2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were 35 on my date. Also thought the number was 350 over 10 interviewv dates lol.

They seem to have increased it to 40 tho. But they like having groups of five
I think it must vary. The e-mail for the secondary said 350 I believe but then one of the presenters said 360. It all depends on if they identify enough people that fit their specific vision I would imagine.

Members don't see this ad.

About 40 as well. 360 total interviews roughly. 4 dates have gone. That leaves at least 5 dates left based on those numbers. I think they mentioned there would be 4 interview dates left after prematch opens including one in January

There are 2 interview dates left in Oct, 2 left in Nov, 2 in Dec, and 1 in Jan. So, 7 interview days remaining.

I think it must vary. The e-mail for the secondary said 350 I believe but then one of the presenters said 360. It all depends on if they identify enough people that fit their specific vision I would imagine.

I think this varies on a number of things-- most importantly the availability of people to interview for the one-on-one component. I'm sure getting like 20 faculty members to give up a large portion of their day to interview is a scheduling nightmare. Also, availability of the people interviewing, space to interview people, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Conflicted on which one to rank higher, DMS or UTMB.

denny-win.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Dell for me after both interview days tbh

Same. I only have UTSW (pending my interview day there) and maybe McGovern above Dell currently. Tbh, A lot will depend on if i get prematch offers and possibly scholarships. I saw a lot of people on Reddit ranking Dell as being only above Foster and UTRGV, and I'm thinking wtf are these guys thinking? Dell offers so much more than a lot of other schools (read the entire thread and see all the other posts).

Same. I only have UTSW (pending my interview day there) and maybe McGovern above Dell currently. Tbh, A lot will depend on if i get prematch offers and possibly scholarships. I saw a lot of people on Reddit ranking Dell as being only above Foster and UTRGV, and I'm thinking wtf are these guys thinking? Dell offers so much more than a lot of other schools (read the entire thread and see all the other posts).

Those are my last two pending so far. McGovern is this Friday, what'd you think of the school that you'd rank it over Dell? And what'd you think about the interview experience? Thanks bro. Also lmfao, I saw that too. I was much more impressed with Dell as a new institution than any of the other schools I've been to thus far. Though ppl have their preferences.

Could you explain why you'd choose Dell over UTMB?

I just feel like the opportunities are great at Dell. It's a promising institution. Lots of funding, top faculty picked off from places like UCSF, and very different curriculum. What kind of sold it for me was the end of the interview day where the deans of diversity and student wellness talked to us. It seems like they really care about the student's health and mental wellbeing before tending to the health of others. For me personally, UTMB doesn't have an EM residency which kinda put it a bit lower in my book. Opportunities to get a dual degree or do a full year of research 3rd year are dope. It's still in a process to see if their structure works. The second years will take step next year, so we'll see how they do. Probably would only put UTSW above it rn.

Those are my last two pending so far. McGovern is this Friday, what'd you think of the school that you'd rank it over Dell? And what'd you think about the interview experience? Thanks bro. Also lmfao, I saw that too. I was much more impressed with Dell as a new institution than any of the other schools I've been to thus far. Though ppl have their preferences.

Mostly the med center to be honest. Dell's interview is still the most interesting I've been on. That group interview is nerve wracking tho. Everyone is trying to be super nice lol. The mmi threw me off at first then I got better midway.

Mostly the med center to be honest. Dell's interview is still the most interesting I've been on. That group interview is nerve wracking tho. Everyone is trying to be super nice lol. The mmi threw me off at first then I got better midway.

One of the first years told us that last year two people in a group interview stood up and started screaming at each other. I'm glad to say my group interview was pretty smooth with everyone collaborating well.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the first years told us that last year two people in a group interview stood up and started screaming at each other. I'm glad to say my group interview was pretty smooth with everyone collaborating well.

I think I wouldn't be too out of line to presume that those two applicants failed the 'working within a collaborative team' environment that Dell seeks in its students.

Reactions: 3 users
Just poking my head in as a TX resident who is still hoping for a secondary. I'm really happy to hear there's still a chance!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY got a secondary!! Can't believe they still send them out this late.

I'm scared doing my secondary so late. My laptop video card died a horrible death, and I just got a new computer I trust to be able to do the secondary. But I'm sick and look like I got hit by a bus and then **** on by Death himself. It's almost Halloween. Maybe I'll get points for scaring the ADCOMs.

I'm scared doing my secondary so late. My laptop video card died a horrible death, and I just got a new computer I trust to be able to do the secondary. But I'm sick and look like I got hit by a bus and then **** on by Death himself. It's almost Halloween. Maybe I'll get points for scaring the ADCOMs.

My computer died during the secondary

Oh. My. Geez. What happened after that?!!?!
There is only one attempt allowed for each question. My second question had maybe 20 seconds recorded. I signed back in and was allowed to record the third answer.
Lets hope they have some mercy!

There is only one attempt allowed for each question. My second question had maybe 20 seconds recorded. I signed back in and was allowed to record the third answer.
Lets hope they have some mercy!

Email the support guys. They let you re-record. Mine died to..they reviewed and reopened the questions for me. So I got a second crack at it when I already had time to process the question. I got an II if that matters

Any tips on the best way to prepare for this interview

Any tips on the best way to prepare for this interview

The group project was pretty straight forward. Nothing to really prepare for. The individual interview (or at least with my interviewer) was laid back and very conversational. She had my file, but nothing I would really say needed to prepare for other than just being comfortable with interviewing. Just The MMIs were all pretty straight forward as well. The only thing I guess I could say about them is just make sure you are able to think through complex scenarios and arrive at a decision/solution quickly. I think they are mainly interested in how you reason through issues. Don't know that helps much, but they do their best to make sure you feel comfortable throughout the entire thing. Just be genuine and be you.

Anyone else have a heart attack after finishing the video secondary? I need some albuterol, stat.

Anyone else have a heart attack after finishing the video secondary? I need some albuterol, stat.

I just straight up felt terrible. For all of my essays/interviews, I felt like I was in the okay/good range, but I was convinced I totally bombed this one. Still got an II somehow though!

Is anyone aware if *more* than 5 OOS applicants are accepted post-II? Clearly only 5 matriculate, but are more than 5 actually accepted? It seems unlikely that only 5 OOS people were accepted last year and all 5 people ended up attending.

I just straight up felt terrible. For all of my essays/interviews, I felt like I was in the okay/good range, but I was convinced I totally bombed this one. Still got an II somehow though!

That gives me hope. By the end of it I was thinking, "Was that response even English? Wifjkakdnkaokakskka."

Is anyone aware if *more* than 5 OOS applicants are accepted post-II? Clearly only 5 matriculate, but are more than 5 actually accepted? It seems unlikely that only 5 OOS people were accepted last year and all 5 people ended up attending.

Some of the OOS students that matriculated came off the waitlist, so there are definitley >5 acceptances.

I have been complete since mid july, is hope lost for Dell?

+1

At this point I feel like they probably have all 50 people already....lol
They told us at my interview that they interview up until January and that at last years January interview there were several that they ranked high because they felt were a good fit. Don’t give up hope yet!

+1

At this point I feel like they probably have all 50 people already....lol

They told us during my interview day that they are careful not to prematch a full class because they want to ensure seats are available for those who interview later in the cycle. If I remember correctly, they said they prematch about 40 people initially. But those are 40 highly desirable applicants and many will end up at Baylor, UTSW, or top OOS schools.

Just to add, the Director of Admissions, when asked indicated that percentage-wise, Dell's first two classes were filled with 60% prematch and 40% match. He did not differentiate the percentage of the two classes filled by wait-listed applicants.

Just to add, the Director of Admissions, when asked indicated that percentage-wise, Dell's first two classes were filled with 60% prematch and 40% match. He did not differentiate the percentage of the two classes filled by wait-listed applicants.

For the class of 2021, 17 people joined the Facebook after from 2/15 until June. A couple may have joined late because of other reasons, but the vast majority came off the waitlist. A bunch of people added early on (pre-match) went to UTSW, Baylor, Stanford.

Just received an invitation to the video secondary. I didn't think they were still sending them out this late, so not all hope is lost.

Reactions: 8 users
I freaked out when I saw a missed call from an Austin number. I got an II today for November 16th. I didn't even ask if other days were available. Oops.

TMDSAS transmit 8/31. Secondary complete 10/20. In-state applicant. LizzyM ~72-73

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II today. Offered nov 16th and 30th. Haven't picked on yet. LizzyM 76, In state
TMDSAS transmit 8-3-2017, secondary submitted 9-20.

Reactions: 6 users
II today. Offered nov 16th and 30th. Haven't picked on yet. LizzyM 76, In state
TMDSAS transmit 8-3-2017, secondary submitted 9-20.
Interview advice? From my understanding its mmi, traditional, and group? What are these ppl thinking?

Interview advice? From my understanding its mmi, traditional, and group? What are these ppl thinking?
The group one was easy-peasy. You just talk out a problem and come to a consensus in the alotted time. The MMIs were a bit different. You have 2 minutes to read a prompt and think about it, then walk into the room and talk about it for 5 minutes (I think it was). The person you're talking to might just stare at you, might ask you one follow up question, or might continually throw questions at you - I had the whole range - just keep on talking about your thoughts. If you run out of things to say you just sit there in super awkward silence. Then you leave that room and move onto the next. After the first one my nerves calmed down and the rest went much better. Just take a deep breath and know that if they didn't see something in you from you application, you wouldn't be there. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I just want to add that for those of you that are waiting for/just received a secondary, you have the option of requesting a written secondary if you do not feel comfortable doing the video secondary. I did this and received a II; as far as I know there is no downside to requesting a written one, but take that with a grain of salt. Just my 2 cents.

I just want to add that for those of you that are waiting for/just received a secondary, you have the option of requesting a written secondary if you do not feel comfortable doing the video secondary. I did this and received a II; as far as I know there is no downside to requesting a written one, but take that with a grain of salt. Just my 2 cents.

Congrats on the II!

Is the written secondary similar to what they had last year (i.e. several standard 4000 character essays) or is it a written version of the video secondary (e.g. something like CASPer)?

Congrats on the II!

Is the written secondary similar to what they had last year (i.e. several standard 4000 character essays) or is it a written version of the video secondary (e.g. something like CASPer)?

It was several standard 4000 character (don't remember the exact character limit, but that sounds right) essays! Hope that clears things up.

It was several standard 4000 character (don't remember the exact character limit, but that sounds right) essays! Hope that clears things up.

Well in that case there's definitely a downside: writing all those essays. The video secondary only takes six minutes. Haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone that interviewed here on Tuesday October 31st have Dell on their TMDSAS Rank order list?

Do we need to rank schools in order to prematch on Nov 15?