2022-2023 Nevada, Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @brbcrying610 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Nevada, Reno Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, discuss any important connections or motives for pursuing your medical education in Northern Nevada, and share how you anticipate contributing to UNR Med’s mission and our vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)

2. Reflect on an experience when you contributed to the success of a team. Describe how the skills, attributes, and strengths exhibited during this experience have prepared you to contribute to an inclusive and collaborative learning environment at UNR Med. (300 words)

3. Describe a time when you encountered a challenge that required you to use your critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution. Discuss the successes or failures of your response, and what you may or may not do in the future, in a similar situation. (300 words)

4. Nevada, like many states, faces healthcare challenges that include health disparities among our underserved and vulnerable populations. Describe a service or life experience where you directly interacted with individuals from these groups, discuss what you learned from the experience, and describe how the experience has prepared you to be a medical student. (300 words)

5. Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)

6. OPTIONAL: You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long did it take for in state applicants to receive secondaries after verification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary 7/12 as an OOS applicant. Here are the questions:

1. Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, discuss any important connections or motives for pursuing your medical education in Northern Nevada, and share how you anticipate contributing to UNR Med’s mission and our vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)

2. Reflect on an experience when you contributed to the success of a team. Describe how the skills, attributes, and strengths exhibited during this experience have prepared you to contribute to an inclusive and collaborative learning environment at UNR Med. (300 words)

3. Describe a time when you encountered a challenge that required you to use your critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution. Discuss the successes or failures of your response, and what you may or may not do in the future, in a similar situation. (300 words)

4. Nevada, like many states, faces healthcare challenges that include health disparities among our underserved and vulnerable populations. Describe a service or life experience where you directly interacted with individuals from these groups, discuss what you learned from the experience, and describe how the experience has prepared you to be a medical student. (300 words)

5. Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)

6. OPTIONAL: You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. (500 words)

@wysdoc

Received my secondary 7/12 as an OOS applicant. Here are the questions:

@wysdoc
When was your app verified? Also are you early decision?

OOS RD Secondary Received today 7/19.

I also have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. My undergrad school was on a quarter system and I only did one quarter of Biochemistry (per school requirements, as did everyone that was a Bio major). According to the requirements section, it only satisfies 2.7/3.0 credits. Does anyone have an idea if this precludes me from consideration? I also emailed the adcom but received an auto-response that there is a high volume of emails and it may take a while to hear back. Thanks in advance.

FOLLOW UP: adcom emailed me back and said that they round up, so as long as you are within 0.5 of the requirement, it is considered fulfilled!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OOS RD Secondary Received today 7/19.

I also have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. My undergrad school was on a quarter system and I only did one quarter of Biochemistry (per school requirements, as did everyone that was a Bio major). According to the requirements section, it only satisfies 2.7/3.0 credits. Does anyone have an idea if this precludes me from consideration? I also emailed the adcom but received an auto-response that there is a high volume of emails and it may take a while to hear back. Thanks in advance.
You can reach out, but the basic biochem course at UNR is 4 semester credits so it’s significantly few than that. Just ask them to be sure.

Reactions: 1 user
You can reach out, but the basic biochem course at UNR is 4 semester credits so it’s significantly few than that. Just ask them to be sure.
Will do. Hopefully they accept 1 quarter of biochem + 1 quarter of genetics or molecular bio like some other schools do. Thanks for the response.

Question about the ALTUS SUITE. I received my secondary email today and it says I have 7 days to complete it. I have not yet taken the ALTUS assessment, even if I took it tomorrow their website says it takes a few weeks to process the scores. Are you allowed to submit your secondary application with the ALTUS scores still pending?

The website is vague about an ALTUS deadline of October but doesn't address the situation where you have already received your secondary invite.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was actually a lot of fun don't let it psyche you out if it is your first of the cycle!

The interview was actually a lot of fun don't let it psyche you out if it is your first of the cycle!
I appreciate you saying this! Any general advice on how to prepare for the MMI?

Last edited:
I appreciate you saying this! Any tips for how to prepare for the MMI?
Ya, don’t stress at all. I’m not going to share anything or tips for the interview because of the confidentiality agreement. Just don’t freak yourself out about it, it wasn’t bad at all. Just be authentically you and there won’t be a problem.

Ya, don’t stress at all. I’m not going to share anything or tips for the interview because of the confidentiality agreement. Just don’t freak yourself out about it, it wasn’t bad at all. Just be authentically you and there won’t be a problem.
Gotcha. Thank you!

dang these are early interviews. I am OOS with ties and took a while to get secondary :(.

dang these are early interviews. I am OOS with ties and took a while to get secondary :(.
Ya, they really want to accept Nevada residents who are non-trad with diverse experiences.

I submitted on 7/20 and still have not received a secondary should I contact them? I'm OOS with ties to Nevada

Hello everyone,

I am a current MS2 at UNRSOM and a UNR Admissions Representative for SDN. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the admissions process/application cycle. I will do my best to promptly reply to your questions, however please keep in mind that the school year is active and can get time consuming.

Best of luck to you all!

-UNR Admissions Rep

Hello everyone,

I am a current MS2 at UNRSOM and a UNR Admissions Representative for SDN. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the admissions process/application cycle. I will do my best to promptly reply to your questions, however please keep in mind that the school year is active and can get time consuming.

Best of luck to you all!

-UNR Admissions Rep
Thank you for your help. who will review the MMI interview videos once the school receives them ? what percentage of the entire selection process it carries to make the decision? Thanks again

Hello everyone,

Best of luck to you all!

-UNR Admissions Rep
Hey I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions! It's not about admissions, but I'd love to hear about the school culture and vibe between fellow students as well as students and faculty. Additionally, how accessible is research to medical students looking to get involved with it? Thank you!

Thank you for your help. who will review the MMI interview videos once the school receives them ? what percentage of the entire selection process it carries to make the decision? Thanks again
Great questions! MMI interviews are reviewed by many different people including community physicians, medical students, members and staff at the medical school and University employees, all of whom have been trained to interview. This gives the school an opportunity to have many people from various backgrounds a chance to take a 360 view of your interviews.

The percentage of those who make it to decision varies between whether an applicant is IS or OOS along with if the applicant is an ED applicant.

Hey I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions! It's not about admissions, but I'd love to hear about the school culture and vibe between fellow students as well as students and faculty. Additionally, how accessible is research to medical students looking to get involved with it? Thank you!
Love this question. The overall school culture/vibe is honestly really easy going. I would say one of the biggest advantages of going to UNR Med is having smaller sized classes which ensures that you are heard and helped out whenever needed. Besides that, I would say that fellow students get along with each other great, we have people from all different backgrounds and walks of life and everyone seems to mesh really well together. The student-faculty relationship is really great too. I would say that your experience is molded by however much you put into it, which I think is great so you can choose your own pace of things if that makes sense.

Research is very accessible! Our medical school has an entire office dedicated to medical research which can aid you finding certain specialty specific research opportunities. Most of my fellow class members have found multiple research projects to be a part of. Hope that helps!

Love this question. The overall school culture/vibe is honestly really easy going. I would say one of the biggest advantages of going to UNR Med is having smaller sized classes which ensures that you are heard and helped out whenever needed. Besides that, I would say that fellow students get along with each other great, we have people from all different backgrounds and walks of life and everyone seems to mesh really well together. The student-faculty relationship is really great too. I would say that your experience is molded by however much you put into it, which I think is great so you can choose your own pace of things if that makes sense.

Research is very accessible! Our medical school has an entire office dedicated to medical research which can aid you finding certain specialty specific research opportunities. Most of my fellow class members have found multiple research projects to be a part of. Hope that helps!
That's great to hear. I'd be thrilled to attend UNR Med. Thanks for your insight!

Great questions! MMI interviews are reviewed by many different people including community physicians, medical students, members and staff at the medical school and University employees, all of whom have been trained to interview. This gives the school an opportunity to have many people fromn
d
The percentage of those who make it to decision varies between whether an applicant is IS or OOS along with if the applicant is an ED applicant.
thank you for your reply. When do they make decision and start sending acceptance for in state students and not ED.

thank you for your reply. When do they make decision and start sending acceptance for in state students and not ED.
Acceptances for all students aside from ED are sent in batches after each application review. The decisions are sent out on approximately the 20th of every month starting November.

Quick question: How late are interviews sent out? I am an in-state applicant who finished the secondary application earlier in the month, but I am still waiting for my CASPer scores to be transmitted to UNR Med (which I expect to occur within the next week or so). Am I too late?

Acceptances for all students aside from ED are sent in batches after each application review. The decisions are sent out on approximately the 20th of every month starting November.
MSAR says that UNR Med begins sending out RD acceptances on December 15th. Is this incorrect?

Quick question: How late are interviews sent out? I am an in-state applicant who finished the secondary application earlier in the month, but I am still waiting for my CASPer scores to be transmitted to UNR Med (which I expect to occur within the next week or so). Am I too late?
Hey there!

Interview invitations will all be sent out by December 1. We send out interview invitations in batches so that way those that evaluate the interviews will give everyone an individualized review :) - Don't stress, you are not too late!

MSAR says that UNR Med begins sending out RD acceptances on December 15th. Is this incorrect?
Hi Evanc17, MSAR is accurate! The admissions committee is working hard to ensure we send decision letters as soon as they are readily available. RD acceptances have traditionally been sent out on or around the December date and that can still be expected for this year. Sorry to cause any confusion!

Hey everyone, just wanted to send a small update for those applying early decision! :) We are beginning to send out decisions slowly so keep an eye out for those :) If you don’t hear back this month, there is no need to worry as we are reviewing in batches and all ED applicants will hear back no later than October 1st :)

I just got an interview invitation for UNR. It's my first II, and I'm stoked! This is one of the schools at the top of my list!! IS

Reactions: 4 users
Hey there!

Interview invitations will all be sent out by December 1. We send out interview invitations in batches so that way those that evaluate the interviews will give everyone an individualized review :) - Don't stress, you are not too late!
You were right! No stress. I received the interview invitation today. Thanks for getting back to me!

Last edited:
interview complete! Now we wait

hi unr rep, any information about the timeline for the sending acceptances? thanks

hi unr rep, any information about the timeline for the sending acceptances? thanks
Hi there!

All decision notifications, including waitlist notifications, are sent monthly via email on or near December 15, January 15, February 15 and March 15. Since January 15th falls on a Sunday, we will try and send them out the Friday before.

Hope that helps!

-UNR Med Admissions Rep

Hi there!

All decision notifications, including waitlist notifications, are sent monthly via email on or near December 15, January 15, February 15 and March 15. Since January 15th falls on a Sunday, we will try and send them out the Friday before.

Hope that helps!

-UNR Med Admissions Rep
Thank u

Hi there!

Hope that helps!

-UNR Med Admissions Rep
Hello there!

I was talking with a friend who also applied, and he mentioned the email that was sent 11 Oct had the information below listed in the FAQ section. Can you please verify if we can anticipate hearing back in November as the email said? or near 15 December as your previous message said?

When will I receive a decision notification?
To best facilitate an individual, comprehensive, and balanced review of each application, the Admissions Executive Committee reviews a percentage of the applicant pool each month from November to March. Decision notifications are sent monthly and are currently scheduled for 5:00pm PST on November 23, December 20, January 20, and February 20 with some waitlist notifications potentially going out on March 20. Given the time involved in this process, please remember that "no news, is good news."

Hello there!

I was talking with a friend who also applied, and he mentioned the email that was sent 11 Oct had the information below listed in the FAQ section. Can you please verify if we can anticipate hearing back in November as the email said? or near 15 December as your previous message said?
I spoke to Tamara, the director of admissions earlier this week and she mentioned the committee would get together Nov 18th and first decisions would come around Nov 21st (typically on the 20th of every month)

Hello everyone,

Best of luck to you all!

-UNR Admissions Rep
Hi!
I had my interview last week and spoke with an admissions rep afterwards. They explained on Dec 1, Feb 1, March 1 are when decisions are released because UNR Med is trying to do it earlier than last year.
I read somewhere on the forum that it’s the same as last year (the 15th of those months).
Are you able to say which date it is?
Thank you!

Hi!
I had my interview last week and spoke with an admissions rep afterwards. They explained on Dec 1, Feb 1, March 1 are when decisions are released because UNR Med is trying to do it earlier than last year.
I read somewhere on the forum that it’s the same as last year (the 15th of those months).
Are you able to say which date it is?
Thank you!
Hello! After speaking with the admissions team, the timeline is as follows: we will be releasing on the 20th of each month this year except November and March as they fall on a holiday and a weekend, those months they will be released on the 21st :)

Hope that helps! Best of luck!

-UNR Admissions Rep

I spoke to Tamara, the director of admissions earlier this week and she mentioned the committee would get together Nov 18th and first decisions would come around Nov 21st (typically on the 20th of every month)
Yes, thank you for clarifying that with everyone!