2021-2022 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the R. Salty bc I wanted to be close to family but it’s okay. Congrats to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, but graduated from a Nevada high school so I think I’m considered “in-state” for applicant purposes.
Just to put it out there...OOS applicants are unlikely to have heard back today, but can expect more news in February. Hang in there!

Sam

Same, interviewed late October

And just as a reminder, there is no correlation between when you were interviewed and when you will receive your decision. UNR Med doesn't do rolling admissions (where an earlier interview ensures an earlier evaluation and an earlier decision/better applicant odds of acceptance). We do not begin evaluation until all applicant interviews have been completed. This allows us to base our evaluation and assessment of each applicant off of their metrics, letters of rec, secondary essays, interview scores, etc. We feel this way gives us a better look at each student and lets us build our class from those who truly rose to the top of the applicant pool, not just those who had the time to complete secondaries and interviews first.

*The only exception to the above is the Early Decision Program, where applicants are interviewed in August and early September, and receive their decisions in October.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing heard for me! Feel like probably won’t hear anything for the rest of the day.

See y’all next month!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my acceptance Friday afternoon as well. Didnt read it until this morning.
Is there a thread for accepted students?
Would like to get my housing situation set up before moving there.

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back from UNRSOM. Keep on fighting the good fight!!!

Does anyone know how long the waitlist has been in previous years?
I'm not sure how many we plan to put on the waitlists (yes there's 2 different lists) this year... Just FYI, the IS waitlist will have more people on it than the OOS waitlist. Try to keep your head up! Only a few years ago we ran through the entire waitlist and offered admission to every single person on it! You may just very well get an awesome surprise email in the next few months. Waitlist movement is slow up until late April or early May when people have to declare "intent to enroll" with AMCAS. After that deadline we can see a lot of movement. Stay positive!

Got my acceptance Friday afternoon as well. Didnt read it until this morning.
Is there a thread for accepted students?
Would like to get my housing situation set up before moving there.

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back from UNRSOM. Keep on fighting the good fight!!!
Welcome to UNR Med! Congrats!

I've never seen a thread for accepted students. We're working on building your class a private Facebook page where you can meet other incoming and current students, figure out housing, get reminders about important dates, etc. Once that's created, I'll post a link in here for the accepted applicants to join. Current students frequently post adds in there seeking incoming students as roommates.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much luck you'll have now since we've only just begun the second semester, but you can always try emailing the admissions office too. They can send out an email on your behalf, but most students aren't working on next year's housing quite yet. I'd recommend you reach out in March-early April to get a place in mid to late July or June. Lots of close by housing, but closer = a little more expensive. Midtown houses and apartments are in a great location for nights off, but will definitely be more expensive. West University district is close to school and Rancho San Rafael Park with mixed prices for houses. Sparks will have the cheapest homes and a fairly modest commute as long as there's no accidents.

My unsolicited recommendations: do not live in any place that offers pre-furnished apartments (they're overrun with freshmen), on campus graduate student housing is a decent option if you like convenience (walk to class everyday), some of the close-by neighborhoods can be undergrad heavy, and try to aim for less than 30 minutes of driving if you chose to live further away. Hwys 395/580 and I-80 can both get backed up during rush hour, but aren't too bad. Just don't live in Spanish Springs... unless commuting in backed up traffic is your jam.

Question for anyone that might know. Got the WL email on 12/16/21, but then got an email in 1/12/22 for the confidentiality agreement, but it referred to me as a UNR med student and said it was the next step in my enrollment process. Is this significant in any way? Or do all waitlisted applicants get it?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone that might know. Got the WL email on 12/16/21, but then got an email in 1/12/22 for the confidentiality agreement, but it referred to me as a UNR med student and said it was the next step in my enrollment process. Is this significant in any way? Or do all waitlisted applicants get it?
I'm not totally sure tbh, but I'll reach out to my boss and try to find out.

I'd say it's probably safe to assume that this is just a standard FERPA form that everyone accepted or waitlisted signs. Sorry if the letter got your hopes up a little prematurely!

If it's actually different than I've suggested here (or if she just outright admits that it IS actually a mystical sign that you're at the top of the list), well, then I'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck to everyone still holding out!! As always, you're all welcome to reach out anytime with any questions or concerns!

As an update on the "confidentiality agreement" emails, I found out a little more, so I think it's best that I clarify that this is just a form that we require all applicants who have been interviewed to sign and agree to. Essentially, it's our way of holding you to the promise to not disclose any of the scenarios that we use in the MMI interviews. We take both protecting the privacy of these scenarios and the promise that applicants make to keep them confidential very seriously, and this paper is just one more way for us to make it known. I hope this helps to clarify that email. Receiving this email doesn't in any way (other than the fact that you were interviewed) make it more or less likely that you'll be accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

T-20 days…

I’m not nervous you’re nervous
D37744E4-3661-4968-BBDB-4ACA41865EE3.gif

Anyone know if they accept letters of intent?
@jyhassius is correct!

We do not accept LOIs because they're a non-binding contract, leaving an applicant free to leave if they received an acceptance elsewhere.

My best advice is that applicants convey anything they would've put in a LOI in their secondary application essays instead. The admissions committee puts a lot of time and energy into reading those essays. They really try to learn about each applicant, and in particular, their reasons for why UNR Med is the right school for them. Additionally, for applicants who have a strong desire and commitment to attend UNR Med, I recommend applying to the Early Decision Program so that you receive your decision sooner.

I hope that helps clarify the position the school has taken on LOIs. As always, feel free to reach out to me on here, write me through the DMs, or email the office of admissions for any clarification or questions. I know that the committee met last weekend and spent a lot of time reviewing apps...we're already halfway to the next decision day! I'm thinking good thoughts for all of you!🤞

Do you guys know what time decisions have been released in Jan and Dec?

Guys I just got the call. I’m OOS which makes it even more surprising. Still can’t believe it😭

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone with an A from Jan or Dec not get a call? Is all hope lost now if we have no call at this point

Wellp I guess it’s safe to assume calls are probably over by now :-(