2020-2021 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bummer. Just got the rejection. Interviewed late October. LM 75.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Got the R, interviewed early Oct. Bummed but good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone in the same WL boat as me, I emailed admissions some questions. They told me that:

•there are separate waitlists for IS and OOS
•Most movement occurs April 15th when people chose their top three schools and April 30th when they pick their school
•Letters of update and the like aren’t accepted (I guess our spot in the waitlist is set)

I feel like I want to ask how many they have on each waitlist but I’m not sure they’ll tell me :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone in the same WL boat as me, I emailed admissions some questions. They told me that:

•Most movement occurs April 15th when people chose their top three schools and April 30th when they pick their school
•Letters of update and the like aren’t accepted (I guess our spot in the waitlist is set)

I feel like I want to ask how many they have on each waitlist but I’m not sure they’ll tell me
Last year sometime in April they told applicants if they were top, middle, or bottom third. Then in May they told applicants what their actual number was. And you're correct, they won't tell you how many are on each waitlist. I know it sucks right now, but realize that there's usually movement once people start finalizing schools and turning down other acceptances.

I feel like I want to ask how many they have on each waitlist but I’m not sure they’ll tell me :confused:
Do you have any idea how the movement between the two waitlists work? Like, do they pull one out of state for every 5 instate, etc etc? I have so many questions :(

Do you have any idea how the movement between the two waitlists work? Like, do they pull one out of state for every 5 instate, etc etc? I have so many questions :(
I'm almost positive that if in-state applicants decide to go somewhere else and withdraw, they'll pull from the in-state waitlist. If OOS applicants withdraw, they'll pull from the OOS waitlist. They try hard to keep their class at no more than 10% OOS.

Withdrew from the waitlist to attend elsewhere! Good luck everyone else trying to make it off the list!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost positive that if in-state applicants decide to go somewhere else and withdraw, they'll pull from the in-state waitlist. If OOS applicants withdraw, they'll pull from the OOS waitlist. They try hard to keep their class at no more than 10% OOS.
Thanks for the information. As a current medical student yourself, do you have any opinion on what the movement of the waitlist will look like this year? Significant movement? or more similar to last year due to COVID?

Thanks for the information. As a current medical student yourself, do you have any opinion on what the movement of the waitlist will look like this year? Significant movement? or more similar to last year due to COVID?
I really have no idea what that waitlist is going to do this year, and I wish I did. I heard a rumor that about 2-3 years ago they went through practically every single waitlist spot. Then last year, my friend from OOS (with strong ties) applied and was waitlisted. There was very little movement and eventually, she didn't get into the class of 2024. However, she reapplied and got into the class of 2025. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it varies a lot from year to year and that it's tough to predict, especially in a year where med school apps across the country are soaring.

You can expect some waitlist movement on April 15th when applicants have to narrow their offers down to 3 schools. And usually more movement again on April 30th-May 1st when applicants have to commit to one school. It's really luck of the draw though as to whether these will be IS or OOS applicants that deline their offers. Best of luck and don't give up yet! You never know if you're going to be that guy/gal who gets a call in June or even later.

Anyone else super nervous for tomorrow? I know it's not much but knowing where I stand on the waitlist would be GREAT

(also if anyone wants to email and see how many are on the OOS waitlist now that interviews are done I'd be very grateful :D)

Anyone else super nervous for tomorrow? I know it's not much but knowing where I stand on the waitlist would be GREAT

(also if anyone wants to email and see how many are on the OOS waitlist now that interviews are done I'd be very grateful :D)
Lol hell yes! I was talking to a non-premed friend about that and was speculating as to why I think I’m in a certain tier and he called me out on my overthinking 😂 which he is not wrong about! Best you could do is type up that email now and schedule it to send tomorrow 8am sharp and just wait!

Lol hell yes! I was talking to a non-premed friend about that and was speculating as to why I think I’m in a certain tier and he called me out on my overthinking 😂 which he is not wrong about! Best you could do is type up that email now and schedule it to send tomorrow 8am sharp and just wait!
You read my mind 😂

Top-third IS waitlist :) Fingers crossed for WL movement!

Reactions: 2 users
*Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong about this, and each school will be affected differently.*

This is just my opinion, but I’m predicting intergalactic-level waitlist movement across a lot of schools this year. Average number of applications are way up this year because interviews were all virtual. Applicants applied to a lot more schools than they would have, and it’s unlikely that there were many interview invitations that were turned down this year, with not having to pay for flights/hotels/multiple days of travel, etc. A lot of applicants are holding multiple acceptances. So while they all have to end up somewhere, I think there is good chance that we see a tsunami of waitlist movement shortly after April 15 and April 30. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if UNR accepts letters of intent?
I believe so, but it won't affect your waitlist position at all (I'm assuming you're waitlisted). You've already been ranked and an unbinding letter from an applicant won't mean much because they know that every applicant wants that seat. If you don't get in this time around, my advice is to apply as early decision when you re-apply. That shows them that you're serious about attending their school over others.

I believe so, but it won't affect your waitlist position at all (I'm assuming you're waitlisted). You've already been ranked and an unbinding letter from an applicant won't mean much because they know that every applicant wants that seat. If you don't get in this time around, my advice is to apply as early decision when you re-apply. That shows them that you're serious about attending their school over others.
Thanks for the tip! I am currently holding an A from a DO school, but of course I am definitely holding out for this school. Do you know how much WL movement has occurred for this school in the past?

Thanks for the tip! I am currently holding an A from a DO school, but of course I am definitely holding out for this school. Do you know how much WL movement has occurred for this school in the past?
Congrats on the A--you're gonna be a doctor!! Predicting the waitlist is tough any year, but it's even more complicated this year. I know that in one of the recent years, nearly all, if not every single person on the WL was offered a spot in the class. However, I don't believe that there was much movement at all last year. It varies a lot. Also, do realize that UNR has separate IS and OOS waitlists. They pull from the respective WL whenever an applicant declines their offer. I think UNR med has become more desirable of a school over the last few years and there's probably less waitlist movement now than 5 years ago, but thats just my guess!

It definitely doesn't hurt to hold out hope to see if you get off the waitlist! Especially with the April 15th "Plan to Enroll" and the April 30th "Commit to Enroll" deadlines come. There's typically noticeable movement right around these dates, but significantly less movement as we get into the summer months. Best of luck and congrats again!

Congrats on the A--you're gonna be a doctor!! Predicting the waitlist is tough any year, but it's even more complicated this year. I know that in one of the recent years, nearly all, if not every single person on the WL was offered a spot in the class. However, I don't believe that there was much movement at all last year. It varies a lot. Also, do realize that UNR has separate IS and OOS waitlists. They pull from the respective WL whenever an applicant declines their offer. I think UNR med has become more desirable of a school over the last few years and there's probably less waitlist movement now than 5 years ago, but thats just my guess!

It definitely doesn't hurt to hold out hope to see if you get off the waitlist! Especially with the April 15th "Plan to Enroll" and the April 30th "Commit to Enroll" deadlines come. There's typically noticeable movement right around these dates, but significantly less movement as we get into the summer months. Best of luck and congrats again!
Thank you so much for the in-depth response!! Hopefully I will get to join you guys one day, but I am grateful for the acceptance I have! Hope you continue to be successful in your endeavors!

Hi, new to the site but wanted to make an account to ask if anyone who recieved an R has gotten the email from UNR to schedule a feedback meeting? I remember in the email, there was an attachment stating there’d be an email on or near April 1st to schedule one. Been having irritational nightmares that I missed it or they forgot about me haha.

Hi, new to the site but wanted to make an account to ask if anyone who recieved an R has gotten the email from UNR to schedule a feedback meeting? I remember in the email, there was an attachment stating there’d be an email on or near April 1st to schedule one. Been having irritational nightmares that I missed it or they forgot about me haha.
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the R. I'd wait another week-ish, but if you don't get an email, feel free to shoot admissions an email asking if they still plan to offer those meetings. They're friendly people and are there to answer your questions! Try not to focus on the past too much--trust me, I remember those feelings all too well. Take an honest look at your application and try to see where it'd be best to make improvements. Best of luck next time you apply!

Hello MS1s, I'm a MS4 at UNR who has housing available. It's in an apartment complex and a lot of med students live here. Let me know if youre interested.

Just got the A rn! Got off the WL. Top third IS. Very excited about this ! Going to withdraw from my other WL.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think are the chances of getting off of the WL if I am in the top 5 of the IS WL?

Accepted off the OOS waitlist! I am screamingggggg, super excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was number 3 on the waitlist as of May 4th and I was just accepted! Good luck everyone!

I am withdrawing my acceptance from UNR. I hope it goes to one of you fabulous sdn-ers. :) ❤️

Are there any in-state acceptances in here still waiting to hear from other schools?