2020-2021 Nevada, Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a OOS secondary last night as well. Does anybody know if its worth paying?

Edit: absolutely no ties.

Last edited:
Mine were 1 hr each with a 15 min break in between.

How were the Friday sessions? Were they interview style settings that we should prepare for? Or more relaxed conversations where we just ask questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview tool says that our answers can be 5 minutes or 7 minutes long, depending on the question. Did anyone take that whole time? I cannot imagine talking more than 2/3 minutes.

Anyone know what the acceptance schedule is for UNLV? Do they accept a fair amount each month, or trickle and then mass As in a certain month a la Mizzou? Or some other time frame?

Anyone know what the acceptance schedule is for UNLV? Do they accept a fair amount each month, or trickle and then mass As in a certain month a la Mizzou? Or some other time frame?
they said their committee meets monthly and the first acceptances will be released late October

Reactions: 1 users
anyone else feel a bit flustered doing the asynchronous interview? lol

Reactions: 4 users
The interview tool says that our answers can be 5 minutes or 7 minutes long, depending on the question. Did anyone take that whole time? I cannot imagine talking more than 2/3 minutes.

I ended up taking about 3-5, never really reached the time limit on any of them. We'll see how it plays out I guess!

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up taking about 3-5, never really reached the time limit on any of them. We'll see how it plays out I guess!
Same!

Oddly enough, one of the questions I thought I would end up being the shortest ended up being the only one I got close to the end time limit

Reactions: 1 user
On UNLV Med’s Interview Days website page they stated they usually provide a list of 50 potential interview questions. With virtual interviews in effect this cycle they stated the following:

“Due to the nature of this new process, applicants will no longer be given access to the 50 question bank for preparation, but instead will receive a smaller sample of questions for preparation.”

Does anyone know where to find this year’s sample question bank? Or is there not one?

Members don't see this ad :)
On UNLV Med’s Interview Days website page they stated they usually provide a list of 50 potential interview questions. With virtual interviews in effect this cycle they stated the following:

“Due to the nature of this new process, applicants will no longer be given access to the 50 question bank for preparation, but instead will receive a smaller sample of questions for preparation.”

Does anyone know where to find this year’s sample question bank? Or is there not one?
it appears in the checklist items on the portal when you are offered an II

DId any in-state applicants get the "We are reviewing your application" a few days ago but no secondary yet?
A few of my friends got their secondary a couple of hours after that email and I haven't, it's a bit worrying to me given my stats (I have already interviewed there 2 years ago and was rejected)

DId any in-state applicants get the "We are reviewing your application" a few days ago but no secondary yet?
A few of my friends got their secondary a couple of hours after that email and I haven't, it's a bit worrying to me given my stats (I have already interviewed there 2 years ago and was rejected)

I got this email and it took them 2 weeks to send a secondary , I am IS

I submitted my secondary at the end of July and still have not heard back. I interviewed with them last cycle. Really hoping to get one, I was born and raised in Vegas and went to UNLV for undergrad, it would be nice to go to med school there too!

I submitted my secondary at the end of July and still have not heard back. I interviewed with them last cycle. Really hoping to get one, I was born and raised in Vegas and went to UNLV for undergrad, it would be nice to go to med school there too!
These are my exact thoughts lol. Very weird..

I interviewed last month. They said they will review completed applications every 3rd thursday of the month, then call the accepted applicants the day after (so that would be today). It was unclear whether they started that process October or if that won't happen until November. Anyone have insight?

I interviewed last month. They said they will review completed applications every 3rd thursday of the month, then call the accepted applicants the day after (so that would be today). It was unclear whether they started that process October or if that won't happen until November. Anyone have insight?
They said the earliest calls will be around October 29-30th

I've seen some people post about getting accepted today actually on social media, not sure if its ED or something though
I don’t think it’s ED, I think it’s the first batch or regular applicants. At my interview earlier this month they said the first calls were going out yesterday and today, not 29-30. Also if you look on MSAR they only have like 3 or 4 ED students, so..

I don’t think it’s ED, I think it’s the first batch or regular applicants. At my interview earlier this month they said the first calls were going out yesterday and today, not 29-30. Also if you look on MSAR they only have like 3 or 4 ED students, so..
Yeah i don’t think it’s ED. Dont those have to go out by October 1 ?

Maybe MD/PhD? The silence on here is suspicious...

Maybe MD/PhD? The silence on here is suspicious...
The other thing is that it could have been Early Decision and they are just posting about it a few days after

Thankfully, I just received an interview invitation! How was the virtual interview for everyone?

Thankfully, I just received an interview invitation! How was the virtual interview for everyone?
Asynchronous interview is definitely not as desirable as a one on one virtual interview. I would suggest practicing speaking on an empty zoom call and coming up with answers in a short amount of time.

Does anyone know how long the asynchronous interview is (either how many questions or how long the whole interview)? Also, can we stop in between questions like the AAMC Vita?

If I remember correctly, there were 6-7 questions, and one optional question at the end. You were given 5-7 minutes to respond to each question. The interview also needed to be completed in one sitting unlike the VITA.

Hi, I have the interview next week and I just wanted to know 4 things:

(1) Do they provide an option to practice the interview like the VITA interview? If they do, how do we find this because it is not in their email.
(2) Do we only get one chance to respond like the VITA or do we have multiple chances to record?
(3) If anyone has taken the VITA, are the questions similar or are they more personalized or more difficult?
(4) How are the live sessions with the groups? Is it through zoom? do we have to have questions prepared for this or is it just casual conversation and listening to the student and the Q&A presentation?

Thank you!!

Hi, I have the interview next week and I just wanted to know 4 things:

(1) Do they provide an option to practice the interview like the VITA interview? If they do, how do we find this because it is not in their email.
(2) Do we only get one chance to respond like the VITA or do we have multiple chances to record?
(3) If anyone has taken the VITA, are the questions similar or are they more personalized or more difficult?
(4) How are the live sessions with the groups? Is it through zoom? do we have to have questions prepared for this or is it just casual conversation and listening to the student and the Q&A presentation?

Thank you!!

Hi! I am answering these questions based on memory only, but I am fairly confident in my answers.

1) Yes, there is an option to practice before the interview starts. No separate email link is necessary, the practice is contained within the interview session itself.

2) Similar to the VITA, you will only have one opportunity to respond to each question.

3) The questions do test similar competencies in my opinion. However, I would certainly review the practice questions that UNLV provided via email as it will give you an idea of what to expect.

4) The live sessions were through Zoom or another similar platform. Dress professionally. They were a good opportunity to meet some of the med students and ask whatever questions you like. I would recommend asking questions, but it is not mandatory.

I hope this helps!

Anyone get a call from Dr. Parrish this morning?

• Dislike
Is the UNLV interview just voice recording or also video?

How did everyone prep for the asynchronous interview?

Many thanks :)

Is the UNLV interview just voice recording or also video?

How did everyone prep for the asynchronous interview?

Many thanks :)

It is both audio and video recording! I did the practice a couple times to prepare for the real thing. Best of luck!

This is my hometown school and still radio silence... starting to lose hope

Hi! I am answering these questions based on memory only, but I am fairly confident in my answers.

1) Yes, there is an option to practice before the interview starts. No separate email link is necessary, the practice is contained within the interview session itself.

2) Similar to the VITA, you will only have one opportunity to respond to each question.

3) The questions do test similar competencies in my opinion. However, I would certainly review the practice questions that UNLV provided via email as it will give you an idea of what to expect.

4) The live sessions were through Zoom or another similar platform. Dress professionally. They were a good opportunity to meet some of the med students and ask whatever questions you like. I would recommend asking questions, but it is not mandatory.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this information. It helped a lot!

same here :(
Ya, having been born in Vegas and lived a large portion of my life there, I really hoped to get an II. I filled the dang secondary out at 6:00 am the first day these went out on July 10, but nothing.. No love.

• Wow
admissions said they get around 300 applications, interview around 170ish people, and accept 80 to fill a cohort of 60 people.

Hi! Do you mean 3000 applications by any chance? I saw that UNLV SOM has confirmed on a previous SDN thread that they received 1800 applications for the 2018-2019 cycle, so I can't imagine them receiving just 300 applications this cycle haha.

Hi! Do you mean 3000 applications by any chance? I saw that UNLV SOM has confirmed on a previous SDN thread that they received 1800 applications for the 2018-2019 cycle, so I can't imagine them receiving just 300 applications this cycle haha.
Think 300 instate applicants . Many others will qualify as instate with connections to nevada, but probably get around 250-300 with nevada as amcas residency

Just thinking that Friday was Nevada day, so it’s possible that Dr. P makes calls tomorrow for decisions that were made on Thursday. Don’t know for sure, just speculating. Maybe tomorrow will bring some good news for some

Just thinking that Friday was Nevada day, so it’s possible that Dr. P makes calls tomorrow for decisions that were made on Thursday. Don’t know for sure, just speculating. Maybe tomorrow will bring some good news for some
The first calls went out on a Monday last year so hopefully!

Interview invite received today! IS and I was complete end of August. Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users