past years it sounds like they prefer no updates unless something big has changed.
Thanks for clarifying :)

II just now!! OOS complete 10/4

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning is it, yes?!!

Dr. Parrish makes those ~10 calls?

They review the applicants every third Thursday of the month and then make the calls the following Monday morning, per what Dr. Parrish said in the Q&A during interview week.

Members don't see this ad :)
They review the applicants every third Thursday of the month and then make the calls the following Monday morning, per what Dr. Parrish said in the Q&A during interview week.
I guess they call shortly after 9 am as well. I remember Dr. Parrish saying definitively that they DO NOT call prior to 9 AM and that it will be sometime after that.

*Suspenseful music from Interstellar starts playing

Reactions: 1 users
People have already started hearing... not me... but people

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Got the call from Dr. Parrish today at 10:30-ish (and I almost missed it!!). Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle, I hope you all get the As you deserve :)

Congrats! Stats?
High GPA, average MCAT + more than 3000 hours of clinical experience (primary care, neurology, and urgent care as a medical assistant) + shadowing in OB-GYN, volunteering (both hospital and non-profits), Organic Chemistry Research + 5 strong letters of recommendation), strong ties to Las Vegas since my family lives there and I have lived there for most of my life. I also worked in Las Vegas as a medical assistant after graduation to be with the community there and know what the needs are.

For interview, I would advise to know your application and experiences well enough to talk about them and give examples. I found it a little harder than the VITA interview. Definitely express in the interview your desire to stay in Las Vegas and work there as a physician. They want doctors that want to stay in Las Vegas.

I was a normal applicant with an authentic story. Let your story shine through and be yourself. Any questions, I am happy to help.

Hi! Sorry just saw this. 521 MCAT and 3.9 cGPA and sGPA. I have super mediocre extracurricular hours (less than 500 overall for clinical and non clinical) but every extracurricular i chose had a strong mission and story behind it and I think that might have made up for the hours. The interview was MMI style, kind of in the vein of VITA with more emphasis on the pre-med side of it, so I would highly recommend getting familiar with that style. Also practice talking to your camera! It’s a Bit awkward at first but with practice you’ll feel a lot more comfortable :)

hi everyone! I have an interview coming up and had a couple of questions:

1. Did everyone only prep for the list of questions they gave us? Did you feel this was sufficient?
2. Should I be practicing for other styles/types of questions?
3. To confirm, there's an optional: "is there anything else you want us to know" question at the end? For a total of 7 questions?

Thank you!

hi everyone! I have an interview coming up and had a couple of questions:

1. Did everyone only prep for the list of questions they gave us? Did you feel this was sufficient?
2. Should I be practicing for other styles/types of questions?
3. To confirm, there's an optional: "is there anything else you want us to know" question at the end? For a total of 7 questions?

Thank you!
Hi,
1. I would prep for the list that they provide but I would also prep for questions regarding activities that you did in college, research related questions, MMI question-like scenarios. The questions are not hard but the goal is to answer the questions as concise as possible and hit all the points that they ask. If you find yourself in a middle of a question with nothing to say, stop the timer and move on. Do no sit there trying to say something not meaningful just to fill the time. It is better to say a few words that mean something than minutes of meaningless words that will hurt your application.
2. Yes, practice all types of question. For example,
  • Medical school journey questions, which ask you to describe your journey and/or the experiences that led you to pursue a career in medicine.
    • Sample:Why did you decide to pursue a career in medicine?
  • Past behavior questions, which ask you to describe previous experiences that demonstrate your level of knowledge and skills related to the various competencies.
    • Sample: Describe a time when you experienced a conflict with a classmate or a coworker. What did you do? What was the outcome?
  • Situational questions, which ask you to demonstrate your level of knowledge and skills related to the various competencies by describing what you would do in different hypothetical situations.
    • Sample: Imagine you are working in a group project and one of your teammates is not doing their share of the work. What would you do?
3. There is an optional question at the end that allows you to add anything you would like to say to the committee. I would recommend not explaining something that they can already find in your application. I would also not end with something negative (for example, why you got a low MCAT or GPA or a poor grade). Focus on something positive, and something that you think you didn't have a chance to share in the application.

I know this is a long post, but I wish someone helped me when I was in your shoes. So today, I have the chance to provide this information and I am happy to help. Good luck, and be yourself, always!

• Love
Hi,
1. I would prep for the list that they provide but I would also prep for questions regarding activities that you did in college, research related questions, MMI question-like scenarios. The questions are not hard but the goal is to answer the questions as concise as possible and hit all the points that they ask. If you find yourself in a middle of a question with nothing to say, stop the timer and move on. Do no sit there trying to say something not meaningful just to fill the time. It is better to say a few words that mean something than minutes of meaningless words that will hurt your application.
2. Yes, practice all types of question. For example,
  • Medical school journey questions, which ask you to describe your journey and/or the experiences that led you to pursue a career in medicine.
    • Sample:Why did you decide to pursue a career in medicine?
  • Past behavior questions, which ask you to describe previous experiences that demonstrate your level of knowledge and skills related to the various competencies.
    • Sample: Describe a time when you experienced a conflict with a classmate or a coworker. What did you do? What was the outcome?
  • Situational questions, which ask you to demonstrate your level of knowledge and skills related to the various competencies by describing what you would do in different hypothetical situations.
    • Sample: Imagine you are working in a group project and one of your teammates is not doing their share of the work. What would you do?
3. There is an optional question at the end that allows you to add anything you would like to say to the committee. I would recommend not explaining something that they can already find in your application. I would also not end with something negative (for example, why you got a low MCAT or GPA or a poor grade). Focus on something positive, and something that you think you didn't have a chance to share in the application.

I know this is a long post, but I wish someone helped me when I was in your shoes. So today, I have the chance to provide this information and I am happy to help. Good luck, and be yourself, always!
Hi, I just wanted to say, thank you so so much for this write-up. It answered essentially every question I had/could have. Thank you again for being so helpful.

For those who have interviewed and got a decision, how long did it take to receive your decision from completion of the interview week?

For those who have interviewed and got a decision, how long did it take to receive your decision from completion of the interview week?

I interviewed beginning of November and I heard back on the third Monday of December.

I believe that the third Monday pattern might be different this month due to MLK day. Hopefully we can hear something on that Tuesday or following Monday!

I believe that the third Monday pattern might be different this month due to MLK day. Hopefully we can hear something on that Tuesday or following Monday!
Hmm, I thought the adcom met the third Thursday of every month and he called the following Monday.

hi, sorry if this has been asked already, but what's the time limit per interview question?

So do we think tomorrow is the day? I know there has been a lot of conflicting information as far as what day they will be sending out the 10 acceptances. But from what I was told and seen it appears that it is the Monday after the 3rd Thursday.

Reactions: 2 users
So do we think tomorrow is the day? I know there has been a lot of conflicting information as far as what day they will be sending out the 10 acceptances. But from what I was told and seen it appears that it is the Monday after the 3rd Thursday.
How do we know it is 10 acceptances that they send out?

No word here! Anyone hear the good word directly or through the grapevine?

If you look on the forum from the last cycle, the January acceptance calls were delayed. Not sure if that's the case this time but the silence on here suggests it might be. One can only hope...

Hi Everyone! We have changed our committee dates for January and February to be at month-end. So we have not released January acceptances yet. Those calls will occur next week. February will be similar in timing. Our March meeting will still be mid-month and our waitlist is still built in early April.

As mentioned in the interview week virtual live sessions, we do actively review interviewed applicants through all of those meetings and if you are not admitted in a monthly meeting you continue to be under active review. Also, if not admitted between January and March, you will hear final notification in April for waitlist or denial. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] as we don't jump on here very often.

For those of you wondering about application updates, we do not take letters of intent (they're not reviewed by our committee) and updates should only be in relationship to pre-requisites that were in progress and now have a grade (GPA will not be recalculated it is simply proof of completion). In addition, we take limited updates for significant changes to clinical experiences or community service. Again feel free to email us if you have questions.

We are done with secondary application invitations at this point in our cycle, and we are in the process of closing out our final available interview seats. Final notifications for those not advancing through those phases of our process will be coming out in February via email as we batch notify at the end of our pool review. We do not use the Apply Web portal for application updates or displaying phase statuses.

Our application pool was the largest we've ever had. We still are interviewing right around 300 this year and as you know, we give priority to Nevada residents and those with significant ties to our state due to our mission. As outlined on our website, our average incoming scores hover around 510 MCAT and 3.6 to 3.7 GPA for cumulative and BCPM.

We hope 2021 finds you doing well.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users