2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting
They said in December that they would have some interviews in January. Don't know if people have already gotten invites for those.

Members don't see this ad.

For the current students, I have a few questions:

1. I know Dell has more mandatory attendance than some other schools (DOCS and PILLARS). Let's say you have some important engagement (e.g. the wedding of a sibling abroad) and would like to miss half a week (or even a week) in the middle of a block. Is that something severely frowned upon or is it something you can make up without too much trouble?

2. First year is P/F. Is it also unranked? And how does grading work during clerkships?

3. How long is the holiday break during first and second years?

4. MS2 kicks off with "Milestone 0" on the curriculum, which looks like a week or two. Is that time off or some sort of clerkship orientation?

5. During clerkship year, I see there is an "intersession" between each core clerkship? Is that time off to study/relax?

Thanks! I'm going to Dell regardless, but I'm trying to get a sense of how my next two years are going to look.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. I’d say taking off a whole week might be difficult. People occasionally missed either the beginning or end of a week for important stuff, but not habitually. The required portion is generally only MWF from 8-10 am so people would also leave right after PILLARS on Fridays.

2. First year is P/F, unranked. Clerkships are H/P/F (no high pass), grades are combo of evals, shelf scores and some clerkships have an honors project (which is typically reasonable and actually seems to help boost you in my experience so far). Clerkships are ranked, count toward AOA, etc.

3. Holiday break for my MS1 year was 2 weeks and this year (MS2) was also 2 weeks. The MS1s this year got like 2.5 weeks so I think it kind of depends how the holidays fall, but minimum 2 weeks for sure.

4. Milestone 0 is a week of clerkship orientation stuff. So not vacation sadly. However you get 1.5 weeks off before Milestone 0 (I just think it’s not shown in the curriculum calendar they show online).

5. Intersession is various curriculum stuff (leadership, value-based care) that kind of develops over the clerkships year. So also sadly not time to relax lol. But it’s pretty chill.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

For the current students, I have a few questions:

1. I know Dell has more mandatory attendance than some other schools (DOCS and PILLARS). Let's say you have some important engagement (e.g. the wedding of a sibling abroad) and would like to miss half a week (or even a week) in the middle of a block. Is that something severely frowned upon or is it something you can make up without too much trouble?

2. First year is P/F. Is it also unranked? And how does grading work during clerkships?

3. How long is the holiday break during first and second years?

4. MS2 kicks off with "Milestone 0" on the curriculum, which looks like a week or two. Is that time off or some sort of clerkship orientation?

5. During clerkship year, I see there is an "intersession" between each core clerkship? Is that time off to study/relax?

Thanks! I'm going to Dell regardless, but I'm trying to get a sense of how my next two years are going to look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
1. I’d say taking off a whole week might be difficult. People occasionally missed either the beginning or end of a week for important stuff, but not habitually. The required portion is generally only MWF from 8-10 am so people would also leave right after PILLARS on Fridays.

2. First year is P/F, unranked. Clerkships are H/P/F (no high pass), grades are combo of evals, shelf scores and some clerkships have an honors project (which is typically reasonable and actually seems to help boost you in my experience so far). Clerkships are ranked, count toward AOA, etc.

3. Holiday break for my MS1 year was 2 weeks and this year (MS2) was also 2 weeks. The MS1s this year got like 2.5 weeks so I think it kind of depends how the holidays fall, but minimum 2 weeks for sure.

4. Milestone 0 is a week of clerkship orientation stuff. So not vacation sadly. However you get 1.5 weeks off before Milestone 0 (I just think it’s not shown in the curriculum calendar they show online).

5. Intersession is various curriculum stuff (leadership, value-based care) that kind of develops over the clerkships year. So also sadly not time to relax lol. But it’s pretty chill.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

To add to #1- a fair number of people in the class of 2021 got married over the break, went on their honeymoon over the break, etc. The mandatory attendance stuff would frown on someone taking a week off for something like that. However, people get sick, or have something else come up and miss the required sessions without much of a problem. If you know of a wedding well in advance, I'm sure they'd be happy to work with you. The only required class that I heard of people having to do makeup work for is the interprofessional education part. They make you write a bunch of essays, and it's clearly designed to be punitive for missing the session.

Hey everyone,

I was accepted on the 21st and just received my award letter this evening.

25%, in case anyone is interested.

Congratulations on being accepted!

As far as I'm aware, everyone gets at-least a 25% scholarship from Dell that is recurring for 4 years. There's also a bit of money that comes directly from UT. It brought my scholarship amount up to ~50% for this year. I'm not sure if everyone gets it, or if it is only for one year and disappears thereafter. That's something else to look out for if you choose to attend!

Congratulations on being accepted!

As far as I'm aware, everyone gets at-least a 25% scholarship from Dell that is recurring for 4 years. There's also a bit of money that comes directly from UT. It brought my scholarship amount up to ~50% for this year. I'm not sure if everyone gets it, or if it is only for one year and disappears thereafter. That's something else to look out for if you choose to attend!

Is that something you applied for or did it just happen automatically?

To add to #1- a fair number of people in the class of 2021 got married over the break, went on their honeymoon over the break, etc. The mandatory attendance stuff would frown on someone taking a week off for something like that. However, people get sick, or have something else come up and miss the required sessions without much of a problem. If you know of a wedding well in advance, I'm sure they'd be happy to work with you. The only required class that I heard of people having to do makeup work for is the interprofessional education part. They make you write a bunch of essays, and it's clearly designed to be punitive for missing the session.

Thanks. I'll talk to the school about it once I start. I know already I have to attend a Saturday wedding in Europe for a close family member. I was hoping to leave Tuesday night, but that would mean missing Wednesday and Friday's mandatory classes. Maybe I'll leave Wednesday instead and only miss one day's worth of required stuff. I'll just do whatever the school recommends.

Thanks. I'll talk to the school about it once I start. I know already I have to attend a Saturday wedding in Europe for a close family member. I was hoping to leave Tuesday night, but that would mean missing Wednesday and Friday's mandatory classes. Maybe I'll leave Wednesday instead and only miss one day's worth of required stuff. I'll just do whatever the school recommends.

If I were you I’d at least go into it knowing there was some chance you’ll have to miss it as several people on my interviews mentioned how they planned their OWN weddings around Dells or another schools schedule so missing time for someone’s else’s wedding could be seen as questionable. Again I’m also am entering ms1 so idk how this all goes over with med schools either.

Matched at Dell 10 minutes ago. Whoa. See some of y'all in a few months!

Matched this morning. Feeling incredibly blessed and humbled right now.

For those out there still waiting - Keep your heads up. Last year I applied and received 0 interview invites. Fast forward to this year getting a prematch to one school, and then matching to my top choice. You never know what is in store for the future, but if you quit pursing your dreams than they will definitely never come true.

I don't want to be super cheesy but I also feel compelled to say thank ya'll to everyone who has been posting on this thread and the other threads for Texas Schools. Every single one of you has been a constant source of support, encouragement, and information which I know I have benefitted from. We are definitely stronger supporting each other and seeing people come together like this is an inspiration.

Okay cheese over, lets party!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Pre-matched here but today was the icing on the cake!! Dell was my top choice and I'm unbelievably excited to get to go here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-matched, but withdrew before rankings deadline. Hopefully, those who are still waiting for Dell will get good news sooner rather than later.

Loved everything about Dell.

GL!!!

Reactions: 1 users
How do we find out if we are waitlisted? I tried calling but it seems like I'm calling a wrong number.

How do we find out if we are waitlisted? I tried calling but it seems like I'm calling a wrong number.

You are automatically waitlisted at all TMDSAS schools you interviewed at and which are ranked above the highest school at which you matched. You remain on the waitlist until you receive either an acceptance or rejection. If that sounds a little confusing, assume your rank list was:

1. UTSW
2. Dell
3. UTMB
4. Tech

If you matched at UTMB, you are now on the waitlist at UTSW and Dell and out of consideration at Tech.

Any of you that pre-matched/matched going to the preview weekend?
Any clue what's covered on that Saturday?
I'm working my schedule now to make sure I can be there.

Any of you that pre-matched/matched going to the preview weekend?
Any clue what's covered on that Saturday?
I'm working my schedule now to make sure I can be there.

I will definitely be at the Saturday portion. Maybe not the basketball game since I want to spend the afternoon and Sunday looking at housing options. Trying to get off Friday so I can make it in time for dinner.

I will definitely be at the Saturday portion. Maybe not the basketball game since I want to spend the afternoon and Sunday looking at housing options. Trying to get off Friday so I can make it in time for dinner.

Same (on the housing).
Moving a whole family comes with....a potential logistical nightmare.

I feel your pain!!!
Same here!. Selling my current home, wife finding a new job, a good preschool for the kid, and new place to live... Fun times ahead. Luckily I have a friend who is a realtor in the area who I am currently begging for help.

Same here!. Selling my current home, wife finding a new job, a good preschool for the kid, and new place to live... Fun times ahead. Luckily I have a friend who is a realtor in the area who I am currently begging for help.

Mind sharing your realtor friend's contact info...? ;)
#Same, only it's the husband finding a job. Good thing kids are so resilient!

Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptances to what will likely become one of Texas' top medical schools! I am a graduate of UTMB from a few years ago. How many students is Dell accepting this year? Also, if there are any current students, it would be interesting to hear what you think of the curriculum.

I'm assuming everyone who didn't match got the email today about the waitlist? The email says they have applicants ranked on the waitlist, is this info going to be available or do they keep it private?

I'm assuming everyone who didn't match got the email today about the waitlist? The email says they have applicants ranked on the waitlist, is this info going to be available or do they keep it private?
Yuuuuup. Almost certainly private, but if you would like to call and ask..... :)

Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptances to what will likely become one of Texas' top medical schools! I am a graduate of UTMB from a few years ago. How many students is Dell accepting this year? Also, if there are any current students, it would be interesting to hear what you think of the curriculum.
I believe they accepted 50 this year.

They are accepting 50 this year. What did you want to know about the curriculum?

Yuuuuup. Almost certainly private, but if you would like to call and ask..... :)

You will have better luck breaking into Fort Knox and getting away with a truckload of gold than getting Dell to divulge material info regarding the wait list ranking...

You will have better luck breaking into Fort Knox and getting away with a truckload of gold than getting Dell to divulge material info regarding the wait list ranking...

This seems the be the theme in Texas which is silly given the fact that other schools seem to have no issue being transparent

This seems the be the theme in Texas which is silly given the fact that other schools seem to have no issue being transparent

I think it's totally possible that some schools don't even have a rank-ordered list, but more of an "alternate pool" that they reevaluate as spots open up.

I think it's totally possible that some schools don't even have a rank-ordered list, but more of an "alternate pool" that they reevaluate as spots open up.
I think I remember they said they had two OML - the complete list and then the OOS list - at the interview. Either way, the wait-list email made it pretty clear that they were not accepting application updates at this point.

Any waitlist news? For those of you who have been accepted, do you get the sense that a large majority of the current class will be matriculating?

Currently planning a move to the school I matched at, but I'm holding out hope :)

Any waitlist news? For those of you who have been accepted, do you get the sense that a large majority of the current class will be matriculating?

Currently planning a move to the school I matched at, but I'm holding out hope :)
I would hazard a guess that those currently holding a Dell acceptance could still give it up for:
1. a preferred Out of State med school
2. a spot at Baylor, as there will still be some offers coming out in the next couple of months
3. either of the above due to a change in personal circumstances or a change in heart about attending Dell, a school with nontraditional curriculum and schedule
there is a lot of time before WL movement and its domino effect will happen (up to May & June)

You should be making your preliminary plans to move to your other match location, though. If you don't sign a lease, at least start scouting places with a realtor.

I think a current student on this thread or last year's mentioned that based on the facebook group's member movement, it looked like about 40% percent of the class came off the waitlist. But research that number yourself, as I'm just going from memory. My anecdotal experience at the preview dinner was that perhaps 1/3 of those I spoke to were undecided with the remainder committed to attending (or at least saying they were).

I heard a staff member at Preview weekend say that they gave out 57 spots (class size = 50) expecting some to drop. I didn't confirm this with anyone else or ask any follow up questions.

I think a current student on this thread or last year's mentioned that based on the facebook group's member movement, it looked like about 40% percent of the class came off the waitlist. But research that number yourself, as I'm just going from memory. My anecdotal experience at the preview dinner was that perhaps 1/3 of those I spoke to were undecided with the remainder committed to attending (or at least saying they were).

Not quite 40%, but a good number of students were from the waitlist. 15 people were added to the facebook group between March to June, with 12 being added in May and the very beginning of June. May was when most of the movement occurred. There may have been more offers extended to students that were already accepted to another school and did not switch to Dell during that time. The dean still makes a personal call when you're pulled off the waitlist. They went down to about the 110th out of the 350 students that interviewed last year when all was said and done.

My anecdotal experience in talking with some new students at the preview weekend was similar to yours. Most are set to matriculate, but a number were still weighing their options.

Man it's been quiet around here. Has anyone heard of or seen any WL movement lately?

Withdrew my application from the WL today. Of course I was probably number 300 on the list...

Got pulled off the waitlist yesterday! I am leaning towards going here over Long.