2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who went to the first interview date give their impressions on the interview process and general atmosphere of the school? Everything on their website looks really amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who went to the first interview date give their impressions on the interview process and general atmosphere of the school? Everything on their website looks really amazing!

Dell is great. Interview process is a mix of standard interview, mmi and a group interview. They have a new level 1 trauma hospital that is pretty nice. Plus they have a ton of rotations available because UTMB and Southwestern kids regularly used to rotate around Austin. They also have lots of nice residency positions - about 200+ that they took over from Southwestern. Uhmmm the school itself is pretty nice and chill. Everyone there seems like they really like each other - 50 guys + lots of collaboration exercises and teams that rotate often = everyone becomes super tight with everyone else. You start rotating in 2nd year which means you get to do the doctor thingy quicker and the MS2s don't think the condensed curriculum is too much. Some MS2 mentioned already studying for Step 2 before taking step 1 which seems like something I'd be into. Seriously Dell has a bunch of really cool professors poached from other top programs around the country. If only they had published step scores, they'd probably be my top TX school.

Reactions: 2 users
Dell is great. Interview process is a mix of standard interview, mmi and a group interview. They have a new level 1 trauma hospital that is pretty nice. Plus they have a ton of rotations available because UTMB and Southwestern kids regularly used to rotate around Austin. They also have lots of nice residency positions - about 200+ that they took over from Southwestern. Uhmmm the school itself is pretty nice and chill. Everyone there seems like they really like each other - 50 guys + lots of collaboration exercises and teams that rotate often = everyone becomes super tight with everyone else. You start rotating in 2nd year which means you get to do the doctor thingy quicker and the MS2s don't think the condensed curriculum is too much. Some MS2 mentioned already studying for Step 2 before taking step 1 which seems like something I'd be into. Seriously Dell has a bunch of really cool professors poached from other top programs around the country. If only they had published step scores, they'd probably be my top TX school.

Thanks for your input! It actually is my top choice; I love everything they say they stand for. I've had interviews at Tech and UTMB so far that seemed very laid back. Should I expect a much more intense interview experience at Dell?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! It actually is my top choice; I love everything they say they stand for. I've had interviews at Tech and UTMB so far that seemed very laid back. Should I expect a much more intense interview experience at Dell?

I've had UTMB. Dell's standard interview and group will likely be way chiller than any other place. The mmi is interesting... But overall the interview day experience at Dell was better than UTMB in my humble, subjective opinion

Reactions: 1 users
I've had UTMB. Dell's standard interview and group will likely be way chiller than any other place. The mmi is interesting... But overall the interview day experience at Dell was better than UTMB in my humble, subjective opinion

Well I greatly appreciate your humble, subjective opinion! I'm pretty psyched. And I think MMIs are supposed to be "interesting" every where from what I've heard haha. Good luck on your cycle :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to provide a response to this that isn't incredibly vague since nobody knows the MMI questions besides the admissions staff and there are a bunch of them. Your best bet is google some sample MMI questions to get an idea of what they may look like, as well as some strategies as to how best answer them. Last year none of mine were crazy off the cuff scenarios. They were similar to examples you can find online
Do we answer the MMI questions for the entire 6 minutes we have for the response or will the rater prompt us with follow up questions if there's time left?

Do we answer the MMI questions for the entire 6 minutes we have for the response or will the rater prompt us with follow up questions if there's time left?

You may get prompting to clarify your views / thoughts or to make you think of new ideas from some of the interviewers. Others may not say anything throughout the entire duration, except to confirm what you said, or may just sit completely silent. You are not required to keep talking for the entire duration. If you made all of your points prior to the end, it is both perfectly normal, and expected to sit in awkward silence.

Some of the MMI interviewers are responsive to you continuing a conversation not related to the MMI (what do you do here?), others are not. I think they're told to not talk about things outside of the MMI topics.. But, again, sitting in awkward silence is not a bad thing.

how long until after your primary was submitted did it take to get a secondary invite?

how long until after your primary was submitted did it take to get a secondary invite?

It's gonna be diff for everyone. Mine took a lot longer while other people who submitted after me (mostly very high stat applicants) were starting to even receive IIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's gonna be diff for everyone. Mine took a lot longer while other people who submitted after me (mostly very high stat applicants) were starting to even receive IIs.

I submitted August 8! I have a super high mcat but avg gpa. Still no news for secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay thanks. You probably had a really great app!

Honestly, not really. I have an exceptional GPA but a relatively low MCAT. I wasn't even expecting a secondary from them and was shocked when I got one. I'm convinced there must be something really specific that they liked in my app. Don't worry though, it's only August and the secondaries go out through November. Don't count yourself out!

Honestly, not really. I have an exceptional GPA but a relatively low MCAT. I wasn't even expecting a secondary from them and was shocked when I got one. I'm convinced there must be something really specific that they liked in my app. Don't worry though, it's only August and the secondaries go out through November. Don't count yourself out!

Congratulations! I'm sure whatever it was that impressed them made your app stand out. Well done! A secondary from dell is a big accomplishment

You may get prompting to clarify your views / thoughts or to make you think of new ideas from some of the interviewers. Others may not say anything throughout the entire duration, except to confirm what you said, or may just sit completely silent. You are not required to keep talking for the entire duration. If you made all of your points prior to the end, it is both perfectly normal, and expected to sit in awkward silence.

Some of the MMI interviewers are responsive to you continuing a conversation not related to the MMI (what do you do here?), others are not. I think they're told to not talk about things outside of the MMI topics.. But, again, sitting in awkward silence is not a bad thing.

I think that Dell is unique among Texas schools in that it has an MMI. I know that my prehealth advising department didn't really prepare me for an MMI and I've been brushing up this last week on my own, so forgive me for my ignorance, but are we allowed to jot down notes in the 2 minute reading section? My research shows that it could go either way. Also, would we be expected to be as eloquent in our verbal response as if we were writing a response down?

Has anyone recently gotten a secondary or do you think they're done handing those out?

I think that Dell is unique among Texas schools in that it has an MMI. I know that my prehealth advising department didn't really prepare me for an MMI and I've been brushing up this last week on my own, so forgive me for my ignorance, but are we allowed to jot down notes in the 2 minute reading section? My research shows that it could go either way. Also, would we be expected to be as eloquent in our verbal response as if we were writing a response down?

MMIs are both good and bad in that you can't really prepare for them like you can for a traditional interview. Every situation is different-- but everyone is also seeing it for the first time, so you're on the same level. I think you can take notes.. Don't know for sure. I'd recommend against it. A lot of people end up looking at their paper more than the interviewer if they take notes. You do not have to be perfectly eloquent like you've spent a decade being interviewed on national television. But, if you ramble so much that you can't convey what you're looking to say, that is obviously negative. Overall, don't stress too much. The MMIs are strange at first, but are easy towards the end

I had a rough time with the video secondary. **sigh**

Last edited:
I had a rough time with the video secondary. **sigh**

Don't worry I thought I bombed my first question on the secondary, but received an II a week after submission. So keep your hopes up!

Thank you! Really appreciate you both!!!

Gonna add that I thought I bombed two questions on that secondary so as long as you didn't start mumbling about making a boatload of money, you probably gonna get a fair shot

Gonna add that I thought I bombed two questions on that secondary so as long as you didn't start mumbling about making a boatload of money, you probably gonna get a fair shot

Thanks Ortho..Have fun in El Paso!!(saw your post there)

MMIs are both good and bad in that you can't really prepare for them like you can for a traditional interview. Every situation is different-- but everyone is also seeing it for the first time, so you're on the same level. I think you can take notes.. Don't know for sure. I'd recommend against it. A lot of people end up looking at their paper more than the interviewer if they take notes. You do not have to be perfectly eloquent like you've spent a decade being interviewed on national television. But, if you ramble so much that you can't convey what you're looking to say, that is obviously negative. Overall, don't stress too much. The MMIs are strange at first, but are easy towards the end

Thanks for your response! I do know that I have a tendency to ramble, so I'll remain vigilant of that. But you're right - I'll definitely try not to stress too much!

II today. LizzyM ~69, GPA 3.8+, app transmitted late May, MCAT released mid July, secondary completed late July.

I feel like I absolutely bombed the video secondary, so this one was a complete surprise to me. I came up with loads of things to say after my 2 minute window, but getting all those thoughts together in 30 seconds was not my forte. So fear not, those who also feel like they bombed, there is hope! Now to somehow prepare for those MMIs...

Delllllll!! Where's the love?? I have one of your computers!!!

v48dx.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
If dell shows me love I'll use their computers for the rest of my life.

Got at call this morning with a 512 area code that woke me up. With breathless anticipation, I answered. Dang it telemarketers! Ahhhhhhh!

Millennial.jpg

They funded everyone who was in their opening class, they're affiliated with probably the strongest supporting science faculty outside of HSYP. Translation: people who could have went to HMS went to Dell instead, and with good reason.

This is slightly misleading. As someone who works here at Dell Med I can assure you that neither of the first two classes were fully funded.

II this morning skrrt

Which is something because I totally thought I bombed that secondary

II this morning skrrt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations! When were you complete and what dates were you offered? I still don't have a secondary yet so I'm just staying hopeful that I'm not in their garbage lol but that hope is slowly dying.

Congratulations! When were you complete and what dates were you offered? I still don't have a secondary yet so I'm just staying hopeful that I'm not in their garbage lol but that hope is slowly dying.

Thanks! I think I was complete 8/6? And they call you with a specific date you're scheduled for. Mine's 9/19. I wish you all the best dude

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Secondary from Dell received today. Submitted early July.

Reactions: 5 users
II by phone today, secondary received 6/22 submitted and complete 7/11.

Received a II by phone yesterday as well! Secondary received 7/30, and complete 8/4. I thought there was no chance since I felt like I bombed the secondary!

Received a II by phone yesterday as well! Secondary received 7/30, and complete 8/4. I thought there was no chance since I felt like I bombed the secondary!

Congratulations!!!

II yesterday!! Is Urm lm ~70. Complete mid august.

Also thought i absolutely bombed the secondary

Last edited:
Why worry about Step scores? Step is 99.9999% about you as a student and .0001% about the school. Almost everywhere in Texas has a 99% pass rate which means they adequately prepare students for it, so if you're really worried about Step then just make sure you study for Step a lot!

Why worry about Step scores? Step is 99.9999% about you as a student and .0001% about the school. Almost everywhere in Texas has a 99% pass rate which means they adequately prepare students for it, so if you're really worried about Step then just make sure you study for Step a lot!

Lol. Tbh. I currently have them ranked as number 1 but I'm yet to see UTSW so it's hard to know if my opinions may change

I don't necessarily think that's true. Why is Baylor step average so much higher than everyone else's, including many prestigious OOS schools? Is it really that the students are smarter?

I don't necessarily think that's true. Why is Baylor step average so much higher than everyone else's, including many prestigious OOS schools? Is it really that the students are smarter?
Eh, they aren't tremendously higher IMHO. Would love to see a Confidence Interval for it. Besides, it would be a stretch to say that any school's Step scores are causally related to their curriculum. Far more likely it has to do with the type of students they recruit.

Eh, they aren't tremendously higher IMHO. Would love to see a Confidence Interval for it. Besides, it would be a stretch to say that any school's Step scores are causally related to their curriculum. Far more likely it has to do with the type of students they recruit.
Maybe not causally, but research is showing that earlier clinical experience-->higher step scores. Baylors scores are probably higher than most because of a combination of the factors mentioned, but I do believe that the curriculum will have an impact on step scores.

Maybe not causally, but research is showing that earlier clinical experience-->higher step scores. Baylors scores are probably higher than most because of a combination of the factors mentioned, but I do believe that the curriculum will have an impact on step scores.
Fair enough!

Fair enough!

And the Baylor thing is actually interesting. They've been doing the 18 month curriculum for like 20yrs and they've had so much success with it that lots of schools just started doing it. They consistently score top 3 Nationwide which cannot be attributable to only the students they admit. Another interesting case is UTMB that have raised their step by switching from professors setting their individual exams to shelf NBME exams thoroughout preclinicals. So many ways to go about doing it