2021-2022 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for those who have been accepted this cycle or in the previous years.

Did anyone feel a little meh about their traditional interview experience and still get in? I felt I could have done a better job on that portion, but on the aspects of the interview day I felt I really shined.

Members don't see this ad.

Omg prematched 20 minutes ago! (I am freaking out)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call for an II today!!!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
For those of you who interviewed, what was it like? What was the structure of the interview. MMI/traditional/group. TYIA!

Reactions: 1 user
Dell’s interview day was long. Get a good night’s sleep before that!

It went:
Check in at 8.
Convos with a student rep until 8:45.
Intro presentations from multiple deans and an MS4 until 10.
MMI from 10-whenever I finished.
Lecture about diversity and inclusion from 11:30-12:00.
Lunch from 12:00-12:20. Honestly I just slept in my suit.
Student panel from 12:20-1:00.
Interview with faculty from 1:00-1:30.
Student conversation from 1:30-2:00.
Group interview from 2:00-until whenever I finished.
Closing remarks from another dean about wellness from 3:00-3:45.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Dell’s interview day was long. Get a good night’s sleep before that!

It went:
Check in at 8.
Convos with a student rep until 8:45.
Intro presentations from multiple deans and an MS4 until 10.
MMI from 10-whenever I finished.
Lecture about diversity and inclusion from 11:30-12:00.
Lunch from 12:00-12:20. Honestly I just slept in my suit.
Student panel from 12:20-1:00.
Interview with faculty from 1:00-1:30.
Student conversation from 1:30-2:00.
Group interview from 2:00-until whenever I finished.
Closing remarks from another dean about wellness from 3:00-3:45.
Wow that is a lot of interviewing! Thank you so much for the thorough response!

I can’t remember if this was answered somewhere else and I can’t find it in the interview emails - does Dell accept letters of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who might look at this thread the next cycle - Dell's last interview day for this cycle is February 10th.

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone who sent in a post interview LOI (if anyone), who did you address it to? I’ve read proper protocol is to address it to the Dean of Admissions, but Dell has a unique chain of command and I’m not entirely sure who that is…

Thanks

only after you've interviewed.
Aw man, I thought they said they didn't accept letters. I interviewed back in September, do you think its too late to send them a letter of interest? I don't want the letter to seem like it was an afterthought. Dell is my top choice.

Aw man, I thought they said they didn't accept letters. I interviewed back in September, do you think its too late to send them a letter of interest? I don't want the letter to seem like it was an afterthought. Dell is my top choice.
I interviewed yesterday and they said you can submit a letter to them, but it will not be send to the admission team to eliminate biases. Hope this helps!

I really liked Dell in my interview and am likely to rank it first. My only worry is that UT Southwestern and Baylor are more established med schools and have big hospital systems available. Also I am a traditional med student and Dell focuses a lot on the non traditional. Thoughts on these three?

I really liked Dell in my interview and am likely to rank it first. My only worry is that UT Southwestern and Baylor are more established med schools and have big hospital systems available. Also I am a traditional med student and Dell focuses a lot on the non traditional. Thoughts on these three?
A better place to compare schools to each other is in the Help Me Decide forum.
Search the titles for others who are making the same comparisons as you Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School (2021-2022)

And oh yeah, rank deadline is tomorrow before 5 pm!

what way is Dell focusing on non-traditional?

In many cases, your gutfeelings are usually a better guide than what a whole bunch of strangers can tell you. The others who can truly advise you are those who know your personality well and can analyze where you fit in more easily. It is 4 years of your life.

what way is Dell focusing on non-traditional?

In many cases, your gutfeelings are usually a better guide than what a whole bunch of strangers can tell you. The others who can truly advise you are those who know your personality well and can analyze where you fit in more easily. It is 4 years of your life.
Dell class profile Student Demographics | Dell Medical School

I don't know if you would count those having advanced degrees as being nontrads or not. Average age of matriculants is 24.
I would say the word nontraditional refers more to Dell's curriculum than to their cohort, but it's important to consider that too and know yourself. Would you like the creative freeform of it all, or do you prefer a more traditional didactic method?

Matched! Cycle done!

• Love
Does anyone know if there is an accepted students FB or groupme?

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if there is an accepted students FB or groupme?
I have a link to the FB group! I was sent it when I prematched, but I’m not sure I have permission to share it because it was sent by an adcom.

The facebook group is public, but requires approval. Probably will take the weekend. Facebook

Reactions: 1 users
How do waitlists work at this school? Do they automatically put you on one or are you contacted? And if you haven't been contacted yet, is there a possibility of being put on the waitlist in the future?

If you didn’t match somewhere else, you are added to their waitlist automatically.
How do waitlists work at this school? Do they automatically put you on one or are you contacted? And if you haven't been contacted yet, is there a possibility of being put on the waitlist in the future?

If you didn’t match somewhere else, you are added to their waitlist automatically.
Do you mean if Dell wasn't your first choice? I thought applications were always active at your top choice. I matched to my second choice and I'm definitely thankful, but I hope it doesn't mean that I can no longer go to Dell.

Do you mean if Dell wasn't your first choice? I thought applications were always active at your top choice. I matched to my second choice and I'm definitely thankful, but I hope it doesn't mean that I can no longer go to Dell.
You can be put on WLs at any schools you had ranked higher than the school you matched to. The schools lower than your match school (if you were lucky enough to have 3 or more interviews) should drop out of the running for you.
One member above says that Dell adds everyone who interviewed/didn't match to their WL.
I was under the impression that Dell's WL was more limited, but this is a new year and a new Dean so I don't know the final answer to this.

Sorry, I'm realizing my post was confusing and without context. I agree you can be put on WLs at schools you ranked higher. You also can be added if you didn't match any school at all.

When I applied in 2018, I didn't match at Dell. I don't think I ever got an email letting me know I was placed on Dell's waitlist, but a few months later I got an admissions offer so I can only assume I was automatically added to their WL. Things definitely could have changed since then.

Sorry, I'm realizing my post was confusing and without context. I agree you can be put on WLs at schools you ranked higher. You also can be added if you didn't match any school at all.

When I applied in 2018, I didn't match at Dell. I don't think I ever got an email letting me know I was placed on Dell's waitlist, but a few months later I got an admissions offer so I can only assume I was automatically added to their WL. Things definitely could have changed since then.
Thank you for letting me know! Did you send in a LOI during that time frame?

Not a Dell Med Student, but here is their live stream if you have the time to watch

I watched Dell’s match, and it was pretty fantastic for a small school!

Admissions are winding down for the year, but are not over. At this time in 2019, I had no acceptances to any school. I was literally in the library studying for another MCAT (mine was expiring, oops) when I got the call I’d been accepted off the waitlist.

For those of you in similar positions at this point, it is time to start preparing to re-apply or take a year to strengthen your app. The only thing you can control at this point is your preparation. If you get accepted in May/June, it will be a sweet reward for all that dedication.

Stay hopeful, but stay practical.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got a phone call for an A!!! I’m beyond words rn!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what Dell’s fafsa code is?