2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any insight into admissions process at UTRGV? Congrats to those that received interviews, but I have seen a lot lately where people got an interview just a few days after submitting secondary, while others haven’t even gotten a view on their video after months?

Completed applications are randomly assigned to ADCOM members. If your video hasn't been viewed then I assume your application hasn't been reviewed at all

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder how many people interview in one day? And is it one on one?

I wonder if these questions are appropriate to email them about?
@olayalas's deduction in reply to your question was correct. I typically see about 20 applicants having coffee, donuts, etc. prior to the interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Video has yet to be viewed.. Any recent movement?

who is interviewing this monday?? See ya'll there!

Reactions: 2 users
For the video portion, do I just dress professionally, sit at a desk in a quiet room with nothing distracting, and just answer the question like an interview?

For the video portion, do I just dress professionally, sit at a desk in a quiet room with nothing distracting, and just answer the question like an interview?
yes this is what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who've already interviewed at UTRGV, did they share stats for the Entering Class Profile of 2023? It's still not available on the school website. I'm just curious.

For those who've already interviewed at UTRGV, did they share stats for the Entering Class Profile of 2023? It's still not available on the school website. I'm just curious.
  • The students of the Class of 2023 include 38 percent Hispanic, 23.5 percent Asian/Indian, 23.5 percent white and 15 percent African American.
  • The class has an average MCAT score in the 73rd percentile nationwide, a grade point average of 3.61, and a BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) grade point average of 3.51.

Is there a social the night before the interview? I haven't received any info regarding one.

Last edited:
MSAR says the mcat was a 508
GPAs were about 3.58 for overall and 3.42 for science
Is there a social the night before the interview? I haven't receive any info regarding one.
No there is not, at least there was not one for my interview

• The students of the Class of 2023 include 38 percent Hispanic, 23.5 percent Asian/Indian, 23.5 percent white and 15 percent African American.
  • The class has an average MCAT score in the 73rd percentile nationwide, a grade point average of 3.61, and a BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) grade point average of 3.51.
I swear I read somewhere UT RGV has the most diverse class in Texas.

Does anyone follow the youtube account Beards & Scrubs? He is a current med student at UT RGV! He posts great videos that gives you more insight into UT RGV and medical school itself

Reactions: 2 users
II right now. App completed on 9/6. Video viewed once a few days later. I also interviewed here last year but was waitlisted . Out of the available interview days (11/1, 11/2, 11/4) I picked 11/4! So excited because I really liked this school!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone follow the youtube account Beards & Scrubs? He is a current med student at UT RGV! He posts great videos that gives you more insight into UT RGV and medical school itself
I was Juat accepted into this school over the summer and Shawn’s videos really helped me prior to admission. Truly recommend watching his videos. Eapecially the do’s and don’t of applying to med school

I was Juat accepted into this school over the summer and Shawn’s videos really helped me prior to admission. Truly recommend watching his videos. Eapecially the do’s and don’t of applying to med school
yes hes great! hasnt been posting in a while but he is giving me reasons to attend!

Reactions: 1 user
So I believe the ADCOM has started meeting for post-II applicant review because my video has gotten a number of views in the past week haha

Reactions: 4 users
To those that received an II, what was the timeline from when your video was watched until you got an interview?

Wow! Congrats to him!
You might have heard wrong, @Heclecia123, because the application for residencies for next year just opened up yesterday. But maybe he just started a surgical rotation or sent in his surgery residency applications. Match Day for residencies will be March 20, 2020 so it won't be long until current MS4s know where they will train.

When do interviews invites for Texas schools usually stop? I haven’t heard back from any Texas school yet and I’m a bit worried. I was complete everywhere end of July. IS LM 65

Last edited:
When do interviews for Texas schools usually stop? I haven’t heard back from any Texas school yet and I’m a bit worried. I was complete everywhere end of July. IS LM 65
Most through end of December, a few to January, and Baylor always has 1 Feb interview day

Last edited:
You might have heard wrong, @Heclecia123, because the application for residencies for next year just opened up yesterday. But maybe he just started a surgical rotation or sent in his surgery residency applications. Match Day for residencies will be March 20, 2020 so it won't be long until current MS4s know where they will train.
Oh my mistake. That might have been what I read!

Also, are you a current student at the SOM?

Congratulation to all that receive II! I submitted my secondary application on August 17th, no invitation yet, hope to receive good news soon. Stay positive everyone !

I’m nearing 3 months with my video not being viewed. Is there a possibility that your app could just not be considered/viewed at all? I’m within their average acceptance stats and none of my stats are high enough to make them yield protect against me(if they even do that). Just super discouraging as I have strong ties to the valley.

II earlier today. Complete 8/7.

I can't tell exactly when my videos were viewed by adcoms because I can't differentiate the number of personal views from those of adcoms lol.

Does anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is?
at the interview, they said among the ~400 interviewees, only 4 were rejected and the rest were either accepted or put on the waitlist last year. they also mentioned that 60% of matriculants were from the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
at the interview, they said among the ~400 interviewees, only 4 were rejected and the rest were either accepted or put on the waitlist last year. they also mentioned that 60% of matriculants were from the waitlist!

Wow, those are really good numbers!! I'm really excited about the opportunity here! Would feel bad to be outright rejected here post-interview lol

Video finally got viewed. Complete late July. Is it good sign if your entire video length got viewed or is that just standard practice?

Video finally got viewed. Complete late July. Is it good sign if your entire video length got viewed or is that just standard practice?

I believe it’s just standard practice. But it’s a good sign your vid got viewed! It means you might receive an II soon if they liked your app.

II today, complete 3 months ago and still haven't had my video viewed. Not complaining, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what the adcom does

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who interviewed here had UTRGV appear on TMDSAS for ranking?

Just got a II today as well. IS LizzyM 77 and WARS of 75. I am a pretty unbalanced applicant with a 524 MCAT and 3.49 cGPA but a very strong final two years. Earliest date I have is Nov 1st.

Reactions: 3 users