2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The secondary portion of Dell Med's application this year will be a video secondary, with students getting online with a webcam and answering 3 questions with 2 minutes each to record an answer.
From their web page:
Invitation to Submit Secondary Application
In an effort to give a greater number of applicants the opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice, Dell Medical School utilizes a unique video secondary application. Applicants selected for the Full Review will be sent an invitation to complete the video secondary application. This invitation e-mail will include a link to the application portal, as well as instruction on how to prepare for the interview. There is no fee for completing the video secondary which consists of 3 short questions. Candidates will have two minutes to record their responses to each question. These questions address specific attributes related to the mission of Dell Medical School and give the candidate an opportunity to highlight how they feel their experiences complement this mission.

The priority deadline for completion of the video secondary is November 15th. The Full Review will not be initiated until the video secondary is complete and all information including transcripts, evaluation letters, and MCAT scores are submitted to TMDSAS. Candidates who feel that they would be better represented in a written format, will be given the opportunity to request a written version of the secondary application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
UT Dell Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UT Dell? Please complete an interview feedback survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received email from Dell, secondary will be a video questionnaire (if invited)

Got the email too. I am happy to do three two minute videos rather than four 4000 character essays.

Although the email is ambiguous, it makes it sounds like we will not know the questions in advance. We just log into, see the question, and get two minutes to respond. That's almost like an MMI. That will make me a little nervous but I'd still prefer it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we have the option to still do the written essays or do we have to do the video secondary? The email they sent out today didn't say anything about it, but my pre-med advisor forwarded an email to the students from Dell that said this "Candidates who feel that they would be better represented in a written format will have the option to submit a written version of their secondary application answers in place of a video."

Does anyone know if we have the option to still do the written essays or do we have to do the video secondary? The email they sent out today didn't say anything about it, but my pre-med advisor forwarded an email to the students from Dell that said this "Candidates who feel that they would be better represented in a written format will have the option to submit a written version of their secondary application answers in place of a video."

Man, don't get my hopes up. That would be heaven sent if options are available....

Reactions: 1 user
Although the email is ambiguous, it makes it sounds like we will not know the questions in advance. We just log into, see the question, and get two minutes to respond. That's almost like an MMI. That will make me a little nervous but I'd still prefer it.

How do you know that is the format? When I read their email, I imagined it to be something that you can record on your own time and then upload it.

Last edited:
How do you know that is the format? When I read their email, I imagined it to be something that you can record on your own time and then upload it.

I didn't say I knew the format. I said the email was ambiguous but that's what it looked like to me. The things I considered were:

1. We have to access a "video secondary portal." That, to me, sounds like some sort of controlled environment. If they were just going to give us three questions and wanted a two minute video for each, they would just ask us to upload three two minute videos.

2. It says that in addition to receiving the invite, you will receive "a guide of helpful tips." It does not, however, say you will receive the questions.

3. Most importantly, the email says AAMC is doing it to. Well here is the AAMC description and there it is completely unambiguous: You do not get the questions in advance. You get 30 seconds to read the question and then your time to record your answer starts. No breaks until the time to record ends. No do overs.

I didn't say I knew the format. I said the email was ambiguous but that's what it looked like to me. The things I considered were:

1. We have to access a "video secondary portal." That, to me, sounds like some sort of controlled environment. If they were just going to give us three questions and wanted a two minute video for each, they would just ask us to upload three two minute videos.

2. It says that in addition to receiving the invite, you will receive "a guide of helpful tips." It does not, however, say you will receive the questions.

3. Most importantly, the email says AAMC is doing it to. Well here is the AAMC description and there it is completely unambiguous: You do not get the questions in advance. You get 30 seconds to read the question and then your time to record your answer starts. No breaks until the time to record ends. No do overs.
And no pressure.

And no pressure.

Yeah, there's some pressure, but we're all in the same boat. If you can't give them what they're looking for in this format, you probably won't give them what they want during the MMI format on interview day. So if that's the case, I rather they save me the trouble of writing four 4000 character essays and a trip to Austin.

How are you guys preparing for the video questionnaire/is there a good way to prepare?

@gyngyn The secondary portion of Dell Med's application this year will be a video secondary, with students getting online with a webcam and answering 3 questions with 2 minutes each to record an answer.
From their web page:
Invitation to Submit Secondary Application
In an effort to give a greater number of applicants the opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice, Dell Medical School utilizes a unique video secondary application. Applicants selected for the Full Review will be sent an invitation to complete the video secondary application. This invitation e-mail will include a link to the application portal, as well as instruction on how to prepare for the interview. There is no fee for completing the video secondary which consists of 3 short questions. Candidates will have two minutes to record their responses to each question. These questions address specific attributes related to the mission of Dell Medical School and give the candidate an opportunity to highlight how they feel their experiences complement this mission.

The priority deadline for completion of the video secondary is November 15th. The Full Review will not be initiated until the video secondary is complete and all information including transcripts, evaluation letters, and MCAT scores are submitted to TMDSAS. Candidates who feel that they would be better represented in a written format, will be given the opportunity to request a written version of the secondary application.

@gyngyn Candidates who feel that they would be better represented in a written format, will be given the opportunity to request a written version of the secondary application.

I am so glad that the option to skip the video secondary has been confirmed!! :claps:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so glad that the option to skip the video secondary has been confirmed!! :claps:

But is it a disadvantage to the applicant if they choose to do written instead of video? I'd imagine the adcom would prefer to see us in a more personable way although I personally would prefer to be able to write something so it's easier to edit...

I think that Dell recognizes that since using a video secondary is being offered for the first time and it is new, some applicants might not have the means to be able to submit a secondary via video. I surmise that if it works out well for this applicant class, then Dell might consider taking away the written option in upcoming cycles.

I don't believe it will be a disadvantage to take the written option because it is the status quo. Why would Dell offer it as an option if there is a disadvantage associated with going with the status quo? In any event, as an applicant, you must determine which avenue shows you in the best light.

GL

Got the secondary invite today. I'm out of town for work this week with a packed schedule so I plan to do it this weekend.

Since I'm sure someone will ask: IS, submitted TMDSAS second half of May, LizzyM ~80.

Edit: To be fully accurate, I submitted a complete app to TMDSAS the first week of May but it transmitted second half of May.

Last edited:
Transmitted to schools on 5/31 and I haven't received anything yet.

Do y'all think Dell offers secondaries on a rolling basis or do they send out a bunch at one time?

Do y'all think Dell offers secondaries on a rolling basis or do they send out a bunch at one time?
They do screen the primary applications before sending out secondary invitations, so I think of it as putting the applications in a "yes" pile (the ones who are getting secondaries pretty promptly) and a "maybe" pile. The Maybes might get an invitation, but later after Dell sees what other apps are coming in.

Congrats to all you guys. If one of you does the video today or tomorrow, could you report back with your general impressions? I will do it over the weekend and report back with my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if the mock questions are viewed by the adcom?

Does anyone know if secondary invites are only sent once the application is completed? I currently have everything completed except my recommendation letters, which my school hasn't sent yet. Would the review process only begin once the letters are sent in?

Does anyone know if secondary invites are only sent once the application is completed? I currently have everything completed except my recommendation letters, which my school hasn't sent yet. Would the review process only begin once the letters are sent in?
Yes they will look at the completed primary application.

Yes they will look at the completed primary application.
I think you are wrong. My school is yet to send out committee letters and I got my secondary invite last week

Reactions: 1 users
Transmitted 5/31. Got the confirmAtion email but still no secondary invite :/

Congrats to all you guys. If one of you does the video today or tomorrow, could you report back with your general impressions? I will do it over the weekend and report back with my thoughts.

I am doing the secondary on Sunday, what were your thoughts on it??

What's an MMI?

Got the email too. I am happy to do three two minute videos rather than four 4000 character essays.

I've done a similar interview for a Proscribe service. It's kind of disconcerting, especially given the fact that you're not speaking directly to anyone. It was a mix of typed and verbal responses. At one point I was speaking my response when I was supposed to be typing, or vice versa, laugh out loud!

I'm applying outside of Texas and to DO schools as well. The secondary app for Southwestern requires this similar (if not same) video interview format JUST to interview in person. There are about 10-15 schools that utilize the service CASPer that I noticed when signing up for the online interview.

Also, I just submitted my primary TMDSAS app today, so I'm assuming I probably won't hear back from them for a good month and half.

How long did you guys wait to hear back after submitting primary?

I've done a similar interview for a Proscribe service. It's kind of disconcerting, especially given the fact that you're not speaking directly to anyone. It was a mix of typed and verbal responses. At one point I was speaking my response when I was supposed to be typing, or vice versa, laugh out loud!

I'm applying outside of Texas and to DO schools as well. The secondary app for Southwestern requires this similar (if not same) video interview format JUST to interview in person. There are about 10-15 schools that utilize the service CASPer that I noticed when signing up for the online interview.

Also, I just submitted my primary TMDSAS app today, so I'm assuming I probably won't hear back from them for a good month and half.

How long did you guys wait to hear back after submitting primary?
I submitted primaries on 6/1 and was transmitted on 6/13. Then started receiving secondaries as early as 6/14. I hope the process goes speedily for you as well!

Here's a newsletter/info from Dell Med, telling about a few members of their 2017 entering class and some other information. You can subscribe to it via email if Dell is your place of interest.
The Next Class of Future Physician Leaders | REthink
Remember that Dell is looking for students who are passionate about health care and willing to try something new, so if you are afraid to try their "video secondary" think again, get yourself into a positive mood, and go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I receive that newsletter. I love their approach to healthcare, and would easily make it my number one school besides, UTRGV (similar focus) and UTMB Galveston. I've read that their in person interview is "different" than others. Thanks for sharing your encouragement and spreading positivity!
Here's a newsletter/info from Dell Med, telling about a few members of their 2017 entering class and some other information. You can subscribe to it via email if Dell is your place of interest.
The Next Class of Future Physician Leaders | REthink
Remember that Dell is looking for students who are passionate about health care and willing to try something new, so if you are afraid to try their "video secondary" think again, get yourself into a positive mood, and go for it!

Okay so a bit late with my reply, but I did the video secondary. Two questions were fairly straightforward, one was a little harder but still fair. The biggest surprise was how fast two minutes goes by. Definitely practice a bit to get used to how long two minutes is.

Be careful about not giving much background info. For example, if the question asks about what experience X taught you, don't spend to much time talking about experience X before getting to what it taught you. This will burn through your two minutes. You need to just get to it.

I don't think this is anything to stress over (although I certainly did).

Reactions: 6 users
Okay so a bit late with my reply, but I did the video secondary. Two questions were fairly straightforward, one was a little harder but still fair. The biggest surprise was how fast two minutes goes by. Definitely practice a bit to get used to how long two minutes is.

Be careful about not giving much background info. For example, if the question asks about what experience X taught you, don't spend to much time talking about experience X before getting to what it taught you. This will burn through your two minutes. You need to just get to it.

Thanks for letting us know! Do you have time after you've seen the secondary questions to prepare your response? Or does it take you straight to the response video portion? I still haven't received a secondary but hoping they get to me lol!

Thanks for letting us know! Do you have time after you've seen the secondary questions to prepare your response? Or does it take you straight to the response video portion? I still haven't received a secondary but hoping they get to me lol!

You get 30 seconds to get ready. But the question is repeated twice and there is a short pause between the questions. So assuming you understand the question the first time it's presented, you should have closer to 60 seconds.

Reactions: 3 users
You
You get 30 seconds to get ready. But the question is repeated twice and there is a short pause between the questions. So assuming you understand the question the first time it's presented, you should have closer to 60 seconds.

You da real MVP. Thanks

Let me caveat my assessment by noting that I'm a non-trad with over 10 years of work experience. All of my answers were drawn from my work experience. I think, personally, I would have been a bit more hard pressed to answer well if I were limited to my undergrad activities. But keep in mind that I was not a premed as an undergrad and my undergrad ECs are pretty weak compared to most competitive traditional premeds.

I think the key to doing well is to read about Dell's mission and the attributes they're looking for and then be prepared to talk about those things in relation to your ECs and academic experiences.

I'm a traditional applicant with normal undergrad experiences and thought the video secondary was pretty normal. I practiced with some of my own mock questions about an hour before I did the actual secondary and that helped a lot. I was nervous before but you definitely shouldn't be! It's not bad at all.