2022-2023 Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dell Med does not use a written secondary application, but will screen applicants and offer those they are interested in an invitation to complete a video-response secondary.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Texas - Dell Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from one high-stat applicant (IS) that has received a secondary invitation. Not sure when the date of it will be.

Are they keeping it video-based this year according to this applicant? I only got the initial email saying I was under review.

Hi! Does anyone know if Dell requires all LORs to be received by TMDSAS before sending secondary invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's an outline of Dell's evaluation of your applications. They do more preliminary screening than other schools and send out fewer secondary app invitations. Although Dell can take up to 10% OOS, last year there was only 1 OOS of 50 matriculants (2%).

Application Details | Dell Medical School

Last year they stated they would try to extend a secondary invitation to about 20% of their applicant pool, and eventually interview a total of 360 applicants.
I'm not trying to discourage any of you about Dell, but letting you know the reasons that getting a secondary is not instant or automatic the way it is at most other TMDSAS schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's an outline of Dell's evaluation of your applications. They do more preliminary screening than other schools and send out fewer secondary app invitations. Although Dell can take up to 10% OOS, last year there was only 1 OOS of 50 matriculants (2%).

Application Details | Dell Medical School

Last year they stated they would try to extend a secondary invitation to about 20% of their applicant pool, and eventually interview a total of 360 applicants.
I'm not trying to discourage any of you about Dell, but letting you know the reasons that getting a secondary is not instant or automatic the way it is at most other TMDSAS schools.

They email Dell sent out this year upon receiving the primary app said the same thing about planning to issue secondaries to 20% of applicants. They mentioned only sending them to 7% of the pool during previous cycles, so the 20% deal sounds great if they follow through with it.

They email Dell sent out this year upon receiving the primary app said the same thing about planning to issue secondaries to 20% of applicants. They mentioned only sending them to 7% of the pool during previous cycles, so the 20% deal sounds great if they follow through with it.

Will they send rejection letters to everyone else or just ghost?

Secondary invite just now!! Shocked!! Instate.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary invite as well!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats guys! I didn't get one :( Dell is my dream school so fingers crossed I will get one eventually.

Congrats guys! I didn't get one :( Dell is my dream school so fingers crossed I will get one eventually.

Dell continues inviting throughout the application season! :) Fingers crossed for you!

My interpretation of their email is that they plan to interview 20% of applicants (and up from interviewing 7% in previous cycles) as opposed to issuing secondaries. Does anyone else feel differently?

Reactions: 1 users
My interpretation of their email is that they plan to interview 20% of applicants (and up from interviewing 7% in previous cycles) as opposed to issuing secondaries. Does anyone else feel differently?
I think this is accurate. Also, as @geologist said, they space out their secondary invitations over many months - to kind of see the variety and selection of applicants before making choices about their secondary app pool.

You're correct. I made a mistake. Dell's email says they plan to extend interviews to around 20% of applicants. Thanks for pointing that out!

Did everyone that got a secondary have their LORs processed and sent over to Dell by TMDSAS? Mine were just finally processed today by TMDSAS so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Although I heard they don’t need LORs for secondary invites. Thanks!

Current MS1, they have said the same thing in that email for the past 3 years so I have no idea what the actual numbers have been.

congrats! when did y'alls primaries get transmitted?
Mine was verified and transmitted on with my letter packet and MCAT scores on June 9th. It was all complete when submitted, and I got my invite yesterday.

Did everyone who got secondaries yesterday have all LORs transmitted? I still need my committee letter to be delivered and idk if they're waiting on that or if I didn’t get selected

Did everyone who got secondaries yesterday have all LORs transmitted? I still need my committee letter to be delivered and idk if they're waiting on that or if I didn’t get selected

All of my LORs were transmitted along with my primary. Had em loaded in the TMDSAS app well before it was transmitted.

522/3.56 in state URM, didn’t receive one yet. Kinda bummed cause dell is also my top choice, but think it might also have to do with my LORs not being in yet. I only have one letter processing so far the other 2 still need to be submitted but my app has been transmitted since early June. Anyone get the secondary without having letters transmitted?
Don't worry, they are just not as automatic with their secondaries as the other TMDSAS schools. They really read your primary essays in detail first. Also see my post above: #27

522/3.56 in state URM, didn’t receive one yet. Kinda bummed cause dell is also my top choice, but think it might also have to do with my LORs not being in yet. I only have one letter processing so far the other 2 still need to be submitted but my app has been transmitted since early June. Anyone get the secondary without having letters transmitted?
Any specific reason your MCAT and GPA are so disproportionate?

• Hmm
Explained in their WAMC post, and do we expect perfection of the numbers? nope
Didn't see the post. Michigan seems to be always the wrong place for Texans to be. I know someone who is joining your favorite med school cardiology EP faculty who spent 2 years at Michigan, had a low GPA, went to India to continue undergrad and medicine and just completed EP advanced fellowship.

A terrible first semester where I was deathly sick the entire time and ended up with a 2.8, took a lot of work to recover from that honestly. I also just feel like Michigan is a tough school grading-wise, the average med school acceptee from U of M undergrad had a 3.7 cGPA and a 514 MCAT based on official reporting from them. Kind of unfortunate how the average pre med acceptee there is scoring in the 88-90 percentile range on the MCAT but has a 3.7 which is considered “sub-par” by a lot of people on here and school adcoms too. Even during my time there talking to other pre-meds, plenty of the smartest folks I knew were getting Bs in the harder classes. Proud of ending up with a 3.56 honestly and still feeling good about my app with my MCAT and clinical experience (hopefully being URM helps too so I hear).
I am hoping being URM gives you some leeway on the GPA. Texas schools are notorious for the need for high GPA.
Dell does work for people with uneven stats which is one reason you see students listed from well known schools as long as they are Texas residents. Good luck with your application season.

Does everyone finish the Dell secondary feeling like, "What the heck did I even just say!?" Haha!

I think this is accurate. Also, as @geologist said, they space out their secondary invitations over many months - to kind of see the variety and selection of applicants before making choices about their secondary app pool.
Is their process for screening for secondaries really random then? Like I remember on their website that they say it doesn't really correspond to the date we submitted our primaries or when they got transmitted. So there's really no telling if and when we'll get one?

Is their process for screening for secondaries really random then? Like I remember on their website that they say it doesn't really correspond to the date we submitted our primaries or when they got transmitted. So there's really no telling if and when we'll get one?
It is not random - they read and analyze your primary application.
It is not in order of submission date if that's what you meant.

It is not random - they read and analyze your primary application.
It is not in order of submission date if that's what you meant.
I might not have been clear. I meant random as the order in which they'll send out secondary applications.