2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prematched as well! Via email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Feelsbad. I spent my weekend filming and editing that bad boy. I might submit to the academy for an Oscar nomination.
I think UTRGV has a video secondary because Dell, which started up as a new school at the same time, had one. If they don’t watch it and use it for evaluation, they should drop it off.

+1

Feelsbad. I spent my weekend filming and editing that bad boy. I might submit to the academy for an Oscar nomination.

Lol yeah mine took about 30 takes + editing before I got it how I wanted it. Bummer it didn’t even get a look!

Reactions: 1 users
II received today, complete early July. Will not attend, hoping it goes to one of you all. Best of Luck!

Quick question: how do people who live in the Valley pronounce Rio Grande? In my part of Texas, pretty much everyone says "Rio Grand", even Spanish speakers (at least when speaking to an English speaker). Or do people just avoid the issue by saying UTRGV?

Quick question: how do people who live in the Valley pronounce Rio Grande? In my part of Texas, pretty much everyone says "Rio Grand", even Spanish speakers (at least when speaking to an English speaker). Or do people just avoid the issue by saying UTRGV?

A lot of students who I interviewed with said Rio Grand, but some of the medical students who gave us tours said Rio Grande. I would probably stick with saying UTRGV so you don't lose sleep over it lol

A lot of students who I interviewed with said Rio Grand, but some of the medical students who gave us tours said Rio Grande. I would probably stick with saying UTRGV so you don't lose sleep over it lol
@Firkin you can say Rio Grande ( rio gran-deh or day) but a lot of us just say "the RGV" or "the valley" .

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed here recently and the 'pending actions' section of the menu for school rank preference is not available to me. Am I the only one with this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here recently and the 'pending actions' section of the menu for school rank preference is not available to me. Am I the only one with this issue?
it took like a month or so for it to show up on mine

Reactions: 1 user
To those waiting on interview, has your been video been viewed? About up until when does UTRGV send IIs?

To those waiting on interview, has your been video been viewed? About up until when does UTRGV send IIs?

They never bothered to look at it. I almost feel like calling and asking why they sent me secondary, asked me to pay a fee, and make me make a video if they were never going to look at it.

Yeah my video has not been viewed either. Makes me think they didn’t even read the rest of my secondary. I guess it’s possible they haven’t gotten to it yet, idk.

They never bothered to look at it. I almost feel like calling and asking why they sent me secondary, asked me to pay a fee, and make me make a video if they were never going to look at it.
mine was looked at only after I interviewed.

• Haha
I remember seeing that I got a view the same day they sent me an II.

Btw, if y’all check the Creator Studio beta or whatever it is called now you can see where your views come from and when you got them. If the views are from UTRGV it will say the website name.

I remember seeing that I got a view the same day they sent me an II.

Btw, if y’all check the Creator Studio beta or whatever it is called now you can see where your views come from and when you got them. If the views are from UTRGV it will say the website name.

I just checked the creator studio and last cycle my video was viewed the 2 days before my interview then again the day of my interview. This cycle it was viewed before I received my II. There’s no set pattern for when it’s viewed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Negative. The next committee review is 11/14 so might be silence until then.

II received today, complete early July. Will not attend, hoping it goes to one of you all. Best of Luck!

Do you know what dates were available? Sitting on no interviews from texas so far and wondering if there's any hope left.

Do you know what dates were available? Sitting on no interviews from texas so far and wondering if there's any hope left.

I got an II today, available dates were December 6th and 9th. Don’t give up hope, you’re still in it!

Hey super late notice but if anyone wants to get dinner tonight, another applicant and I are going to Khan’s Grill between 6:30-7. It’s across the street from UTRGV.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

So I interviewed on September 9th, and when I interviewed, Betty told me she would be getting back to me on October 15th. But I havent heard anything, anyone else in this position?

Reactions: 3 users
So I interviewed on September 9th, and when I interviewed, Betty told me she would be getting back to me on October 15th. But I havent heard anything, anyone else in this position?
I interviewed on October 14th and Betty told me that the earliest we can hear back is Oct 31st. I assume that there will be more prematches going out on Nov 15th across all Texas schools since that was last year's prematch date, but who really knows haha.

I interviewed on October 14th and Betty told me that the earliest we can hear back is Oct 31st. I assume that there will be more prematches going out on Nov 15th across all Texas schools since that was last year's prematch date, but who really knows haha.
Im not In-state so I dont think I participate in the match system. Did she mention anything for out of state students?

Im not In-state so I dont think I participate in the match system. Did she mention anything for out of state students?

I’m OOS as well and she said for OOS students, it’s basically a rolling admissions process where we can hear from anywhere in between when we interview to the first day of classes

Just an update for others who may be curious. It is finally showing up on my TMDSAS account. I noticed it today but it may have been a day or two sooner.

Interviewed here on October 18th and was told they would reach out by Oct.31st to let us know anything. I haven't heard anything back. Does that mean I got waitlisted? Should I contact them?

Interviewed here on October 18th and was told they would reach out by Oct.31st to let us know anything. I haven't heard anything back. Does that mean I got waitlisted? Should I contact them?
They are really really bad at getting back to people. Its pretty unprofessional... I would give them a call and speak to Betty Monfort or Mayra Martinez. They would have the most updated info. If you speak to the reception admin, they might give you the wrong info (speaking from personal experience here)

There will be no wait list created until some time after Match Day (Feb 3).
This empty reassurance you were made is just another example of how UTRGV, in an effort to be nice, tends to tell applicants what they want to hear. Unfortunately it isn’t so nice when they do not follow through on their promises.

I interviewed Oct 14th and they also told me this... I'm assuming that Texas med schools will release more prematches this friday, but if you decide to contact them do you mind telling us what they say?

I interviewed Oct 14th and they also told me this... I'm assuming that Texas med schools will release more prematches this friday, but if you decide to contact them do you mind telling us what they say?
I contacted them last week. I spoke to Betty Monfort and she told me that I was waitlisted. She said that they would release these wait list updates and send it to applicants the first week of December. I guess if you wanted to know beforehand, just call. I interviewed in September btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
They are really really bad at getting back to people. Its pretty unprofessional... I would give them a call and speak to Betty Monfort or Mayra Martinez. They would have the most updated info. If you speak to the reception admin, they might give you the wrong info (speaking from personal experience here)
Thanks. Will give them a call. Was checking my email round the clock hoping for something.

I will contact tomorrow and let you know

I contacted them last week. I spoke to Betty Monfort and she told me that I was waitlisted. She said that they would release these wait list updates and send it to applicants the first week of December. I guess if you wanted to know beforehand, just call. I interviewed in September btw.
Gotcha. I guess the ppl that were accepted were notified and those that weren’t will wait to hear that we were put on the waitlist

I think UTRGV has a video secondary because Dell, which started up as a new school at the same time, had one. If they don’t watch it and use it for evaluation, they should drop it off.
The few AdCom members I've "interrogated" about this [in general, no confidential information exchanged, mind you] said that although they were somewhat ambivalent about trying them out at first, they have come to like the videos. Those with whom I spoke said that they aren't evaluating "production quality" [as I see some applicants fear] so much as trying to get a better "feel" for the applicant -- and that they are very useful for that. A couple of members echoed this for applicants who they personally did not interview. I imagine that different AdCom members weigh the videos, like other components of the application package, differently based on personal experiences and preferences, though.

The few AdCom members I've "interrogated" about this [in general, no confidential information exchanged, mind you] said that although they were somewhat ambivalent about trying them out at first, they have come to like the videos. Those with whom I spoke said that they aren't evaluating "production quality" [as I see some applicants fear] so much as trying to get a better "feel" for the applicant -- and that they are very useful for that. A couple of members echoed this for applicants who they personally did not interview. I imagine that different AdCom members weigh the videos, like other components of the application package, differently based on personal experiences and preferences, though.

Have any mentioned whether they skip the video altogether? I was complete early July and, apart from my views, there aren't any new views on my video.