2020-2021 Nevada, Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Nevada - Las Vegas

Members don't see this ad.

@TheDataKing

Idk if you wanted to change the name to UNLV? or have it in parenthesis? I had a hard time finding this thread

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All prompts have a 250-word limit.
  • Describe how your background and future goals will contribute to the mission of the UNLV School of Medicine.
  • Briefly discuss how you envision yourself contributing to the care of our growing and diverse population in the state of Nevada.
  • Provide a BRIEF chronological summary of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school.
  • You are welcome to share with the Admissions Committee any disruptions or impact to your application components, the application process, and/or your personal life due to COVID-19. This field is not required
  • If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.

the website is under maintenance until late tonight I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
For the undergraduate summary essay, are you all writing it in the example format they gave you or paragraph form? The example is:
Example: 2008 - 2012: Attended College at Institution Name; 2012 - 2013: Completed a year long service experience in Venezeula; 2013-2014: Worked as a barista at Starbucks; 2014 - Present: EMT for Boulder City Fire Department.
I feel like paragraph form gives you a chance to show more and reflect?

For the undergraduate summary essay, are you all writing it in the example format they gave you or paragraph form? The example is:
Example: 2008 - 2012: Attended College at Institution Name; 2012 - 2013: Completed a year long service experience in Venezeula; 2013-2014: Worked as a barista at Starbucks; 2014 - Present: EMT for Boulder City Fire Department.
I just went with the format they gave. I wanted to keep it "BRIEF" as they said since we bombarded them with that work&activities section in the primary alr haha

So I don't know if anyone can speak to this, but I welcome any and all opinions. I have a hard time closing doors before I know I want them closed. Meaning, one of my concerns in coming to UNLV would be that suppose I chose to pursue a more competitive specialty, would I be behind the 8-ball, so to speak, in attending a new university. Especially, if UNLV does not have a department in a field I am interested in, so you don't have a home program to support you.

That being said, I can see the opposite argument that the school is likely invested and hoping to establish their legacy and it seems that they really want their students to succeed. Thus, attending UNLV as a newer institution could be a great help, rather than any hindrance.

Thoughts?

Several members of the Charter Class (2021) are applying in specialties that are not offered at UNLV School of Medicine. We have been working diligently to secure elective opportunities for students to facilitate their successful application. Certainly the limitation on "away" electives due to COVID has made this a challenge, but we fully expect our students to be successful. Our students have worked hard and done well, and we expect great things from this class. Our legacy will be built by the accomplishments of our students, and the comment that the school is heavily invested in our students' success is on point.

Please use the list format that is concise as shown in the example. Thank you! :)

Several members of the Charter Class (2021) are applying in specialties that are not offered at UNLV School of Medicine. We have been working diligently to secure elective opportunities for students to facilitate their successful application. Certainly the limitation on "away" electives due to COVID has made this a challenge, but we fully expect our students to be successful. Our students have worked hard and done well, and we expect great things from this class. Our legacy will be built by the accomplishments of our students, and the comment that the school is heavily invested in our students' success is on point.
Thank you for the response. That was very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
During last cycle II's started being sent out at the end of July/beginning of August. Is this year going to be a similar timeline or maybe a bit delayed due to Covid?

During last cycle II's started being sent out at the end of July/beginning of August. Is this year going to be a similar timeline or maybe a bit delayed due to Covid?
Secondaries started going out at the end of July and will continue into the fall. Priority is given to Nevada residents and those with significant ties to the state. Metrics must also be met.

Any OOS applicants with ties to the state receive a secondary yet?

II Received! IS, complete on 7/13, virtual interviews this year
II received as well!! They have so many weeks available. Idk if I can take off work though ... Do people try to do these before like October? or would Oct still be "early"?

II received as well!! They have so many weeks available. Idk if I can take off work though ... Do people try to do these before like October? or would Oct still be "early"?
it will be asynchronous, so you don't have to take a day off from work (except for Friday that week bc there are two mandatory live sessions). but for the interview questions, you can record them whenever until the Friday of that week.

it will be asynchronous, so you don't have to take a day off from work (except for Friday that week bc there are two mandatory live sessions). but for the interview questions, you can record them whenever until the Friday of that week.

Perfect!! That was what I was hoping ... I'll be recording them at like 8 PM LOLOL Good luck!

After submitting the secondary, did you guys get an app completed email? I submitted on 7/31 and didn't hear anything back yet.

Edit: NVM got an IS II on the 17th!

Last edited:
II just now! Smiling from ear to ear atm :)

I got an II too! Do you guys know if they mostly look at personality once the interview has been extended or also stats even through the interview process? Either way, I’m super grateful!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS with ties to the state, just got a secondary yesterday

Is there anyone else with ties to the state that has not received a secondary yet? I am getting kind of nervous in september without a secondary.

does anyone know how long we will get to record our answers for each question during the interview?

Does anyone know the earliest date that interviews will begin? My interview is the week of Sept 21.

thanks man! I am yet to record my interview, i am a little too stressed out lmao. i don't like talking to a screen ya know
I feel you hahah. I am not looking forward to it. It’s only the VITA recording right? Did you try the practice one?

I feel you hahah. I am not looking forward to it. It’s only the VITA recording right? Did you try the practice one?
it's not VITA. they use another software for UNLV only. but i think this one gives you a chance to practice 10 times too.

Does anyone have any idea what the post-II acceptance rate is for this school? Seems like a lot of IS students get an II based on the MSAR

Does anyone have any idea what the post-II acceptance rate is for this school? Seems like a lot of IS students get an II based on the MSAR
admissions said they get around 300 applications, interview around 170ish people, and accept 80 to fill a cohort of 60 people.

Still waiting on a secondary... OOS no ties

What time did the Friday session last until? I know the second session starts at 1:15 PM, but I wanted to see how long it lasts (for work purposes). Thanks in advance!
Mine were 1 hr each with a 15 min break in between.