2021-2022 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Since they call people for an interview invite, do they send an email at all confirming the interview or if you miss the call?

Secondary received! Transmitted July 29th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who interviews at Dell this month, could you let us know if they tell you anything about how many applicants get secondaries/interview invites this cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
With their unique curriculum structure/timeline does anyone know if it is possible to do the HPSP program at Dell?

Members don't see this ad :)
With their unique curriculum structure/timeline does anyone know if it is possible to do the HPSP program at Dell?
That's a super-specific question for Dell and I'm sure a query to admissions is your best bet to find out.

Just had my interview--for anyone stressing, don't! It's very relaxed: I didn't prepare at all other than looking up some stuff specific to the school, and everything seemed to flow well. The only reason I'd prepare is if you're super awkward or robotic and are nervous about the trad interview. Other than that, just plunge in!

Reactions: 2 users
for those who've received secondaries, when was your primary transmitted and how long did it take them to send the secondary after that?

for those who've received secondaries, when was your primary transmitted and how long did it take them to send the secondary after that?
Primary transmitted 7/30. Dell “received” it 7/31. Secondary came 6 days later 8/6.

Primary Mid July, Secondary a week later, interviewed this past week

I just got a secondary! I am so excited! My application was transmitted on 7/6.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of applicants get secondaries from Dell?
I read that they get about ~4800 primaries, and send out 600-800 secondaries. I have not seen how many of those get interviews. So, that is like 12-16% receive secondaries.

I read that they get about ~4800 primaries, and send out 600-800 secondaries. I have not seen how many of those get interviews. So, that is like 12-16% receive secondaries.
Since they have a limited number of seats, they have specific number of possible secondaries they want to review and further cut back to only so many interviews. So I wouldn't read it as a percentage but as a total they can give out at 600 or 700 or whatever the current number is as what they deem as possible to review after prescreen.

So 8000 people can apply next year but they will still be limited to same number of secondaries until their school size goes up from 50.

What is surprising is that U of H is already doubling but nothing has changed at Dell in their 7th year.

Since they have a limited number of seats, they have specific number of possible secondaries they want to review and further cut back to only so many interviews. So I wouldn't read it as a percentage but as a total they can give out at 600 or 700 or whatever the current number is as what they deem as possible to review after prescreen.

So 8000 people can apply next year but they will still be limited to same number of secondaries until their school size goes up from 50.

What is surprising is that U of H is already doubling but nothing has changed at Dell in their 7th year.

It seems Dell is trying to send out secondaries to more than 20% of applicants. The number of interviews appears to remain fixed at about 360 which has historically accounted for 7% of applicants.

From Dell's receipt of primary application email: "Dell Medical School utilizes a unique secondary application, a video secondary. Our goal is to give a greater number of applicants an opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice. Currently only about 7% of the total applicant pool receives an interview. We hope to extend this opportunity to more than 20% of the applicant pool this year without the added expense of travel. Once completed and reviewed, we will then invite approximately 360 candidates for an on campus interview."

It seems Dell is trying to send out secondaries to more than 20% of applicants. The number of interviews appears to remain fixed at about 360 which has historically accounted for 7% of applicants.

From Dell's receipt of primary application email: "Dell Medical School utilizes a unique secondary application, a video secondary. Our goal is to give a greater number of applicants an opportunity to present themselves to the selection committee in their own voice. Currently only about 7% of the total applicant pool receives an interview. We hope to extend this opportunity to more than 20% of the applicant pool this year without the added expense of travel. Once completed and reviewed, we will then invite approximately 360 candidates for an on campus interview."

Thanks for providing the updated information. I think the interview I read, where I got the numbers I posted, was pre-COVID.

For those who have already interviewed here, do you have any insight into how the day went? My interview is this week and it's my top choice school so I'm definitely nervous!

+ II! Secondary complete mid August. URM, IS, 508, 3.9+!

Reactions: 4 users
II received today! Complete mid to late August. ORM, IS, LM 75

They screen on stats as well right? I have a 3.5cgpa, 3.3sgpa, and 505 MCAT but have not received a secondary. My app was transmitted May 26th, I guess that means I was probably screened out right? I knew it was a long shot anyway but oh well. :cautious:
Don’t give up hope I got a 505 MCAT, cgpa of 3.8, s gpa 3.9 and got an interview from them this cycle. They told me they holistically screen for secondaries and interviews.

Don’t give up hope I got a 505 MCAT, cgpa of 3.8, s gpa 3.9 and got an interview from them this cycle. They told me they holistically screen for secondaries and interviews.
Thank you haha but I still never received even a secondary, Its all good though I've had luck with other schools!

Thank you haha but I still never received even a secondary, Its all good though I've had luck with other schools!
It’s still early in the cycle!! My MCAT was 508 with a super-sub 125 section score and I was interviewed. You just never know. Keep ya head up!!

• Care
After people get secondaries, how long does it take to actually hear back (3-5 weeks maybe?), and do you have to submit it right away?

After people get secondaries, how long does it take to actually hear back (3-5 weeks maybe?), and do you have to submit it right away?
The secondaries at this school are sent out gradually and to selected students only (based on qualities that come across in your primary app and letters). If you are interested in the school you should complete the secondary promptly.
The first date acceptances can be offered is October 15.

The secondaries at this school are sent out gradually and to selected students only (based on qualities that come across in your primary app and letters). If you are interested in the school you should complete the secondary promptly.
The first date acceptances can be offered is October 15.

what about the interview after secondary completion?

II this morning! I've been waiting for this one for weeks and I thought I'd botched the secondary!

II this morning! I've been waiting for this one for weeks and I thought I'd botched the secondary!
+1 II this morning! Completed secondary in early August and also felt like I did eh on it

Last edited:
  • Love
For those of y'all that have interviewed, is Dell listed on your rank list on the TMDSAS website? Mine has not shown up and its been a few weeks

For those of y'all that have interviewed, is Dell listed on your rank list on the TMDSAS website? Mine has not shown up and its been a few weeks
Mine is in, but don't sweat it. It doesn't matter until we get closer to Match Day. It'll come.