2021-2022 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is today the day we can email to see which third of the waitlist we are on? The portal said Tuesday March 17th which I'm wondering if its a typo since the 17th is Thursday

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in-state for admissions purposes. If you still haven't heard, I would just reach out to the admissions email and ask. Good luck!!
Hey Everyone,

I reached out to my boss for the specifics about the waitlist for this cycle since things have changed since I applied, and I expect a reply from her soon! If time allows, try to hold off on emailing the office to ask about where you stand on the WL for just a little longer. The admissions team still has a LOT going on, and you're always welcome to reach out to them, but you won't may not hear back right away.

The main reason I advise to hold off for now is because there hasn't been a ton of waitlist movement yet since applicants with multiple acceptances can still hold all of those acceptances. Come April 15th, accepted applicants will be required to narrow their acceptances down to only 3 schools, and come April 30th, those applicants will have the ability to "Commit to Enroll" at one school through the CYMS tool in AMCAS. It's around these dates (in particular 4/30) that we start to see a lot of WL movement. You'll be allowed to email the school shortly after May 1st (I'll get you a specific date very soon!) to inquire about your WL position. This year the admissions office plans to tell you your WL # position out of the total # on the WL. We hope that this helps students make final decisions and eliminates any ambiguity.

If you or anybody you know has been accepted to UNR Med but has decided to enroll elsewhere, please shoot a quick email to [email protected] stating that you've accepted another offer and are withdrawing your application from UNR Med, so that we can take you off our lists and open up a spot to somebody else. I promise that you won't hurt our feelings--we're still stoked for you! Removing the "Plan to Enroll" or changing the "Commit to Enroll" statuses in the CYMS tool doesn't withdraw your application, so we actually need an email from you in order for us to be timely about bringing people in from the WL. Thanks for the help!

I'll be posting a little more info in here shortly about things accepted students can do and about an upcoming re-applicant workshop. In the meantime, as always, you can reach out to me in here or through my PMs if you have any questions. I start dedicated study for Step 1 in a few weeks, so I'll be bringing on a current MS1 who can help answer Q's while I step away to study. Best of luck to everyone reading this! If this year wasn't your year, don't give up! It took me more than one application cycle to get in, and many of my current classmates were WL admits.

Reactions: 1 users
@UNR Admissions Rep do all or most of the people in the top one third of the waitlist get in usually? I’m in the top one third, so I can’t help but have high hopes.

@UNR Admissions Rep do all or most of the people in the top one third of the waitlist get in usually? I’m in the top one third, so I can’t help but have high hopes.
Congrats on the high placement!!

To be honest, it's really hard to predict what happens with the WL. For the class 1-2 years ahead of me, admissions went through and offered A's to every single applicant who'd been waitlisted. But in the end, the school was 2 people shy of filling the class. Since then, the list has obviously grown longer to prevent that from happening again. In the year that I applied, a close friend was top 10 on the waitlist...didn't get in until the following year when she reapplied as Early Decision. And don't forget that there's actually 2 waitlists, IS and OOS. When an accepted applicant withdraws their app, the school pulls from the respective WL.

All that aside, top 1/3 is a good place to be! Keep your chin up and hopefully you'll be getting an awesome surprise email sometime in the following weeks and months--best of luck!

Are we still supposed to hear by today about our position on the waitlist (which third)? I see some posters have received this email already. Definitely anxious to get more info. Thanks!
I emailed admissions and they responded a few days later. OOS WL btw.

Friendly reminder that you can request your numerical waitlist position today

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there has been any movement in the IS waitlist?

I just received my A this morning!!! I am so excited and relieved.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone or maybe our admissions rep have any thoughts on how movement on the OOS waitlist might look over the next month? I’m within the top 5!

Sorry about the long absence! I took Step 1 two-ish weeks ago and just today started 3rd year...it's crazy to even type all that out.

Regarding the waitlist movement for this year...Since I'm just a student myself, I'm not entirely in the loop with all of that info (especially with being so isolated in dedicated Step study), so please take the following with a grain of salt:
From my conversations with the director of admissions, it does seem like there's somewhat less WL movement than usual. This is true for both IS and OOS waitlists. It's hard to say if that's because there's more applicants intending to come to UNR, or if applicants are just holding them for now and waiting to give up their spot until they hear back from their other dream-school, or for some other reason...

If you know any applicant who's received an A, but is definitely not planning to come to UNR Med, please remind them to send off a quick email to the admissions office withdrawing their app and turning down their A.

I hope this helps for now! I'll reach out to my boss and see if I can get some more specific info regarding the WL movement. Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back, and for all who are gearing up for the next cycle. Remember that you are wanted (especially at UNR Med!) and that tenacity is quality of great physicians!

As always, feel free to reach out to me via PM or to the admissions email account too. I'll be fairly present for the next month or so as I take our Clerkship Preparation Course, and will do my best to answer Q's. Once the 2022-2023 UNR Med thread opens up, I'll be passing the "UNR Admissions Rep" profile over to a rising 2nd year student who'll take over for that application cycle. I'll still try to be present on that thread with my personal profile, but will likely have far less time to be as active as I'd like since I'll be in my clerkships.

I hope everyone is having a great start to their summer!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry about the long absence! I took Step 1 two-ish weeks ago and just today started 3rd year...it's crazy to even type all that out.

Regarding the waitlist movement for this year...Since I'm just a student myself, I'm not entirely in the loop with all of that info (especially with being so isolated in dedicated Step study), so please take the following with a grain of salt:
From my conversations with the director of admissions, it does seem like there's somewhat less WL movement than usual. This is true for both IS and OOS waitlists. It's hard to say if that's because there's more applicants intending to come to UNR, or if applicants are just holding them for now and waiting to give up their spot until they hear back from their other dream-school, or for some other reason...

If you know any applicant who's received an A, but is definitely not planning to come to UNR Med, please remind them to send off a quick email to the admissions office withdrawing their app and turning down their A.

I hope this helps for now! I'll reach out to my boss and see if I can get some more specific info regarding the WL movement. Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back, and for all who are gearing up for the next cycle. Remember that you are wanted (especially at UNR Med!) and that tenacity is quality of great physicians!

As always, feel free to reach out to me via PM or to the admissions email account too. I'll be fairly present for the next month or so as I take our Clerkship Preparation Course, and will do my best to answer Q's. Once the 2022-2023 UNR Med thread opens up, I'll be passing the "UNR Admissions Rep" profile over to a rising 2nd year student who'll take over for that application cycle. I'll still try to be present on that thread with my personal profile, but will likely have far less time to be as active as I'd like since I'll be in my clerkships.

I hope everyone is having a great start to their summer!
Another thing to consider:

According to AAMC, there were 17.8% more applicants during the 2021-2022 cycle than the previous year, an astounding increase relative to the normal fluctuations year to year. Therefore, there are far more applicants vying for the same number of spots, and thus less applicants are receiving multiple acceptances. I suspect waitlist movement is down this year across the board.

Another thing to consider:

According to AAMC, there were 17.8% more applicants during the 2021-2022 cycle than the previous year, an astounding increase relative to the normal fluctuations year to year. Therefore, there are far more applicants vying for the same number of spots, and thus less applicants are receiving multiple acceptances. I suspect waitlist movement is down this year across the board.

nah fam thats for the previous cycle, so 2020-2021 application cycle but for "for the 2021-22 school year" as listed in the article.

The article was also publushed in December 2021 so they would have had incomplete data on our cycle at that point

We have no idea what the numbers look like for this cycle. I hope there is more movement to come but no one knows

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email that they have closed the waitlist for this cycle. Bummer. Would’ve been amazing to go to UNR.