2021-2022 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@UNR Admissions Rep Please reword this part, I re-read this sentence way too many times :rofl::rofl:
1628625330564.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t received a secondary and IS. Forgot to do Snapshot. Is this a reason why I haven’t received one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t received a secondary and IS. Forgot to do Snapshot. Is this a reason why I haven’t received one?
Oh man. I thought Casper/Snapshot stuff is more of a secondary supplement type of thing? Like, you need it to be complete but don't need to have it done before you're given a secondary? Unless maybe each school looks at it differently.... I'm not sure, but best of luck
Edit: Also for UNR Snapshot is apparently optional UNR Med Application requirements

Oh man. I thought Casper/Snapshot stuff is more of a secondary supplement type of thing? Like, you need it to be complete but don't need to have it done before you're given a secondary? Unless maybe each school looks at it differently.... I'm not sure, but best of luck
Edit: Also for UNR Snapshot is apparently optional UNR Med Application requirements
Thank you for the update on Snapshot! I swear I thought I read the same page saying it was required when I submitted my application in June. Phew! I wonder why I haven’t received a 2 if I’m above metrics cutoffs…

Yo! So I'm not too familiar with snapshot as it wasn't used in the admissions process for my class or the one under me, but since it's not a required part of the application, then it isn't the reason you haven't gotten a secondary yet. Has your primary application been verified by AMCAS yet? As soon as it verifies, it's sent directly to the schools you've applied to. From there, you will receive a secondary from UNR Med (and likely any other AMCAS school) in the next few days at the very longest. Last I looked, verification was taking anywhere from 6-8 weeks. If it's been longer than 6-8 weeks, it's possible that AMCAS received your transcripts late, LORs late, or that they have to edit some of your coursework. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Finally complete at UNR! Now for the unbearable and miserable period of waiting :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Has your primary application been verified by AMCAS yet? As soon as it verifies, it's sent directly to the schools you've applied to. From there, you will receive a secondary from UNR Med
I checked my AMCAS and it says:

AMCAS Processing is Complete 8/4/21: Congratulations! Your application is processed and has been made available to your designated medical schools.

Is “processing complete” the same as verified? My AMCAS application says LORs and course work is marked complete. I’m only worried because it’s been almost 2 weeks

AMCAS Processing is Complete 8/4/21: Congratulations! Your application is processed and has been made available to your designated medical schools.

Is “processing complete” the same as verified? My AMCAS application says LORs and course work is marked complete. I’m only worried because it’s been almost 2 weeks
Yeah, your application is verified. My UNR secondary took 6 weeks to receive, even though I received the rest of my secondaries immediately. I wouldn't stress it!

Hmm interesting. I'll reach out to my supervisor and check in about how long it's been taking to get secondaries. For my class, it was an almost immediate email with the secondary. But according to @rolexb it's taking longer than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case though. Admissions is short staffed this year, so there will expectedly be delays in processing times. I'll get back to you though.

Hmm interesting. I'll reach out to my supervisor and check in about how long it's been taking to get secondaries. For my class, it was an almost immediate email with the secondary. But according to @rolexb it's taking longer than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case though. Admissions is short staffed this year, so there will expectedly be delays in processing times. I'll get back to you though.
Update: I just received UNR's secondary today! 😃

ATTENTION APPLICANTS:

Just a friendly reminder to check your spam emails DAILY! I found out today that a lot of the secondaries the admissions folks have sent out aren't being completed. And that's a problem if you want to go to medical school at UNR just FYI, ha. Honestly, you should be checking it regularly throughout the admissions cycle.

Additionally, I got some clarification on the timeline to receive a secondary. Due to the admissions dept. being a little short staffed, this process is taking slightly longer than usual. You can expect to wait around 2-3 weeks after verification to receive a secondary. Good luck! As always, feel free to hmu in the forum if you have any questions at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
ATTENTION APPLICANTS:

Just a friendly reminder to check your spam emails DAILY! I found out today that a lot of the secondaries the admissions folks have sent out aren't being completed. And that's a problem if you want to go to medical school at UNR just FYI, ha. Honestly, you should be checking it regularly throughout the admissions cycle.

Additionally, I got some clarification on the timeline to receive a secondary. Due to the admissions dept. being a little short staffed, this process is taking slightly longer than usual. You can expect to wait around 2-3 weeks after verification to receive a secondary. Good luck! As always, feel free to hmu in the forum if you have any questions at all.
Thanks for that info! I just submitted my secondary today, but do you have any idea when we might expect to start seeing II's? You know, asking for a friend :D

Thanks for that info! I just submitted my secondary today, but do you have any idea when we might expect to start seeing II's? You know, asking for a friend :D
Pretty sure they’ll go through ED first, prob expect them next month I would guess.

I applied early decision and have not heard about an interview yet. Hopefully soon! I'll let you know when they get around to us!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Everyone, regarding the interview timeline process...

Yes, Early Decision applicants will hear back about interviews first, likely before the end of this month. They are also interviewed first.

All others with a complete secondary application will hear back likely by the end of September. In general, this is about a 2-3 week turnaround after submitting the secondary. Of course, this is all subject to change as every year is different and applicant numbers have increased.

OOS applicants will take a little longer to hear back because they have to make it through a committee that looks at OOS applicants before the interview occurs.

I hope this helps to calm the nerves a little. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
That's super helpful, thank you so much!

Just to clarify: does that mean that I'll be viewed as a Nevada resident for tuition purposes only, or also for admissions purposes? I only ask because on the website you linked, it says "Meeting the above criteria does not result in classification as a Nevada resident for purposes of tuition" but I'm still uncertain about if there is a distinction between "Nevada-connected applicants" and "in-state applicants".

Hello, UNR Admissions representative here…….All applicants are classified as either 1) Nevada Connected or 2) Out-of-State Applicants

1) Nevada Connected Applicants must meet at least one of the criteria outlined under Category A on the Application Requirements page of the website (see below) as well as the minimum listed MCAT & cum GPA . While you can think of this category as “in-state” it’s actually a little broader and includes some applicants who currently reside outside of Nevada - so it is referred to as “Nevada Connected“

2) Out-of-State Applicants must be legal residents of one of the states or California counties listed under Category B on the website (or be approved for a residency exemption) and meet minimum listed MCAT and GPA.

Responses to Questions on the Secondary will determine how you are classified.

As a reminder, residency classification for TUITION is a separate process from applying to the MD program. It is based upon policy set by the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE). Not all applicants who are classified as Nevada applicants meet eligibility to pay in-state tuition - but applicants will be able to submit a form and receive notification about their tuition status in advance of accepting an offer of admission or committing to attend UNR MEd.

Application Requirements, including residency criteria are outlined at UNR Med Application requirements

Last edited:
I've attended a few UNRMed info sessions and seen a few of their recorded ones as well. Do you know if there be any more sessions coming up @UNR Admissions Rep?

I've attended a few UNRMed info sessions and seen a few of their recorded ones as well. Do you know if there be any more sessions coming up @UNR Admissions Rep?
Sorry for the late reply everyone! We had our Block 6 Final last week and we had the following week off, so I took some time to check out from school.

YES, we will be hosting 3 different events for you to attend and learn more about the School of Medicine! Anyone who has received an interview invite (or acceptance for the Early Decision folks) will be invited to attend a "First Look" opportunity on October 14th, November 13th, or December 9th. The Oct and Dec dates will be online, and the Nov date will be in-person. In order to make it fair for those who live farther away, each event will cover mainly the same things including a curriculum presentation, an update on the school/our partnership with Renown Health, explanation of research opportunities, COVID-19 stuff, and a Q & A session with Medical Students. The November in-person date will also include a tour of the school, anatomy lab introduction, Simulation Lab introduction, and lunch with current students.

Please keep in mind that only those who've received interview invites will get invitations to these sessions. Additionally, we are working to update some of the videos and will be trying to create some more to explain a day in the life of a 2nd year, as well as a 3rd or 4th year clinical student. We're hoping to have them completed by October 14th-ish.

Best of luck to everyone who's applying! As always, please feel free to message me directly on here (I promise to check more regularly!) or to send an email to [email protected] with any questions.

• Love
Sorry for the late reply everyone! We had our Block 6 Final last week and we had the following week off, so I took some time to check out from school.

YES, we will be hosting 3 different events for you to attend and learn more about the School of Medicine! Anyone who has received an interview invite (or acceptance for the Early Decision folks) will be invited to attend a "First Look" opportunity on October 14th, November 13th, or December 9th. The Oct and Dec dates will be online, and the Nov date will be in-person. In order to make it fair for those who live farther away, each event will cover mainly the same things including a curriculum presentation, an update on the school/our partnership with Renown Health, explanation of research opportunities, COVID-19 stuff, and a Q & A session with Medical Students. The November in-person date will also include a tour of the school, anatomy lab introduction, Simulation Lab introduction, and lunch with current students.

Please keep in mind that only those who've received interview invites will get invitations to these sessions. Additionally, we are working to update some of the videos and will be trying to create some more to explain a day in the life of a 2nd year, as well as a 3rd or 4th year clinical student. We're hoping to have them completed by October 14th-ish.

Best of luck to everyone who's applying! As always, please feel free to message me directly on here (I promise to check more regularly!) or to send an email to [email protected] with any questions.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any idea or can you say if the committee has reviewed secondary apps complete in mid-august?

Thanks for the info! Do you have any idea or can you say if the committee has reviewed secondary apps complete in mid-august?
No problem, glad to help!

And I can answer that! While I'm not on the committee, I know that they're hoping to have an interview decision sent to all applicants with completed secondaries by the end of September. The typical timeline is to have an interview decision sent out approx. 2-3 weeks after you submit your secondary. Keep in mind that by the mid-August, there's already a small backlog of applications to review before yours, so do not be alarmed if you don't hear back right away, or even if it's not until the first week of October. At this stage, we review secondaries in the order they were received. Don't worry though, I promise that they haven't lost you! You'll likely hear back sooner rather than later.

Additionally, remember that OOS applicants will generally hear back later than in-state. That's usually true for interview decisions and for final admissions decisions too.

Best of luck to everyone! Early Decision applicants should be hearing back this week! Everyone else, keep practicing those interview skills and feel free to ask me any questions you might have! Oh, and be sure to always CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL TOO!

I also just wanted to take a second to add that if you ever feel like something out of your control has caused your secondary or interview submission to go awry, please reach out to me on here or the main admissions team via their email. For example, if a transcript issue meant you missed a deadline to be reviewed or something...Everyone working admissions is a human who cares and really wants to see you succeed. We understand that sometimes things happen, and we don't want somebody else's mistake to cost you.

Okay, that's all for tonight. As always, good luck and I hope to see some of you at the "First Look" events soon!

I also just wanted to take a second to add that if you ever feel like something out of your control has caused your secondary or interview submission to go awry, please reach out to me on here or the main admissions team via their email. For example, if a transcript issue meant you missed a deadline to be reviewed or something...Everyone working admissions is a human who cares and really wants to see you succeed. We understand that sometimes things happen, and we don't want somebody else's mistake to cost you.

Okay, that's all for tonight. As always, good luck and I hope to see some of you at the "First Look" events soon!
Thank you so much for staying so active here with us! I, and I'm sure others, really appreciate your candor and thoughts on this application process.

Additionally, remember that OOS applicants will generally hear back later than in-state. That's usually true for interview decisions and for final admissions decisions too.
As an OOS applicant, this makes me feel better o_O Thanks for taking the time to share all this info!

Got the email about the applicant preview! Haven't received an interview invite yet, but the wording makes it seem like it's coming!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got the email about the applicant preview! Haven't yet received an interview invite yet, but the wording makes it seem like it's coming!
Sweet! And yeah, we sent the Preview invites out to all in-state applicants. As long as you're an in-state applicant and have met the minimum gpa/mcat criteria, there's a very good chance that you will get an interview for the 2021-2022 application cycle. However, because we are seeing more in-state applicants every year, it's likely that some pre-screening will take place so that fewer interview invites are given out in future admissions cycles.

OOS students will not receive an invitation email to the Preview events until they have also received an interview invite.

I hope to see a lot of you at the Preview events, especially the in-person one on November 13th! Just so you all know, we're also working to update our "Day in the Life" videos with a (current non-zoom based) MS1, as well as a current MS2. We hope to have those put up on the website in the next few weeks or sooner.

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions and best of luck to all applicants!

Got the email about the applicant preview! Haven't yet received an interview invite yet, but the wording makes it seem like it's coming!
Congrats!! Let us know how the preview goes 😉
@UNR Admissions Rep It looks like October is IS people month, can OOS people expect to hear back with something November? Also, do you know how receptive the office is to pre-ii update letters?

Thanks for all you've done for us in this thread, it really takes some stress.

Congrats!! Let us know how the preview goes 😉
@UNR Admissions Rep It looks like October is IS people month, can OOS people expect to hear back with something November? Also, do you know how receptive the office is to pre-ii update letters?

Thanks for all you've done for us in this thread, it really takes some stress.
You'd be correct about October! So OOS applicants can expect to start hearing back with interview decisions around early November (at the earliest). That's about when we plan to have most if not all of the in-state interviews completed.

And as far as update letters go, they are considered by the Admissions Executive Committee (the group that makes the final decision for interviewed applicants), but will not be reviewed by anybody before then. So it wouldn't benefit you until you've already gotten that interview invite.

I'm glad that people appreciate my presence on here! I definitely remember those days and the anxiety that came with them. Don't worry though, being a good medical student is all about getting comfortable being really uncomfortable haha, so you're all getting great practice! :rofl:

Anyway, I'm going to sign off for a few days since we have another exam this Friday...2nd year really is rapid fire! Best of luck to all applicants and try to relax as best as you can for now.

Hello! Just had a question regarding OOS IIs. I am possibly planning a trip in November and wanted to make sure it does not clash with a potential II. What kinds of dates are we looking at for November and onward interviews/how long do you have to schedule an interview after you receive an invitation?

Thank you very much!
You'd be correct about October! So OOS applicants can expect to start hearing back with interview decisions around early November (at the earliest). That's about when we plan to have most if not all of the in-state interviews completed.

And as far as update letters go, they are considered by the Admissions Executive Committee (the group that makes the final decision for interviewed applicants), but will not be reviewed by anybody before then. So it wouldn't benefit you until you've already gotten that interview invite.

I'm glad that people appreciate my presence on here! I definitely remember those days and the anxiety that came with them. Don't worry though, being a good medical student is all about getting comfortable being really uncomfortable haha, so you're all getting great practice! :rofl:

Anyway, I'm going to sign off for a few days since we have another exam this Friday...2nd year really is rapid fire! Best of luck to all applicants and try to relax as best as you can for now.

Hello! Just had a question regarding OOS IIs. I am possibly planning a trip in November and wanted to make sure it does not clash with a potential II. What kinds of dates are we looking at for November and onward interviews/how long do you have to schedule an interview after you receive an invitation?

Thank you very much!
Howdy! Out of state interviews will go out in late November or even December. Once you receive the interview invite, you have one week to complete the interview. Fortunately, it's entirely online and at your own convenience 24/7 that week. It only takes about an hour, but once it's started, it must be completed. Also, if you do not have access to a computer for the week assigned, please reach out to the admissions office directly to schedule an extension. Hope this helps! Good luck!

II received 10/13!! Completed secondary Aug 19th

• Love
Hi all! So just to clarify we won’t hear back about our interview until December 15 right?

Hi all! So just to clarify we won’t hear back about our interview until December 15 right?
That's my assumption, but it's also my understanding that they review apps in batches. So, December 15th is the first day to potentially hear back.

That's my assumption, but it's also my understanding that they review apps in batches. So, December 15th is the first day to potentially hear back.
I see, thanks! Man it would suck to have to wait a whole nother month if we weren’t to be in the first batch ahhh. Fingers crossed…

The only thing that makes today spooky for me is the fact that I get to start stressing about UNR starting tomorrow :D Happy Halloween, Reno!
Futurama Reaction GIF

anyone going to the applicant preview this weekend? if so, feel free to DM me!

anyone going to the applicant preview this weekend? if so, feel free to DM me!
Me! Have you received the additional info they were supposed to send yet? I haven’t and wanted to make sure it’s not just on my end

Me! Have you received the additional info they were supposed to send yet? I haven’t and wanted to make sure it’s not just on my end
I didn’t know they were sending additional info? I was just going to show up at 8:30 like the invite said 😂