2020-2021 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My invitation to complete the video secondary came by e-mail. The interview invite came by phone call, and once it was accepted, I received an e-mail confirmation.
Oh I can't read haha, that's good to know

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else IS not received a secondary yet? I was transmitted 7/16, have a LizzyM of 71 and a few II at other schools so I find it a bit odd to not even get a chance at a secondary when they are planning to interview 20% of ALL Tx applicants. Maybe I just didn't fit their mission?

I personally know quite a few applicants with similar stats who have not received a secondary. Interestingly enough, the information posted on Dell's Secondary itself was no different from last year. That is, at some application cycle in the past, they only interviewed 7% of applicants, and then in a subsequent cycle, they interviewed about 20% of applicants. I am not sure that the statement applies for this cycle. I was mistaken on a previous post in this thread.

I personally know quite a few applicants with similar stats who have not received a secondary. Interestingly enough, the information posted on Dell's Secondary itself was no different from last year. That is, at some application cycle in the past, they only interviewed 7% of applicants, and then in a subsequent cycle, they interviewed about 20% of applicants. I am not sure that the statement applies for this cycle. I was mistaken on a previous post in this thread.
Dell said this year they would interview 20% of the applicants, compared to 7% in years past. I haven’t seen them state how many applicants get invited to do the secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else IS not received a secondary yet? I was transmitted 7/16, have a LizzyM of 71 and a few II at other schools so I find it a bit odd to not even get a chance at a secondary when they are planning to interview 20% of ALL Tx applicants. Maybe I just didn't fit their mission?
Their narrowing down process starts with issuing the secondary since they dont want to review so many candidates to select so few for an interview.

same here still haven't received a secondary

Haven't gotten a secondary. IS LizzyM 72. Transmitted 7/3

I understand that. Just would be a bit surprised that I was not ranked in their top ~40% of applicants (assuming a generous 50% of secondaries get II), that's why I was wondering if others are in the same boat, which could indicate some delays in the reviewing process.
You would be correct if there is an automated process that determines who gets secondaries (most other Texas schools give one to every applicant?).

This is a manual process and someone would need to review each applicant to determine if they fit the institutional charter before they issue the secondary. Not sure how the process changed this year but last year, they would issue secondaries, review them and issue interviews based on who they pick from that list of secondaries. So if they issue secondaries on a daily basis after reviewing the primary, the chances are that they are invited for an interview within 2-4 weeks and in a lot of cases, the interview dates are within a week or two of when they call.

It really does not matter when they issue the secondary in the process described above because the process is controlled at each level - issue so many secondaries each week and select only so many for interviews after that.

My interview date was set about a month from when they called.
You were in the first batch of invitees based on this thread. The earliest reported interview date seems to be September 1st although they started calling on 6th.

You were in the first batch of invitees based on this thread. The earliest reported interview date seems to be September 1st although they started calling on 6th.

Ah, okay. They offered me 15 September, but that could be because I missed their first call and had to call them back later in the afternoon. Earlier slots could have been filled by then.

Hi! I am not sure if anyone has this information but I am curious to know if Dell is considering expanding their class sizes. Their previous class sizes are pretty small (around 50). Since they are interviewing a lot more people this cycle, do you think they will be slowly increasing class sizes too?

Hi! I am not sure if anyone has this information but I am curious to know if Dell is considering expanding their class sizes. Their previous class sizes are pretty small (around 50). Since they are interviewing a lot more people this cycle, do you think they will be slowly increasing class sizes too?
Dell has a class size of 50 per year and has no plans to increase it at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get a secondary pretty early on and still not receive an interview? Granted, my secondary wasn't the smoothest thing I've ever done, but I didn't think I $%^* the bed that hard....

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else get a secondary pretty early on and still not receive an interview? Granted, my secondary wasn't the smoothest thing I've ever done, but I didn't think I $%^* the bed that hard....
+1 Lol. Submitted secondary 7/21 and still waiting for that golden call :, )

Last edited:
submitted secondary july 6th and still waiting :( stats are a little on the lower side though so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Yeah :/ for my own sanity I'm just going to assume I've been screened out and that way anything from here on out is a pleasant surprise :cool:

Reactions: 4 users
II today via telephone at 9:45.
IS, secondary complete July 13.
LM 71

I'm for sure reading too much into this but has anyone been followed by Dell or UTHealth Austin on social media? I was the other day and I didn't know if anyone else has any info on that.

I'm for sure reading too much into this but has anyone been followed by Dell or UTHealth Austin on social media? I was the other day and I didn't know if anyone else has any info on that.
You have to be aware of your social media presence during your year-long application cycle. Be positive, be wholesome, or possibly make your social media accounts limited to friends only or set to private.

just received a secondary!

gonna be honest here, was NOT expecting any love from Dell but i'll happily take it.

congrats! that gives me a lot of hope lol it's hard just sitting and waiting for the Dell 2˚ and IIs
thank you!

& yeah, i’ve learned that the best thing to do during this crazy process is just wait, be patient, and good news will come at unexpected times lol

Has anyone heard about if Dell is going to be doing the same interview style as previous cycles given the virtual interviews? I'm sure the 1-on-1 will remain the same as well as the MMIs, but curious about if they are sticking with their group interview as well.

Has anyone who was complete early in the cycle received a secondary recently? My primary was transmitted back in June but I'm still holding out hope haha

What's up party people? I'm an MS2 at Dell, feel free to message me questions or tag me in them here if you want student opinion. Idk how interviews are working this year, so I cannot help you with that! But culture/mission/vibe, curriculum, etc I can answer.

Reactions: 5 users
Has everybody who received a secondary invite been notified via phone call only? I'm the type of person who hangs up on unknown callers 99% of the time so this is making me slightly nervous... Are people willing to share the number or at least the area code? XD
Late reply to your question, @supusenor, but the Austin TX area codes are 512 and 737. Dean Johnston sometimes makes calls himself (mostly for offers of admission) and apparently his cell phone still has a California area code :)

Late reply to your question, @supusenor, but the Austin TX area codes are 512 and 737. Dean Johnston sometimes makes calls himself (mostly for offers of admission) and apparently his cell phone still has a California area code :)
The lady called me also had her name on the phone, so you would know that the call is legit and not a spam

What's up party people? I'm an MS2 at Dell, feel free to message me questions or tag me in them here if you want student opinion. Idk how interviews are working this year, so I cannot help you with that! But culture/mission/vibe, curriculum, etc I can answer.
hi!! I'm an OOS'er in love with the curriculum at Dell. Are all OOS'ers truly super high stats applicants? I'm at the median for most things

hi!! I'm an OOS'er in love with the curriculum at Dell. Are all OOS'ers truly super high stats applicants? I'm at the median for most things
I don’t know the answer to this one! We have 1-2 OOS per class and I’ve never asked them their undergrad stats. I think passion re: a particular field or with a particular population that is demonstrated in ECs and essays will go a long way for anyone at Dell. A very project-oriented culture, imo. I had low stats, but IS.

Last edited:
They had only 2 people in MS2 batch but they have 4 in the MS1 batch (they are allowed 5).

how long did everyone take to submit the secondary upon receiving?

i've had it for a week now since i've been putting it off due to nerves lol

When I received it, I wasn't in a place where I could complete it without distractions. I waited about a week.

About a week. Honestly, it was really nerve-racking for me, but it ended up being fine! Look up Dell's mission and values and think of experiences that demonstrate those values well. Practice for an hour or so into the camera and you should be good to go! It was definitely weird, and I thought I bombed one of the three questions but still ended up getting an II. Dell's secondary was a blessing in hindsight because all it really takes is an afternoon to complete.

awesome! thanks for the replies guys/girls.

gonna knock it out tonight.

I took a whole month lol, but it's not too bad. Relax and be yourself!

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary? Should I just expect it to be a presecondary rejection/ Would it be crazy to e-mail them asking about it?
They send out their secondaries gradually after they read your primary attentively. A different approach than most TX schools.

II received. secondary transmitted July 15.

" Dell Medical School utilizes a unique secondary application, a video secondary. Our goal is to give a greater number of applicants an opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice. Currently only about 7% of the total applicant pool receives an interview. We hope to extend this opportunity to more than 20% of the applicant pool this year without the added expense of travel. Once completed and reviewed, we will then invite approximately 360 candidates for an on campus interview. "

does dell have 2 interviews? 1 virtual and the other in-person.

" Dell Medical School utilizes a unique secondary application, a video secondary. Our goal is to give a greater number of applicants an opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice. Currently only about 7% of the total applicant pool receives an interview. We hope to extend this opportunity to more than 20% of the applicant pool this year without the added expense of travel. Once completed and reviewed, we will then invite approximately 360 candidates for an on campus interview. "

They had 5148 applicants and interviewed 7% translating to 360 students. So not sure if there are expecting to do a two round thing this year which sounds onerous for the students.

I'm pretty confused about that "360 candidates for an in-person interview" phrase myself. I think it may not have been edited out of last year's verbiage.
Focus on the virtual interview and wait for updates from them about that other bit :)

Reactions: 2 users

From what I was told by a Dell re-applicant, that was the exact same email word for word as last year. I think the "currently only about 7% of the total applicant pool receives an interview" actually refers to their secondary invite, not a traditional interview invite.

Edit: grammar