2021-2022 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone going to the applicant preview this weekend? if so, feel free to DM me!
I'll be there! :cool: Stoked to meet some of you in person.

Regarding the "additional info"...let me check in with my boss to see what else needs to be sent out.

Off the top of my head, there will be some lectures where admin talks to you about the school/curriculum/research opportunities/things like that, a tour of our anatomy lab and program overview with one of our anatomists, a Q & A session with a medical student panel with the admin out of the room (we like to be as transparent with you as we can), and more! Everything will be inside and there won't be excessive walking. Be sure to come prepared with a couple questions you'd like answered and remember that you're NOT being graded or evaluated by anyone! Just be yourself and have fun learning about UNR Med :)

Feel free to post any questions in here or PM me too. Oh, if you're from out of the area and spending the night, be sure to ask the current students for their preferred places to eat--Reno has some great options!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be there! :cool: Stoked to meet some of you in person.

Regarding the "additional info"...let me check in with my boss to see what else needs to be sent out.

Off the top of my head, there will be some lectures where admin talks to you about the school/curriculum/research opportunities/things like that, a tour of our anatomy lab and program overview with one of our anatomists, a Q & A session with a medical student panel with the admin out of the room (we like to be as transparent with you as we can), and more! Everything will be inside and there won't be excessive walking. Be sure to come prepared with a couple questions you'd like answered and remember that you're NOT being graded or evaluated by anyone! Just be yourself and have fun learning about UNR Med :)

Feel free to post any questions in here or PM me too. Oh, if you're from out of the area and spending the night, be sure to ask the current students for their preferred places to eat--Reno has some great options!
Awesome! Thank you so much I am super excited!!! I just looked back on an old email and the additional info is just supposed to be parking directions and further logistical directions. I am just a little neurotic about that part since I’m out of state and haven’t been so I could use all of the directions hahaha. One other quick question, sorry if this has been answered already. What is the dress code for this event?

Awesome! Thank you so much I am super excited!!! I just looked back on an old email and the additional info is just supposed to be parking directions and further logistical directions. I am just a little neurotic about that part since I’m out of state and haven’t been so I could use all of the directions hahaha. One other quick question, sorry if this has been answered already. What is the dress code for this event?
I’m going suit and tie🤷🏻‍♂️

Members don't see this ad :)
We're looking forward to having you visit Reno for the first time! I'm 99% sure that an additional email will be sent out with all the pertinent info, but I'll do my best to answer some of the questions here.

The medical school is way up on top of the main UNR campus area. When coming from either direction on I-80, exit at North Virginia St, and head North (uphill). Hang a Right onto 17th street (there will be a blue sign that lists the School of Medicine in small letters). Head straight on this road past the post office, some parking lots, the football field, and go straight through the roundabout in front of the big "University of Nevada School of Medicine" behind it. You'll pass the student health center and start to curve down and to the right and will hit a stop sign at a T-intersection that overlooks some fields. Turn Left here and you're basically there. The next building on your Right will be the William N. Pennington Health Sciences building (aka Pennington Health Sciences or PHS). It's a big modern looking building that overlooks the sports fields and has a big parking lot in front of it (Silver Lot). Parking is free anywhere on weekends.

The easiest way to find it is to put "William N. Pennington Health Sciences Education" into your iPhone's maps and have it guide you there. Be advised, there's a building on the TMCC Redfield campus in far South Reno with essentially the same, as well as probably 20+ different buildings on UNR's campus with "Pennington" in the name, so make sure you're heading towards the right place! Pennington Medical Education is our admin building/library and is directly across the street from PHS (behind the photographer below). If you need extra help, you can always google for a UNR campus map too, we'll be in the upper right.
MELLB+Enry+Night.jpg

I haven't gotten official word on this, but I'm confident the dress code will business casual. A suit and tie is fine, but don't worry if you don't have one. Slacks, belt, and nice collared button-up shirt for guys is fine, and a blouse/button up shirt with a skirt or slacks with closed toed shoes for the ladies is also fine.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps! This is a low stress event for everyone, so just have fun and learn as much about UNR Med as you can!

Reactions: 1 user
We're looking forward to having you visit Reno for the first time! I'm 99% sure that an additional email will be sent out with all the pertinent info, but I'll do my best to answer some of the questions here.

The medical school is way up on top of the main UNR campus area. When coming from either direction on I-80, exit at North Virginia St, and head North (uphill). Hang a Right onto 17th street (there will be a blue sign that lists the School of Medicine in small letters). Head straight on this road past the post office, some parking lots, the football field, and go straight through the roundabout in front of the big "University of Nevada School of Medicine" behind it. You'll pass the student health center and start to curve down and to the right and will hit a stop sign at a T-intersection that overlooks some fields. Turn Left here and you're basically there. The next building on your Right will be the William N. Pennington Health Sciences building (aka Pennington Health Sciences or PHS). It's a big modern looking building that overlooks the sports fields and has a big parking lot in front of it (Silver Lot). Parking is free anywhere on weekends.

The easiest way to find it is to put "William N. Pennington Health Sciences Education" into your iPhone's maps and have it guide you there. Be advised, there's a building on the TMCC Redfield campus in far South Reno with essentially the same, as well as probably 20+ different buildings on UNR's campus with "Pennington" in the name, so make sure you're heading towards the right place! Pennington Medical Education is our admin building/library and is directly across the street from PHS (behind the photographer below). If you need extra help, you can always google for a UNR campus map too, we'll be in the upper right.
MELLB+Enry+Night.jpg

I haven't gotten official word on this, but I'm confident the dress code will business casual. A suit and tie is fine, but don't worry if you don't have one. Slacks, belt, and nice collared button-up shirt for guys is fine, and a blouse/button up shirt with a skirt or slacks with closed toed shoes for the ladies is also fine.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps! This is a low stress event for everyone, so just have fun and learn as much about UNR Med as you can!
No no this is not too long at all. Thank you SO much for taking your time to explain all of this!!! Seriously this was so helpful thank you!!! I can’t wait for this weekend!!

Wait I totally missed this part! So does this mean that they've already begun reviewing OOS people?
Im not sure if they have. I wouldn’t count me though bc I was considered as in state priority due to having family alum

Hi guys! For the people going to the preview day this weekend, I was curious if anyone would be willing to give me a ride in the morning? I am staying w a family member who lives 20 min away from the school, and they won’t be home in the morning. I am out of state so won’t have a car. I could definitely Uber if I have to I’m just paranoid about none being available at that time. If you are willing to help me out, just send me a private message! I can pay you too for your help!! Thanks so much!! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II stoked☺️.
Wish the turn around to complete the interview wasn’t so quick tho😫

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II stoked☺️.
Wish the turn around to complete the interview wasn’t so quick tho😫
Congrats! Are you also OOS? I am religiously following this thread now lol

Congrats @SkiTheGhee0726 !! Man I was complete early August...... I hope they show Ohio-Nevadans some love :cryi::eek:o_O:rofl:

Last edited:
Received my OOS II this morning as well, my second II of the season! Woohoo! :)

Did all of the OOS interview invites go out in that one batch or do we think there is a chance more could be sent out in coming weeks?

• Hmm
Well yikes I guess that means Well all know for sure by tomorrow… best of luck all!

By Dec 1st as in before, on, or by the end of??

Everyone, I'm really sorry to add to the stress any more. I know there's a lot of anxiety that comes with these kind decision dates and I try my best to avoid creating a panic.

Tomorrow (December 1) is the last day you could get an interview invite as an OOS applicant. We're currently in the process of sending out the "declined to interview" responses as well. It's always our preference to communicate with you about your individual applications directly through email, and to avoid the announcement of these kind of dates over SDN. This is especially true before applicants have first had the chance to hear directly from admissions with a decision.

Again, I sympathize with you all because I remember all to well the stress of the application cycles I had to go through (twice). The fact of the matter is that every single one of you is likely more than qualified to be in the Class of 2026, and we get roughly as many completed OOS secondaries as we do for IS, but for only 1/6 of the allotted seats. The OOS application cycle is tough...

However, I want to be transparent with you all and to do my best to share everything with you that I'm allowed to. If you have any questions, concerns, comments, etc. feel free to shoot me a private message. I'll always try to get back to you in a reasonable time frame. Best of luck to you all!

Does anyone know when decisions will be sent out to OOS applicants who already interviewed?

Does anyone know when decisions will be sent out to OOS applicants who already interviewed?
They review files in batches. Decisions come out on the 15th of Dec, Jan, Feb.

Just adding to what @ftdr2021 has said, we will also be sending out decisions in March. So the 15th of December, January, February, and March. And since January 15th is a Saturday, you can expect those decisions to be sent out on Friday the 14th.

Manifesting positive vibes for good news on the 15th! Who's with me?

Reactions: 6 users
Keep the faith! And remember, no news is still good news. They're still looking at your app and you're still in the race!

Additionally, I wanted to remind everyone that our last applicant preview event is this Thursday from 4:30-7:00 on Zoom. If you were interviewed (or recieved an interview invite) you should've also gotten an email about these events. This is our way of trying to explain to you what UNR med is all about since you can't come hang out with us in person for interviews. It's also our chance as current students to be very candid with you about everything we love about the school, and about the things we're not so in love with. There will be some talks on curriculum, our values, volunteering and research opportunities, the Renown merger, and break out rooms with med students a(nd no admin). The last two events have been a ton of fun, so I hope to see and meet a bunch of you there!

Reactions: 4 users
Pre II rejection. Good luck future docs!

• Care
Big thank you to the admissions team and current students! The applicant preview last night was awesome 😊

Big thank you to the admissions team and current students! The applicant preview last night was awesome 😊
Glad you enjoyed it!

For those who are admitted, we plan to do similar events in the spring, but with an emphasis on spending more time talking to more current students in an unscripted fashion like we did in the breakout rooms.

Didn’t get any form. What is the form for?
It was a confidentiality form. The email worded it like if you don't sign it then your file won't be reviewed.