2022-2023 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A this morning off the WL as an OOS applicant! I couldn't be more THRILLED. dreams do come true!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Got the OOS A yesterday! Anyone know if there is an accepted chat floating around?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the OOS A yesterday! Anyone know if there is an accepted chat floating around?
There will be an email going out to you soon with links to the FB class page and other things you'll need to get done before orientation.

withdrew from this school this evening for a spot at another program. Best of luck to whoever gets my spot.

Hey, congrats to everyone who has recently been accepted. I noticed some people said they received a call a few days before, is this true for everyone? About how long after the call did you get an offer from the WL? I am wondering because I received a call almost a week ago and haven't heard anything yet, so I'm wondering if I was passed over or something. Appreciate the help

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, congrats to everyone who has recently been accepted. I noticed some people said they received a call a few days before, is this true for everyone? About how long after the call did you get an offer from the WL? I am wondering because I received a call almost a week ago and haven't heard anything yet, so I'm wondering if I was passed over or something. Appreciate the help
I got the call Thursday (5/11) at ~2:45pm CT and received the acceptance email Monday (5/15) 11:15am CT.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else not receive the link to the FB class page? Seems like I received everything else besides that. It's been about a month or so since my acceptance.

If any current TTUHSC students could answer this question that would be super helpful! in a hypothetical scenario, if you had a once in a lifetime personal event coming up in october that has been planned since last november which would require you to miss one week of school, would the school be flexible and work with you so you can go to this pre-planned once in a lifetime personal event (i.e., take any exams early or plan to take exams proctored online) if you give them a significant amount of notice? Thanks!

If any current TTUHSC students could answer this question that would be super helpful! in a hypothetical scenario, if you had a once in a lifetime personal event coming up in october that has been planned since last november which would require you to miss one week of school, would the school be flexible and work with you so you can go to this pre-planned once in a lifetime personal event (i.e., take any exams early or plan to take exams proctored online) if you give them a significant amount of notice? Thanks!
It depends on when in October it is. October is kind of a tough month to get out of stuff only because it is the end of anatomy and there's a P3 week. Anatomy ends with 2 exams in a 4 day period ending on October 13, and there's still mandatory Anatomy lab and lab clean up during the first half of October. P3 week is the following week but depending on how it's laid out you might be able to get out of Thursday and Friday if there are only electives on those days. If the week you need off is after October 20th you shouldn't have any problem since you'll have a few weeks before your first GPX exam, although missing study time before the Biochem exam is risky in itself.

With that said you can always reach out to Dr. Cobb in the student affairs office for clarification.

Here's the school calendar if you'd like to reference it.

It depends on when in October it is. October is kind of a tough month to get out of stuff only because it is the end of anatomy and there's a P3 week. Anatomy ends with 2 exams in a 4 day period ending on October 13, and there's still mandatory Anatomy lab and lab clean up during the first half of October. P3 week is the following week but depending on how it's laid out you might be able to get out of Thursday and Friday if there are only electives on those days. If the week you need off is after October 20th you shouldn't have any problem since you'll have a few weeks before your first GPX exam, although missing study time before the Biochem exam is risky in itself.

With that said you can always reach out to Dr. Cobb in the student affairs office for clarification.

Here's the school calendar if you'd like to reference it.

It would be the entire week of October 9th-13th. This life event was also outlined in my application and all my update letters. Really really REALLY hoping they would be flexible enough to allow this to happen as it truly may never happen again lol.

It would be the entire week of October 9th-13th. This life event was also outlined in my application and all my update letters. Really really REALLY hoping they would be flexible enough to allow this to happen as it truly may never happen again lol.
Most likely, none of the people who read your app or essays will be teaching you. That said, you could always call in sick and submit a doctor's letter if they dont consider your once in a lifetime event as important as you deem to be although I doubt that. You show up to school, check your schedule and make individual arrangements with the faculty teaching your classes. If you tell them in July you need to miss a week in October they will give you some options but if you wait until September they might not be as favorable.

Here is an example of a note from a rotation coordinator at a medical school before rotation started.

Other absence requests: An attempt will be made to accommodate any other absences such as the following (please send all special requests now and no later than XXXXX):

• YOUR Wedding

• Planned medical/healthcare appointments for you (proof of attendance might be requested)

• Attendance at a professional meeting, including whether you are a presenter at that meeting (proof of registration/acceptance with dates of absence will be required)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on what this event is. Are you playing in the world chess finals? Meeting the Pope? Going to a Taylor Swift concert?

It really depends on what this event is. Are you playing in the world chess finals? Meeting the Pope? Going to a Taylor Swift concert?
Only Taylor Swift concert sounds interesting enough. :)

I saw on the news that some parent spent 21k for their kids tickets.

Could any current students share how much time the school of medicine dedicates to USMLE Step 1 preparation?

Could any current students share how much time the school of medicine dedicates to USMLE Step 1 preparation?
For my class that just took Step 1, our final in-house exam was on February 14th. We had until May 6th to sit for Step 1. If you were not ready to take step before then you had to delay your 1st clerkship which is 8 weeks which meant you had to take it before July 1. The school determines whether you are ready to sit for Step based on CBSE exams they conduct in-house. You have to score above a 64 on the exam to gain approval to sit for the exam. In my opinion they give you plenty of time to prepare, most people took step by early April and had a month or more off before the start of 3rd year rotations.

For my class that just took Step 1, our final in-house exam was on February 14th. We had until May 6th to sit for Step 1. If you were not ready to take step before then you had to delay your 1st clerkship which is 8 weeks which meant you had to take it before July 1. The school determines whether you are ready to sit for Step based on CBSE exams they conduct in-house. You have to score above a 64 on the exam to gain approval to sit for the exam. In my opinion they give you plenty of time to prepare, most people took step by early April and had a month or more off before the start of 3rd year rotations.
Does the same go for STEP 2? Also what are the average STEP 2 scores/ is that information posted anywhere?

For current students, is it okay to miss the scopes and scrubs event? Thank you.

Hi! I recently got an interview invite at Lubbock and was curious about how many invites they generally send as well as how many people usually get accepted post interview!!! Thank you so much for your advice :)

Hi! I recently got an interview invite at Lubbock and was curious about how many invites they generally send as well as how many people usually get accepted post interview!!! Thank you so much for your advice :)
You may find this helpful. There might be data that is more recent, but this is from 2021. According to it, TTU sends out ~850 interview invites and accepts roughly 40% of in-state interviewees and 55% of out-of-state interviewees. Keep in mind that the OOS statistics will change drastically from year to year as it has a small sample size so a single extra acceptance could make a big difference.

TTU publishes this information at US News and World Report. You have to pay to access it there.

Last edited: